Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2007, 03:52   #151
BHPian

from what i have read/heard/seen cardio is best done on days you are not lifting weights or use cardio as a warm up before weightlifting.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:28   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
from waht my friends have told me back in the US, cardio is good after weighlifting.
if i was in ur position, i would ask for a scientific explanation.
Old 24th April 2007, 10:33   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
dude stop smoking, i know its unsoclicited advice, but still...
Its indeed a good advice but I tried hard to quit. Will try again . Thanks buddy!
Old 24th April 2007, 10:56   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if i was in ur position, i would ask for a scientific explanation.
I used to do cardio before weights.
But after 3 kms on the treadmill or 40 minutes on the crosstraner etc., I felt drained. I felt difficulty in increasing weights.
The trainer suggested doing cardio afterwards, and it works, I do more weights now, and don't feel drained.
After the cardio though thats another story. At 12.5 my Hemoglobin is near the lower limit, all that chicken eating you see.
So now its time to hit upon liver etc.,
Old 24th April 2007, 11:18   #155
BHPian

well this is what i have been doing for the past 6 weeks and shed 15 kgs and 4 inches on my waist

All protien diet no carbs maybe 20 gms of carbs a day that is like a cup of broccli and a cup of cucumber a 3-4 km walk every day

now all that is left is to tone up my upper body ...any advice ?
Old 24th April 2007, 11:24   #156
Senior - BHPian

I do cardio before weights (for about 15 minutes) Helps in warming up the body and hence less injuries. As you continue, you will recover from the cardio fatigue. Yes, trainer do suggest a little cardio before weights and more after you are done with weights to free up your locked muscles.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:24   #157
Team-BHP Support

Bench press! Inclined straight and decline.
Plus add shoulder rods. I do lot of shoulder because my strength on the left side went really low after the accident last year.
With these exercises, mobility is much more now, and now I can drive in rush hour traffic for hours without my shoulder aching
Old 24th April 2007, 11:30   #158
BHPian

You need to join a gym. Get a personal trainer to chart out a 3/5 day workout schedule for you (depending on your needs and time that you can take out). And ensure that you do not miss out on working out your lower body (thighs, calves, etc.).
Please ensure that you continue with your walk/cardio, etc. and go big on protein. I know that you have heard most of this before but this can just be a revision of facts.
Best of luck.
See ya soon in Noida
Old 24th April 2007, 11:49   #159
BHPian

My summer Workout (ripping)

My Summer Routine:

Monday : Chest & Shoulders >
Chest : Warm up - Pushups (3 sets)
Flat Bench Press : (3 Sets )
Incline Dumbell press : (3 Sets)
Decline Fly : (3 Sets)
PecDec : (3 Sets)

Shoulders: warm up Double bar (3 sets)
Overhead Smiths : (3 sets)
Side lateral :(3 Sets)
Rear Delts : (3 Sets)
and to complete the exercise... dips with a Dumbell on the back.

Tuesday : 30 Mins cardio and Side Obliques

Wednesday: Back : Warm up wide grip pull ups (3 Sets)
deadlifts : (3 Sets)
barbell Rows : (3 Sets)
Wide grip lat pull downs: (3sets)
Chinups : (3 Sets)
Single arm rowing : (3 sets)
Dumbell Pullovers : (3 Sets)

Thursday : 30 mins cardio and Side obliques again (hate Abs)

Friday : Biceps & Triceps (I do heavy and light on these muscles every alternate week, in other words one week heavy biceps and light triceps, second week vice versa)
Warm up : close grip pullups 3 sets
Biceps : Barbell curls : 3 sets ( 4th set goes to 7 - 21's or drop set for the fourth one,only to shock the muscles)
Dumbell curls : 3sets
Preacher curls (dumbell) : 3 sets
Hammer Curls : 3 sets

Triceps: Warmup close grip pushups.
Skull crushers : 3 sets ( sometimes to shock the muscle do all sets of 7-21's)
Close grip bench press: 3sets
One arm over head dumbell: 3sets
Press downs super setted with Power press downs: 3 sets each of both the workouts.
Kickbacks : 3 Sets Alternate week

saturday : warm up : 3 sets only barbell sits up
barbell situps : 3 sets
Leg press: 3 sets
leg raises 3 sets:
Calve raises: 6 sets

God... it took a lota time to put in this post. Anyws about the weights , they differ every week, 1st week, light weights with 15reps each, second week Medium weight ranging from 12 reps to 10 reps each set. third week heavy 10-8 reps or until failure.

will keep this workout for atleast 3-4 weeks and then change.
No DIET following...at all
Old 24th April 2007, 11:49   #160
Team-BHP Support

My humble suggestion, don't mix the two.

Do 1KM or 10 minutes of running before the weights, that will be loosen your muscles, basically that's your warm up. After the weights, walk in brisk pace while reducing the pace slowly, that's your cool down.

Do your full cardio next day. In other words, do your cardio and weights regimen on alternate days. If you want to do both same day, do cardio in the morning and weights in the evening.

Cardio after heavy workout can lead to Arthritis. Your leg muscles will be tired after workout and if you run after that, the muscles at the joints won't take the full shock, thereby letting the tissue between the bone joints to wear out. In a few years the bones will brush against each other and you will have full blown Arthritis.

Ask the doctors on this forum, Arthritis is usually caused by overusing joints that have weaker (or tired) muscles that fail to absorb the impact shock.
Old 24th April 2007, 12:22   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I do cardio before weights (for about 15 minutes) Helps in warming up the body and hence less injuries. As you continue, you will recover from the cardio fatigue. Yes, trainer do suggest a little cardio before weights and more after you are done with weights to free up your locked muscles.
yep...i do about 5 mins of cardio before weights...i do it after sometimes as well. The trainers at my gym bug people constantly and half the time just stand around and flirt with all the girls. I am one of the very few people at the gym that doesnt need a trainer...other than for spotting. Hey SohailPistawala awsome routine...i may have to incorporate that into mine. Usually i mix stuff up everyday...i do a combo of stuff just to keep my body guessing. I will throw in chest exercises at random times, or back exercises...or triceps, etc. But now with more intense classes and portions, its going to be hard to maintain a gym routine but i have to...cant lose all the gains.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 24th April 2007 at 12:28.
Old 24th April 2007, 13:49   #162
BHPian

Hey Cali, thank you friend, the reason i incorporated this routine , 1stly work timings, 2ndly summer , 3rdly was doing a single body part for more than 4 weeks, so thought to give a change...

There could be more to this also... like splits which i have mentioned as
Monday:chest/shoulder
tuesday:cardio
wednesday:back
thursday:cardio
friday:biceps/triceps
saturday:legs
This workout is usually called a certified one (i could be wrong, but thats the information i got about it)

If again less time in hand in a week for your workouts you could do this also which is more often called a professional one:
Monday chest/shoulder/triceps
tuesday: rest or cardio (depends whether you wana put on weight or just get ripped)
wednesday back/biceps
thursday:rest or cardio (same tuesday)
Friday: legs
Saturday:
Sunday: Outdoor games like Football, basket ball, or any other sports

Make sure you do more compound movements during split workouts, make the right choice of exercise depending on the body type.

Note: any body part if you wish to do twice a week, make sure u have a gap of atleast 48-72 hours between the workout of the required body part. Example: if you want to train your pectorial muscles (chest) more put a gap of atleast 3 days between the two chest trainings.
This is what i do for my training schedules.
Hope this mite help you CALI.
Old 24th April 2007, 17:52   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I used to do cardio before weights.
I see your point. Here are two ways it may still work with less risk of injuries.

1. Do the non impact cardio, i.e. cycling etc rather than treadmill.
2. do it on the days your legs are rested enough.

because frankly speaking, i don't see how you can do it on the day you have just worked your legs out to failure.
Old 24th April 2007, 18:34   #164
Senior - BHPian

now that we have gotten to exercises, i can't resist anymore.
here is my take:

1. select around 10 or more exercises for each part, use 3-4 at a time. 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps (decide whether you want decreasing pyramid or otherwise). internet has a lot of them.
2. change the exercises after 3-6 months, else body starts getting used to it. shock your muscles with new workouts!
3. Combine related muscles together, but always do the bigger muscle first, smaller later. because smaller muscles assist the big ones. if worked out first, you will not be able to work out the bigger ones.
e.g. chest/shoulder first, triceps next, fore arms last. lats first, biceps next, fore arms last. quads first, calfs next. here's my fav
a. chest+triceps
b. lats+biceps
c. legs+abs.
d. shoulder+tri/bi ceps (work on your weaker part),
e. cardio (I incidentally don't need a lot of it).

4. TIP: watch your posture. after getting a bulge we tend to keep them flexed all the time. it really is a big cause of pain. when you are sitting at work, see if your peck are still clenched, shoulder pulled back etc. learn to relax. especially if you carry a bag, you will notice how much of unnecessary stress the muscles may be taking. relax and you will ease a lot of shoulder/back pain.

5. TIP: ensure you strain your muscles, but not the joints. maintaining correct posture is a good start.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:53   #165
BHPian

hey guys.. i just noticed.. no one has mentioned anything on stretching.. isnt it imp for you...... and yes whats the target of exercising.. i mean what is that which one is looking for.... a good looking physique... endurance.... or just to exercise to be active.. ones schedule should depend on what one needs or wants to achieve overall and it should target that...

Most Viewed