Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 22:25   #751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if anyone is trying to lose fat and get a lean body and wants to use any fat burner for that let me know. I know the one which is highly effective and will suggest you the name.
What r the contents of this supplement and what method does it use to burn fat?

If it's not steroidal in any way, i dont mind giving it a try during my cutting down phase.

Shan2nu
Old 30th October 2008, 23:12   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
What r the contents of this supplement and what method does it use to burn fat?

If it's not steroidal in any way, i dont mind giving it a try during my cutting down phase.

Shan2nu
Its name is hydroxycut. You can google it and find all the info.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:35   #753
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
1. What is the best time to walk? Morning or Evening? I walk mornings since I work from 6pm to 2am.

2. Is it ok to have breakfast before walking? I find my energy levels are far lesser on an empty stomach than after a light breakfast.

3. Does running have a clear advantage over brisk walking? Articles, I read give conflicting opinions.
1] Mornings for me, the air is much cleaner, and the weather is cooler. When I used to run, it was from 5 am - 7.30 am. That's before most of the city woke up, so no traffic either.

2] Have low-GI carbs in the morning before workout. Stuff like oats, whole-grain bread, pasta, etc. You want a slow and steady supply of energy during your walks/runs. You can indulge in a bit of high-gi food after your workout, but since you're sticking to cardio, low gi foods will suffice. Google glycemic index to get examples of foods.

3] It has its advantages, but you need to make sure to run with proper form and on a proper surface. It's very easy to push yourself more than you need to and injure yourself. Like I said before, if you're just starting, walking will also have a positive effect. But once you've been doing it for some time, you need to keep pushing yourself, and that's where running comes in.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:50   #754
Team-BHP Support

Do you like Maggi Noodles?
Well so do I. But yesterday I just glanced at its calorie value on the pack.
Its about 400+ calories for the 95 gm block.

Online linky for the same.
Calories in Maggi Noodles - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

This food for thought has no calories.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:48   #755
Senior - BHPian

Hi
This is indeed a great thread, with loads of information.

I have a few queries here.

I am 5'5 and weigh around 68 kgs. I've been doing Cardio for the past 2 months or so. Initially the stamina levels were very poor, but over the time I've slicha developed it. I currently can run at speeds of 8 for around 25 kms. But lately I've been doing sprint running. Speeds of 10/11 for 7-8 mins. But the trainer says not to do it since it wont really help in inch loss. Is this true ?

Also I tend to spend around 90 mins or so in gym. 30 mins of treadmill, 30 mins of stepper/EFX and some cycling coupled with some ab crunches. I've cut down on my diet drastically and am more into fruits etc along with milk/cornflakes. Have completely stopped rice. Is 90 mins too much for a workout ? Since I dont plan for bodybuilding and all. Just wanna look fit and trim.

Thanks
Old 7th November 2008, 12:53   #756
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
Is 90 mins too much for a workout ?
For cardio, not really. Just eat something around an hour or two before your workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader
But the trainer says not to do it since it wont really help in inch loss. Is this true ?
Anything that strains your body will help you, provided you do it properly. Do the sprints at the end, to completely finish off your workout.

It won't hurt to do weights by the way. Nothing feels better than loose/pumped muscles. Plus, the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn even when you're resting. Think of it as a long term investment or whatever.
Old 7th November 2008, 12:55   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi
This is indeed a great thread, with loads of information.

I have a few queries here.

I am 5'5 and weigh around 68 kgs. I've been doing Cardio for the past 2 months or so. Initially the stamina levels were very poor, but over the time I've slicha developed it. I currently can run at speeds of 8 for around 25 kms. But lately I've been doing sprint running. Speeds of 10/11 for 7-8 mins. But the trainer says not to do it since it wont really help in inch loss. Is this true ?

Also I tend to spend around 90 mins or so in gym. 30 mins of treadmill, 30 mins of stepper/EFX and some cycling coupled with some ab crunches. I've cut down on my diet drastically and am more into fruits etc along with milk/cornflakes. Have completely stopped rice. Is 90 mins too much for a workout ? Since I dont plan for bodybuilding and all. Just wanna look fit and trim.

Thanks
Hey Fountainheader - you seem to be doing very well on the cardio aspect. Now I understand you don't want to be a bodybuilder, but it is important you add a little bit (20-30mins) of weight training to your 90 min workout. This will ensure a balanced workout and building a little muscle will help in the following ways
1) enhance your cardio workouts and prevent injury to joints as muscles will be strong enough to not overload your joints
2) just doing abs crunches will not benefit in any spot reduction and increases risk of lower back injury, but if you added lower back exercises it will balance out your ab workout and prevent back injury by making your lower back stronger. Again this emphasis point 1 on having a balanced workout
3) if you have more muscle mass, your rest metabolic rate will go up as muscles will consume calories even when you are not exercising and thereby add to the cals you burn with cardio.
4) ensure you look fit and trim - yes having a lean muscular look will make you look way better than just cardio as your body will be balanced and in proportions.
Just by lifting a few weights you will not look like a bodybuilder (believe me its much more difficult), but yes you will be more healthier and look much better
Old 7th November 2008, 16:20   #758
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. I agree in order to come up with a beefy body, it will take months and months of hardwork. I am not really against weights. I'll start doing it, once the BMI and Fat %age levels are in the normal state. (They show currently as obese).

I know I may be wrong here, but I don't my body to depend on weights over the long run. Given the lifestyle and all, I'll be glad to manage 30 mins of jogging to keep myself fit everyday. But lets say I do weights and develop muscle mass etc, what would happen if I completely stop going to the gym ? From what I hear I'll start putting on weight again :(
Old 7th November 2008, 16:26   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I currently can run at speeds of 8 for around 25 kms.
Is this a typo. Is it 25 mins or 25 kms. If its 25 kms your fat will very soon disappear into thin air.
Old 7th November 2008, 16:40   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Is this a typo. Is it 25 mins or 25 kms. If its 25 kms your fat will very soon disappear into thin air.
Hehe. Sorry for the typo - Its 25 mins
Old 7th November 2008, 16:43   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. I agree in order to come up with a beefy body, it will take months and months of hardwork. I am not really against weights. I'll start doing it, once the BMI and Fat %age levels are in the normal state. (They show currently as obese).

I know I may be wrong here, but I don't my body to depend on weights over the long run. Given the lifestyle and all, I'll be glad to manage 30 mins of jogging to keep myself fit everyday. But lets say I do weights and develop muscle mass etc, what would happen if I completely stop going to the gym ? From what I hear I'll start putting on weight again :(
Fat %age is important measurement - BMI is some stupid stuff created by insurance companies in 1920s via gathered statistics on healthy people. Clearly speaking if your fat%age is in control and muscle/bone mass and water weight are right you are good. There is no relation between weight and height - you could be 100 kilos due to good bone mass (double boned genetically for example) and have ample amount of muscle and your bmi will show up as obese!! Or you maybe perfectly fit (regular yoga, cardio, weights, etc) and your bmi will show underweight.

I don't see how avoiding weights now is useful or starting later is helpful - its only going to do good whenever you start it. The sooner the better

Your body puts on weight anytime you stop exercising - be it cardio or weights. Exercise is a life long thing. However if you stop lifting weights, your body can sustain longer for periods of non-workout as your metabolic rate is higher and muscles will continue to consume calories, even if you ain't exercising. Lets say you are travelling and don't workout for a weak, the presence of healthy muscle mass will still mean you burn calories while not exercising.
The reason why people gain weight when they quit any form of exercise, is because they continue eating like horses and can get by when working out but not when they quit. Simply put Calories in is not equal calories out - every 1500 extra cals you eat more than what your body needs you gain a pound of weight. If you eat 500 cals everyday more than what your body uses (exercise + rest metabolic combined), you gain a pound in 3 days

take care and enjoy your workouts - hope you keep it balanced and avoid injury risks. Also get in a little bit of yoga on weekends to increase your flexibility and breathing and inner peace and you will be doing great.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:21   #762
Senior - BHPian

@fountainheader, just doing abs is a bad idea, and that will not help in reducing your inches in ANY way. you burn calories through cardio, and you build muscle with strainous workouts. if you just do abs, you will get a hunched look very soon.

keep up the cardio, give up the ab crunches, and incorporate a balanced workout with weights (including abs).

and last but not the least, if you build stamina, feel good about yourself, and feel energetic, good for you. if the inches still don't go away, don't worry about it. don't starve yourself. inches don't directly translate to health.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:46   #763
Senior - BHPian

1.Which brand of whey protein do you guys use or suggest to be used and where are they available in india?

I've been working out for the past 3-4 months.taking whey protein before and after the workout as suggested by a great trainer/bodybuilder here.But i'm not in contact with him since the past one month since he's out of town.
2. Now my question what is the use of creatine.Should i start the use of creatine.
3. what is the use of glutamine.how is it sourced.some brands of whey protein have glutamine.but what other ways are there to source it.
4. Amino acids(nitrogen compounds) are supposed to give that extra pump in the workout.how and when is it suggested to start it.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:11   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
1.Which brand of whey protein do you guys use or suggest to be used and where are they available in india?
Optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard protein is a popular and good brand of whey. You can select from a few flavors also. Chocolate is a good bet. I have seen these in Reliance wellness shops. But I buy from Neulife Neulife Nutrition Systems who are the authorized distributors for ON. (optimum nutrition)

Right now this site is showing some malware warning, so visit only if you have a reliable anti virus on your pc.

Buy in 10 lbs pack to save money.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:20   #765
Senior - BHPian

@Navpreet - Creatine is mostly used to increase your stamina. there is a fixed quantity which you are supposed to take 5-10 minutes before the gym. Its good if you are into weight training but is required to take under guidance of someone knowledgeable.
As for Whey protein it completely depends on what are your body requirements. I normally get mine from my cousin who is a dealer for this in NCR.

Most Viewed