Belgium 2 1.10%
Algeria 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 04:08   #376
Senior - BHPian

It's all who plays better on that day. Germany can lose too.
Old 10th July 2014, 04:21   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed tonight. Romero is a clueless keeper.
I've to eat my words. Romero has proved otherwise for penalty kicks. Now all that ARG might be looking at the finals is for a goalless 120 min. If so, my pick would be Neuer ahead of Romero. But what a boring match. Messi didn't want to try score and the Netherlands didn't give him an inch. I was hoping that Messi would be replaced first up.

Will Di Maria be fit for the final?
Old 10th July 2014, 04:22   #378
BHPian

Now it is revenge time for Argentina against Germany. Hope they do not play like Brazil against the Germans. I want Argentina to win at-least for this great footballer called Messi!
Old 10th July 2014, 04:23   #379
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

No All-European final after all!

Argentina was definitely the better team and Romero was amazing in the penalty shoot out.
An Argentina-Germany Finale, should be an amazing contest
Old 10th July 2014, 06:05   #380
Team-BHP Support

Arg vs Netherlands was a boring game without a doubt. Atleast Brazil kept us entertained a bit.

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed tonight. Romero is a clueless keeper.
Looks like he had a good day at the office. He made 2 saves during the penalties to help Argentina go through to the finals.
Old 10th July 2014, 07:28   #381
BHPian

Ah! The result and the match i was looking forward too... The heart wants Argentina to win but the Head says German is going to be tough to beat! May the best team win and lets hope for some attacking and skillful football!
Old 10th July 2014, 08:52   #382
Senior - BHPian

Great result! Wonder why Vlaar took the first penalty and lost the initiative. Anyways, I am not complaining.

2 of my favorite teams in the finals. I am actually torn between them. Don't mind a win for either of the two. But I feel this is the moment for Argentina. They may not have a stronger team than the class of 2014 come Russia. On the other hand, Germany looks good for the next decade or so.

May the best team win!

Last edited by deetjohn : 10th July 2014 at 08:53. Reason: Adding text.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:55   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
2 of my favorite teams in the finals. I am actually torn between them. Don't mind a win for either of the two. But I feel this is the moment for Argentina. They may not have a stronger team than the class of 2014 come Russia. On the other hand, Germany looks good for the next decade or so.
The first ever world cup final I watched was is 1990..! Then saw Matheus take away the cup from Maradona. Lets see whats in store this time!
Old 10th July 2014, 09:30   #384
BHPian

I watched the semi between Brazil & Germany (again) and I still am in shock. Maybe a this will take some time to get absorbed. I still cannot believe how Brazil simply lost the plot. Their defense was in absolute tatters. Cesar must be gutted. I don't think he was to blame though. Luiz - my word, what a bad game for him.

Brazil themselves had 3-4 one on one chances that they did not grab.

2 of my favorite teams out :(

Last edited by pratyush6 : 10th July 2014 at 09:32.
Old 10th July 2014, 11:35   #385
BHPian

Wow, what a match. As I always said Van Gaal and the Dutch were yet to play well against a tactically strong team led by a tactically strong coach. Argentines again controlled the tempo, choked down the supply from midfield to Robben and RVP, and whenever it came to these guys, threw everything at them to take them out of game. Argentina came closer to scoring especially three very close chances with Higuain's header, Enzo's drive and Palacio's header. Messi on the other hand, had a relatively less influential game, although whenever he had the ball he did draw their players and opened up gaps. But at the moment that can be a boon for Argentina, as hes now due for a influential moment or two. I watched the German match finally. All the first half goals were down to defensive errors and the Germans did nothing extraordinary. Once they had the margin of lead, they were always gonna score more as Brazil had to chase goals.
If Argentina plays the way they did against Holland combined with better finishing, Germans will find it a very different game on Sunday.
Old 10th July 2014, 11:52   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
If Argentina plays the way they did against Holland combined with better finishing, Germans will find it a very different game on Sunday.
So true - The Brazilians were able to scatter the German defence at will. If it was not for Neuer, Brazil might have put in 3 or 4 from their side to make the match a total farce!!

But then the finishing of Germans are better compared to the Argentinians when you look at the semifinals. But the performance of all teams have been too erratic to take a single match as a barometer for the next match.

Final might be a tight game with the both Germany and Argentina being good in the midfield. I would be happy if either team wins, though have a soft corner for Messi

Germans have adopted the Spanish tiki-taka football and married that to the Dutch total football to create a beautiful high pressure flowing football that is so good to watch. And this is going to be the major difference from the boring 1990 final between these two teams!!
Old 10th July 2014, 12:19   #387
BHPian

On a parallel note not sure if you guys saw this .

Microsoft Cortana Predictions

Microsoft Cortana has had a 100% success rate in its predictions of the key matches so far, good boost for Bing.
The above article was published before the match I assume.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:54   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Microsoft Cortana has had a 100% success rate in its predictions of the key matches so far, good boost for Bing.
The above article was published before the match I assume.
Anybody used it? Is it real or just an advertisement gimmick after knowing the results?

Anyway it says..

Germany will win the 2014 World Cup over Argentina and Brazil will take 3rd place
Old 10th July 2014, 14:18   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've to eat my words. Romero has proved otherwise for penalty kicks.

Will Di Maria be fit for the final?
Hehe, I was about to remind you of it after that match

Hoping Di Maria will be fit for the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelchak View Post
Wow, what a match. As I always said Van Gaal and the Dutch were yet to play well against a tactically strong team led by a tactically strong coach. Argentines again controlled the tempo, choked down the supply from midfield to Robben and RVP, and whenever it came to these guys, threw everything at them to take them out of game.
Even my friends were complaining that it was a really boring match. But I found it brilliant! From both sides. Obviously there is a lot at stake and both teams took care to see that they did not show any chinks in their armours! Sabella tactically outdid van Gaal there! Though Messi was held off superbly, I was surprised actually by how beautifully Robben and van Persie were held off.

For me, outstanding players - Perez, Higuain, Mascherano and Demichelis. Kuyt was tireless and even switched places. Sad that van Gaal seemed disgusted with him. Clasie seems like he would change the game when he was substituted. Gifted player!
Old 10th July 2014, 15:27   #390
BHPian

I definitely want Argentina to win this World Cup, Messi deserves it. But I guess Germany is still a stronger team to fight with. Was super disappointed with Brazil getting knocked out, but anyways, let the best team win. Hope its Argentina. Vamos Argentina!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks