Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 22:02   #10696
BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Thanks siddivi..
And Manish sir.. Lock your doors, windows, ventilators. because these scooters are to die for. maisto at least has its niche in two wheelers!!
post some good photos.
Old 29th August 2011, 22:16   #10697
BHPian

Got a new Corvette... the ZR1 from Franklin Mint, a 500 piece limited edition.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-304233_10150362613618083_514763082_10126546_4334706_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-297991_10150362511548083_514763082_10125064_1541860_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-297366_10150362511578083_514763082_10125065_6561940_n.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-293526_10150362486323083_514763082_10124846_3605290_n.jpg  

RPMPKDMFF is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 22:37   #10698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPKDMFF View Post
Got a new Corvette... the ZR1 from Franklin Mint, a 500 piece limited edition.
nothing better than Franklin Mint in 1:24...congrats
diecast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 23:37   #10699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast View Post
nothing better than Franklin Mint in 1:24...congrats
To be honest, personally I prefer Danbury Mint. But I did not find a ZR1 from DM and the limited status makes it desirable too.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:07   #10700
BHPian

Hey Manish,

Good haul of the Vespas.

On another note, how is your assembly of the Mini progressing? Any updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
This one is my Favorite. I have the same in 1:18 made by Sunstar.

On the other note. I recently saw the 1:18 Vespa models by Maisto, which I was badly looking for. Bought 10 nos. at one go, cleared all their stock.

This makes my total count to 14 nos. I have marked the remaining 20 nos, which I will look for in other stores in coming weekends.

Attachment 601475
Old 1st September 2011, 17:16   #10701
BHPian

I had been longing to add the Mercedes G Wagon to my collection since quite some time. The G Wagon in 1:1 scale is simply a massive vehicle with road presence of a tank. I have read about the G Wagon's offroading abilities and its use by various conutries' defence forces (especially European) is well known.

Automania's Rakhesh Mehta's latest Auto Art consignment included the G Wagon and it was but natural for me to go for the model.

This Auto Art model in 1:18 scale is amply detailed, right down to its tyres' sidewalls with treads. all five doors open along with the bonnet which also has a pneumatic hinge!

Now only if Force Motors adds atleast some of the G Wagon's features in their upcoming new Trax...
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-1.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-2.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-3.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-4.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-5.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 19:27   #10702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
This Auto Art model in 1:18 scale is amply detailed, right down to its tyres' sidewalls with treads. all five doors open along with the bonnet which also has a pneumatic hinge!
That's a really beautiful model Amar. The G55 AMG is one of the models that I have been eying for a long time now.
Old 4th September 2011, 20:28   #10703
BHPian

Thank you Arvi.

I was finally able to procure two Sun Star 1:18 scale models. Sun Star has an immensly desirable range of classic and modern rally cars in its lineup. As I prefer rally / race cars to stock ones, it was but natural for me to add a couple of Sun Star rally cars to my collection.

This was also the first time I bought Sun Star and though well detailed, they lack the finish of either Kyosho or Auto Art but are miles better than Maisto or Burago (Chinese).

Add to that, I could have two Sun Stars for the price of a single Auto Art model!!!

Here, I am adding some images of the Fiat 124, winner of the 1971 Rallye dell' Isola d'Elba. This is also a limited edition piece of 1500 units.
Attached Thumbnails

The Scale Model Thread-6.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-7.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-8.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-9.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-10.jpg  

AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 10:58   #10704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was finally able to procure two Sun Star 1:18 scale models.
Nice one there Amar. Sunstar has some very good models with awesome detailing. By the way what is the other model that you bought - Lancia Stratos. If yes then you will not regret.

As for the updates on my build as I told you in PM that I was busy, so could not accomplish much. Here is one picture of work in progress. I am trying to straignten the bent pillars, not much of luck there. Probably this weekend I will have some time to work on her.

From the picture one can see, I attached the front windscreen, to bring back the front in shape. Secondly the worst affected part is cut out for a separate repair. Thirdly A steel rule is affixed to straighten the top edge on the left side. The model was dipped in warm water, wrapped with a warm towel after affixing the steel rule.

The Scale Model Thread-dsc09380.jpg

PS: On other note got two more models of the 1:18 Vespa range from Maisto. Model art have now started stocking Airfix models (but sadly only planes) and Caterpillar scale models (again only 1:87 scale)

Last edited by manishalive : 5th September 2011 at 11:10.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:31   #10705
BHPian

Thank you Manish. The other Sun Star model is that of a 1982 Audi Quattro.

Regarding your build, I see that the "A" pillars have straightened out well because you fixed the windshield. Regarding the "B" pillar section that you had to cut, you could try this -
1) Wrap the piece in a warm towel, keep it on a perfectly flat surface and roll it with a rolling pin (used in the kitchen to make chappati)
2) Wrap the piect ina normal towel (preferably thick), keep it on a perfectly flat surface and iron it out using a warm iron.

The method you are using to straighten the roof line is a safe one and should work. All the best.
Old 5th September 2011, 23:04   #10706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Manish. The other Sun Star model is that of a 1982 Audi Quattro.

Regarding your build, I see that the "A" pillars have straightened out well because you fixed the windshield. Regarding the "B" pillar section that you had to cut, you could try this -
Oh nice one there, there is Lancia Delta HF Integrale also comming up at dreamcarmodels.com, good partner to the other rally cars. By the way do you have the Lancia Stratos with you ?

On the other note I have pre booked Auto Art Alfa Romeo Montreal (Orange).

Here are some pictures of opening door conversion I did on a rotting in field build / diorama. Hope it gives some ideas to others.

Door cut away at the door lines with a sharp knife. Since this a rusting build, neatness is not required. Note various holes in the body for giving the rotting effect.

I have used a normal paper clip and an ear bud plastic stem.

Could have concleade the hinges on the door behind the door pad. Idea of opening the door came after affixing the door pad

The paper clip is is bent at an angle of 30 deg for the portion inside the vertical ear bud plastic pipe. This gives the necessary resistance to opening and closing as in real car.

manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 12:29   #10707
BHPian

The Alfa Romeo Montreal in orange is a fantastic car. Good.

Great diorama Manish. One idea to depict body rust is using saw dust. apply fevicol to the body parts (preferably near the damaged area). take saw-dust on a piece of card board and blow it from a small distance (1/2 foot) on the car's panels. As saw dust colour matches the colour of rust, you need not even paint it.

If you want to depict moss growing over the car, paint the car's body in a light shade of brown. Take some Fevicryl / Camlin green poster colour in a vessel and dilute it with water. Pour this paint over the saw dust. Fot this you need to spread out the saw dust evenly.

Try this, it gives good results. I remember doing a similar excercise more than 15 years back when I worked on a landscaping scale model that one of my friends was doing for Konkan Railway.

Quote:
Oh nice one there, there is Lancia Delta HF Integrale also comming up at dreamcarmodels.com, good partner to the other rally cars. By the way do you have the Lancia Stratos with you ?

On the other note I have pre booked Auto Art Alfa Romeo Montreal (Orange).

Here are some pictures of opening door conversion I did on a rotting in field build / diorama. Hope it gives some ideas to others.

Door cut away at the door lines with a sharp knife. Since this a rusting build, neatness is not required. Note various holes in the body for giving the rotting effect.

Attachment 604818

I have used a normal paper clip and an ear bud plastic stem.

Attachment 604819

Could have concleade the hinges on the door behind the door pad. Idea of opening the door came after affixing the door pad

Attachment 604820

The paper clip is is bent at an angle of 30 deg for the portion inside the vertical ear bud plastic pipe. This gives the necessary resistance to opening and closing as in real car.

Attachment 604821
Old 6th September 2011, 14:04   #10708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try this, it gives good results. I remember doing a similar excercise more than 15 years back when I worked on a landscaping scale model that one of my friends was doing for Konkan Railway.
Oh good one there. You have some great ideas up your sleve. I have purchased steel wool as in picture below, rot it and make rust powder. I thought it to be more authentic. Never thought your way.

By the way do you have any pictures of that konkan railway model. Would love to see it.

PS: I recently spend some 4 hrs travelling in a steam engine and another 1/2 hr discussing with driver and looking at the engine .
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-steelwool.jpg  

Last edited by manishalive : 6th September 2011 at 14:05.
Old 6th September 2011, 23:21   #10709
BHPian

Hey Manish, your idea is also a good one.

Fifteen years ago, I did take photographs of the project using a film camera. Once I locate them, I will definately scan a few and upload them. I have also been planning to scan some of my 1:18 scale bus models that I built myself, grounds-up using plastic, thermocol, card board, etc. but have been a bit lazy in doing so.

Here are a few images of my Audi Quattro, again by Sun Star:

Quote:
Oh good one there. You have some great ideas up your sleve. I have purchased steel wool as in picture below, rot it and make rust powder. I thought it to be more authentic. Never thought your way.

By the way do you have any pictures of that konkan railway model. Would love to see it.

PS: I recently spend some 4 hrs travelling in a steam engine and another 1/2 hr discussing with driver and looking at the engine .
Attached Thumbnails

The Scale Model Thread-6.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-7.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-8.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-aaa.jpg  

Old 7th September 2011, 11:51   #10710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Manish, your idea is also a good one.

Fifteen years ago, I did take photographs of the project using a film camera. Once I locate them, I will definately scan a few and upload them. I have also been planning to scan some of my 1:18 scale bus models that I built myself, grounds-up using plastic, thermocol, card board, etc. but have been a bit lazy in doing so.

Here are a few images of my Audi Quattro, again by Sun Star:
Nice one there. I too love rally cars, and plan to have one section of rally cars, as of now have one car, with 2 more classic undershipment (pictures already posted).

Lancia Delta HF, Stratos, Quattro, Toyota (90's) are few that come to my mind.

PS: Just be carefull of decals, they come out / crack if not properly handled. I would suggest a coat of clear to seal them. What say.

Most Viewed