Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:24   #151
Team-BHP Support

I agree with aargee, let's not make this about saving poor children, because you are not saving them by not buying crackers.

I have seen how it works in reality. Once a local NGO came around visiting all the restaurants in our town, with police in tow. They asked all the restaurant owners to stop employing kids. As a result all the restaurants had to fire their kid employees instantly.

While the restaurants were frantically searching for replacements, guess what happened to the kids? They and their families starved since they were mostly the bread earners of the family. The NGO had no plans beyond the rescue of the kids. A week later most of the kids came begging to their former employers to take them back, often at lesser salary since the employers were reluctant to hire them. That is all the NGO achieved by their misplaced activism.

You really want to help? First find a practical and sustainable alternative to child labour before you get them fired.

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd November 2010 at 09:33.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:47   #152
NFS
BHPian

IMO - purely in my opinion - may be

I Completely respect all the comments here -
  • Support the children by buying the crackers they made
  • Stop buying the crackers so that the children will not be exposed to such harshness
Also we all believe in "When demand reduces, people will look at other income opportunities" or "When better opportunities are available, people try to get into those"

Some examples to support this:
1. Reduced buying of Animal products was proposed for reducing animal poaching (not we, but the entire world followed this)
2. When industry grew in our country, most of the people educated their kids to go for engineering (we today see more engineers than farmers, IMO)
3. When Information Technology grew big in our country most of the engineers turned towards IT related jobs, resulting in Lack of Engineers in Civil/Mechanical/Electrical fields

It might be just me, but I surely believe that today in our country there are enough opportunities and our people are utilizing it wisely. I am proud to be part of it.

Again, the whole idea of why Iam (just me) against using crackers is because of the nuisance it creates (pollution, loudness etc)
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Guys the festival season has knocked the doors and it’s time for celebrations.

And the celebrations are just not for Diwali but also for the marriage season starting from 6th November.

The poll has been restarted and I have voted "Yes".

I was following this thread for last couple of years but was not able to vote/post as I was a non-member that time.

Burning crackers causes pollution? Yes it causes for sure.

But why we do only crib on crackers? Whenever there is pollution related discussion/debate people simply criticize crackers on Diwali/marriage occasion.

Well I do fire crackers every year and enjoy a lot. I can do lot other things to prevent pollution/noise etc. Celebrating Diwali with firecrackers is a no sin or offense Just make sure we don't excess the limits. A Diwali without firecrackers is incomplete and never enjoyable at-least for me. To each his own.

And a very happy festive season.
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:48   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Burning crackers causes pollution? Yes it causes for sure.

But why we do only crib on crackers? Whenever there is pollution related discussion/debate people simply criticize crackers on Diwali/marriage occasion.

Well I do fire crackers every year and enjoy a lot. I can do lot other things to prevent pollution/noise etc. Celebrating Diwali with firecrackers is a no sin or offense Just make sure we don't excess the limits. A Diwali without firecrackers is incomplete and never enjoyable at-least for me. To each his own.
+1 to all of the above. I completely agree with you. As long as we stick to the recommended time limits set by the local police for bursting (6am to 10pm here in b'lore) and as long as we don't exceed noise limits in dB, crackers are fun. I tend to burst more of the night time aerial crackers than the noisy bombs so it is truly a festival of light and colors for me, diwali is never complete without those.
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:00   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

And a very happy festive season.
I also agree with the above. Diwali, festival of lights, is never complete without crackers. Of course, one should be careful to be in limits, especially with the crackers like bombs.
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:12   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Again, the whole idea of why Iam (just me) against using crackers is because of the nuisance it creates (pollution, loudness etc)
I avoid burning crackers because of the pollution it creates. I, of all people should know, having to drive through fog-like conditions on Diwali night with very low visibility in the Jubilee Hills area of Hyderabad - try going to the MLA colony and the road next to More near the Jubilee Hills checkpost on Diwali night and you'll know what I mean.
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:21   #157
Team-BHP Support

I burn petrol & diesel & get joy, I don't get any fun while burning crackers, so a no for me. Its as simple.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

I don't usually buy any crackers myself for Diwali (or Vishu for that matter). If I had to, I would stick to the ones that produce more light than sound. I hate it when people burst loud crackers late into night.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

Took a oath not to burst crackers way back in 2004 during my 9th standard. Have stuck to it. Never touched a cracker since.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:38   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I burn petrol & diesel & get joy, I don't get any fun while burning crackers, so a no for me. Its as simple.

Well said... Me being a petrolhead, I'd rather fill petrol in my car and go for a long drive. For me thats what fun is, not bursting crackers!!

About pollution, I'd rather not comment on it because in a way even driving a diesel car is adding to pollution!! Just saying.... Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:47   #161
naj
BANNED

Hi!

Need to buy some for the kid for whom crackers are a must .But then there is a broad concensus between us.No noise polluting crackers.
I must admit divali time is still better.For the last month we Punekars have been haunted by Ganesh festival and now navratri loudspeakers. It's terrible!!

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:22   #162
BHPian

We should have something like a communal Diwali - everybody contributes and there is a firecracker show - a single event - so that those who want to enjoy the fireworks get that joy - at the same time, as each one is not bursting crackers and it is happening at one place, the garbage as well as the pollution is controlled / reduced.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:44   #163
Senior - BHPian

This is the best way, where everyone contributes and the fire works is arranged in a ground!

but what is happening for instance at my apartment complex, the kids burst within the complex which creates so much of echo its a torture but the parents are not bothered on this...Dipavalii is a permit to create nuisance for many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
We should have something like a communal Diwali - everybody contributes and there is a firecracker show - a single event - so that those who want to enjoy the fireworks get that joy - at the same time, as each one is not bursting crackers and it is happening at one place, the garbage as well as the pollution is controlled / reduced.
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:48   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Took a oath not to burst crackers way back in 2004 during my 9th standard. Have stuck to it. Never touched a cracker since.
Did the same around 7th I think, must have been the same year as well haven't touched crackers since. Same goes for my younger brother, who probably stopped in 3rd standard or so.
Funny thing is, our parents never asked us to do so. I don't even think we were mature enough to understand or explain why we stopped, but somehow it just didn't make sense to blow up a thousand odd bucks on firecrackers and add to the ear shattering din.

I can't stop from mentioning that the most beautiful Diwali I have ever seen was in Gangtok. The main market is well paved and spacious enough, and most families get together at the shop itself to celebrate. No high sound dhamakas, just the right kind of noise which doesn't spoil the serenity of the place. I wish someone has seen the same and knows what I'm talking about.
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:39   #165
Senior - BHPian

Petrified by the dull white clouds of smoke while witnessing Diwali celebrations at New Delhi in 2007.

And decided no to crackers for my lifetime.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks