Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 17:23   #286
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

@ k_ajay, I still do not understand how you can say somebody who posts opinions here pollutes the city all year round and is worried only during diwali. May be people who are against crackers are against pollution generally and act it out all the year round. Your analogy may sound right or wrong to other people, but then food habits being a basic need VS having fun with crackers is just not the right way to compare I guess.

You dint cross a line nor have you touched any nerve. Cheers ... !
Old 30th October 2013, 18:17   #287
BHPian

Burning petrol in our cars and opting for pooling or public transport rather than criticizing crackers. Also, if you are a dog lover, I am a fireworks lover. I love cracker shows and bursting them too, apart from the noisy ones. You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine.
Old 30th October 2013, 19:04   #288
BHPian

Oh yes, everybody is entitled to their opinion. Some people like crackers, some people like dogs, some people dont like dogs, some people aren't too crazy about infants, sick people and the elderly either.
Old 30th October 2013, 19:20   #289
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative by the authorities in Belgaum

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/24930252.cms
Old 1st November 2013, 01:04   #290
Senior - BHPian

It's been more than 20 years that we stopped bursting crackers. One of the main reasons has been the usage of child labor in most of these cracker factories. On the other hand , we know the pollution ( air and noise ) that these crackers cause to everyone around - animals , kids , infants , senior citizens , pregnant women ,...
My personal opinion is that bursting crackers is like burning money.

Most diwalis , we usually head out of the city to escape all the pollution, but this time we are staying back at home
Old 1st November 2013, 01:29   #291
BHPian

Diwali is near and it is time for fireworks and lighting. Have a good time. Dress to the occasion, wear goggles and some cotton in the ears. Play safe.

We do a lot more damage to the environment directly and indirectly in our daily lives compared to this once a year excitement. Keep the tradition going
Come out and share the joy with the entire locality.

Lets try reduce the carbon foot print in daily lives, that will go a long way.
Its time to make some noise Happy Diwali!!!
Old 1st November 2013, 01:43   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

It's time for the saying... two wrongs don't make a right. or something like that.

Anyway, I came from an explosion-punctuated concert, this evening, with the intention of keeping my head in a bucket with a pillow over it until it is all over.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:50   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As another poster has said, festival of light became festival of noise. Light a lamp; be happy
Correction. We don't light diyas for Diwali in South India. That is done for another festival, when the homes are decorated with lamps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karthikai_Deepam

Diwali is a festival of lights only in North India, where the mythological reason for celebrating Diwali is the homecoming of Lord Ram and Sita at the completion of their banishment to the forest for 14 years. Diwali is celebrated in the evening there.

In the south, it is about the destruction of a demon (Narakasura) by lord Krishna, and is celebrated in the early morning - around 5.00 AM. The fireworks symbolize the battle between them.

Be that as it may, it has been a tradition to light fireworks during Diwali and kids look forward to it. I am as much an animal lover as anyone else and care as much about the elderly and infants as anyone else. But I would hate my son to fore go the pleasures I enjoyed as a kid. So I will light them along with him on Diwali day; period!

But we always ensure to keep the decibel levels down and stick more with pyrotechnics.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st November 2013 at 11:55.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:26   #294
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
to light fireworks during Diwali and kids look forward to it. I am as much an animal lover as anyone else and care as much about the elderly and infants as anyone else. But I would hate my son to fore go the pleasures I enjoyed as a kid. So I will light them along with him on Diwali day; period! But we always ensure to keep the decibel levels down and stick more with pyrotechnics.

Good post. This is true. However, in our home we celebrate in the evening as well as in the morning. In a small way, with a puja and giving things to people.

I also agree that one must burn some crackers, but these should celebrate beautiful light and colour and pyrotechnics rather than plain white noise bang bang bang!

I am specific about this because all my life every single one of our dogs have been fearful of crackers and I can completely empathise with them.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:27   #295
vij
BHPian

I am going to burn crackers for sure. my babyboy will not appreciate the loud ones - so just the fancy ones.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:39   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am specific about this because all my life every single one of our dogs have been fearful of crackers and I can completely empathise with them.
They always have a problem because their sense of hearing is so much more acute than ours. We have always had dogs for four decades, till our home was converted to an apartment complex in the year 2000. Sometimes pedigree ones and sometimes mongrels. During Diwali we always moved the dog to a room in the first floor and one of us will sit with it in the room, in shifts. They are reassured by company.

I felt the mongrels coped better with it , though.
Old 1st November 2013, 12:49   #297
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They always have a problem because their sense of hearing is so much more acute than ours. We have always had dogs for four decades, till our home was converted to an apartment complex in the year 2000. Sometimes pedigree ones and sometimes mongrels. During Diwali we always moved the dog to a room in the first floor and one of us will sit with it in the room, in shifts. They are reassured by company. I felt the mongrels coped better with it , though.

I do the same. Sit and talk to them, stroke them, reassure them and this is why we never go away from the house during Diwali. My pet dogs are very dear to me and I dont want them to be upset or sad or afraid.
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:29   #298
BHPian

Happy Diwali my fellow Team BHPians.
Oh and yes, I will be bursting quite a few crackers today.
Old 3rd November 2013, 00:34   #299
Senior - BHPian

I will burn crackers but like every year within limits and small quantity.

Happy Diwali everyone
Old 3rd November 2013, 00:54   #300
BHPian

Wish all BHPians a very happy Diwali.
Last many many years I am not bursting fire crackers. Sometimes I do help wife drawing Rangoli though.
But I can't restrain my 9 year old daughter from bursting it, though she understands that it creates pollution. I give her fixed quota of fire crackers though.
IMO There should be ban on loud noise making fire crackers at least.
Regards Sanjay.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 3rd November 2013 at 00:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks