Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 22:04   #241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Its not just the dogs/animals Mr. Balan. Noisy crackers are equally painful for lots of humans, including babies who find them so discomforting. for us. What is the joy in seeing your child cry for no reason?

People just dont understand how their immature and senseless actions can make others miserable.
I understand. Small kids can have their hearing impaired if exposed to continuous noise like this. Just imagine how horrible it must be in a war zone!
Me, I feel for the animals in particular especially dogs and horses whose hearing is extremely sensitive. Its very tough on them during this time.
Old 11th November 2012, 11:50   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Bomb-Land.
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-396356_4964627156947_337574006_n.jpg
Old 11th November 2012, 23:48   #243

Haven't touched them since eighth grade neither will I now. It was fun when I was a kid but after that it just seemed pointless, my father always said burn a 1000 rupees instead it will create less pollution.
Another thing I have been noticing is the craze for crackers has been dwindling over the past few years and amen to that.
Old 18th November 2012, 06:03   #244
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures from this years Deepavali celebrations. In Kerala celebrating Deepavali with crackers is not too common except in Trivandrum area.
See some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-1.jpg  

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-2.jpg  

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-3.jpg  

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-4.jpg  

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-5.jpg  

Old 18th November 2012, 09:22   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I understand. Small kids can have their hearing impaired if exposed to continuous noise like this. Just imagine how horrible it must be in a war zone!
Me, I feel for the animals in particular especially dogs and horses whose hearing is extremely sensitive. Its very tough on them during this time.
I have stopped bursting crackers since 7th standard. I don't like the sound & pollution it creates. Also the problem it creates for kids & elders.

On this Deepavali eve some folks were bursting crackers in-side apartment campus around 11 PM & when I requested that my mom was unable to sleep they were not repentant or apologetic for disturbing others in society.

They are president & secretary of apartment association, it seemed they get rights to do so being in that position. These people call themselves educated and upper echelons of society. I was appalled at their behavior & in-sensitiveness to others.

Just wanted to share the agony.. :( though this might be
Old 18th November 2012, 09:48   #246
Senior - BHPian

Had ballast session of crackers for three days. One day before and after. It was so much fun and everyone enjoyed a lot. Went to Hosur, TN to purchase in bulk.

So many other apartment mates also participated the show. And yes, we are doing many more things which contributes to pollution. Leave this Diwali alone.
Old 18th November 2012, 13:40   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc

I requested that my mom was unable to sleep they were not repentant or apologetic for disturbing others in society.

They are president & secretary of apartment association, it seemed they get rights to do so being in that position. These people call themselves educated
Just wanted to share the agony.. :( though this might be
Typical Indian attitude. We are an uncaring and callous bunch of people.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:15   #248
Team-BHP Support

Reviving a really old thread since it is back in season again . As a kid and teenager, I used to always enjoy the aerial pyrotechnic fireworks and fancy ones which don't make loud explosive sounds. After I got a dog, even that has got cut down. Nowadays, we just avoid all the noise and commotion in the city by going on a family vacation (dog included) to a remotely located resort or homestay.

I do feel sorry for underprivileged kids who beg door-to-door for crackers on Diwali days, or those kids whose parents cannot afford to buy crackers for them. Those kids look on with sad eyes as other people (like us) burst crackers and have fun.

Last year and this year, I made it a point to donate a good amount of (noiseless or low noise) crackers to a neighbourhood orphanage and help the kids burst it, on one of the 3 Diwali evenings. There were lots of people who donated food and clothes, etc, so I thought why not crackers. Why deprive them of the fun we had in childhood? Seeing their thrilled faces light up in joy was a different feeling.

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th October 2013 at 14:16.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:58   #249
BHPian

Its been close to 4 years since we ( my family) celebrated Deepavali in Bangalore, my son is all enthusiastic about the festival and it will be a new experience for him. Going light on sound making crackers and concentrating more on softer ones this time. I heard that the prices are really really high this time around.
Old 29th October 2013, 16:10   #250
BHPian

I have been away from firecrackers for 2 decades (basically the day I got out of high school and also acquired some common sense). but this year being the first ever diwali of our child, I might be tempted to buy a "fulbaazi" if nothing else.
Old 29th October 2013, 17:21   #251
BHPian

No thank you!

1. Safety Hazard.
2. Noise Pollution.
3. Air pollution.
4. Danger to animals, babies, adults, humans in general.

I'd rather stay indoors, all windows and doors boarded up and locked up for good.
Can't stand those deafening, heart stopping aloo-bombs in the middle of the night!
Not to mention the disgusting & sickening feeling I get if I have to drive somewhere.
Kids & adults lighting crackers in the middle of the road. Hooligans, I tell you.
And the smell & the smog that lasts a good couple of days after Deepavali. All the streets littered with the remains and that repulsive smell of burnt crackers. Ugh.

Deepavali was supposed to be a festival of lights. Lighting some light crackers that emit light is understandable, but those idiotic noise polluting, heart stopping crackers make no sense.
I'm forever afraid that some random kid will blow up my car with his cracker.
Is there some getaway option for people who don't want to be a part of the celebrations this time of the year? I've already got a company sanctioned leave on Friday on account of Deepavali.
Old 29th October 2013, 17:30   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no need for anybody, however poor, not to enjoy the Diwalli fireworks. Although I have no intention of buying any, I will certainly spend half an hour or so on the terrace enjoying everybody else's. I will get to see spectacular starbursts, etc, that I probably could not afford to buy anyway. The fact that I won't actually be lighting any just makes it all a bit safer for me!

If even 1/3rd the people follow the same policy (or, if you think it is mean, get together with neighbours and contribute) then there will still be a wonderful show for everybody, with 30% less pollution.

This I will do, as usual: light a lamp and keep it burning all night. Let there be light in the world
Old 29th October 2013, 18:20   #253
BANNED

The House shall be lit up to welcome the forces of Good and banish the forces of Evil.

A few flower pots and other colourful fireworks shall be lit and enjoyed in the neighbourhood and the litter shall be carefully cleared up afterwards.
The pets shall be kept close with us in an air con room so that their fear is mitigated.
Our own home help are given nice new clothes, gifts of money and sweets etc.

The local construction labourerson the sites near my home and other less privileged people in the neighbourhood have already been given some sweets and things.
The local post office,police station, and other general service providers like milkman, paperboy, ironing man and garbage collectors have all been given some boxes of sweets with a message of thanks!

The poor stray animals who are afraid and come for help shall be provided with food as always and shelter if needed.

Try and spread a little happiness, share a little of what the good Lord has seen fit to bless us with and generally be kind to animals, children, other beings etc.
That is the message we should spread.
It is a wicked enough world. Let us get together and do some good.
Old 29th October 2013, 18:26   #254
BHPian

Yes I will but only the ones which give light without any loud noise. No noise pollution.
My twin kids are going to be 3 soon.

I want them to experience light on Diwali not noise.
Old 30th October 2013, 01:45   #255
Senior - BHPian

Stopped burning at the age 13.happy to see so many people of the same opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks