Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 20:56   #676
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Well, Bangalore is not silent this time. I am hearing non-stop crackers since two hours now. Some are loud enough to set off car alarms too.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:34   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Diwali as usual here in Ranchi. Lots of fire crackers since evening. Car alarms going off almost continuously in the society. I’m not bursting crackers this time but may light a few ground chakris and flower pots.

Diwali wishes to all BHPians.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:01   #678
BHPian

In Bhopal it’s non stop crackers , still continuing . The guy opposite to my house who parked his car in closed parking came and burst the crackers near my car parked in common area near to my gate ( just 10 cms away from the bonnet ) . I didn’t expect this as I shifted to here just a month back . So shocked by this uncivilised act .

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th November 2020 at 22:02.
greyhound82 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:01   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a lot of noise here in Southern Chennai suburbs. And there is too much smoke in the air for me to go out and enjoy. Guess it will all be blown away in a night, and we suffer worse, more regularly, from poisonous pollution of the Buckingham Canal.

I'd be happy to turn the clock back 100 years to the simple lighting of lamps. We have gone for LED light chains for the past couple of years. No, it is not quite the same as lighting a lamp.

Rain is due; the monsoon watchers and forecasters have been disappointed for the last two days. But I'm glad that it didn't come to disappoint the children this evening.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:38   #680
Senior - BHPian

I can never imagine this festival without fire crackers.
We just finished enjoying the limited quantity that was purchased. Fully avoided the ones that create noise. Our residential complex used to be buzzing each year and is a total contrast this year. The silence is a bit bizarre for Diwali. I’m hoping it sees some action tomorrow night.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:07   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quite a lot of noise here in Southern Chennai suburbs.
It is mainly to defy the ban announced by the courts, government and the Police, and also the sermonizing by certain unwanted groups being perceived as a slur against religion. Now whom will they catch and whom will they arrest? Everybody is going full blast everywhere.

Seems it is happening all over the country.

Last edited by Gansan : 14th November 2020 at 23:09.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:46   #682
Senior - BHPian

I'm in Delhi, and just like all other bans, the populace is mocking the firecracker ban. I can hear them for miles.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 00:02   #683
Senior - BHPian

It's probably the quietest Diwali ever, at least in our quarter of the city of Bangalore. It really doesn't feel like Diwali.
In our residential complex also maybe 10% cracker activity compared to usual. The dullness of this year just won't go away it seems.
Old 15th November 2020, 00:06   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Fifteen years of no fireworks during Deepavali and the tradition continues, I'm entitled to an opinion as a Hindu and citizen of the land, and that is I hope the cracker industry goes up in smoke, I'd just as much say the same about balloons, confetti, celebratory rash-riding etc.

To take a festival that is about bringing a metaphorical light to lives, and symbolizing it by a literal lamp lit by fire (no, bulbs, serial lights, led strobes and crackers are grotesque misrepresentations) and distort it to this extent was always a bit extreme, but in today's age, they are not meant to be done.

I couldn't care any less about the reason why Deepavali is celebrated (diwali is an Americanized distortion of the real name), but I do like that it stands for the union of a nation in light, that it spreads good cheer and that sugar and sweets are binged upon in this period with even the slimmest of us retaining a festival tummy for a month after, all good.

Again I repeat this as a man with quite a deep insight into vedic literature, Sanatana Dharma and what Hinduism stands for, and Deepavali is NOT relevant to it one bit.

That being said, Seasons Greetings!
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 02:50   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is mainly to defy the ban announced by the courts, government and the Police, and also the sermonizing by certain unwanted groups being perceived as a slur against religion. Now whom will they catch and whom will they arrest? Everybody is going full blast everywhere.

Seems it is happening all over the country.
Mostly it stopped at a reasonable hour. And now rain is coming.

The air quality was pretty bad. Full of smoke. I went to the garden to take some photos but could not breathe it. Worse than previous years. Or maybe my lungs are just more sensitive.
Old 15th November 2020, 07:18   #686
BHPian

There is a cracker ban in place in Jaipur till 31st December 2020 and people here followed it to a great extent. Till last Diwali, one could hear cracker burst since 8 pm till, as late as, 3 AM the next day. However, this time around it is so much better, at least in the part of the city where I live.
Old 15th November 2020, 10:19   #687
BHPian

Quitest Diwali in Bombay here. I used to fire a lot of crackers until 12th standard, I would love doing that. Once I got into Medical ( MBBS , PG and so on ) , lost touch. Presently neutral about crackers. I will stick with whatever the law is.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:02   #688

I have had a cracker free Diwali since the past 7-8 years. Also, this time in my locality of north-west Delhi, I could see fewer people burning crackers. Even my neighbour who used to burn them for three hours seemed content just by lighting a couple of anaars and chakris. And it all shows, the AQI today morning is 400, which although is 4 times more than the "healthy" limit is better than the 1200-1600 that we usually see on the day after Diwali.
Old 15th November 2020, 11:32   #689
BHPian

We had a proper Cracker filled, noise filled, windless and smoke filled Diwali last night. Window panes shook, car alarms went off - but I would have it none other way.

Today morning the smoke has lifted and its bright and clear. Happy Diwali everyone and to my Gujju brethren - Saal Mubarak.
GJ01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 11:42   #690
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely Love the cracker-full Deepawali. Love the smoke, it is hazardous to our health but for one day that too for a few hours, I am happy to forget the environmental issues. For the rest of the year I do respect and try follow environment saving measures.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks