Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 16:03   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

We've got many threads on car seats (like this one) discussing comfort, lumbar support & ergonomics, yet not a single thread on our desk / office chairs. Kind of surprising because we do spend most of our waking hours working on the desk!

The topic has been touched upon in the main furniture thread, but I think it deserves a dedicated discussion.

So, Team-BHPians, which chair & brand do you recommend? I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair. Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions. Please include pics wherever possible.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 16:12   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
lSo, Team-BHPians, which chair & brand do you recommend? I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair. Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions. Please include pics wherever possible.

Thanks!

This ones good, TATA at Banyan Park, Andheri has it and I've used it too. Good support, even the lower back, good amount of recline too, preferred with the way I sit.
Godrej interiors have similar ones but don't feel as sturdy and good as this one.
Old 13th June 2017, 17:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair. Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions. Please include pics wherever possible.
wow, an executive chair with an adjustable headrest? Now that's new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Good support, even the lower back, good amount of recline too, preferred with the way I sit.
It is best to avoid work chairs that recline. With time, the spring that holds the back of the chair starts losing its stiffness slowly, without you realizing it.
Remember that once you set the position, your car seat does not recline. Your hall sofa / dining chair does not recline either.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:21   #4
BHPian

I've tried several office chairs, but nothing came close to the one I use now (Herman Miller Mirra, I think). I have it for the last 5-6 years, and have faced no problems, so can say that it's a good quality product. I adapted quickly to the seating surface, and with all the adjustments at your disposal, the likelihood of finding a likeable seating position with good support is pretty high.

However, it doesn't look like an expensive chair. For some it's a positive attribute, but your mileage may vary. This is how the current version looks like:
http://www.store.hermanmiller.in/pro...-11664814.aspx
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions. Please include pics wherever possible.

Thanks!
I am typing this while sitting on a 10 year old Featherlite chair. This model is apparently designed by the founder of the Featherlite. It gives the maximum bang for the buck. It comes in medium and high back.

http://www.featherlitefurniture.com/...-office-chairs
Old 13th June 2017, 17:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, Team-BHPians, which chair & brand do you recommend? I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair. Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions. Please include pics wherever possible.

Thanks!
GTO, I am using the exact same office chair (the high back one) since a year and half. It is simply the best office chair I've used. I bought one and liked it so much that I bought another one and transported it to my second office in Belgaum. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It is best to avoid work chairs that recline. With time, the spring that holds the back of the chair starts losing its stiffness slowly, without you realizing it.
Remember that once you set the position, your car seat does not recline. Your hall sofa / dining chair does not recline either.
Agree with you. Most of these chairs recline with a spring action by default but they also come with a locking bolt. Decide the optimum angle and lock it in position.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th June 2017 at 17:55.
Old 13th June 2017, 17:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you have the funds, the absolute best chair I've used is the Herman Miller Aeron.

This is standard issue in most of the better software companies in the Bay area and these days in many places within India too.
Old 13th June 2017, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Wow, Just read this thread.

I have been using this chair in my office for the last six years now and i am happy both with the comfort and quality levels. Here is the picture.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-chair.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 18:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair. Saw this model from Featherlite, & open to suggestions.
I am using the exact same chair at home and l am happy. My mom however, doesn't feel comfortable even at the lowest height setting. She is 5'2" and I am 5'11". Try to sample one in a store before purchasing.

This doesn't come even close to the Herman Miller Mirra though. Had used it for a couple of years at work. If you can afford it, don't think about anything else.
Old 13th June 2017, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I've tried several office chairs, but nothing came close to the one I use now (Herman Miller Mirra, I think).
Mirra is what I have been using for 5 years. And its the best chair I've had till now.
Old 13th June 2017, 18:24   #11
BHPian

Look no further GTO!

Old 13th June 2017, 18:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
So, Team-BHPians, which chair & brand do you recommend?

Thanks!
Can you give an indicative budget GTO? I can give you recommendations accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
wow, an executive chair with an adjustable headrest? Now that's new.

Most chairs have a knob that allows you to set the tension. Tension needs to be set as per the users weight. Settings that work for a 60 kgs user will not work for someone who is 80 kgs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th June 2017 at 21:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 13th June 2017, 19:33   #13
BHPian

My workplace uses Herman Miller Mirra2. Pretty good. No headrest though.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 21:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am currently on the lookout for a supportive executive chair
Nothing comes close to Herman, go with Aeron, check out at their Mumbai Dealership & negotiate

http://www.store.hermanmiller.in/pro...-10986210.aspx

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2017 at 11:17. Reason: As per PM.
Old 14th June 2017, 14:27   #15
BHPian

I second Herman Miller chairs. Aeron or Mirra would be your choices. Mirra is cheaper but Aeron is a more flexible (and in my opinion therefore more adjusting and comfortable).

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks