Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 11:28   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Squatting however is a new concept to me - would this not place tremendous strain on your knees, especially once you are past your twenties and the body naturally begins to deteriorate?
I doubt it, I have seen older people (80+) sitting in that position comfortably, this was back in 70s. I don't see that now.

Quote:
Indian classical musicians sit cross legged on the floor, not squatting. I have personally learnt and practiced Indian classical music for many years (when much younger of course) and sitting cross legged is pretty comfortable, even for extended hours.
Yes, cross legged is what my mom meant sitting on butt. She didn't use the word squat, as she was speaking in Tulu.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:56   #152
Senior - BHPian

I have a couple of height-adjustable chairs. Both were selected based on comfortable seating positions, with good back & lumbar support. I would recommend these:

1) Tycoon HF 366 HB : https://www.featherlitefurniture.com...-office-chairs (bought for 10K few years back, now it is 15K)

2) Astro MB : https://www.featherlitefurniture.com...-office-chairs (now its 7K)

In Featherlite, their Helix range is very good. But the price starts around 22K (https://www.featherlitefurniture.com...-office-chairs). There are huge number of model. Some are good looking but not comfortable. I would recommend to sit & try it before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I wonder how much of old wisdom we have been losing...
I don't think there was any ancient wisdom in it. The chair was a privilege and those who could afford it used chairs. Chairs offer comfort and hence can sit for many hours.
Squatting is good for the body. It stretches the muscles and keeps them healthy. Highly recommended. But it cannot be done for long time. Need to be fit to do squats without support.
I think the sedentary lifestyle is the culprit here. Squatting will help but it is not the solution.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th September 2020 at 12:59.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:36   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Indian classical musicians generally sit cross legged on the floor, not in squatting position. I have personally learnt and practiced Indian classical music for many years (when much younger, of course) and sitting cross legged while playing an instrument or singing is pretty comfortable, even for extended hours.
Yes, even I have this experience. You get used to it. The worst thing about it is having the ankle bone on the hard floor, and the answer to that is to be able to do the lotus position, or at least half. This also pulls the back into a better posture. But I was a music student, and not a yoga student, so I could not do that properly.

Twenty sedentary years later, I cannot sit on the floor without back support for more than a few minutes.
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:01   #154
BHPian

Picked up this chair today from Featherlite. Looks like the prices have gone up for most of their models compared to a few months back.

Model - Versa Medium back
Price - 8K
Attached Thumbnails
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-pppolypropyleneversambfeatherliteoriginalimafutzyav4u69zx.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2020, 06:29   #155
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for a 'minimal' chair and picked up the Transteel Aqua in White (Rs. 7000). It looks different and found it comfortable. I started my search with Ikea but they dont have their best chairs in India
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Picked up this chair today from Featherlite. Looks like the prices have gone up for most of their models compared to a few months back.

Model - Versa Medium back
Price - 8K
I bought the same model with headrest from Featherlite store last week, around 12k.

https://bengaluru.featherlitestore.com/product/opus-hb/

The chair is not as sturdy as a similar model I bought a few years back. The headrest in this model is like a gimmick compared to the old model I am using. The lumbar support is weak as well. Overall, a decent option for 12k.

Also, I was surprised to see that Featherlite does not have an active presence in Amazon. So I did not have any option other than visiting the store nearby as I did not want to take any chance with return by ordering from Featherlite online store.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 23rd September 2020 at 10:59.
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:13   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Also, I was surprised to see that Featherlite does not have an active presence in Amazon. So I did not have any option other than visiting the store nearby as I did not want to take any chance with return by ordering from Featherlite online store.
How I wish Featherlite too had a "Factory Outlet" because they have a chair manufacturing unit at Rajankunte which is less than 10 min drive for me. Hence, I picked 2 chairs by visiting their store in Vasanthnagar.

Their Amaze model offers decent experience. Cost me 8,378/- per chair.

We booked the chairs on a saturday evening and the delivery happened next week on wednesday. This timeline seems to be their standard as I could hear them tell this to their other customers too.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-img_20200923_110943.jpg

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-img_20200923_110902.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd September 2020 at 11:15.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:31   #158
Senior - BHPian

@paragsachania - Your home office is so clean and minimal that it looks like you do not work. I just turned around and had a look at my current home office. What I see - big empty cartons, so many online delivery packages, dirty clothes, books, unorganized cables, chargers, tools... It is a big mess!!
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:44   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
@paragsachania - Your home office is so clean and minimal
LOL yeah! Few months before, I had to relocate within the same room as WFH for wife too became near permanent and she grabbed my desk which was this.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-working-desk.jpg

I had to pick a minimalistic working desk for myself and then these chairs. My kid now has daily online classes all the way till 16:00 and that means I cannot occupy her desk too. If we both have calls at the same time, one of us walks out and use parents' room for a while too.

Quote:
that it looks like you do not work.
The nature of my work is mostly telecons throughout the day. So all I need is a PC and a mouse. At times, just my phone too since one can take most meetings from the better managed phone apps for Skype, Teams etc. I mostly do not use any kind of headset and generously make use of my PC speakers and microphone. Gives me a lot of peace than wearing a headset all day over those meetings.

Quote:
unorganized cables, chargers, tools... It is a big mess!!
Talking about cables, I was too particular about it. Hence the TV is placed exactly above the switchboard to hide the power supply cable too :-).
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

@paragsachania, spacious and clean office space.
By the way, we have the same urban ladder table. The quality of wooden furniture manufactured by urban ladder (not third party) is very good. I have bought study table, dining table, shoe rack etc from them - the dining table is as good as new.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:43   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Attachment 2058314

Their Amaze model offers decent experience. Cost me 8,378/- per chair.
hi Parag,
What is your feedback of using this chair?
How comfortable it is for long duration calls.
Does the back recline?

thanks

Last edited by arvindmanju : 8th October 2020 at 19:44.
Old 8th October 2020, 20:12   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
hi Parag,
What is your feedback of using this chair?
How comfortable it is for long duration calls.
Does the back recline?

thanks
Definitely good Arvind. Since I picked 2 of these, my daughter is also happy as her classes now run all day long.

The lumbar support is not trendy but does its job. It has only height and recline angle adjustment apart from which you get to adjust the handrest height. Of course, you can lock the recline position is set if free too. There is no adjustment for the tension for the recline and that means either you lock it to your desired position is let it free.

Overall, very much satisfied with the product.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:09   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely good Arvind. Since I picked 2 of these, my daughter is also happy as her classes now run all day long.

The lumbar support is not trendy but does its job. It has only height and recline angle adjustment apart from which you get to adjust the handrest height. Of course, you can lock the recline position is set if free too. There is no adjustment for the tension for the recline and that means either you lock it to your desired position is let it free.

Overall, very much satisfied with the product.
There must be a big round knob under the chair at the front to adjust the tension of the recline. Turn it clockwise to add more tension and counter clockwise to reduce. The adjustment is there in almost every chair. I would be surprised if yours does not have it. I have a 'Contact Project' chair from featherlite and it has it
Old 9th October 2020, 09:41   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There must be a big round knob under the chair at the front to adjust the tension of the recline. Turn it clockwise to add more tension and counter clockwise to reduce.
Forget this chair, but having shifted couple of jobs & office locations invariably means I have come across chairs with all types of such adjustments, especially the big knob right below these chairs to adjust the tension of the recline spring.

But no!! Have a look and surprise yourself or help me if there is hack that I can't see or if I missed it .

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-featherlite-chair-base.jpg

As you can notice, there is no such knob anywhere in the bottom. There are just levers with flap handles to adjust height and lock the recline position, thats all!

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th October 2020 at 09:42.
Old 9th October 2020, 10:04   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Forget this chair, but having shifted couple of jobs & office locations invariably means I have come across chairs with all types of such adjustments, especially the big knob right below these chairs to adjust the tension of the recline spring.

But no!! Have a look and surprise yourself or help me if there is hack that I can't see or if I missed it .

As you can notice, there is no such knob anywhere in the bottom. There are just levers with flap handles to adjust height and lock the recline position, thats all!
Oh that is surprising!

But your chair has a lever to lock the backrest in a particular recline position. Maybe that is the reason why the knob is not provided. The 'contact project' does not have the intermittent locking for recline. Maybe that is why the knob adjustment is provided

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks