Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:41   #241
BHPian

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Dears,
Please suggest a standing desk.

The one at IKEA cannot be shipped to my location in Chennai. The one at Transteel is exorbitantly priced. I am not sure if we can trust the Chinese ones in Amazon.
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:46   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Once I got to Steelcase and saw their range, I primarily narrowed my consideration set down to Think, Leap and Gesture. I somehow didn’t like the Leap at all and was totally torn between the Gesture (~98k) and Think (~50k). All in all, while the Gesture seemed nice and the armrest movement was a bit more in it, it didn’t feel “twice the price” nice. The Think fit the bill well for all my requirements and I pulled the trigger on that one. What also helped the decision was that the Think is assembled here and therefore I could fully customise my color specs etc. whereas the range of available inventory on the Gesture was VERY limited since its a direct import.

Should get delivery within a fortnight or so lockdown movement permitting. Will post a picture when I receive mine.
One man's poison is another man's food . I went the reverse way - I loved the old school Leap, didn't like the Gesture when I picked up the chairs last year.

My wife felt exactly as you did though and she thought Think was the best of them all. Ended up saving a lot of money for me.

Yes as you mentioned, Leap and Gesture are imports. Think is manufactured/assembled in India.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
A week ago, I bought Featherlite Liberate High Back chair
Wow! Your review couldn't have come at a better time. I have this model in my shortlist but the lumber support was looking very aggressive in pictures as you have mentioned. Thanks for sharing your experience in such great detail
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 17:25   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Wow! Your review couldn't have come at a better time. I have this model in my shortlist but the lumber support was looking very aggressive in pictures as you have mentioned. Thanks for sharing your experience in such great detail
Glad that my review helped you. My suggestion would be to try this chair in person, in the store, before buying it online. Unfortunately due to the lockdown and in general current situation, it was not possible for me to visit a store and check this out. I ended up buying this "blindly", so to say (i. e. by reading online reviews only).

This chair has such a unique design and unique shape/pressure points in the back that one must try this in person before deciding if this is right for you. If that option is possible, I would recommend you do the same.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:50   #245
BHPian

I am looking to purchase a chair for my office too, and was hoping to glean some ideas from here, but it seems that there aren’t any options between the Featherlite Liberate at ₹17,000 on one end and the ₹50,000+ Herman Millers and Steelcases on the other.

I am happy to purchase the Featherlite. I purchased it for my brother a couple years ago and he is happy with it, but he isn’t too concerned about the subject one way or the other.

I am specifically looking for something that helps me maintain a straight posture throughout the day and is very soft and comfortable for long hours.

Ideally, I would like to be able to reduce the gap between the two armrests by sliding them both inwards, which is something I have not seen in any chair. There are many chairs (like Liberate) that allow you to tilt the armrests in at an angle, but what I would like is for them to slide in laterally on both sides, so I can keep my arms tucked in beside my chest and still have them be resting on the armrests. Is this feature available on any chair I can afford?

Last edited by aryayush : 11th June 2021 at 17:56. Reason: Posted it accidentally before.
Old 11th June 2021, 18:22   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Ideally, I would like to be able to reduce the gap between the two armrests by sliding them both inwards, which is something I have not seen in any chair.
This means you did not look at Herman Miller Mirra 2 yet. I am using this chair the past couple of years and iI would recommend to anyone. It has quite a lot of customisable options. It has what you are looking for, I think. See 3:55 to 4:00 in below adjustments video. The whole adjustments video itself is quite useful.

carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:08   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ideally, I would like to be able to reduce the gap between the two armrests by sliding them both inwards, which is something I have not seen in any chair.

Is this feature available on any chair I can afford?
Check out the full Steelcase range. The Steelcase Think (~50k) moves the arms inwards.

The Steelcase Gesture (~98k) moves them in a LOT!

So does the Steelcase Leap V2 which is priced somewhere in between the above two models.

Definitely check these out before taking the plunge. There are lots of YouTube reviews on each of these models which will give you an idea of this functionality in each of the above.

I am pretty sure corresponding Herman Miller models will achieve the same too but generally I have found the HM range pricier than the Steelcase. I think if the Steelcase Think meets your requirement at 50K then that might be the answer. I have just booked one myself from the Mumbai dealer.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th June 2021 at 00:12. Reason: Fixed on request.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:03   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am looking for a ergonomic chair for WFH with a budget of around 15k which I can stretch a bit if it is worth.....
So far I have shortlisted Featherlite Liberate High Back model. If I stretch my budget, Featherlite Helix is another option but not sure it is worth spending extra..
So finally I took the plunge and bought Featherlite Helix HB . It was delivered in almost assembled condition and the delivery person did the remaining assembly on the spot. I just love the grey color and chair really looks very premium. Now I see why it is pricier - 4 way adjustable hand rest with soft touch material, seat sliding mechanism, headrest, adjustable lumbar support, push back tension adjuster... The wheels are also good quality and do not leave stain mark on the floor. Overall I love this chair and I think it is going to be a trusted partner in the WFH which is there to stay for a while. Thank you folks for suggestions

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 13th June 2021 at 19:07.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:06   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
This means you did not look at Herman Miller Mirra 2 yet. I am using this chair the past couple of years and iI would recommend to anyone. It has quite a lot of customisable options. It has what you are looking for, I think. See 3:55 to 4:00 in below adjustments video. The whole adjustments video itself is quite useful.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ds86OxG0rxk
Quote:
Check out the full Steelcase range. The Steelcase Think (~50k) moves the arms inwards.

The Steelcase Gesture (~98k) moves them in a LOT!

So does the Steelcase Leap V2 which is priced somewhere in between the above two models.

Definitely check these out before taking the plunge. There are lots of YouTube reviews on each of these models which will give you an idea of this functionality in each of the above.

I am pretty sure corresponding Herman Miller models will achieve the same too but generally I have found the HM range pricier than the Steelcase. I think if the Steelcase Think meets your requirement at 50K then that might be the answer. I have just booked one myself from the Mumbai dealer.
Thank you! Is there no way to get similar functionality within about ₹30,000, and in a chair that also has a head rest?
Old 16th June 2021, 11:14   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you! Is there no way to get similar functionality within about ₹30,000, and in a chair that also has a head rest?
Apologies but I didn't end up researching outside of Steelcase / HM range so don't know off hand.

But I think there are chairs below 50k as well in Steelcase range (in the 30 - 40k range perhaps). Maybe you can check if they have the functionality you are looking for.
Old 17th June 2021, 15:09   #251
BHPian

Quote:
I think in new Herman Miller lineup, it is hard to get in that price point. Maybe getting a used one is possible, but also needs some looking around. If you browse through this thread, there were some contacts shared for getting used HM office chairs.

If you want new, in the steelcase range the entry level model 'personality' is an option. This one, I could not find outside India. May be sold in a different model name?! pls check. I would recommend 'series 1', as it has all the adjustments you are looking for, but it is a bit pricier. Also it is an international model unlike the previous one. Steelcase is running quite some discounts on all their models and headrest option available in both these models.

Old 27th June 2021, 23:01   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Think fit the bill well for all my requirements and I pulled the trigger on that one. What also helped the decision was that the Think is assembled here and therefore I could fully customise my color specs etc.
Should get delivery within a fortnight or so lockdown movement permitting. Will post a picture when I receive mine.
Finally got my chair about a month after placing the order. Here is a picture as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-99f18a7843e74e409e4633235321e3f6.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:51   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My 11 year old son's teacher caught him fooling around in his office chair (rotating high back chair with wheels) during online classes.
SmartCat: have been meaning to thank you. Saw your review and bought 1 to try it. Liked it so much that we bought 2 more to replace our inappropriate armless dining chairs we had been using for WFH and online schooling.

Very comfortable and has done away with the inevitable sliding around on wheeled chairs.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:51   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Almost all of these plastic monoblock chairs are actually ergonomically superb!

Here's my review of plastic chair v/s Aeron:
Attachment 2153967

As readers can probably tell, the Aeron just doesn't work well for me - but the plastic chairs are seriously good for support & ergonomics nonetheless. Just make sure you have a desk which allows you to actually slide your chair under it to get into the ideal seating position (ie. not blocked by drawers or a low table-top height).
If you like plastic chairs, you might want to have a look at this company.

I am using a Venus WT. This chair has revolving and height adjustment but no recline. The lumbar support is simply unbelievable.

It looks like a replica of Herman Miller Caper chair.
Manufactured in India and I was offered a 5 year warranty as well.

Pricing is not as cheap as one would imagine but compared the Herman miller chair, it is far far cheaper.
I think I paid around 10k for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
All these are made by the same chinese OEMs. The local vendors just slap their logo on them.

Only the well known brands - HM, Steelcase, Haworth etc build their own chairs with their own components. Rest just rebadge chairs from chinese OEMs.
I would tend to disagree with you.
With some basic research I have come across three manufacturers who actually manufacture most of the components themselves. In fact they supply to most of the Indian big brands such as Godrej, Wipro & featherlite as well.

I can assure you that the astro chair by Featherlite is made in India completely.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 2nd August 2021 at 11:02.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:24   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I am using a Venus WT....
Are the handrests detachable, or a single modular piece passing through the backrest edges?

I'm looking to get something with ventilated and firm surfaces, and this looks great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks