Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 10:06   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The 'contact project' does not have the intermittent locking for recline. Maybe that is why the knob adjustment is provided
I have seen chairs that come with both too. A knob to adjust the tension for recline and a lever to lock the recline position as per desired angle.

However, the locking mechanism indeed supplements for the absence of the knob for sure.
Old 9th October 2020, 10:11   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have seen chairs that come with both too. A knob to adjust the tension for recline and a lever to lock the recline position as per desired angle.

However, the locking mechanism indeed supplements for the absence of the knob for sure.
Yes, the chair, featherlite versa, in my office has both. However, the same chair in the stores did not have the locking lever for recline . Wonder if the home range of models has some cost cutting
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:02   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is there decent ergonomic chairs available without wheels? I have a hard stone floor at home and anything with wheels will destroy it. And I hate wheeled chairs on hard floors cause you end up moving here and there through the day.
If you are with a ~ 40K budget, I'd recomment the Steelcase Think V2. They have castors for different floor types and the chair itself is brilliant. Alternately, castors can be easily replaced with a good quality aftermarket set to suit your floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Are these guys, wurfel, reliable? I am getting a corporate discount via my company of around 30-33% and I am looking at getting a office chair.
Not sure if this is the same as Wurfel Kitchen (German OEM), but it really depends on your budget. For anything over 15k, I'd look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash666 View Post

- Ergonomic - should have basic lumbar, thigh support
- Foam should be such that doesn't give way before 5 - 6 yrs. My current chair costed me 7 k and lasted over 8 yrs.
- I should be able to comfortably sit on chair for extended periods of time. 4 hrs + at a go. Although i tend to move around every hours or so (switching the camera off between GVC's).

Office chairs in my office - https://in.steelcase.com/collections...products/think

These are quite good. around 37K with discounts. Also, these big brands tend to have HUGE discounts going on (30 - 75%) .... just need to find them in right time.
In my opinion, based on tens of reviews and auditions, I'd anyday recommend an ergonomic chair over a gaming chair. They are much better suited for longer working hours and promote better posture.

Now, coming to the choice of chairs, Steelcase Think V2 is one of the best chairs I have tried and is quite a looker too. At that price point, you literally have no competition. I've been offered this chair at ~37k too.

Anyway, here are a few alternatives I personally tried:

Humanscale - Diffrient - Has a peculiar design that dissuades the use of armrests while working. A super intelligent chair with no manual adjustments and is really comfortable to sit on. The retail price of this chair is over a lakh, but they are running a 62% discount under their home office offer.

Haworth - Zody - Comes very close to Think V2 in terms of overall comfort with marginally better lumbar support. The online price is about ~50k, with add-on discounts for empoyees of a few companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In Featherlite, their Helix range is very good. But the price starts around 22K (https://www.featherlitefurniture.com...-office-chairs).
I have 2 nos. of Contact Project chairs from Featherlite that I bought for ~ 5k about 6-7 years ago. They are a testimony to Featherlite's rugged build and reliable quality.

However, I wanted to buy a mid-range chair for the third one and had almost finalised Think V2, but after trying the Helix I'm kind of undecided.

The Helix MB is a fantastic chair that offers similar features that you find in international brands, albeit at a much lower price point.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:15   #169
BHPian

The Herman Miller and the Steelcase series are out of my budget but. The Herman Miller Embody was too good. The Aeron does live up to the hype but I wasn't too keen on the mesh seating. The Sayl and Mirra 2 are very good as well for their price points. Maybe a few years down the line, I might get the Embody or Aeron.

I got the Featherlite Optima HB from nearby Featherlite showroom. I tried all the chairs in the showroom before opting for the Optima HB.

Here are my thoughts for folks looking at the Featherlite office chair range and wanting to pick one from the range. I found the ones without lumbar support not to my liking and the bare mesh won't offer much support to the lower back so I have listed ones with back support.

1. Only one from the fabric or faux leather series - the Tycoon offered atleast some amount of lower back support due to cushion padding but rest had a curved back only. Didn't opt for the fabric or leather chairs since I wanted a mesh back to avoid sweating.
2. Enzo, Liberate - Both the Enzo and Liberate have a self calibrated and auto adjusting back. The chairs with their touted self adjusting back support is good for someone who keeps flexing within the chair but the lumbar support is only mesh with a curved back which auto adjusts. This is not for someone who would want a firm lumbar support. There is a mesh version in liberate and also a fabric seating option.
3. Anatom, Astro, Amaze, Versa, Torso - The lumbar support is decent in the Anatom, Astro and Amaze range and are good for the less than 10K price budget. Among these, the Torso range had good lumbar support and also comes with the head rest. In all these, both the seat & arm rest are one way adjustable (up/down) only and the foam seat is of decent quality. The Anatom, Versa and Torso have the seat recline tension adjustment but the rest don't have this. If one has to choose the best budget pick from Featherlite range, it has to be the Versa.
4. Helix - The Helix is a very good option with seat adjustability both up/down and forward/backward and 4 way arm rest adjustability and better mesh back compared to the above chairs. The lumbar support is not a flat one like the above chairs and is sort of a 3D curved one which makes it much better compared to the above chairs. Helix is the only chair in the Featherlite range which has the feature where you can move the arm rest closer to you or away from you. There was also another chair which was similar to the Helix but without the head rest option and it had a rolling curve top at the back. This was pricier than the Helix with the same adjustability options as the Helix but I forgot the name of this one.
5. Optima - I purchased the High Back version of this one. Optima and Helix are the mid range chairs in the Featherlite range. I chose the Optima because everything in the chair can be adjusted - superior back mesh, 3 way adjustability for arm rest (misses out on the 4 way adjustability which Helix has), up/down seat adjustability, forward/backward seat adjustability, headrest can be tilted forward/backward as well as can be moved up/down, lumbar support can be moved up/down as well as forward/backward, tension of recline can be increased or reduced and back recline has a 3 way setting. Among all the above chairs the lumbar support in Optima offered the more firmer back support (compared to even the Pinnacle) due to the tension adjustment for lumbar support. So from a lower back ache perspective this is a good buy. There are two versions of the Optima - an Indian version and an imported version. The Indian version is priced at 16K, has smaller seat than the imported version, medium firm foam seat, plastic base and misses out on some adjustments from the imported version. The imported version is Taiwan made and has a firmer seat with mesh on top of the foam pad, priced at 28K, chrome plated base, build is much better and heavier chair and better all around adjustability. I opted for the imported version since I feature and build wise it was better. There are no stocks of Optima HB on the online store nor with the dealer. But as luck would have it, the dealer had kept aside an Indian version and an imported version for another customer since the customer was in a dilemma which one to get but the customer had not come back to make the payment for more than a week. I was ready to buy the chair immediately and did not need transport since I could take the chair with me in my car saving the dealer transport expenses as well. The chair was in assembled state with all the packing intact and the dealer obliged. I got a 10 percent discount on account of the WFH sale going on. Featherlite is planning to discontinue the imported version and make it in India in a few month time frame and the dealer was not sure when the next lot would be imported due to Covid scenario. The bill had the Optima MB and headrest billed separately so not sure if this is how they are billing the Optima HB normally.
6. Pinnacle - This is the superior one from the Featherlite range. This is similar to the ErgoHuman chair series available in the US. Nilkamal also has a version of this one called Sofia. Featherlite has both mesh and leather versions available. The back is a 2 part one with a protruding lumbar support section which can auto adjust as well as can be customized manually. There is also Pinnacle chair version which has foot rest which can be pulled up front and back as required. This is similar to a recliner except that the entire chair is mesh. The arm rest is 3 way adjustable in this chair. The arm rest in this chair is attached to the back rather than the seat and so the arm rest also goes up and down everytime the chair is reclined or comes back in normal position. This can cause the arm rest to keep hitting the table everytime you recline back. I keep reading of tailbone pain issues with a mesh chair on many forums and so had to leave this out for two reasons - the mesh seat and the price which would have taken it over 60K.

Last edited by whencut86 : 19th October 2020 at 13:18. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:17   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
However, I wanted to buy a mid-range chair for the third one and had almost finalised Think V2, but after trying the Helix I'm kind of undecided.
Looks like I'm caught in the FOMO (fear of missing out) cycle!

If I hadn't tried the Featherlite Helix after sitting on the Steelcase Think, I might've pulled the trigger on the latter two weeks ago!

Think has a superior build, marginally better back support and comfort, and an unparalleled 12 years' warranty, but comes at an almost 100% premium over the Helix.

Here are direct links to the adjustments on both chairs for anyone looking for either of them.

Featherlite Helix

Steelcase Think V2

Meanwhile, my brother-in-law pitched in with a bouncer. He said the new trend is to stand and work. Now that brings me back to square one
Old 20th October 2020, 12:36   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, my brother-in-law pitched in with a bouncer. He said the new trend is to stand and work. Now that brings me back to square one
We do have a thread for that as well.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...sk-thread.html (The 'Standing Desk' Thread)

Just updated the thread with a recent purchase.

I also got a Liberate chair https://bengaluru.featherlitestore.c...t/liberate-hb/ along with that. Without a standing desk, I might have gone for a better chair but since I am alternating between sitting and standing, I find the combination working well for me now.
Old 20th October 2020, 14:59   #172
BHPian

Quote:
If I hadn't tried the Featherlite Helix after sitting on the Steelcase Think, I might've pulled the trigger on the latter two weeks ago!

Think has a superior build, marginally better back support and comfort, and an unparalleled 12 years' warranty, but comes at an almost 100% premium over the Helix.
The Featherlite Helix comes with a 10 percent discount due to the WFH sale going on now. At this price point and 3 year warranty I think the Helix should be a no brainer and should also last well. Have seen Featherlite office chairs last atleast 8 years easily. Please do try the Optima as well. It is even better than Helix.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:13   #173
BHPian

@whencut86 We have Featherlite Amaze for a few months now which my wife uses to WFH and it's been good so far. I'm planning to pick up one for myself and thinking to go for Torso based on your experience and hoping it would provide a slightly better lumbar support when compared to the likes of Amaze/Versa. Is Torso worth the money? I thought of Helix but I'd rather buy the Optima, but it's out of stock.
Old 20th October 2020, 17:50   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
@whencut86 We have Featherlite Amaze for a few months now which my wife uses to WFH and it's been good so far. I'm planning to pick up one for myself and thinking to go for Torso based on your experience and hoping it would provide a slightly better lumbar support when compared to the likes of Amaze/Versa. Is Torso worth the money? I thought of Helix but I'd rather buy the Optima, but it's out of stock.
You can head to nearest showroom to try them. They have their entire collection in showroom to try even if they don't have it in stock. They have the Optima HB Indian version priced at 16K. Please do try this in store and if you are okay with this then it is only a slight increase in price from Torso HB plus you get a WFH sale discount of 10 percent. Helix has superior mesh and even firmer seat compared to Torso. The headrest is height adjustable in Torso but is kind off fixed in Helix. The Helix has a curved back compared to Torso. So you really have to try them both personally to see which fits you best.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:08   #175
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has first hand experience of steelcase chairs. I am being offered the Leap for 69k and Think for 41k. Need two chairs for me and my wife. Wondering whether to buy one of each.
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:45   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Anyone has first hand experience of steelcase chairs. I am being offered the Leap for 69k and Think for 41k. Need two chairs for me and my wife. Wondering whether to buy one of each.
I tried the Series 1, Think V2 and Leap twice in a span of two weeks. The Leap is definitely ahead of Think and offers the following advantages:

1. Better upper back support and a firmer upright position. The Think has a rocking chair like effect in the fixed position that is a make or break.

2. Superb build quality with an all aluminum "platinum" frame. Think has that option too, but at an additional cost.

3. Better lumbar support despite not having an adjustment (the Leap has an cushioned back unlike the Think that has a mesh back.)

If you are 5' 10" or above, the back frame of the Think chair tends to push into your shoulders. I've seen this reported in a detailed review as well. Wasn't a problem for me though (I'm 5" 9.5" )

Having said all this, I've not seen a better looking chair than the Think. While I know that isn't a consideration, I can guarantee that every time to get off the chair, you'll turn back and admire it

Now, I strongly suggest that you try both options before you make a decision. On that note, I strongly recommend the Featherlite Helix too. At just 23k, it offers superb back support, comes with a reliable 3 years warranty and outstanding customer support.

Last edited by pannags : 22nd October 2020 at 20:48.
Old 14th November 2020, 20:52   #177
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a comfortable work-station chair within 15k range. Good under-thigh and lumbar support are primary requirements. Need to spend ~10 hours everyday at desk. At times more & hence sofa/bean-bag/dining-table chairs aren't making the cut anymore.

Liberate & Enzo from Featherlite look to be in my range. Anybody using these? Would appreciate a review. Btw is it good to go for the High-Back(HB) one or is it pointless? There's a 1600-1800INR premium for HB over Medium Back.

I have absolutely no idea on office chairs, hence appreciate some direction(brands, models etc) in selecting one.

Last edited by SoumenD : 14th November 2020 at 21:19.
Old 15th November 2020, 09:46   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Looking for a comfortable work-station chair within 15k range. Good under-thigh and lumbar support are primary requirements. Need to spend ~10 hours everyday at desk. At times more & hence sofa/bean-bag/dining-table chairs aren't making the cut anymore.

Liberate & Enzo from Featherlite look to be in my range. Anybody using these? Would appreciate a review. Btw is it good to go for the High-Back(HB) one or is it pointless? There's a 1600-1800INR premium for HB over Medium Back.

I have absolutely no idea on office chairs, hence appreciate some direction(brands, models etc) in selecting one.
If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Helix chair from Featherlite is actually superb value for money for what it offers. It has good lower back support with an adjustable lumbar.

From the options you have shortlisted, I'd recommend Liberate having tried that a couple of times. However, you need to try it out yourself before you can determine what suits you better.

I personally think high back does not make much of a difference, but a headrest may help when you are reading or listening while taking calls. Something that you normally be able to figure out after using the chair for a certain period of time.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 11:00   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Helix chair from Featherlite is actually superb value for money for what it offers. It has good lower back support with an adjustable lumber...
Thanks for the suggestion but its way out of my budget. I actually started with 10k and now stretched to 14/15k.
Quote:
From the options you have shortlisted, I'd recommend Liberate having tried that a couple of times. However, you need to try it out yourself before you can determine what suits you better.
Thanks, will visit the showroom next weekend for a first hand experience.

Btw while searching online came across Transteel. Feature-wise they look pretty good and are cheaper than featherlite. But surprisingly there’s barely any comparison videos online. Is it because these ergo chairs became more popular among individual owners only recently due to covid induced WFH? In this age of online content for absolutely everything I am finding lack of comparison videos a little weird. Or maybe am not looking at the right place?
Old 15th November 2020, 16:57   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

As is good and right, all the chairs show proper usage and posture. Maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't always sit like that?

I need a chair that I can comfortably slouch in, tipped back, with my feet up. If you use your chair for watching movies, or even long reading periods, and your posture discipline is, ahem, less than perfect, then check that the chair is good for this, as well as proper working position. Don't be embarrassed to try it in the store!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks