Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 22:25   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My daily chair is Herman Miller's iconic Aeron and I am extremely particular about back support. Got to tell you, this Cello Jordan chair offers excellent all-day long support.
Almost all of these plastic monoblock chairs are actually ergonomically superb!

Here's my review of plastic chair v/s Aeron:
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-whatsapp-image-20210509-10.20.58-pm.jpeg

As readers can probably tell, the Aeron just doesn't work well for me - but the plastic chairs are seriously good for support & ergonomics nonetheless. Just make sure you have a desk which allows you to actually slide your chair under it to get into the ideal seating position (ie. not blocked by drawers or a low table-top height).

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2021 at 22:26.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 22:34   #227
Team-BHP Support

Simple chairs are like the backseat of most cars - comfortable despite having no adjustments. More choices/settings you have, more likely you will choose the wrong combination and end up with less than comfortable sitting position.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:23   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
If your looking for a 1 time invesment then i would suggest going in for a Herman miller, Steelcase, Haworth.

Heena, steelcase :- 9833313453
Swapnil, Haworth :- 9867552602
Umesh, Herman miller :- 9833366570

If its just for the lockdown and around the 5k mark. (chinese mostly)

Sandeep, Divine :- 9870049002
Atm :-9987932981
Rustom, Godrej :- 9821204561
I wish there was a way to pin this post. Thanks for this helpful database of number. I did a lot of research and I actively wanted to consider the Herman Miller Embody or the Steelcase Gesture. Will call these folks and get some more info.

Any inputs on the material choice of these chairs. With leather or without. My intuitive sense is mesh should be the best bet but the Steelcase is a fabric base.

Which model of Haworth would be the most comparable to the above two models?

Thank you.
Old 11th May 2021, 10:53   #229
BHPian

HM are way too expensive and doesn't make sense for home purpose. We have used them in luxury offices and that too in MD cabin or board rooms. Simplest will cost you 60K post 25% discount. Bulk buys can get better discounts.

Haworth, we enquired in last November, in Gurgaon office. They have virtually closed down their operation in India due to lack of feasible business quantum.

Steel case makes a good one. I will suggest to go with this.
Honda Monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:14   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Any inputs on the material choice of these chairs. With leather or without. My intuitive sense is mesh should be the best bet but the Steelcase is a fabric base.

Which model of Haworth would be the most comparable to the above two models?
Haworth Fern, I think, is comparable.

Regarding material of choice, I think elastomer/polyester should do pretty good and durable. With leather comes responsibility and you cannot get mesh structures for the airflow, which is important for those warm days. In NL, where I live, now-a-days summers get pretty hot and my home office does neither in the shade of some trees, nor any airconditioning (It is not very common to have airconditioning here at all).

If you are going to use the chair in a room with higher ambient temperatures (not shady trees around/no aircon.), it is wise to choose a chair with a mesh base too. I shortlisted Herman Miller's Mirra 2 and Aeron for home use esp. for the mesh base and the comfort. But Aeron has one major problem ie I could not adjust the seat depth (You can only choose 3 sizes of chair, but not adjust depth), whereas Mirra 2 had that feature. For tall persons, depth adjustment is indeed very important. Also Aeron comes with 3D handrest which is a minor but useful missing feature when compared to Mirra 2 (4D). A comparison table below. I think 2 or 3 years ago, HM launched Cosm (Also designed by studio7.5, Berlin which designed Mirra 2) and you should check it out as well. I find that also very comfortable and has a whole mesh (even for handrest) design.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-screenshot-20210511-092612.png

Last edited by carthick1000 : 11th May 2021 at 13:15.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:05   #231
BHPian

Folks,

Pls suggest a good ergonomic chair at a decent price. My office uses Harmon Miller ones and though, I 100% agree that they are the best, yet the cost is exorbitant for me.

I am looking at something in 15-20K range. I did think about Featherlite options, but they are too many of them spread across from 8K to 30K and now there seems to other companies launching similar products at much cheaper price.

Hence, this confusion prevails.
shantanumishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:14   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Pls suggest a good ergonomic chair at a decent price. My office uses Harmon Miller ones and though, I 100% agree that they are the best, yet the cost is exorbitant for me.

I am looking at something in 15-20K range. I did think about Featherlite options, but they are too many of them spread across from 8K to 30K and now there seems to other companies launching similar products at much cheaper price.
I acquired an Aeron chair last year for 24k (original Herman Miller), I know sources who buy in bulk, very lightly used chairs, but authentic. Many companies sell them in bulk because the facility head didn't like them AFTER they were bought, my chair had all the protective wrap intact.

Let me see if I have that number or if he still is in that business (lockdowns have affected all businesses). Otherwise you wont go wrong with Featherlite, they had a manufacturing /assembling arrangement with Herman Miller about a decade and a half ago. You should get supremely plush, comfy chairs at well under 30k. We have the Tycoon highback as well, cost about 20k about 3 years ago. Highly recommend that over the overrated Aeron.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 10:18   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I acquired an Aeron chair last year for 24k (original Herman Miller), I know sources who buy in bulk, very lightly used chairs, but authentic. Many companies sell them in bulk because the facility head didn't like them AFTER they were bought, my chair had all the protective wrap intact.

Let me see if I have that number or if he still is in that business (lockdowns have affected all businesses). Otherwise you wont go wrong with Featherlite, they had a manufacturing /assembling arrangement with Herman Miller about a decade and a half ago. You should get supremely plush, comfy chairs at well under 30k. We have the Tycoon highback as well, cost about 20k about 3 years ago. Highly recommend that over the overrated Aeron.

Thanks, as long as I can get a bill for the Aeron, I am happy to get it at the price mentioned.

My basic requirements are for a High back with Lumbar support,
Old 24th May 2021, 13:49   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I acquired an Aeron chair last year for 24k (original Herman Miller)

Let me see if I have that number or if he still is in that business (lockdowns have affected all businesses).
Please check and share the contact. A Herman Miller for that price is irresistible.
Old 27th May 2021, 00:10   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Got this bad boy yesterday and I have nothing but all the nice things to say about this comfy chair from Featherlite. I had considered Liberate and Optima as well but nothing matched to comfort offered by Helix HB. Highly recommended
I have also shortlisted Liberate as I am looking for a chair around 15k budget. Helix, though expensive, has excellent rating on ecom sites so I am in two minds. How did you chose between the two? Did you buy from a showroom and got to try both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Folks,

Hence, this confusion prevails.
I am in the same boat so looking forward to the suggestions..

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th May 2021 at 06:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
Old 27th May 2021, 07:28   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post

Heena, steelcase :- 9833313453
Swapnil, Haworth :- 9867552602
Umesh, Herman miller :- 9833366570
An update to this. Heena has now left Steelcase. If you want to check these out in Mumbai, there is a showroom in Raghuvanshi Mills (Company called Antares, the building is called No. 9). It’s on the first floor. Nice set up to check the products out in person. Incidentally HM is also in the Raghuvanshi complex although I finally didn’t check it out as I was clear post research I would prefer the Gesture over the Embody and wasn’t really attracted to the Miira 2 or the Aeron at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I actively wanted to consider the Herman Miller Embody or the Steelcase Gesture. Will call these folks and get some more info.
Once I got to Steelcase and saw their range, I primarily narrowed my consideration set down to Think, Leap and Gesture. I somehow didn’t like the Leap at all and was totally torn between the Gesture (~98k) and Think (~50k). All in all, while the Gesture seemed nice and the armrest movement was a bit more in it, it didn’t feel “twice the price” nice. The Think fit the bill well for all my requirements and I pulled the trigger on that one. What also helped the decision was that the Think is assembled here and therefore I could fully customise my color specs etc. whereas the range of available inventory on the Gesture was VERY limited since its a direct import.

Should get delivery within a fortnight or so lockdown movement permitting. Will post a picture when I receive mine.
Old 27th May 2021, 09:18   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I have also shortlisted Liberate as I am looking for a chair around 15k budget. Helix, though expensive, has excellent rating on ecom sites so I am in two minds. How did you chose between the two? Did you buy from a showroom and got to try both?
I am in the same boat so looking forward to the suggestions..
Hey, welcome to the dilemma, I guess you need to visit the Showroom too. That's how I made up my mind. Helix has almost the same spec when compared to Liberate but it excels in awesome Lumbar support, you can adjust the push back tightness, seat depth is more and fit & finish is little wee better (I love the grey colour). I suggest once the lock down is lifted, please go and have a look. I am sure you ll be able to decide in a jiffy. happy hunting.
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 10:04   #238
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a ergonomic chair for WFH with a budget of around 15k which I can stretch a bit if it is worth. Due to lockdown in Bangalore, I am unable to visit showroom. There are so many options available online, I am feeling like a lost kid in candy store

I am keen on featherlite range as it looks like most recommended though i am ok for Royaloak/Wipro etc if any strong recommendation. So far I have shortlisted Featherlite Liberate High Back model. If I stretch my budget, Featherlite Helix is another option but not sure it is worth spending extra 8k. So really need first hand feedback from our fellow friends here TIA
Old 1st June 2021, 10:08   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am looking for a ergonomic chair for WFH with a budget of around 15k which I can stretch a bit if it is worth. Due to lockdown in Bangalore, I am unable to visit showroom. There are so many options available online, I am feeling like a lost kid in candy store

I am keen on featherlite range as it looks like most recommended though i am ok for Royaloak/Wipro etc if any strong recommendation. So far I have shortlisted Featherlite Liberate High Back model. If I stretch my budget, Featherlite Helix is another option but not sure it is worth spending extra 8k. So really need first hand feedback from our fellow friends here TIA
I had the same dilemma since quite sometime, visited many websites and many brands, but couldnt decide.

Finally, few friends suggested Lad Workspaces, its a small supplier in Bangalore (Bellandur area) who makes and supplies similar chairs as featherlite. He is on Amazon as well.

I bought their model 009 and 012 and am pretty happy with the purchase. will try to post some pics. Few other friends also bought and they seem to be happy as well.

Price I paid was around 5800 for one piece.
shantanumishra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:34   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

A week ago, I bought Featherlite Liberate High Back chair from amazon.in: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08T7HGNMB/ . At the time of my purchase, the cost was Rs. 17.2k (it might be different by the time you check the link).

Overall I am quite happy with the chair. The quality of materials and control/slide mechanisms is top notch. The chair feels very sturdy, well-built, and smooth to operate. Absolutely no complaints on that front.

The chair is supposed to be quite ergonomic, and is designed for providing ideal back support and also some exercise to the back. If you look up, there are many reviews and demo videos of this chair that explain this "flexible dynamic lumbar support" design.

However, in my experience, it takes some time to get used to this. The picture below (taken from the amazon.in product listing page) shows this unique back design:

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-chair.jpg

As you can see this picture, the chair has an aggressive lumbar support. Further, if you you lock the backrest to an angle (so that it does not recline further), the back support is never 100% rigid because the back design itself is flexible and continuously adjusts to your back shape. There is this flexible backrest that is attached on top of the rigid back mechanism. You can lock that rigid mechanism in various positions, but this flexible back support on top will always remain flexible and adapt to your back shape, and in return, keep applying dynamic pressure on your back.

Thus, when I lock the backrest and then rest my back on the chair, it steel keeps moving and pushing back at me, and it feels a bit odd for a first few days. I was really uncomfortable on this chair for first couple of days. I was used to the more relaxed position (not necessarily ergonomically correct) in my old chair, and this chair forced me to sit in some ergonomic posture which was not easy for me to get used to.

However, now having used this chair for a week or so, I am liking it. I have got used to the specific posture it forces on me, and I have stated to appreciate the ergonomic design. I feel soon I will get totally used to this and this will turn out to be great chair for the long-term use.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good quality, well-built ergonomic chair. However, as mentioned above, please be prepared for the initial struggle and it will take some time till you feel comfortable on this chair.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 3rd June 2021 at 12:36.
Dr.AD is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks