Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the world cup ?
Russia 5 2.65%
Germany 46 24.34%
Argentina 18 9.52%
Australia 0 0%
Belgium 21 11.11%
Brazil 30 15.87%
Colombia 0 0%
Costa Rica 1 0.53%
Croatia 8 4.23%
Denmark 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
England 9 4.76%
France 29 15.34%
Iceland 0 0%
Iran 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.06%
Morocco 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Panama 0 0%
Peru 1 0.53%
Poland 1 0.53%
Portugal 7 3.70%
Saudi Arabia 1 0.53%
Senegal 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
Spain 7 3.70%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Tunisia 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:33   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

World cup is a torture for Messi fans. ARG team is so bad, I really hope they get kicked out as early as possible so we dont have to watch Messi in a WC.
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:36   #107
BHPian

Terrible play by Argentina. Defended like kids, passed like amateurs, and doesn't even bothered to attack. An embarrassing loss in the end. There's is surely no way for them to be in the knockout rounds. And they don't deserve it too.

Hats off to the Croatians. Superb goal by Modric!!!!
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:51   #108
BHPian

Messi can't play without Barcelona support. Argentina has delivered the worst performance conceding 3 goals.

Croatia did a wonderful job and what a goal by Luka Modric. The way they played today and the commitment on field was superb.They are big threat to the other teams and wish to see them in later stages of game.

Ronaldo is better than Messi.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd June 2018 at 05:04. Reason: Corrected 'conceiving' to 'conceding'.
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I am glad that Argentina lost. Now, we can concentrate on the other teams. Btw, people keep saying the team doesn't support Messi. That he misses the Barcelona team. I ask - then what is he? a NOBODY!
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:02   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I used to hate Italy for that, as whenever they score a single goal, all 10 players would come back to their half and defend. That makes the game very very boring for the spectators.
I am a supporter of the Italian team, and i agree with what you've said.
However, Italy has always been a team focussed more on their defensive skills, and hitting back on counter attacks, rather than an attacking team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
Is it just me or is France totally unimpressive. Amazing individual talent but don't seem to be gelling as a team . For the better portion of the match vs Peru, i thought the Peruvians played much better looking football without good finishing. I don't hold much hope for France in the knockout phase when they face a stronger team
I watched France play against Australia, and honestly the only reason they won is because Australia happened to be on the wrong end of the refereeing decisions. France played devoid of any flair, and the game in itself was quite scrappy. I didnt watch their win against Peru, but i wouldnt think it'd be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Argentina attack and defense was weak, Croatia when they attacked or defended they did with a sea of players(in term of numbers). On the other hand Argentina I could sense very few players in numbers, I could anticipate just by that they are going to loose badly.

On top of that Argentina players behaved badly.
Argentina looked like they played to lose. There was absolute lack of commitment from the team, and their defence was in tatters throughout.
Croatia on the other hand played with vigor and a calm approach. The third goal they scored bore testament to their ability to remain focused and not be in a hurry to just kick the ball towards the goal. A very well deserved victory indeed.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:08   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Messi can't play without Barcelona support.
I am not sure we can conclude that by 2 games where he didn't have good game. And with regards to that statement, the same Messi was part of an Argentina team which reached three major tournament finals and played a pivotal part in all those events. If that is not being able to play without support from Barcelona players I have nothing more to add. And if not for him, Argenitna wouldn't even be playing this world cup. And for the last two seasons, especially after Xavi retired and Iniesta has been playing less due to injuries, it was Messi who is making the Barcelona team tick, not the other way around. I say this because I almost watch all the matches of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

I hate comparing Ronaldo with Messi, as I admire both of them. Would there be any such discussion if Argentina won the WC in 2014? Can we decide the stature and greatness of a player by 1 match, because that was all that stood between Messi and a World Cup. Can we ignore the body of work this genius has done against world class players every week for the last 10 or more years with unparalleled consistency. As I replied earlier, in Portugals best performance since Ronaldo joined the squad, lifting Euro 2016, he was great in only two matches and didn't even play the final. And in World cups the best they could manage was 4th place in 2006. So how can we conclude Ronaldo is great than Messi or otherwise? In fact both have done great service to their national teams and were unfortunate to not have more success. There have been lots of players, legends of this game, who didn't manage to win WC. Johan Cryuff, Planiti, Zico, Buffon, Maldini, Best, Eusebio, Oliver Khan, Puskas, De Stefano to name a few.

And with regards to support, every player, however great they are, needs that in a team sport. Maradona was exceptional in the 86 WC, but had a stellar support cast who actually performed and let the genius to spread his magic as he was given a free role. With the current Argentina squad, Messi has to be the playmaker as well as finisher.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:27   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
With the current Argentina squad, Messi has to be the playmaker as well as finisher.
oh so, what roles do higuain, dybala, aguero, di maria play?
(These are all top class Attacking midfielders/forwards)
Its not a right statement to say that Messi is all alone in this current Argentina squad. Somehow they just dont tick.
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:01   #113
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was shocked at the way Argentina played and the goalkeeping was pathetic to say the least, the score could easily have been 4-0 or more if those close calls in the first half had ended up as goals In the end, it was a thrashing that Croatia inflicted on the hapless Argentinians (despite the goal-less first half).

Last edited by NPV : 22nd June 2018 at 12:03.
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:06   #114
BHPian

A forward lineup that comprises Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Di Maria is expected to cause some serious damage. They are world class players based on their club form. The issue is all of them look out of sorts playing for Argentina. Its no coincidence. And I don't think its the coach's fault also. Multiple managers failed to extract the best out of these players. Jorge Sampaoli did a superb job putting Chile back among the elite footballing nations.

The problem is compounded by their midfield and defense. Their central MF is aging and its showing. Mascherano + Biglia + Banega is neither properly creative nor mobile. Messi thrives when he has players like Iniesta/Xavi/Rakitic providing. With Argentina he has to drop back and assist the attacking midfield doubling up as a No. 10. A great technician like him doesn't need the extra burden no matter how good he is at it. That is why he is so ineffective in this setup. As if that isn't enough, the back 4 + GK especially doesn't inspire any confidence at all.

Last edited by strawhat : 22nd June 2018 at 12:08.
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:09   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Its not a right statement to say that Messi is all alone in this current Argentina squad. Somehow they just dont tick.
Yes they are all top class forwards with Di Maria primarily being a winger. And that has been their major problem. They have world class forwards but the midfield is pretty weak and as such they don't receive much service. For this reason Messi has to play deeper in the midfield, limiting his threat in the final third. And whether it is sheer bad luck or ill fate, none of these world class forwards have been able to provide the edge to their national team. The recent world cup qualifiers is a great example wherein Messi didn't play for 10 matches and the team could only collect 7 points from the available 30, whereas with him in the team they collected 21 out of 30 points.

To be frank one can lay the blame entirely on the AFA and the coaches who were unable to come with a strategy or tactical setup which can utilise the exceptional forward line they have. And they have changed 3 managers in recent times. In 1986 the Argentinian coach used a 3-5-2 formation packing the midfield and allowing Maradona to play freely at the front. Having a player of Messi's capability and then asking him to do midfield duties is absurd.
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:12   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Just like Tendulkar had to bear the weight of the 1 billion+ Indians, during all the years he was playing . Fans have a way of rationalizing poor performance .
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:01   #117
BHPian

Quote:
There have been lots of players, legends of this game, who didn't manage to win WC. Johan Cryuff, Planiti, Zico, Buffon, Maldini, Best, Eusebio, Oliver Khan, Puskas, De Stefano to name a few.
Buffon has won the WC in 2006 (Germany).

He received the Yashin award, and was runner-up in the FIFA ballon d'or.
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:16   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are all top class forwards with Di Maria primarily being a winger.
I totally agree with your posts, which I find very rational. Two games don't belittle the greatness of Messi. His goals in La Liga for the last 13 years or so are a testament that he is one of the greatest players the game has ever seen.

Personally I rate club football much higher than WC. Isn't WC reduced to something like an IPL? - a once in a four year jamboree compared to year long relentless club football season?
Old 22nd June 2018, 15:33   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Buffon has won the WC in 2006 (Germany).

He received the Yashin award, and was runner-up in the FIFA ballon d'or.
Ya somehow confused his Champions league drought with WC. Thanks for the correction
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:26   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Actually, I am glad that Argentina lost. Now, we can concentrate on the other teams. Btw, people keep saying the team doesn't support Messi. That he misses the Barcelona team. I ask - then what is he? a NOBODY!
Straight to the point as always i see

Maradona called it in his article when he said they would lose against Croatia if how they played against Iceland was anything to go by.

Oh i am no ardent fan of football, just passing by is all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks