England 74 28.24%
West Indies 17 6.49%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2019, 19:12   #166
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Can someone help me with this question - everyone knows about the unpredictable weather in England and Wales where it rains every now and then. Why then did ICC decide to allow them to host the World Cup?
Old 10th June 2019, 21:02   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Can someone help me with this question - everyone knows about the unpredictable weather in England and Wales where it rains every now and then. Why then did ICC decide to allow them to host the World Cup?
Life is so unpredictable but we don't stop living it, do we?

May be the above sentence is a bit heavy, but this being summer is the best time to play cricket in the UK. Moreover they are the founders of the game one of the top three strong cricket boards in the ICC...you can't just not allow them to host the worldcup
Old 11th June 2019, 13:52   #168
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shikhar Dhawan is out of the World Cup after fracturing his thumb in the last game! That is a massive blow for Team India considering his record in ICC tournaments.
I guess there is no choice but to replace him with Pant now.
Old 11th June 2019, 13:56   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Shikhar Dhawan is out of the World Cup after fracturing his thumb in the last game! That is a massive blow for Team India considering his record in ICC tournaments.
It's for 3 weeks. So, he may still come into play if India reach the business end of the tournament. No?
Old 11th June 2019, 13:57   #170
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Dhawan's absence will be a big blow at this stage.
If Pant replaces him in the squad, India will have the option to send Rahul or Pant as opener to partner Rohit.
Old 11th June 2019, 15:10   #171
BHPian

This is my personal opinion. I never liked Dhawan. For me, he is one of the most inconsistent (along with Rohit) batsmen in the Indian team. He scores in one match and then flops in next 5-6 matches.
On a different note, this ‘rain’ is becoming a nuisance for the WC. I think everyone knew that it rains in ENG-WALES around this time. So, why did ICC schedule the tournament during this period?
Instead of playing one match per day, they could have played two each day and then have a reserve day if it rains.
Old 11th June 2019, 16:29   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I think everyone knew that it rains in ENG-WALES around this time. So, why did ICC schedule the tournament during this period?
Instead of playing one match per day, they could have played two each day and then have a reserve day if it rains.
Cricket in England is possible only in the summer months of late May, June, July, August. and early September. It rains throughout the year and actually is less in summer months. So there is no guarantee of dry days in any month of the year.
Old 11th June 2019, 16:35   #173
BHPian

I'm just surprised at the lack of innovation on the ground drainage tech and/or covered stadium front, especially in England. Most matches get washed out due to soggy outfield even if it stops raining.

The way it is now, spectators who travel hundreds of miles, sponsors who spend millions of dollars, players who wait for 4 years to play the world cup and lastly, the game of cricket are all losers.

Very sloppy scheduling and planning on the part of ICC.
Old 11th June 2019, 17:51   #174
BHPian

I don't think they will call either Pant or anyone else, since if they do they will have to send Dhawan back. Then Dhawan can't be called back unless someone else is injured.
So they will test out the team with existing players and hopefully Dhawan will be fit for the latter part of the tournament.
Old 11th June 2019, 19:22   #175
BHPian

The thing with the Dhawan injury is about timing as well. If you don't replace him soon, and he does not get fit, it is a big problem for India as the time runs out for a replacement.
3 Weeks is a long time and you still don't know if he would be fully fit. It's tough because he had started well. I see Pant being called up, we need a left-handed bat in the top order.
Old 11th June 2019, 19:23   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I don't think they will call either Pant or anyone else, since if they do they will have to send Dhawan back. Then Dhawan can't be called back unless someone else is injured.
So they will test out the team with existing players and hopefully Dhawan will be fit for the latter part of the tournament.
I doubt he will be called back even if he gets fit, since by then the newer combination would be working fine (big IF there, but assuming we are alive in the tournament) and there would be no logic to change the winning combination.

It will be safe to say, Dhawan is out of the WC 2019.
Old 11th June 2019, 21:02   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I'm just surprised at the lack of innovation on the ground drainage tech and/or covered stadium front, especially in England. Most matches get washed out due to soggy outfield even if it stops raining.
Agree, but Cricket is on its death throes at this point in England with lackluster public response and hence innovation such as super sopper etc has not made inroads. I love to see cricket in England due to the movement off the seam that the conditions provide but looks like this world cup will be a damp squib with rain playing spoilsport all too often.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

The next match between India and NZ might get washed out too. I stay in the same city and its been raining here continuously from Monday and the weather forecast is bleak with rain predicted until Saturday. Weather is bad all over the country until next Monday.

Couple of my friends have got tickets and are praying that they might be able to see at least a rain shortened game.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:41   #179
Senior - BHPian

If the rains continue, the 4th team for semi finals may be decided on the basis of NRR. This is likely to happen between teams who played lesser games .
Old 12th June 2019, 10:23   #180
BHPian

total 16 matches played, 4 abandoned and 1 D/L. What kind of tournament is this, occurs once in 4 years and 30% of matches are washed out ...

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 12th June 2019 at 10:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks