Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 01:26   #1231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
OK. How many people even in TBHP aren't working for IT / ITES / Financial companies that can do work from home? How many are property dealers, field or shopfloor engineers, industrialists, have shops in a mall or just a corner shop, run a fleet of commercial vehicles etc.
EXACTLY, seeing this forum gives a false idea that work from home is universally possible, no its not.

While the techies will have arranged marriage proposals by the dozens, be highly respected if they just say "IT" and are a standard unto themselves, in the tangible business world, they may account to not even 1%.

All the people I know from retail, C&F, construction industry, dealerships, showrooms etc rely heavily on travel, going to office, customer footfalls etc to make even one rupee. The world is just so, so, so much larger than the digital illusion would have you believe.

I pity the most, car dealerships, luxury industries and malls during this timeframe.. they will get the worst blows on earth. It'll be literally heart wrenching for a businessman to see potential and see the demand but yet knowing that he or she are sitting ducks in this charade called governance.

I dont contest the 21 days, or 21 years or even 210 years which may come into fruition, but why not take calls as the situation evolves? They are single-handedly tanking the economy, brutally at that.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 02:08   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Also, by repeatedly requesting people to stay at home, enough signs were given to stock up ration, at least for 15 days. Only then will people stay inside their houses, not by buying everyday vegetables fresh!
Does request to stay at home means pile up stock for 15 days? I missed the sign . Maybe the parallel message that groceries will be available made me miss the sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
.. bang comes the reply - it is necessary, it has to be done, no other way,
Saying 'no other way' is rather naive and insult to human ingenuity. There are other ways. The epicenter, China did not lock down the whole country. Lockdown is the medieval technique for dealing with something which is unknown, for which there is no cure. True, we have no idea how many are infected. Hence lockdown is the answer. BTW, considering the number of folks who have returned to their native places from cities, lockdown might prove to be double-edged sword.
Quote:
Is there a R Naught number of 3 to the lockdown planning as well?
If I remember right, measles has an R0 of around 18 and it spreads through the air. It's been overcome to the extent that most of the current generation do not know the symptoms of measles. I agree with the biggest killer part, which is boredom.

Last edited by msdivy : 25th March 2020 at 02:16.
msdivy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 02:10   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
I dont contest the 21 days, or 21 years or even 210 years which may come into fruition, but why not take calls as the situation evolves? They are single-handedly tanking the economy, brutally at that.
I wonder what good a strong economy will be if we have people dying by the thousands. Sorry, but I simply don't get it. What exactly do you mean by situation evolves? Isn't it evolved enough already? Or are you saying, let a 100 people die, then lets extend by 10 days, let a million die, and then lets extend by another month?

We are lucky that we have lessons we can learn from other countries who were really unfortunate. And the authorities are trying to do their best out of all the million limitations we have as a country. If this doesn't make our countrymen listen, I am not sure what will?
racer_ash is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 02:19   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
What situation you are talking about? Do you mean to say the lockdown will be justified if ten thousand people are dead?

To put it into perspective what a single infected person can do: Here is a case of Patient 31, from South Korea: Quoting from The New York Times:

"The outbreak has centered on Daegu, a city of about 2.5 million in the country’s southeast, after a 61-year-old Shincheonji congregant — known as Patient No. 31 — is believed to have infected many other worshipers during services. The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported that as of Saturday, 63.5 percent of all confirmed cases in the country were “related to Shincheonji.”

I believe these are desperate times, and I firmly believe that the country is taking right call to sacrifice our economy for few days to save our generation as we know it.
doxinboy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 02:44   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Does request to stay at home means pile up stock for 15 days? I missed the sign . Maybe the parallel message that groceries will be available made me miss the sign.
No Sir, it means I need to avoid stepping out from home unless it's an emergency.

Buying groceries, for me & my family, is not an emergency.

There is no parallel message, no reading between the lines.

The question is - people have been asked to stay at home - so what can they do to ensure they are mostly compliant with that request/order?

When I ask that question to myself, the answer I get is - to as much minimize the need to go outside as possible.

Milk & newspaper is delivered at home, kid's school is closed, I have an option to work from home, don't need a hair cut for 1 month atleast - so what are the reasons left to step outside?

1. Emergency medical needs
2. Groceries

What can I still do to minimize chances of going outside, and thereby defy the request/order to stay at home, and also risk an infection?

Buy groceries that will last at least 15 days.

That's it.

And, this is India, where people grew up in the 80's and 90's by stocking food grains for an entire year along with buying minimum 15 kgs tin of edible oil, further also adding castor oil to wheat and boric powder and mercury tablets in rice and pulses to extend their shelf life.

Buying 15 days groceries is not a big deal. According to my guess, a family of 3 to 4 should any day have that much stock in their kitchen.

Groceries are still available.

My previous post was referencing the point of "sudden announcement", "rush for supplies", "price jacking", etc.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 25th March 2020 at 02:51.
Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 03:11   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
EXACTLY, charade called governance.
Sir, since you are a self made Entrepreneur, you will accept the saying 'how to become a millionaire', it's by investing a billion $.

I personally see it as an event. You see it as loss of business due to loss of foot falls /sales. Government sees it as a pandemic which may overwhelm health care setup. Now how do we balance & emerge out unscathed. Since life is also a priority & especially in a diverse & dynamic society like ours.

High risk travellers returning back are the carrier. Also, they can't be blamed as are part of or aiding in foreign export. Bottom half of the society pyramid are the worst sufferers in this situation.

'But the stoicism and absolute obedience of people to accept any kind of punishment is kind of shocking to me.'

If you look at the big picture every one is trying to come out with the least damage.
ritz3645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 04:03   #1237
BHPian

I assume we have all read the theory of evolution by Darwin. Once again nature is at work on our planet big time and for much of nature 'Natural Selection' and 'Survival of the fittest' still play a dominant role.

So, if anyone wasn't able to prepare and remained completely oblivious to the imminent threat the coronavirus so obviously is, well there just isn't no point in arguing with that kind. Some were expecting government to baby sit them, hand them written memos on and about everything that can be done to survive and sing them lullabies to sleep, that's the side effects of watching too much irrelevant drama on television.

What's worse is that some people are very confident that compared to 'foreign' doctors our Indian doctors are so much better in comparison that they would be able to cure them if they by any chance get infected. With due respect I have all the faith in our doctors but what kind of arrogance is that! People are even politicizing the issue, how one government would have fared better in comparison to another and blah blah. 'Charity begins at home' forget about the world, save yourself and your family first.

People tend to forget the value of Life until a major globalcatastrophic event happens like the World War II, events like these also aid in cleansing human society of the stupid.
And, before I'm accused of being so very self indulged, I did as much for the society while I could including distributing 800 3ply masks in slums of my city and educating them on coronavirus. I see people complaining about Coronavirus and everything related, not just here but everywhere but only a few actually doing something about it. Why not learn from what's happening around the world instead of waiting till the moment it arrives at your door step. Stop with the whining and complaining, this is very real, prepare yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-img20200321wa0022-1.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 25th March 2020 at 04:11.
wrongturn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 04:34   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
It's not announced suddenly; it's being ENFORCED now because the "Aam Junta" is not taking it seriously.

Cannot agree with you more. As you rightly said, a major chunk of our people tend to get a strange sense of sadistic pleasure in defying and flouting orders and directives issued in their interest. Until last week you would see people being casual about this entire pandemic and it appeared that they are invincible and should carry on with business as usual as they are personally not infected. The same applies to activities in some countries in the western world until very recently and they have learnt it the hard way. While I agree with some of my fellow Bhpians that everything is not perfect here but with the population, medical infrastructure and facilities, illiteracy and most importantly the mindset of people around the lockdown is the least that can be done as a precautionary measure against the outbreak. There are pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons and inconvenience. Unless such drastic measures taken, we may end up in a situation much worse than Italy in no time and it would have been too late then.
jbpanda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 05:54   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EXACTLY, seeing this forum gives a false idea that work from home is universally possible, no its not.

While the techies will have arranged marriage proposals by the dozens, be highly respected if they just say "IT" and are a standard unto themselves, in the tangible business world, they may account to not even
To those who think that IT guys have it easy- reality check: the Indian IT services industry model is NOT built around “work-from - home”, how much ever that term may be loosely thrown around. It needs a dedicated standard of infrastructure in terms of power, telecom and computing equipment to deliver 24/7 service across geographies. I know the sheer pain that this situation has inflicted on all stakeholders of the industry, which is battling perceptions of having a comfy office-at-home. For the past few days I have been part of relentless discussions with IT industry associations and dist collectorate officials to allow some leeway to atleast collect machines from office.
fhdowntheline is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 06:18   #1240
BHPian

Hard to believe that the discussion has come down to between saving the people vs saving the economy. What economy are we talking about? One without people? One with millions of infected people? Millions dead?

I can understand there are many holes in the supply chain of essential goods and things could get tough in the coming weeks. That would be a valid point of discussion on whether the government is prepared for it or not.

But comparing the lockdown decision with demonetization? Calling the lockdown knee-jerk? That's just government bashing for the sake of it.

A call had to be taken between businesses/entrepreneurs getting destroyed or families/lives getting uprooted. I guess we know what the government has decided to save.

The hope is to cut down the transmission and expect a reliable line of treatment to come up in the next couple weeks so that even the most vulnerable can be saved in case they're infected.
TROOPER is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 06:28   #1241
BANNED

To quote Taleb (he said it about one of Italy's lockdown) - "Italy is NOT "risking" the economy to fight the virus. It is lowering the risk for the economy by fighting the virus."

The only thing which will save the economy is slowing the virus.

Last edited by carboy : 25th March 2020 at 06:55.
carboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 07:06   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Guys there is an old adage....when wealth is gone, nothing is lost. When health is gone, something is lost. When character is gone, everything is lost.

So lets resolve to do the right thing for the next 21 days- for ourselves and the broader community. No one will be sparred from facing an economic blow. The chosen leader of the country has decided on a path for the country, so lets see to it that we collectively tread on it for a proud victory.
rrsteer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 07:09   #1243

Working from home has been nothing short of a struggle with the power cuts that happen every now and then, I am sure people in U.S. and other 1st world countries can get by but here in the 3rd world, these sort of restrictions are not feasible IMO.

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th March 2020 at 07:32. Reason: Please try and keep the comments to the context, and not to stir up unwanted discussions.
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 07:10   #1244
BHPian

Hey people, just wanted to remind you that there is a separate thread for impact of the Covid19 on the economy. This one is purely for posts related to Coronavirus COVID-19 - the disease.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...l-economy.html
By the way, I don't know who considers newspapers an essential item .
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 07:20   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Hey people, just wanted to remind you that there is a separate thread for impact of the Covid19 on the economy. This one is purely for posts related to Coronavirus COVID-19 - the disease.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...l-economy.html
By the way, I don't know who considers newspapers an essential item .
Perhaps not newspapers but journalists certainly are important, especially in countries like India where authorities have absolute power to harass the common man. Staying informed of current events is important assuming you haven't voluntarily chosen to disconnect from the rest of the world.
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks