Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2020, 14:14   #1411
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Here's an astrologer's view.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4778261 (Do you believe in Astrology, Tarot, Numerology?)
Old 28th March 2020, 14:58   #1412
BHPian

You Need To Listen To This Leading COVID-19 Expert From South Korea.

Found it very informative.
hondafanboy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 16:37   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
It looks like we will be in lockdown for more than 3 weeks. In this case, at some point, our family will run out of food stocks at home and must order from a local shop or an online grocer.
As much as a threat the Coronavirus is, I have to side with members such as Mr.Narayan and Mr.Turbanator, and say that the remaining 17 days should be spent educating public on a) Social Distancing b) Producing masks or importing masks like 3M's N95 and making that industry come alive as they'll be required for the next couple of months for millions more and c) Making sanitizers and disinfectant sprays, again by the millions of bottles.

Speculations are rife and people seem to be blindly for the 3 month shutdown (not on TBHP, I mean people I know in real.

In this connected society, where we've all created lakhs if not millions of jobs, like in restaurants, car washes, malls, etc we've also become a consumerist economy, the flow of money is vital to the current state of things because at the end of the day, this is the only thing feeding lakhs of people, creating resources and maintaining the society in a relatively free of crime, happy and healthy way.

I personally know hundreds who're really clueless on what will happen next, people have stocked "superfluous" goods in their businesses for the obvious purpose of sales but are lying in limbo, millions and millions of dollars of purchase orders are lying on the tables of people in the industry, with work or payables all in an utter state of mess. These people will be wiped off like in a typhoon if things go even 1 day beyond the balance 17 days. Same with laborers, hotel cooks, hotel servers, hotel managers etc, the food industry is the lifeline of a successful economy and that will get torn to shreds and never be back again.

What that, in turn will affect is food supply chains, the only thing we work for.. capacities will exist, capabilities will exist but the people wont do it anymore as the hotels are bulk of their orders.. just imagine the number of sacks of potatoes and onions and wheat+rice each hotel will buy to feed atleast 200 people a day, now mutiply 200 people into 1000+ hotels and that's just in one city.

The final blow will be transport (the most underrated Gods of society), if they lose people or lose business then the society will come to a grinding halt.. everything will change overnight and crime rates will go up, anarchism and nihilism will mix with fear and paranoia to make perhaps the most helpless society on earth (we aren't trained in agriculture nor have the land for it, and we're accustomed to an interdependent economy). People on television were requesting for pet food but even that'll stop or dry up soon as majority are imported from Thailand, France or Italy.

Already there's a complete shortage/nil availability of Marie biscuits, Maggi, Parle G, etc.. which are India's most popular hunger busters. Cant blame the hoarders either, each family for themselves in such situations. If medicines like simple antibiotics like Augmentin, anti-inflammatory tablets like Crocin, Calpol etc stop, this will spell doom. People are behind each aspect of society, if society falls, people won't be able to work anymore.

I don't see any way where society can go on beyond 17 days, like this, impossible, nada, no. Yes we have a virus to fear on one hand and we should, but things like 3 month lockdown is as good as saying, 3 centuries lockdown. That would be armageddon/cataclysm/doomsday/end of days that people keep worrying about but are now welcoming it in their myopia/blindness.

I say it again, 17 days is a lot of time to absolutely drill social distancing and cleanliness + mask habituation. Do it and kick-start our life again. I hope we're all in agreement with this atleast.
dark.knight is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 16:55   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post

Quite good insights. In the hindisght, I often wonder how much would it have cost governments like ours to use the one month lead time they got to start manufacturing test kits so that rampant testing followed by active isolation of suspects from early days could be done.

We now know beating the temperature screening happening at airports and other points of entry is quite easily fooled.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 16:58   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

I say it again, 17 days is a lot of time to absolutely drill social distancing and cleanliness + mask habituation. Do it and kick-start our life again. I hope we're all in agreement with this atleast.
Social distancing and cleanliness are things which can't be enforced in India even in 17 months let alone 17 days. Yes, on paper what you say is perfect and the ideal situation. But, the reality is that the virus is not going anywhere in 17 days. For the first time in the industrial age the economic needs will be secondary to the populations health. No matter what the economic loss, things can't reopen until we have a handle on this. And if other countries are any example we are far far away from that point.
And even if we do, the economic losses suffered by the West are so great that India will get swamped by the collapse as well. The US has 3.5 million unemployment claims in two weeks my friend. This issue transcends national boundaries. Either we all sink or we all float. There is no middle ground. The West will take years limping back to normal and until then we'll all have to bear the consequences.
Life for the most part will never be the same again until we have a vaccine or a cure.
yd_gli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 16:59   #1416
Senior - BHPian

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200328165451_instagram.jpg

Ratan Tata has pledged 500 CR Rs. Salute and more respect to this wonderful human being.
Mods : Please delete if duplicate.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 18:16   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Thank you. Found this very informative as well! Key takeaways:
1. Use a mask, always!
2. Aerosols spread the virus at a greater distance than just 1 or 2 metres
3. 5-10 deg C and 30 % humidity is ideal for the virus - it can survive for 5-7 days on furniture in this condition

4. We have to be humble (!)
mvadg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 18:33   #1418
BANNED

My wife saw an item. Ms Kapoor has again tested Positive for Covid-19. So all arguments about the report being wrong can be laid to rest. Let us leave it at that. I understand the circle of possible cases has expanded to over 5000 people.

Remember Lucknow was Covid free until she arrived!
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 18:49   #1419
BHPian

Meet the lady behind the development of first Indian Covid-19 testing kit which costs one fourth of imported kits and she did that before delivering her girl child. Minal Dakhave Bhosale

The Coronavirus Thread-minal-dakhave-bhosale.jpg

Source

Quote:
The molecular diagnostic company, says it can supply up to 100,000 Covid-19 testing kits a week and can produce up to 200,000 if needed.

Each Mylab kit can test 100 samples and costs 1,200 rupees ($16; £13) - that's about a quarter of the 4,500 rupees that India pays to import Covid-19 testing kits from abroad.

"Our kit gives the diagnosis in two and a half hours while the imported testing kits take six-seven hours," says virologist Minal Dakhave Bhosale, Mylab's research and development chief.

Ms Bhosale, who headed the team that designed the coronavirus testing kit called Patho Detect, said it was done "in record time" - six weeks instead of three or four months.

And the scientist was battling with her own deadline too. Last week she gave birth to a baby girl - and only began work on the programme in February, just days after leaving hospital with a pregnancy complication.

"If you carry out 10 tests on the same sample, all 10 results should be same," said Ms Bhosale. "And we achieved that. Our kit was perfect."
PraNeel is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 20:27   #1420
BHPian

Best thing since cow piss?

I've been wondering why the cure-all system of Homeopathy has been silent for so long while the Covid-19 menace rages across countries!

Today I drove down to the nearest Frank Ross Pharmacy for some medicines, and there it was, -- proclaimed in prominent posters on the door as well as inside, about a homeopathic wonder drug that

"HELPS TO PREVENT CORONA VIRUS".

and that is

"Recommended by the CCRC Ministry of Ayush" !!!

So what is everybody so worried about still ?!

Sorry, I forget the name of this wonder drug. But it is easy enough to run down to your nearest Frank Ross Pharmacy (having "180+ stores spread across India", and having the same promoters as the prominent AMRI Hospital chain of Kolkata) and see for yourself!

And yes, the Frank Ross Pharmacy is "TRUSTED BY DOCTORS FOR OVER 100 YEARS"!

So what are you waiting for?
meerkat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 20:31   #1421

Received this image from a friend, not sure what the source is, but, it seems like a 49 day lockdown till 13th May is the best solution to control the spread of the virus.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-1585407502568.jpg  

DetonatoR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:19   #1422
Senior - BHPian

I am quite devastated looking at the sea of humanity converging at Anand Vihat Bus adda in Delhi. :(

Who can stop an outbreak in that group? We are sitting on a ticking time bomb. Who knows how many of these people won't carry the virus deep into the hinterland that have been relatively isolated for now? :(
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:25   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetonatoR View Post
Received this image from a friend, not sure what the source is, but, it seems like a 49 day lockdown till 13th May is the best solution to control the spread of the virus.
This is the source
https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.12055

The report
2003.12055.pdf
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:43   #1424
Senior - BHPian

For want of better paraphrasing ability, I am quoting parts of an article published in The Hindu on 26th March 2020, authored by T. Jacob John, Prathap Tharyan of CMC, Vellore. It is titled COVID-19 and the great Chinese puzzle

China does not know, or is not revealing, the magnitude of infection in the country

Quote:
Virus spread in China reportedly stopped by the end of the third week of March, with no new SARS-CoV-2 infections arising locally since then. China is now gearing up to prevent virus transmission from citizens returning from other countries. If only 90,000 were infected among a 1.4 billion population, the proportion was only 0.0065%. Here is the puzzle: for any epidemic, its downturn consequent to high herd immunity requires about 70% infected and immune. Every second person in the community will then be a dead-end for virus spread. What proportion of the Chinese was actually infected? The proportion of 0.0065% is unrealistically low for the visible shift in epidemiology. If 70% were infected, there were 980 million infections. This extraordinary range is the puzzle.
Quote:
By February 2, the infection had already spread to 24 countries outside China-Hong Kong-Macau. Given time this contagious anthroponosis was more than likely to expose the whole world and was already a pandemic by definition. But WHO declared a pandemic only on March 11: 38 precious days were lost. Did WHO get misled by the 0.0065% risk? Countries like India that depend heavily on WHO guidance for public health action had apparently mistaken the non-declaration as a signal that it was short-lived or non-serious. Was not the likelihood of universal spread low if it was not pandemic? On March 12, fear gripped India as it had not done homework to face the pandemic
Quote:
Experts outside China are projecting infection to reach 30-70% of the world’s population in the coming months. Data from China indicate that 80% of the infected are likely to be not very ill, and hence require little or no medical attention. Around 14% would develop severe disease, and around 6% would require critical care. Consider these figures against a total of 90,000 reported infected in all of China and extrapolate to a probable 980 million infected. If countries use these estimates to plan resource demand in terms of hospital beds, personnel, ICU beds, ventilators, equipment and trained personnel, no country in the world can claim to be prepared to meet these requirements. This is why the Chinese puzzle needs exploration.
WHO trusts China (pun unintented): We all trust WHO. What if China has been lying all along?

Last edited by dailydriver : 28th March 2020 at 22:03.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 21:43   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Quite good insights. In the hindisght, I often wonder how much would it have cost governments like ours to use the one month lead time they got to start manufacturing test kits so that rampant testing followed by active isolation of suspects from early days could be done.
Action from Govt and select large industry was already on.
I work on clean air systems, and I did not understand why, but suddenly some Alcohol distilleries were upgrading to pharma grade, and food processors discussing their AHU blowers taking load if hepa filters were used instead of 20 micron food grade.
Today I see the distilleries blending sanatizers and food processors doing other things.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks