Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 13:26   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
There are many companies in Gurgaon that have asked their employees to work from home. Although I see that the big 4 have not yet issued anything on this front. A cousin of mine has travelled from Pune to Indore for work.
As enforced by the administration, my brother and family are working from home now. And my cousin who was at Indore has been asked to stay away from Pune and proceed to home. He is to report back only when the company asks him to do so. But another cousin of mine is stuck in Ireland. I hope he is brought back home soon by our government or stays safely in isolation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
For a doctor you have a weird username
I'm an orthopaedic surgeon, hence the name.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th March 2020 at 13:28.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:41   #917
AZT
BHPian

India must prepare for a tsunami of coronavirus cases - Dr Ramanan Laxminarayan, director of the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics and Policy
"Speaking to the BBC's Rajini Vaidyanthan in Delhi, Dr Laxminarayan said that if the same mathematical models applied in the US or UK were applied to India, the country could be dealing with about 300 million cases"

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...onavirus-cases

Another article I found interesting
India braces for coronavirus spike - https://indianpunchline.com/india-br...navirus-spike/
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:46   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
One more thing that concerns me is why news channels are not disclosing the exact location of newly detected cases, for example, there is one more case detected in Pune, but nobody is telling where in Pune : Eastern side or Western side. Another rumor that came in today morning via our maids that a new case has been detected in our vicinity, so we are not sure if its the one shown on TV or not. I and my family is going to stay indoors anyway for the next few weeks, but we will run out of vegetables soon and I don't want to go anywhere near the infected area to buy stuff.D
While it is good to take precautions, it is not good to become paranoid. An area doesn’t get “infected” just because a person tests positive in the neighbourhood. The virus can transmit up to a few feet from a person’s nose or mouth. It doesn’t magically stay in the area for hours or days afterwards- at least not in open areas. Similarly if the infected person somehow has saliva or mucus on their hands and touches a surface, it could remain infected for a short period- few hours according to most experts. You would have to touch that same area and then touch your mouth and nose to have a chance of infection. The probability of this is miniscule. So wash your hands after each outing, use a sanitiser periodically and avoid touching your face with unclean hands. Apart from this, you can wear a mask to lessen the chances of infection. However there is no danger in walking in the same street, neighbourhood or any area where a patient happened to pass by or is residing. If you happen to be in an enclosed area with a person for an extended period then there is a risk but simply to pass them at a reasonable distance in a street or well ventilated large building should not be a worry.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:00   #919
Senior - BHPian

Looks like lockdown is coming to India as well.

Just learnt from ABP news that Mumbai, Pune, PCMC and Nagpur go be under lockdown till 31st March.

The Coronavirus Thread-img20200320wa0028.jpg
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:08   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Looks like lockdown is coming to India as well.

Just learnt from ABP news that Mumbai, Pune, PCMC and Nagpur go be under lockdown till 31st March.

Attachment 1981772
No such news elsewhere. Must be an photoshopped whatsapp forward photo.
Old 20th March 2020, 14:09   #921
BHPian

Sorry if my question sounds really stupid, but what all does "lockdown" exactly mean ?? I am just asking this for the sake of my own clarification. I have not given much attention to this aspect.

Does it mean I cannot get out of a city when its in a lockdown ?? For example, if there is a lockdown in Mumbai, does that mean I cannot drive to Pune ?? Will my vehicle be stopped at the exit of Mumbai metropolis and asked to go back ??
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:12   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
No such news elsewhere. Must be an photoshopped whatsapp forward photo.

No Sir. Please see below link

https://www.abplive.com/news/india/c...letely-1329844

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Sorry if my question sounds really stupid, but what all does "lockdown" exactly mean ?? I am just asking this for the sake of my own clarification. I have not given much attention to this aspect.

Does it mean I cannot get out of a city when its in a lockdown ?? For example, if there is a lockdown in Mumbai, does that mean I cannot drive to Pune ?? Will my vehicle be stopped at the exit of Mumbai metropolis and asked to go back ??
It is unclear.

As of now it looks like this means all shops and offices are closed. Essential services like Bank, medical stores will remain open.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:22   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

It is unclear.

As of now it looks like this means all shops and offices are closed. Essential services like Bank, medical stores will remain open.
It will also additionally mean that there will be a curfew. Everyone indoors, you will be allowed outside only if you have a valid reason, I.e a medical shop visit and the likes. And of course absolutely no public gatherings of any sort.

I think this should be applied to all tier 1 metros right away for until end of March.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:46   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

A question on Mumbai lockdown: any news if the stock markets will be closed down?
Old 20th March 2020, 15:05   #925
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some of the essential services that will be excluded from the shut down are providing drinking water, banking services, telephone and internet services, railway and transportation services, food, vegetables and groceries, Hospitals, medical centres and medical stores and electricity
Source

Same is being reported on most other news agencies' live update threads.
Old 20th March 2020, 15:18   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Now this is highly irresponsible if true. Apparently she hid in a WC at Lucknow airport and then skipped the check. Later she threw a party for 100 people at a 5 Star hotel in Lucknow.

The Coronavirus Thread-img20200320wa0028.jpg

Now she has been tested positive for COVID19 and her statement.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200320151416.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:18   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
How does this help when the asymptomatic stage is around 10-20 days? One may be infected, passing on infection being asymptomatic; would be impossible to mark such cases as positive on arrival.
Cannot test everyone on arrival since they would need test kits when it is absolutely necessary. Not every country has test kits for its entire population. People need to stay inside house and quarantine themselves. But they are not doing that. They are partying, attending marriages, going to home town and on tours and putting everyone at risk. People need to act wisely, else need stricter measures like jail term for those who are breaking quarantine.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:23   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Now this is highly irresponsible if true. Apparently she hid in a WC at Lucknow airport and then skipped the check. Later she threw a party for 100 people at a 5 Star hotel in Lucknow
If true, she can be charged under Epidemics Diseases Act, same as how the wife and FIL of the google techie were charged for escaping quarantine.
WindRide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:28   #929
Senior - BHPian

I think the govt is nervous and hoping things will not go out control. They are just pushing time until then.

I see lot of things from other countries trying to increase manufacturing of masks, medical items, ventilators. I dont hear that except shops being raided for selling at higher price. Even Shane Warne has stopped distilling Gin and is producing hand sanitizer. We have placed order with WHO for a million masks :(

Just ranting...
Basic needs of health and education were not attended to and we did all show off stuff like non-alignment, nuclear bombs etc since Independence. When you were capable and didn't do something, it shows the character of people at helm. I hope nothing grave happens since the lower sections of people will suffer.

Look at China's capacity as mentioned in their newspaper

Meanwhile, as factories gradually resume, the daily output of protective suits in China surged to 500,000, N95 masks to 1.6 million and surgical masks to 100 million, Wang Jiangping, vice minister of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, said earlier.

A report that BYD Auto sent to the Global Times suggested that the number of masks produced by the Chinese carmaker is increasing by 300,000 to 500,000 pieces per day. Now, the company has the capacity to make 5 million masks a day, which is equivalent to one-quarter of the previous national capacity, becoming the world's largest mask maker.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2020 at 22:20. Reason: Sensitive words edited
srishiva is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:40   #930
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile I did not know, apparently WHO is on Whatsapp. One needs to send them a hi to get status updates. Quite a nice touch I would say.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks