0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2007, 09:10   #226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
hey no warning/comment to my fellow senior ..about why the thread is merged.
Thread is merged because you rightly pointed that out. Why there should be any warning? Thread starter will get to know via pm.
Old 24th March 2007, 09:23   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Thread is merged because you rightly pointed that out. Why there should be any warning? Thread starter will get to know via pm.

Quote:
Threads merged

Keep WC discussions to this thread only
I see these comments almost every time when ...

Quote:
Why there should be any warning?
.. because every one is warned on the forum itself. Moreover, more for mods becuase they have to set standards and not violate ...
equality for all .. am I asking too much.
Old 24th March 2007, 09:40   #228
BHPian

looking at last night's performance, i am led to believe that team India is a group of professional models who play 'part time cricket'. Dravid had shed a few crocodile tears. so this makes him a part time actor too. well done. if they land in time, they can cat walk for the fashion week that's on. otherwise, there are a few more shows coming up.
Old 24th March 2007, 09:51   #229
BHPian

an estimate about what was at stake for advertisers.

The finals before the finals
Old 24th March 2007, 10:31   #230
Senior - BHPian

Well it was just a game but then its natural for fans to be disappointed and pissed of about the whole thing. In our country the cricketeers are not looked upon as players but Gods. The time has come now for a major revamp. A chance should be given to youngsters now. They ay loose initially but thats ok , sooner or later they'll turn into fine players. Its better to see yougsters with no experience loose than to see the so called Gods go down like this.

Its also time more money is invested in other sports . Good players loose out due to lack of funds. Lets give badminton, tennis and motorsports a chance.

About me , i saw Woody Woodpecker, saw Tendu get bowled and went to sleep

Why is Sepang two weeks away ??
Old 24th March 2007, 10:36   #231
BHPian

They must be having a back up plan ready for 2011 WC to be held in Ind,Pak,SL,Ban. BCCI will again open their wallets to hire someone at mammoth price to coach of cricketers.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:46   #232
Team-BHP Support

In a country of more than a billion, with unlimited amounts of funding available, and we still end up with a team of raggedy players playing like they would play in their gulley at home. No, wait, in gulley cricket, if you don't perform, nobody choses you for their team! I guess that's the difference between playing for India and playing in your building. When you play for India, performance doesn't count.

BTW, I read in the papers that the highest scoring Indian cricketer in the world cup will get a diamond encrusted ball worth more than 10 lakhs. No wonder everyone dreams of playing cricket for India, because no matter what happens or how miserably they perform, they get lakhs and lakhs of cash/rewards thrown at them.

Heck, lets not waste time over this. Who's taking the Cup this year?? Looks like it's heading to a showdown between Australia and South Africa maybe?

Last edited by Rtech : 24th March 2007 at 10:54.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:59   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
In a country of more than a billion, with unlimited amounts of funding available, and we still end up with a team of raggedy players playing like they would play in their gulley at home. No, wait, in gulley cricket, if you don't perform, nobody choses you for their team! I guess that's the difference between playing for India and playing in your building. When you play for India, performance doesn't count.

BTW, I read in the papers that the highest scoring Indian cricketer in the world cup will get a diamond encrusted ball worth more than 10 lakhs. No wonder everyone dreams of playing cricket for India, because no matter what happens or how miserably they perform, they get lakhs and lakhs of cash/rewards thrown at them.

Heck, lets not waste time over this. Who's taking the Cup this year?? Looks like it's heading to a showdown between Australia and South Africa maybe?
It should be SA if not India ..
Old 24th March 2007, 11:07   #234
BANNED

How many of you think Greg Chappel is scared for his life? I think he is wetting his pants now.
Old 24th March 2007, 11:15   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
How many of you think Greg Chappel is scared for his life? I think he is wetting his pants now.
I would not second that. Its too early to say but death threat to Greg should not be compared with Bob's death.
Old 24th March 2007, 11:45   #236
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, so much for our forum experts & the "conspiracy" theory! Simply outplayed again. Only positives to come out of this (hopefully hoping against hope) - Greg quits or gets bumped off, Dravid garlanded with slippers back home.
We have been assuming that the bookies would also want what the sponsors and BCCI/ICC would want -- i.e., for India to go to the next round. But what if they wanted India to lose out in the first round? I would agree, though, that in that case they needed to fix only the Bangladesh game. We would lose to Sri Lanka anyway, without any need for fixing.

Dravid has saved India on innumerable occasions, much more so than even Tendulkar. Let us not be harsh on him. It is only in the last couple of series or so that the burden of captaincy has begun to affect his batting. We need to look at our ridiculous selection policies, with regionalism and "seniority" taking precedence over merit. What is Uthappa doing in the team at the expense of a player like Kaif? Technically, Uthappa cannot handle the pace except on the feather-beds in the subcontinent. Kaif could have opened the batting instead of Uthappa and would have done much better. And it is time to drop some weary seniors who are almost playing from memory now. Go for promising youngsters and back them, instead of dropping them every second game.

As for Greg Chappell, I sympathize with him. His policies were sound, but the selectors did not back him. I think neither Pakistan nor India can tolerate the no-nonsense merit-only attitude that quality coaches like Woolmer and Chappell would want. We need the wheeler-dealers and manipulators to be at the helm, who would turn a blind eye to the "goings-on" in our selection policies and the tantrums of our seniors.
Old 24th March 2007, 12:29   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Why not throw out sachin as well; somebody remind me when this guy won a match for us last. He is a burden on team and should be get rid of.

\N

I guess it's the expectations that we have on Sachin leads to such frurstrations. Its the problem of the public not of Sachin. As Navadeep pointed out rightly, dont expect Sachin to blast the opponent all over the ground as he did before. Let Sachin stay in the team till someone fills his place.

Do you know:

In the last one year Sachin has got the best average in one day cricket than Dravid, Sewag, Dhoni or even Yuvraj. Could you believe that? As I said before, its the huge expectations thats covers up everthing.

Having said that its a complete disappointment that he got out before he could middle out few *****. There is nothing in the wicket during second half & its the pressure that Indians had put to themselves has let them down. For god sake remove Dravid from captaincy & let him concentrate on his batting.
Old 24th March 2007, 13:33   #238
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, so much for our forum experts & the "conspiracy" theory!
As I said earlier, there was no need for any fixing if we were to lose. But still, it looks like the senior Sri Lankan players tried their best to help us:

Jayasuriya -- 6 (23)
Jayawardene --7 (20)
Sangakkara ---15 (35)

Seldom do we see Jayasuriya start like that, especially against India; the man normally would have crossed 30 runs by then. It is usually the seniors who are roped in by the "fixers", since they have already made their millions and do not have much to lose. Even Tharanga -- 64 (90) scored fairly slowly. Of course, I don't mean to imply that there was any "fixing" going on -- it is virtually impossible to prove. But these guys ensured that Sri Lanka did not run away to a 300+ total. The younger Sri Lankans and the old warrior Chaminda Vaas helped Sri Lanka to a decent total of 254. It was gettable, but our batsmen were not good enough and the Sri Lankan bowling was way too strong.
Old 24th March 2007, 14:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I guess it's the expectations that we have on Sachin leads to such frurstrations.
I agree to an extent.

Quote:
Its the problem of the public not of Sachin. As Navadeep pointed out rightly, dont expect Sachin to blast the opponent all over the ground as he did before.
So now if we have expectations from a player and he fails , we can't criticize ? Just keep mum even if the player is THE SO CALLED BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD and never performs when required ?

Quote:
Let Sachin stay in the team till someone fills his place.
And block one place in the side so that a deserving younger guy misses out till the 2011 world cup ? No please, I say let him gracefully retire ONLY FROM ONE DAY CRICKET. There are fitter , better guys in the wings.

Quote:
Do you know:

In the last one year Sachin has got the best average in one day cricket than Dravid, Sewag, Dhoni or even Yuvraj. Could you believe that? As I said before, its the huge expectations thats covers up everthing.
Do you remember any match after the IND-PAK WC2003 match that Sachin won for us ? I don't , I might have amnesia too. Please help. Guess he plays for records NOW.

Quote:
Having said that its a complete disappointment that he got out before he could middle out few *****. There is nothing in the wicket during second half & its the pressure that Indians had put to themselves has let them down. For god sake remove Dravid from captaincy & let him concentrate on his batting.
I say let the seniors play only TEST CRICKET. One day matches are games for the fitter and faster players. If these seniors do not leave , for Gods sake DROP THEM.

AND PLEASE ISSUE CONTRACTS BASED ON PERFORMANCES ASAP

All along for 2 years Greg Chappell advocated the YOUNGSTERS POLICY and just before the WC, Dilip Vengsarkar gets in all seniors.

2 mistakes that cost us dear.

1) Prefering Harbhajan over Ramesh Powar.
2) Letting Sehwag open in Bangladesh match. This point could be debated.

@Khaadu - saw your message in the morning, I slept at the fall of the 2nd wicket. Had a sound sleep.
Old 24th March 2007, 15:02   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I say let the seniors play only TEST CRICKET. One day matches are games for the fitter and faster players. If these seniors do not leave , for Gods sake DROP THEM.
I second that.

Now that we have crashed out of the World Cup (well almost), its time to sit down and analyse. I just read a Chappell interview where he went on about not being 'good enough'.

Cricinfo - It wasn't good enough - Chappell

That for me sums it up. Major cricketing tournaments are won by the best fielding sides. Let us be clear about that. Are we going to 'hide' 4-5 of our senior players forever on the field?!

Secondly, we need to start playing as a team, rather than relying on 'key' players as Dravid puts it. As I see it, there is no place in our ODI team for players who give away runs on the field.

Other sides are good fielding units because they work on it, just like they do on their batting and bowling. We still do it as an after thought. Look at Munaf for example. He doesnt even give the impression that he is trying!!

It is time to start afresh in ODIs. Pick a young squad and for Gods sake, be patient with them. Performance should be the only criteria, be it fielding/keeping, bowling and batting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks