Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 07:43   #286
BANNED

re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hence the reason for buying packaged water in such eateries.
He is talking about fine dining restaurants. Why would you think they serve contaminated water there?
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:22   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
He is talking about fine dining restaurants. Why would you think they serve contaminated water there?
True they wouldn't or rather shouldn't. But given the strictness with which we follow the health guidelines and rules in our country what if by the remotest chance some lousy worker there decided to cut down on his work and just fill it with regular tap water. But still would agree that fine dining restaurants shouldn't be a problem. Its more of a psychological thing sometimes.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:54   #288
BANNED

Quote:
True they wouldn't or rather shouldn't. But given the strictness with which we follow the health guidelines and rules in our country what if by the remotest chance some lousy worker there decided to cut down on his work and just fill it with regular tap water.
What if a lousy worker contaminates the food post cooking? At some point you just have to stop eating out to protect yourself.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:33   #289
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
This is not directed to you in particular - but in general.

Why should anyone wash fruits and vegetables with Filtered water, where does this paranoia end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Knowing that it would only take a thousand for my peace of mind, I started reading up on the inexpensive devices like the Swach and Pureit. 6K for a fruit and vegetable washer is an overkill.
There are 2 separate questions
1. Is there any benefit in using filtered water for washing fruits veggies?
Maybe not.
2. Is there benefit in using product like kent ozone fruit/veg washer?
It is good - IF THEIR CLAIMS ARE TRUE. In my opinion, It is not about microbes. They say that ozone treatment also removes Pesticides and chemical contaminants. We all know that in India there is over use of pesticides in agriculture. And many dangerous pesticides banned in other countries are legally available here. In this case I think it is wise to be a little careful. I dont use this kent ozone stuff because I dont know how valid their claim is-about removal of pesticides/chemicals.

Quote:
Having read up on the products, the websites mention killing x number of bacteria and viruses. Some technology involved (introduction of nano-silvers, so they say). Nothing like UV, but better than just regular filtered water.
When I said filtered water,dont confuse it with regular filters which only removes large particles like sand. There are many types of advanced filtration techniques like micro filtration, nano filtration, activated carbon or silver - which are used in these low cost purifiers. All these differ in effectiveness in killing microbes and removing contaminants. But they give you decent level of purification. you can get some comparison on different methods in the CDC website link I mentioned few posts back.

Quote:
The water they use for cooking will still suffice because during the process of cooking most Indian food, any bacteria will crease to exist in the food. Whereas if you happen to drink the same contaminated water, it will make you sick in no time. Hence the reason for buying packaged water in such eateries.
Quote:
You've stolen my words carboy. I too have the same opinion, especially when it comes to buying bottled water at fine dining restaurants. If I relish their food which was made with the same 'regular' water, why should I purchase an overpriced bottle of mineral water?

The situation at home is not the same though. Using the example of fruits and vegetables led you to take a narrow point of view. There's loads of other things we use tap water for. Take a simple example, whilst preparing a packet of instant noodles or cooking oats, we use the regular tap water. Rationale being we're going to be boiling the water. But somehow yesterday, I wasnt convinced with this.
To kill germs only boiling water is enough, agreed. But what about dissolved contaminants and impurities. Just an example, a recent study on underground water (published in TOI) - which obviously is used in homes via borewell - in Bangalore found that the nitrates levels are above 550 mg/litre (permissible level is 45mg/litre). The report also had figures for other minerals which were much more than permissible limits, I dont remember the exact figures now. On world water day, there were reports on potable water situation across the country, and the results were disappointing. If you stay near industrial areas, and there are factories which flout waste disposal norms , the chemicals may find their way to your drinking water. If you stay in areas with large agricultural lands, the pesticides may find their way to your water source, due to overuse of pesticides in majority of farms. These chemicals also flow into rivers which are used to supply drinking water to the cities after large scale purification. How good this purification is I am not sure. It is rare but you do read reports of sewage water getting mixed with drinking water due to bad maintainance of pipelines by authorities.
Remember that the chemicals have a cumulative effect, results of which might show up after a very long time, unlike microbial infection which takes effect in short time.
So, at least a cheap decently effective purifier which can remove impurities/contaminants is advisable, for drinking and cooking purposes.
It is not being paranoid, but being logical
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:57   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What if a lousy worker contaminates the food post cooking? At some point you just have to stop eating out to protect yourself.
Agreed. But then as you said one has to draw a line at some point. The point may vary with every individual. Some actually do not eat any outside food and are very healthy. On the other hand some eat food and drink water from the dirtiest road side vendor and still say very healthy. For me, I prefer atleast narrrowing down my risk with using bottled water whenever out of my house.
Old 4th August 2013, 00:51   #291
Senior - BHPian

Have taken the plunge and ordered the Kent Pearl RO form HOmeshop18. Received a call the very next day from a Homeshop18 guy who claimed he is my RM for this transaction and he will be in touch with me all through the buying process. I received a call from the Delhi office of Kent to confirm my address. and committed on a date of delivery. Lets see!!
Old 9th August 2013, 04:00   #292
BHPian

Need a RO based as the UV has conked after 10+ yrs of service. Budget 15K.

Thoroughly confused between PureIT, ZeroB and Eureka Forbes - any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Old 9th August 2013, 05:30   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

Thoroughly confused between PureIT, ZeroB and Eureka Forbes - any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Buy what ever, but never ever go near a eureka forbes.
Old 9th August 2013, 16:47   #294
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Gents ,

Kindly suggest me a RO for my home in Himachal. water coming from regular supply is treated and is good for drinking ( typical govt supply) . Off lately dissolved impurities are worrying me mainly during monsoons. So need a Filter which purifies dissolved impurities.

I am looking at a brand with excellent service. was using Pure it but getting their Battery every 2 month is a pain and costs 600 bucks.
Old 11th August 2013, 22:46   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Gents ,

Kindly suggest me a RO for my home in Himachal. water coming from regular supply is treated and is good for drinking ( typical govt supply) . Off lately dissolved impurities are worrying me mainly during monsoons. So need a Filter which purifies dissolved impurities.

I am looking at a brand with excellent service. was using Pure it but getting their Battery every 2 month is a pain and costs 600 bucks.

I'd go with Kent UV + RO purifier. It'd cost you about 15k, but the service is good, the taste of the water after the purification process is to be tasted to be understood. It takes care of all the dissolved impurities as well, and improves the taste greatly. I'm planning to get one myself - using an Aquaguard for the last 20 years - changed 3 models in the interim. But now, I feel its time for something better, coz the quality of water isnt gonna get any better - it'll worsen as time goes by. Hope this helps you guys ! Cheers !!
Old 12th August 2013, 02:59   #296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Gents ,

Why don't you test the water in the house to see if you really need a RO system. If the water is good for drinking, then there may be a decent chance that a UV filter may be good for you. You need a RO only if you have dissolved solids > 60-80 ppm.
Old 12th August 2013, 10:07   #297
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Why don't you test the water in the house to see if you really need a RO system. If the water is good for drinking, then there may be a decent chance that a UV filter may be good for you. You need a RO only if you have dissolved solids > 60-80 ppm.
Agree with your point since water here is already soft. we never has any problems so far but What worried this mansoons is that first time mom has a stomach infection.

any ideas how can we test water ..
Old 13th August 2013, 14:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
How has the experience been so far? There are a variety of other water purifiers at some attractive prices. They are all present on fabmart. http://www.fabmart.com/search?page=1...r&type=product
It's been all pleasent all along.
Need to call for Checkup/Free service.

Last time I checked the TDS , it was showing 50.
Is 50 good or should it be increased ?
I have a just born baby(20 days) at home, We may start giving water after 6-7 months.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:16   #299
Senior - BHPian

My Kent RO pearl has been installed and running for the past week. Good so far. The water tastes sweet and I am able to fill in a full tank of 8 litres in about 45 minutes. Good bye to the bubble tops for now. Great experience purchasing from homeshop18. Will recommend them.
Old 29th August 2013, 21:28   #300
BHPian

I am a complete newbie to the water purifier discussion. What would be the best one kent/tata swach/ pure it???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks