Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 11:32   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The apartment has high levels of TDS. Neighbours were losing their filters quickly and maintenance was reportedly high. so we took DrinkPrime subscription. Its all App based. They maintain the machine and I pay around 300 odd bucks a month. TDS was at 650, now under 60. Water taste is good
Been using for about 3 years now...its a good set up and best of all, absolutely no issues about being cheated during a service
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:04   #1037

So the general input I got was this..

Ground salts & minerals are necessary for our body.. hence distill water / RO is not good as it removes everything.

But at the same time.. if our incoming water is messed up with certain pollutants.. then without RO, thats also coming in.

Kinda of a double whammy..

Did any product figure out a way around this? RO / Distill it but add some essential minerals via soil?
Old 18th August 2021, 12:31   #1038
BHPian

We get Kaveri water in Bangalore and wanted to use a non-RO filter after our aqua guard classic stopped working after 5+ years.

It was very difficult to find a non-RO filter which satisfies our other requirements as in addition to losing minerals, wife is bent on not wasting water and the filters with copper had a taste we didn't like (same with RO, do not like the taste).

Finally ended up buying aqua guard Neo from Croma and happy in our limited use. Including one year extended warranty it came to just around 10k. If the TDS in your water is around 200-300, you can just go for a UV filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post

Ground salts & minerals are necessary for our body.. hence distill water / RO is not good as it removes everything.

But at the same time.. if our incoming water is messed up with certain pollutants.. then without RO, thats also coming in.

Kinda of a double whammy..

Did any product figure out a way around this? RO / Distill it but add some essential minerals via soil?
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 12:15   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Like everything in life, getting potable water without any pollutants or bacteria is not simple.

The preferred method is to first get rid of every thing and then add beneficial chemicals. So treat the water - filter + RO + UV to get potable water. Then you can add beneficial salts/minerals to it. There are a lot of inline dispensers available for this purpose.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 10:50   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Need advice from fellow Bhpians :

I am in market looking to buy RO Water purifier. I want to buy one that comes with Alkaline Filter and also Mineral Filter.

The problem is of all the purifiers I have looked at they either have a Mineral Filter or a Alkaline Filter, but none of the purifiers from reputed companies them comes with both the filters. Am I missing something? Do the Alkaline filter also does the job of Mineralizing water?

Thanks.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:34   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post

Middle ground is to get a RO purifier with TDS adjustment and installation/maintenance technician to fix the TDS of the output water to around 150. They have the tendency to fix it about 50(this level causes more minerals and water wastage too).
Old 4th October 2021, 09:26   #1042
BHPian

Gentleman, our 5 years old AquaYash water purifier is about to be replaced. It's cartridges are failing a lot recently and it doesn't make any sense to replace cartridges every 6 month. The thing is I'm confused which one to go for, RO and UV or only RO. If I buy it online, how does the installation works ? Do I have to install it myself or company technician will do the installation ? My budget is 10k to 12k ₹, don't want to spend more than that. Thanks in advance !
Old 4th October 2021, 10:23   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Gentleman, our 5 years old AquaYash water purifier is about to be replaced. It's cartridges are failing a lot recently and it doesn't make any sense to replace cartridges every 6 month. The thing is I'm confused which one to go for, RO and UV or only RO. If I buy it online, how does the installation works ? Do I have to install it myself or company technician will do the installation ? My budget is 10k to 12k ₹, don't want to spend more than that. Thanks in advance !
Please check your water for suspended particles. Frequent failure of filter cartridges are mainly due to clogging. So a better solution is to have a pre-filter to your water purifier, rather than buying a new filter.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:15   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'Cartridges are failing'. Can you please explain. Are they clogging too frequently or they are punctured allowing dirty water through? Clogging isn't cartridge failure. That is what it is suppose to do. Please check your inlet water for suspended particles. You will need a pre filter.
If water is going through, it could be high inlet pressure or poor quality filter elements.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:59   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's cartridges are failing a lot recently and it doesn't make any sense to replace cartridges every 6 month
Cost of even Eureka Forbes filters (all 4 - Chemi, Clarity, RO & Copper) are not more than 3.5K; so even if you replace twice a year, your expenses is 7K a year; pls don't spend 12K on a new one!!

Cartridges are failing because of few reasons I can think off...
1. Inferior quality of RO filter
2. Water has TDS over 1500 PPM & RO filter isn't cleaned every 45 days or so
3. The RO filter has reached its end of life
4. Motor is losing the pressure

Quote:
The thing is I'm confused which one to go for, RO and UV or only RO
Very simple; check your present water TDS using a TDS meter; if it's more than 200 ppm (ideally 100, but still ok), then RO is must, must, must!! UV is required when TDS is less than 150 & you want a bacteria & most virus free water

Quote:
If I buy it online, how does the installation works ? Do I have to install it myself or company technician will do the installation ?
Kent, Eureka Forbes etc. have customer support number; register your product & ask for installation. Or, there should be some local water purifier resellers in your city, who can get it done

Quote:
My budget is 10k to 12k ₹, don't want to spend more than that. Thanks in advance !
Boss, pls don't spend so much; if you were in Chennai (or I in Pune), I would've worked out the most economically for you!! unfortunately...it isn't. Let's see how far this remote support goes.

Last but not the least, if you can find a water purifier technician in your locality, your ordeal gets over in less than 5K even if all filters are changed including service charges

Last edited by aargee : 8th October 2021 at 19:02.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:18   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
'Cartridges are failing'. Can you please explain. Are they clogging too frequently or they are punctured allowing dirty water through? Clogging isn't cartridge failure. That is what it is suppose to do. Please check your inlet water for suspended particles. You will need a pre filter.
If water is going through, it could be high inlet pressure or poor quality filter elements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Boss, pls don't spend so much; if you were in Chennai (or I in Pune), I would've worked out the most economically for you!! unfortunately...it isn't. Let's see how far this remote support goes.

Last but not the least, if you can find a water purifier technician in your locality, your ordeal gets over in less than 5K even if all filters are changed including service charges

Gentlemen thank you very much for your advice and saving my money
I contacted Kent Purifier technician and he changed RO filter, post carbon filter and cleaned the whole purifier.
All for 2500 ₹ TDS before changing cartridges was 160 and now it is 46 ! Again, thank you guys !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 09:18   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Our Philips water purifier packed up. It is beyond repair. Worked for 6 years so can't really complain.

Whats the word on this Blue Star water purifier. Any good or junk? Need only UV. Would prefer something compact, that can be wall mounted and will allow one to service (filter replacements) the unit themselves.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st December 2021 at 09:19.
Old 31st January 2022, 19:00   #1048
BHPian

Guys I need some advice on how to stop water leakage from the pre - filter in our RO purifier. I replaced the pre filter cartridge and also put in a new water inlet pipe. I checked the O ring, it looks fine, no damage on it. I am not able to stop the water leakage from the pre filter. Is there any proper way to attach the inlet (from tap) pipe and out let pipe (from pre filter to the RO purifier) ? Should I keep the purifier ON or off ? TIA !
Old 31st January 2022, 20:47   #1049
BHPian

Have used Eureka Forbes, Kent & one others over 15 yrs time frame and can confidently say BWSSB's water points in Blr beats the hell out of these expensive RO devices. Apart from the unit cost, annual spares came up to INR 6k at the least. BWSSB charges INR 5 per 20L and that's a knock out punch. TDS is near 80.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 22:02   #1050
BHPian

I got the TDS of supply water checked at a RO shop. It was 173. I had carried the water in a bottle and could see some black particles as well, he said these will be removed by pre filter and asked to get an RO. Water tastes fine. The water was tested almost 50 hours after being filled in the bottle- does it make a difference?
With such low TDS, is it wise to get an RO? Is there a simpler, inexpensive alternative which will also contain water wastage? Location- Ranchi, jharkhand
Please suggest
OT- Doulton came up in google search. Looks nice. Please let know if anyone has used this. https://doulton.in/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks