Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 17:12   #1021
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Recently, we got rid of the RO stage in our water filter. It still has 4 filter stages like, the prefilter, sedimentation fllter, UV filter etc except the RO stage. TDS is around 200-250 now. Still getting used to the taste, but no issues of throat infection to anyone so far due to change in water quality.

But one thing we are noticing is that the vessels used for boiling water have some sort of residue left behind - whitish/greyish spots in water kettle, bottom of pressure cooker becomes darker. Is this expected or is it a concern ?
It is normal and there is no problem from it, just wash the utensils. In fact, the water you are drinking now (ie. 200-250tds) is better for the body (than 30-40 tds water) as it has dissolved minerals.
For a long time, we used to live in a township and my mother used to boil water for drinking purposes. You should have seen the bowl she used, it used to collect 3-4mm of scales from the deposited minerals over a period 2-3 months. But, so far none of my parents or anyone in my family have had any problem from such water. So, I guess it shall be okay.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 12:15   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Drinking quality water need to be devoid of bacteria and viruses which are tested as Coliforms in water. These can't be totally filtered except by RO system.

IS:10500 clearly states that No Coliform shall be detected in drinking water. Here is the standard for reference.

http://cgwb.gov.in/Documents/WQ-standards.pdf

Please go through the standard carefully. This will clear lot of confusions like Potable water and drinking water.
Thank you for sharing the standard. RO does filter viruses and bacteria, but is also wasteful and is not the only means to achieve safe drinking water. If the TDS values are low, as in Mumbai, and there is no arsenic or lead, its perfectly fine to use a UV filter as well to ensure water safe from coliform.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 18:52   #1023
BHPian

We live in the Cantonment in Secunderabad. The earlier occupant of the house had installed a Pureit Classic RO + UV water purifier. Recently, the unit stopped functioning. The technician who visited stated that the motor had conked out and needed to be replaced. Estimated cost INR 5,000.00. Basically, he was pushing for buying a new purifier.

I strongly believe that the filters need to be replaced, which will cost around INR 8,000.00. We are confused whether to repair/replace filters or go in for a new purifier.

Whilst we are inclined to buy a new purifier, we are not sure whether we require RO in Secunderabad where the water is supplied by the municipal corporation.

Would appreciate if anyone form this city could share their experience whether an RO is justified. Also any suggestions regarding brands will be welcome
Old 16th March 2021, 12:31   #1024
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the advice, guys! We had a technician visit our place and recommend some Aqua Guard models. Eventually went for Aqua Guard's Royale. Installation will be happening very soon.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 20:02   #1025
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good decision. Some tips for use (bear with me as am repeating).
1. Switch on the unit, fill the tank and switch off.
2. Keep extracting water as and when needed in air tight containers.
3. When the tank is near empty, go to Step-1 and repeat.

Remember, RO endures longer with minimum start-stops.
Don't leave it ON...
RajaTaurus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 20:11   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Looking for an undercounter ro water purifier. What are the best options?
Old 17th March 2021, 00:32   #1027
BHPian

After 15 days of research, confusion and pondering over the different choices and extending my budget, finally went for the below purifier. I hope my doubts over LG's service go unfounded and they provide a good service.

http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/lg-ww140np...oduct.share.pp
Old 9th April 2021, 17:23   #1028
BHPian

Guys, my new flat is near riverbed so groundwater is abundant. Builder has provided two taps in kitchen one come from water softener to be used for general purpose washing. Other tap is coming from RO plant to be used for drinking water.

But I didn't like the taste of RO water. Also tea made from it has a weird taste. Fortunately builder has given provision for the tap for RO machine.

Hence please suggest the best RO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th April 2021 at 23:41. Reason: Typos
Old 4th May 2021, 22:07   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What are the best options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Hence please suggest the best RO.
Hello guys, if you haven't already bought an RO machine, take a look at the Eureka Forbes Aquaguard Reviva NXT model. You don't need the UV or MTDS models as they are gimmicks. Also, it is better to boil the water after the RO process to kill microbes. TDS of these machines may vary from 70-125 w.r.t water source from borewell or pipeline assuming TDS of >500. FYI, TDS of packaged water cans are as low as 35, which is considered unhealthy.

Sadly, the RO water to wastage ratio is 1:1 I'd suggest you to possibly use the water for washing dirty surfaces or use for toilet flushing purpose.

And as for customer support, Eureka Forbes have been quick to respond towards issues, warranty. They have been in this field for a long time now and have a wide network.

And regardless of whatever machine you may buy, I'd recommend to follow the below tips,

-While installing the machine take care to not bend the water inlet and outlet pipes excessively. This can create pressure and lead to motor failure due to irregular water flow.

-During the installation test run , keep an eye out on the all the plastic filters/cannisters for any leaks. The technicians usually handle them rough, resulting in minor cracks. Insist a machine replacement if the filters leak.

-Turn ON the machine, and once it fills up, switch it OFF. This is to ensure long life of motor and filters.

-A free service in 6 months (Citric Acid cleaning) is recommended only if the water source is extremely polluted. Otherwise you may skip this.

-Replace the filters if you notice change in the taste of water or if you see floating sediments in water.
Rodo_Faita is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:32   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo_Faita View Post
Hello guys, if you haven't already bought an RO machine, take a look at the Eureka Forbes Aquaguard Reviva NXT model. You don't need the UV or MTDS models as they are gimmicks. Also, it is better to boil the water after the RO process to kill microbes. TDS of these machines may vary from 70-125 w.r.t water source from borewell or pipeline assuming TDS of >500. FYI, TDS of packaged water cans are as low as 35, which is considered unhealthy.
I am looking for an under counter model where the purifier can be hidden and all you see is an extra spout in the sink. I already have a wall mounted aquaguard ro but these look ugly and I hate the ugly mess of pipes.

Price isn't a concern. Aesthetics definitely are important.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 6th May 2021 at 20:34.
Old 6th May 2021, 21:08   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I am looking for an under counter model where the purifier can be hidden and all you see is an extra spout in the sink. I already have a wall mounted aquaguard ro but these look ugly and I hate the ugly mess of pipes.

Price isn't a concern. Aesthetics definitely are important.
We’ve been using the Zero B Kitchenmate RO model from last 8 years without any issues. Recently picked up another one for another flat. Only the spout is visible at the side of the sink.

Service in Bangalore is also decent. The recent models apparently have far less water wastage. If you need any more details please PM will be glad to help you out.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 11:10   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
We’ve been using the Zero B Kitchenmate RO model from last 8 years without any issues. Recently picked up another one for another flat. Only the spout is visible at the side of the sink.

Service in Bangalore is also decent. The recent models apparently have far less water wastage. If you need any more details please PM will be glad to help you out.
Could you please ping me the details of where you bought it from and for how much via DM? Much appreciated.
Old 17th August 2021, 11:42   #1033

Hello friends,

I am looking to purchase a water purifier that would be suitable for the TDS of around 200 PPM. A UV + UF water purifier is generally suggested when TDS value of water is lower than the acceptable parameters. But I have a few questions:

1. Is TDS value the only criteria for choosing a water purification system?
(I don't have any idea about the constituents of this TDS value)

2. In such scenario, a nanofiltration membrane might be useful. Are nanofilters capable of filtering out heavy metals in water, if any?

If yes, then kindly suggest me some models from reputed brands which provide water purifiers with nanofiltration.

3. Many RO water purifiers have the option of manually adjusting TDS value. A RO + UV water purifier with this option might be useful. Kindly share your thoughts.

4. The Ph value of water and lack of minerals is another thing which I am confused about. Are there any short term or long term side effects on health? Mineral cartridges are available these days. Are they useful?

5. Which option would be better:
UV + UF
Or
RO + UV + Manually adjuatable TDS
Or
RO + Mineral Cartridge
Or
RO + UV + Manually adjustable TDS + Mineral Cartridge?

6. I am interested in these two models from Aquaguard: Aquaguard Astor and Aquaguard Regal. Kindly share your thoughts.

Regards
Old 18th August 2021, 10:31   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Raw water has :
1. Suspended solids - sand, silt etc (SS)
2. Dissolved Solids - Calcium, Sodium, Potassium etc. The total dissolved solids are called TDS.
3. Pathogens - Bacteria, Virus etc. (BL)
4. Heavy Metals - Mercury, Arsenic etc. (HM).

So you have to get rid of all of the above (treat) to make the water potable. (That is safe for drinking and bathing).

Each component has a specific treatment
1. SS is separated with mechanical filters. There are usually coarse mesh followed by fine mesh. In larger plants the SS is filtered in settlement ponds where the water is left in a lagoon for a couple of days.

2. TDS is normally taken out with RO (Reverse Osmosis). In past Ion-Exchange was favoured for industrial treatment, but today RO has overtaken it.

3. BL is treated with UV to kill the pathogens. For large plants chemicals (chlorine) are preferred due to high throughput required, but UV is great for smaller quantities.

4. HM is a bit tricky and requires specialized chemicals to precipitate them.

In short water treatment strategy depends on what you want to get rid of in the incoming water.

Lest you think that RO is used only for domestic water treatment, I can assure you that I have experienced Industrial Sized RO Plants in Middle East (million liters/day or higher). In fact RO is quite popular in desalination plant all over the world.

Last edited by Aroy : 18th August 2021 at 10:32.
Old 18th August 2021, 11:17   #1035
Senior - BHPian

The apartment has high levels of TDS. Neighbours were losing their filters quickly and maintenance was reportedly high. so we took DrinkPrime subscription. Its all App based. They maintain the machine and I pay around 300 odd bucks a month. TDS was at 650, now under 60. Water taste is good
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended water purifier?-screenshot-20210818-11.14.01-am.png  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks