Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 07:06   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

And we wonder why the infatuation with the dash and gadgets in chinese and korean cars sold here

Its funny how some of us pooh pooh such folks who buy such cars but turn around and do the same thing for gadgets we have no idea about. Is this how the human brain works? Look for beauty if you dont understand something? Interesting.

Form over function or function over form is a personal thing. Very few have got both closely right, like Apple or some Japanese car manufacturers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th March 2021 at 07:07. Reason: Quoted post edited out. Thanks.
Old 5th March 2021, 08:10   #1007
Senior - BHPian

'Municipal water is pretty clean.' That is a myth. Here is a way to check that. Take a clean, white cloth, tie it around your kitchen tap. Keep using water normally for 2 days. Then take it out and inspect the surface inside. It would yellow-red smudge and some minute particles settled. The smudge is the carry over of chemicals used in the treatment plant and the particles could be anything that increased in the system.

Municipal water is called potable water, which can be used for all and sundry household purposes. Drinking quality water need to be devoid of bacteria and viruses which are tested as Coliforms in water. These can't be totally filtered except by RO system.

IS:10500 clearly states that No Coliform shall be detected in drinking water. Here is the standard for reference.

http://cgwb.gov.in/Documents/WQ-standards.pdf

Please go through the standard carefully. This will clear lot of confusions like Potable water and drinking water.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:50   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, which is the Toyota Innova of water purifiers? Need one for home (usual Mumbai water). Please suggest a make & model. Thanks!
I have been using Zero B water purifier from almost 10 years. No complaints. I stick to regular service as prescribed by company. I also have TDS (bought from amazon) which I use to check the reading of filtered water. Basically, I check for consistency in readings. I see sometimes there is difference in reading and that's where I know it's time to call service team for quick check.

Zero B head office is in Mumbai and should be available at your place.

https://www.zerobonline.com/
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:54   #1009
Senior - BHPian

There are numerous reports saying the RO water has low pH value, slightly acidic and not good for health. So some recommend using an alkalizer unit at the outlet of RO unit.

Is this really a concern? Also there are many remineralizer solutions now available for low TDS. It seems very odd that you first remove the minerals and then add them back.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:06   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Slightly acidic is NOT harmful to health. A pH of 6.5 to 8.5 is normal and acceptable as per IS:10500. Aquafina has pH of 6. Alkalnizer mainly adds taste to water.
It seems odd to remove and add minerals, but it is the nature of RO. It doesn't permit 'any' mineral to pass through. No selective filtration is possible with RO.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 13:16   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
How do you get this installed? How is the taste of water from this and can the output TDS be controlled (in the video from above post, the output tds the reviewer is getting is 39-40 which I guess is too low)? Also, the output water speed is also looking very slow int he video, is it so? Lastly, is the DIY process easy or cumbersome?
Sorry for asking too many questions but I needed to know!
It was installed the next day an Mi technician itself. When you receive it you need to setup an appointment online. He showed how to change the filter that day and its pretty easy. The output TDS cannot be controlled but it would also depend on the input TDS. My input is around 1700 and output is 65-75. Not sure if the technician can set the output TDS or not. Also you may need to buy a prefilter, however I am using the same one from by previous RO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Agree on every point. Even ours is 6 months old. Did you change the filters already?
Nope haven't changed them yet. All 3 at 55%, so I guess 6 months more to go
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 13:30   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I have been using Zero B water purifier from almost 10 years. No complaints.
Ah, yes, this is IonExchange I mentioned earlier. We have had for more than a decade --- although ours was extensively rebuilt after being submerged in the Chennai flood of 2015.

Their website is horrible: like some old Flash thing, that takes ages to load a simple page. And it is supposed to be buy-online but they don't give prices! That's basically bullshit! But I think their products are industrial strength: they do make industrial units.

We have an under-counter unit. All you see on top is the tap.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th March 2021 at 13:34.
Old 5th March 2021, 14:27   #1013
BHPian

Re: Covid-19 Vaccine | Registration & Experiences

Guys, I've just shifted to BLR (Indiranagar) for the foreseeable future and I'm looking for a water filter. Habituated to the taste Mumbai water has, I cannot adapt to the Bangalore water. In this case, should I prefer a RO + UV filter from Aquaguard/Mi or go for something else? Even DrinkPrime which someone mentioned on the last page looks interesting.

Last edited by prateekm : 5th March 2021 at 14:41.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:01   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Municipal water is called potable water, which can be used for all and sundry household purposes. Drinking quality water need to be devoid of bacteria and viruses which are tested as Coliforms in water. These can't be totally filtered except by RO system.
This sounds like RO is the only solution, even in areas where it is not really needed. Lets not forget the good old method of boiling water for drinking purposes, when weighing options. We were considering RO at my house in Kochi, which has municipal water supply. After considering the cost, maintenance, water wastage and the essential minerals supply, we decided that having a normal sediment filter + carbon filter + UV (Aquaguard) and subsequent boiling of water is the best option.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:50   #1015
Senior - BHPian

^^ After filtration and UV treatment, water must be immediately transferred into tight containers i.e. Tupperware type bottles. If water after UV is collected in open containers and stored then it picks up bacteria and organisms from the air rendering UV treatment redundant.
As far as boiling, it is superfluous after UV treatment and serves no added purpose.
So, filter, boil, store in tight containers and drink.
Or, filter, UV treat, store in tight containers and drink.
For all other purposes, just physical filtration is sufficient.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 20:30   #1016

You can request home visit by all major RO water purifier companies in India:- Here are links to their websites:

https://www.pureitwater.com/IN/home-demo
https://www.eurekaforbes.com/contact...kademorequest/
https://www.kent.co.in/freedemo

If you are looking for recommendations (Toyota of Water purifier) Then check this post:https://energyconversiondevices.com/...urifier-india/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What this means is, please suggest a brand / company which can visit my home, test the water for TDS / TSS and the brand should be reliable, service should be good, the purifier should last and should not require much maintenance. One time cost is not an issue.

I too came here for similar requirement. Please tell me, how can one check TDS / TSS at home without any professional help /aid?
Old 6th March 2021, 10:17   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
As far as boiling, it is superfluous after UV treatment and serves no added purpose.
So, filter, boil, store in tight containers and drink.
Or, filter, UV treat, store in tight containers and drink.
Recently, we got rid of the RO stage in our water filter. It still has 4 filter stages like, the prefilter, sedimentation fllter, UV filter etc except the RO stage. TDS is around 200-250 now. Still getting used to the taste, but no issues of throat infection to anyone so far due to change in water quality.

But one thing we are noticing is that the vessels used for boiling water have some sort of residue left behind - whitish/greyish spots in water kettle, bottom of pressure cooker becomes darker. Is this expected or is it a concern ?
Old 6th March 2021, 10:58   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Recently, we got rid of the RO stage in our water filter. It still has 4 filter stages like, the prefilter, sedimentation fllter, UV filter etc except the RO stage. TDS is around 200-250 now. Still getting used to the taste, but no issues of throat infection to anyone so far due to change in water quality.

But one thing we are noticing is that the vessels used for boiling water have some sort of residue left behind - whitish/greyish spots in water kettle, bottom of pressure cooker becomes darker. Is this expected or is it a concern ?
Those white-grey spots are the Dissolved Solids. Whatever 200-250 ppm TDS is getting sedimented on the vessels. No filter can remove them, except RO.

Every other 'filter' removes suspended particles only. All you are doing is physical filtration. UV is not a Filter, but it is called as UV treatment. This part just kills the live organisms in water, but won't do any filtering.

I guess your input and output TDS would be nearly the same. That is because you removed RO section.

If you need to avoid scaling totally, then you must put the RO back in.
Old 6th March 2021, 11:28   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
I guess your input and output TDS would be nearly the same. That is because you removed RO section.
Yes, TDS remains more or less the same between tap water and filtered water.

Thanks for clarifying on the dissolved solids. If it is just vessels, we can live with it. But the question I have is, will these dissolved solids have any long term impact on our body ?
Old 6th March 2021, 12:10   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Yes, TDS remains more or less the same between tap water and filtered water.

Thanks for clarifying on the dissolved solids. If it is just vessels, we can live with it. But the question I have is, will these dissolved solids have any long term impact on our body ?
Generally, 250 ppm TDS is drinkable without any harm, provided there is no coliforms (bacteria). But, to make sure there is no harmful elements like fluoride above permissible limits you need a water analysis for its constituents. A test per IS:10500 can clarify the constituents as to limits and present levels. (Please see a few posts before for the link of this standard).

Otherwise, put back RO and be in peace.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 6th March 2021 at 12:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks