Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2022, 10:25   #1051
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Our 12 year old UV aquaguard water purifier just died. Don't want to get it repaired since it is too old now. We don't need RO since we get Kaveri water and hard water is not really an issue for us.

I have picked the following to replace it:

Aquaguardᴿ Select Classic+ Water Purifier

Can anyone share their experience with this one? or any better alternatives?

Last edited by Samurai : 5th March 2022 at 10:44.
Old 5th March 2022, 11:49   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can anyone share their experience with this one? or any better alternatives?
We have one of these and also a Pureit Marvella UV. Although they are both competent products I prefer the Pureit. As you said a regular UV should suffice since you have Kaveri (Cauvery?) water.
The Pureit has better product support. Eureka Forbes guys have done a half baked job on more than one occasion.
Old 21st March 2022, 14:31   #1053
Senior - BHPian

We use the Pure It's Marvella (Mineral RO + UV + MF). The hinge lock on the tap broke off a few days back and since then it's stuck using a wire. Though it serves the purpose, but the flow is greatly disturbed with this arrangement. I have inquired at the authorised centers out here, and was surprised to hear that taps are not available extra to buy and tap from other model would not fit .

Recommended water purifier?-img_20220321_142419379.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:38   #1054
BANNED

Quote:
or any better alternatives?
These are the cheapest Forbes options

https://www.amazon.in/Eureka-Forbes-...dp/B0095S9JU0/

https://www.amazon.in/Eureka-Forbes-...dp/B0095PD2OC/

Both are more than sufficient.

And the great thing about Forbes purifiers is that original parts & consumables are easily available & any purifier mechanic can service it. Post the first year, I have never ever called the official mechanics for annual maintenance or for any other repairs.
Old 22nd March 2022, 13:52   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
or any better alternatives?
https://www.lustralwater.com/

A new kid on the block, form a startup, comes with IOT enabled water purification and usage data on an App.
ajithvpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:41   #1056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithvpl View Post
https://www.lustralwater.com/
A new kid on the block, form a startup, comes with IOT enabled water purification and usage data on an App.
Not just IOT, their website says it's AI enabled also. If they somehow manage to add a blockchain in there, it would become an unbeatable water purifier.
carboy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 15:31   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Kent RO purifier since the last 14 years. This rather is a necessity due to a hardness of about 500+ ppm of ground water and very difficult to drink.
Where hardness is not an issue, the regular Aquaguard UV purifier does a good job.

The RO unit needs regular maintenance for sure and is expensive but atleast we know what we are drinking and more reliable than bottled water (which was the norm before the RO came in)

All the components are plug and play and these keep conking off at periodic intervals (including all the sediment, carbon, activated charcoal, UV lamp, the motor, control unit, solenoid valve, tap, external filters at the inlet and so on) So everything needs to be replaced at regular intervals. This is an acceptable as every part is a consumable and wears out.

So over time I would say that just the outer plastic cover and the water tank of the RO unit is the original purchased one. Rest all have been replaced multiple times and all need renewing.
Earlier, used to call the servicing guys, but these days do all the maintenance myself, something I started during the covid lockdown days when the calling the service folks itself was risky.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd March 2022 at 15:45.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 06:53   #1058
BHPian

Planning to buy water purifier for my parents in Bangalore with small storage. Water supply from the corporation so I guess UV is sufficient.

I see one from Aquaguard with 7L storage https://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-p...-reviva-nxt-uv quoted 13K by Eureka forbes.

Are there other brands which offer good installation/maintanance with similar or lower price than this one?
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:40   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Planning to buy water purifier for my parents in Bangalore with small storage. Water supply from the corporation so I guess UV is sufficient
May be; but remember, metro water (in Chennai) has Chlorine (Cl), lots of Cl. So, just an UV won't help clear off Cl. May be a purifier with 100-200 TDS RO could help.

Quote:
I see one from Aquaguard with 7L storage https://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-p...-reviva-nxt-uv quoted 13K by Eureka forbes
Got 404 Page not found

Quote:
Are there other brands which offer good installation/maintanance with similar or lower price than this one?
Yes plenty; it's the cartridge & the pressure pump are are expensive. So buying a super local one & replacing the internals with branded cartridge & full copper 125 GPD should be good. If you're in multi-storied building/building & living somewhere from half to ground floor or equipped with pressure pump to dispense water from overhead tank 75/100 GPD should also save you significant cost.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 01:39   #1060
BHPian

We have an LG WW180EP water purifier that is 4 years old. Whenever I speak to LG technician regarding change of filter membrane (paid service), they aggressively try to sell the AMC product, saying "sir filters will cost Rs.5,500. But if you taken AMC at Rs.6,500, you get filters as well as 3 free maintenance service visits so just go for AMC".

What am I missing here? Considering that we live in a world where profit margins are everything for most businesses, why is LG trying to convince me for AMC?

And should I just go for filter membrane/cartridges replacement or should I go for AMC?
Old 31st March 2022, 07:52   #1061
Senior - BHPian

For just Rs 1000 more, go for AMC. There is no catch, only that LG is assured you're staying with them
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
aggressively try to sell the AMC product, saying "sir filters will cost Rs.5,500. But if you taken AMC at Rs.6,500, you get filters as well as 3 free maintenance service visits so just go for AMC". What am I missing here?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:46   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
We have an LG WW180EP water purifier that is 4 years old...
And should I just go for filter membrane/cartridges replacement or should I go for AMC?
I'm quite happy with LG's water purifier - it's so much better than what I had earlier from Aquaguard. Doesn't require much in terms of maintenance, but I get the AMC just for the peace of mind.

But, someday if I want to get on a more DIY approach to maintenance, it's nearly impossible to do so with LG. The filter sizes are different and I don't know of anyway to get genuine replacement filters in the open market. So, while I like the machine and have no problems with the service so far , not having an option for DIY kind of sucks!
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:05   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
We use the Pure It's Marvella (Mineral RO + UV + MF). The hinge lock on the tap broke off a few days back and since then it's stuck using a wire. Though it serves the purpose, but the flow is greatly disturbed with this arrangement. I have inquired at the authorised centers out here, and was surprised to hear that taps are not available extra to buy and tap from other model would not fit .

Attachment 2286738
Just for the benefit of everyone. It happened on my Aquaguard Total Enhance twice over 10yrs. Eureka forbes changed it promptly.

Quote:
We have an LG WW180EP water purifier that is 4 years old. Whenever I speak to LG technician regarding change of filter membrane (paid service), they aggressively try to sell the AMC product, saying "sir filters will cost Rs.5,500. But if you taken AMC at Rs.6,500, you get filters as well as 3 free maintenance service visits so just go for AMC".

What am I missing here? Considering that we live in a world where profit margins are everything for most businesses, why is LG trying to convince me for AMC?

Its an issue with all the players. The catch is that they get an instant fat comission on AMC which is obvious and secondly good quality RO filters last for 6000 litres whch means 1.5 yrs or more for a family of 4 and if you have pre filter(which greatly enhances the RO filter life). AMC will force you to replace it every year. Over a period of 3 years you need to buy 3 AMCs but if you go for only filter replacement you may need it only twice. This is from my personal experience with municipal supply and Aquaguard RO. There are others like Purit which don't have AMC but they have auto cartridge change reminder using which they can control the frequency of cartridge replacement. I serously doubt these alarm based alerts. They are tweaked to serve the company more than the customer.

Last edited by huntrz : 20th April 2022 at 08:15.
huntrz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:17   #1064
BHPian

Looking for a water purifier to be used in Kochi.

The supply is from the Corporation water authority. The usage will not be continuous and will be mainly during our visits on Summer holidays for 2 months and about every 2 months for about 2-3 days, max a week at times.

Given the low usage, our availability throughout, and low TDS, I am keen on something that does not need quarterly maintenance (being tied to AMC), replacement of carbon, etc. I won't be needing RO purifiers.

How good are gravity-based purifiers? are they self maintainable?
The advantage I find is that it suits my requirement and maybe I can replace the filters myself.
One big problem I found during my research is that it does not have the water inlet connected to it and we have to manually pour water in batches of 500ml. (I was seeing Kent and Tata Swatch)

Are there models available that can be connected directly to the supply?

If not, what is the next best option (non Gravity)?
Old 13th June 2022, 09:00   #1065
BHPian

Considering buying a water purifier. TDS where I live is near 700 but I am not interested in an RO. Anyone tried the brand Peore ? They claim to be able to function well w/o RO at high TDS levels ? Reviews are good on Amazon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks