Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 10:53   #961
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I got myself a mi tds checker and it shows my tap water having a TDS of 30 and my RO filtered water as 12!

Faulty meter? But if correct what should i do?
If I go by your location Trivandrum, where the water source is river, then the TDS of 30 should be correct. Unless you have a borewell (again TDS depends on the soil components) I don't think you need to have a RO purifier!
Old 15th October 2020, 10:57   #962
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the water source for the city corporation would be a river indeed. Was in a flat prior to moving to an independent house and was not sure of water there, so had got the RO filter...

So for this, i guess a conventional UV filter would suffice? And is 30TDS still too low for drinking water? Should i be looking at mineral adding cartridges?
Old 15th October 2020, 14:11   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From there, have another 0.5 - 1.5 HP motor to move the hard water through the softening circuit and eventually to the over head tank
Thanks a lot for your suggestion and advice. We are contacting 3M in Mysore to get some engineer do a site visit. On the pump set up, it is designed the way you have suggested thankfully. We did enquire with the neighbors in the same street and they are saying that there is no need for a water-softner as the area gets the water from Kabini and the bore water is needed only couple of months in the summer. Still, I am proposing to my family to install a water softner system and stick with traditional method and not the vortex tech
Old 15th October 2020, 14:27   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestion and advice. We are contacting 3M in Mysore to get some engineer do a site visit. On the pump set up, it is designed the way you have suggested thankfully. We did enquire with the neighbors in the same street and they are saying that there is no need for a water-softner as the area gets the water from Kabini and the bore water is needed only couple of months in the summer. Still, I am proposing to my family to install a water softner system and stick with traditional method and not the vortex tech
If you will be using the 3M softener in the summer months , then a single cartridge system is sufficient. From my experience, 1 cartridge will last a few months. So every year, you need a new one for the summer months. Also, add a prefilter before the softener cartridge. So the flow would look something like this

Hard water storage ->Water pump-> Sediment filter to remove sand, grit and other floating stuff -> 3M softener cartridge -> over head tank.

Another word of caution. Since you will be using the softener only for a few months in an year, remove the cartridge and the housing when not in use. You can simply unscrew them.Else, it will lead to growth of fungus in the cartridge surface. Also, ensure that the sediment filter is cleaned once a week when in use so that it does not get clogged up and restrict the flow rate and in turn damage the pump.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:19   #965
Senior - BHPian

Our Kent packed up, on Big Billion Sale day. And mi was on offer. This will save us a lot of headaches as the filter replacement is DIY. It's smart, and RO efficiency as well as TDS reading is on the phone
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:21   #966
BHPian

Have been using Livpure Pep Pro Plus + for over 18 months now, without any issues so far.
Highly recommend it, if you are on the fence.
Old 19th October 2020, 19:08   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our Kent packed up, on Big Billion Sale day. And mi was on offer. This will save us a lot of headaches as the filter replacement is DIY. It's smart, and RO efficiency as well as TDS reading is on the phone
Hello Sebring.

Looking forward for your feedback. I'm considering this but lot of questions on its suitability. We get corporation water and sometimes use borewell. Tds is between 200-450 depending on borewell usage. Can this be used set tds to our desired level OR is this a blackbox,which cannot be tinkered with? Also how is the taste of the water?
Thanks in advance
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 22:00   #968
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately the TDS cant be set to desired level. You can only DIY the filters. Water quality is good, but Kent is the best. That water tastes really great
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Hello Sebring. Looking forward for your feedback. I'm considering this but lot of questions on its suitability. We get corporation water and sometimes use borewell. Tds is between 200-450 depending on borewell usage. Can this be used set tds to our desired level OR is this a blackbox,which cannot be tinkered with? Also how is the taste of the water? Thanks in advance
Old 15th November 2020, 16:47   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Unfortunately the TDS cant be set to desired level. You can only DIY the filters. Water quality is good, but Kent is the best. That water tastes really great
Just checked this out on the net as my own Kent Filter is giving problems after 6 yrs of usage. For the MI filter, there seem to be stray issues with installation technicians, which is not so much a cause for concern. But, the filters cost 4k collectively and replacement is prescribed as annual.
In 2.5 years, theoretically, the cost of the filters will equal the cost of the purifier and being proprietary products, perhaps alternative replacements are not so freely available.
This is a problem I found with most RO systems. Not specific to MI. Cost economics of maintenance do not add up. Its like the costly HP inkjet printer cartridges, which add up to the cost of the printer in 2-3 uses.
I guess DIY is the way, but with spares costing so much, what choice do we have.

Last edited by hrman : 15th November 2020 at 16:50.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 02:01   #970
Senior - BHPian

I also have found Kent water to taste the best, so much so that I don't find water from other waters quench my thirst as well which is a problem. I also don't like the taste of the useless marketing tactics "Copper" and "Alkaline" stuff that has become common of late and which I don't want as I use RO water for water changes in my shrimp aquarium. Also adjustable TDS is a boon as is the tap design that allows me to connect a hose pipe to fill my water jugs handsfree.
Another thing, UV Leds like in the Mi as well as other covid sterilization products are a scam, they are all blacklight type UV Leds and not true UVC.

Change the Activated Carbon cartridge every 6 months to boost the life of your RO membrane. The Chloride added to tap water damages it and AC will absorb it
Old 16th November 2020, 08:50   #971
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendation for TDS meter? See so many options, unable to pick one.
Old 16th November 2020, 09:32   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I bought two, one generic and the other from Xiaomi and use both just to cross verify.
The MI one hopefully is accurate and is linked here.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01FDMXLD2
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 06:47   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I bought a generic one like this a few years ago. Seems to be doing the job.

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Digita...5575794&sr=8-3
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 07:27   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

We've been using a Livpure RO unit for last 3 years. Earlier we were using an Aquaguard 3in1 water purifier for over 20 years. But with a very high TDS content of our ground water (around 700) with excess of lime and Mom's tryst with Acute Pancreatitis, we decided to switch over to an RO. All the services have been carried out on time. The TDS was generally maintained at around 50+/- few units as we did not like the taste of 20-30 ppm water. Recently, I purchased an Mi TDS meter and it's really handy. I purchased it directly from Mi store. The reading appears to be fairly accurate. The only issue is that it is shipped without batteries, it requires 2 LR44 button cells.

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082123__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082128__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082133__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082157__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082220__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082231__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082357__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082420__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201122_082438__01.jpg

Recommended water purifier?-img_20201125_075500__01.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 25th November 2020 at 07:50.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 10:03   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a 2014 Pureit Ultima RO+UV purifier which was working flawlessly. Suddenly it stopped working last week, and the tech asked for the SMPS (adapter) to be replaced. Did so but at a usurious price of Rs. 1,850.

Normal generic market price should be ~600 bucks, but this was a branded made in India one from Pureit themselves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks