Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 12:50   #916
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
surprised to know most units have over 50% wastage.
Wouldn't call it wastage if you can repurpose it (dishes, mopping, plant irrigation, rinsing, etc.).

By the nature of their design, the RO membranes have to wash away all the collected "impurities (solids)" and that is what emerges in the washout/reject. Most purifiers come with some way to control the TDS levels in the water you need. Depending on this setting for higher (lower) TDS values you can get more (less) water reject.

One has to collect this for repurposing.
Old 24th May 2020, 17:52   #917
BHPian

Looking to purchase water purifier. Just ordered TDS meter to check the level. Since we get water from lorry supply I think it will vary highly. Which is better LG or havells? in terms of maintainence and reliability.
Old 29th May 2020, 17:15   #918
BHPian

Hello Guys,
Looking for a RO water purifier and shortlisted the below model from LG. This has both Hot & Cold water apart from room temperature. The only concern family have is it doesn't have mineral booster feature which other models have. I checked with the LG guy they told it depends on the current TDS of water as it will improve the TDS by 90% so in case the TDS is 1000 it will get reduced to approx 100 which is fit to drink. Moreover he told we get hardly 1% of minerals from water required by our body and rest we get from food n fruits we eat so it is not necessary to have the mineral booster feature. Sarcastically he said if you get so many minerals from water then people will leave food and start drinking water only and too much minerals or hard water may lead to kidney related issues/stones.

I am bit confused as I find this model pretty nice with touch features and hot/cold option. No need to keep water in refrigerator in summers and can avoid electric kettles in winters. Please suggest.

https://www.lg.com/in/water-purifiers/lg-WHD71RB4RP
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended water purifier?-lgro.png  

roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 17:53   #919
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this is a fantastic model and top-of-line. Honestly, adding minerals seems gimmicky to me, (and you will always have to trade off few features with other models). Before buying do have a demo of Brita (and mi - if you can), its the latest and demo looked good. I have all three of these under consideration
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Looking for a RO water purifier and shortlisted the below model from LG. This has both Hot & Cold water apart from room temperature.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 18:16   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

I did, and would always prefer to, go for an under-sink device with its own spout and tap.

There are several occasions when I want to wash something (eg a peeled egg, or fruit) in drinking water, or even fill a large container like the 5-litre garden-spray that I keep filled with ONR solution for cleaning the car.
Old 29th May 2020, 18:31   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,
Looking for a RO water purifier and shortlisted the below model from LG. This has both Hot & Cold water apart from room temperature. The only concern family have is it doesn't have mineral booster feature which other models have. I checked with the LG guy they told it depends on the current TDS of water as it will improve the TDS by 90% so in case the TDS is 1000 it will get reduced to approx 100 which is fit to drink. Moreover he told we get hardly 1% of minerals from water required by our body and rest we get from food n fruits we eat so it is not necessary to have the mineral booster feature. Sarcastically he said if you get so many minerals from water then people will leave food and start drinking water only and too much minerals or hard water may lead to kidney related issues/stones.

I am bit confused as I find this model pretty nice with touch features and hot/cold option. No need to keep water in refrigerator in summers and can avoid electric kettles in winters. Please suggest.

https://www.lg.com/in/water-purifiers/lg-WHD71RB4RP
I bought WW182EP yesterday but haven't installed it yet. Although this model has mineral booster filter , I will be honest I didn't give much thought in terms of gains of mineral post RO. But one this was clear that remineralization does improve the taste of water so it was necessary . We may get our minerals from the food but what about the taste of the water? Can you live with that ? Also, the reason I didn't go for the model you are looking at is that we don't have a space on the kitchen countertop and so the purifier had to be wall mounted. WW182EP looks really good and has a slightly bigger tank.

Last edited by hondafanboy : 29th May 2020 at 18:58. Reason: spelling
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 18:50   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
I bought WW182EP yesterday but haven't installed it yet. Although this model has mineral booster filter , I will be honest I didn't give much thought in terms of gains of mineral post RO. But one this was clear that remineralization does improve the test of water so it was necessary . We may get our minerals from the food but what about the test of the water? Can you live with that ? Also, the reason I didn't go for the model you are looking at is that we don't have a space on the kitchen countertop and so the purifier had to be wall mounted. WW182EP looks really good and has a slightly bigger tank.
Did you mean taste of water? If yes than they guy told it has 2 carbon filters pre-carbon filter and post-carbon filter. The latter one removes odor and improves taste of water and this is specifically mentioned on the website as well. BTW the one which you got is also nice and by chance if my mom see that she will force me to get this only. It is compact and can be hanged but the model which I am looking out can not be hanged and will definitely take extra space. The only reason I am going for it is the option for cold water.

Last edited by roby_dk : 29th May 2020 at 19:19.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:46   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean taste of water? If yes than they guy told it has 2 carbon filters pre-carbon filter and post-carbon filter. The latter one removes odor and improves taste of water and this is specifically mentioned on the website as well. BTW the one which you got is also nice and by chance if my mom see that she will force me to get this only. It is compact and can be hanged but the model which I am looking out can not be hanged and will definitely take extra space. The only reason I am going for it is the option for cold water.
Yes , I meant taste. Sorry about that. I also like the idea of having easy and instant access to hot water ( i like to drink warm water). If I had enough space in our kitchen I might have gone for the one you are looking at because that hot and cold water option is quite useful. And yes, don't show it to your Mom because that other model has flower design and looks quite nice according to my wife.

I would say if you are able to put it on the countertop then go for it. You might be able to hide those water inlet and outlet tubes for clean install.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:46   #924
BHPian

Hello guys,

I have a Kent Grand star RO purifier. It is almost one year now and close to end of its warranty period.

It comes with a one year warranty and three years of labour AMC. I booked a service today through the Kent app. The service is just checking the TDS level and if it is fine, nothing else.

The TDS level was fine and filter has more than half of its life left.

He said now is the right time to purchase the parts AMC for Rs 7000 as the product is still under warranty. Because it is still under warranty, the entire filter set will be replaced and the AMC will start. The filter set itself costs Rs 5000. I will not be charged for the filter set.

But if the parts AMC is taken after the warranty expires, the filter set will be charged. So total- Rs 12,000. Every three months will be a TDS check and all other parts replacement will be included in the AMC.

So now I am wondering if the AMC is actually worth it.

Also is it advisable to leave the unit on 24 hours or just turn it off once the tank is full and restart it once a lot of water is drawn/tank is empty?
Old 12th June 2020, 21:26   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Hello guys,

So now I am wondering if the AMC is actually worth it.

Also is it advisable to leave the unit on 24 hours or just turn it off once the tank is full and restart it once a lot of water is drawn/tank is empty?
I personally feel that they always are over aggressive in replacing filters as thats how they make money. If you are able to source original filters you can change them yourself - but it takes some getting used to, to be able to remove and replace.

Leaving the machine 24 hours on is perfectly fine. Have been doing that for all our RO systems.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 15:14   #926
Senior - BHPian

The AMC seems very pricey. I took AMC in the 2nd year from the company and it definitely wasn't that expensive. Just checking the TDS is not enough. They should backwash the sediment and carbon cartridges at the very least and once a year remove and wash the storage tank thoroughly.
After the 2nd year I've found a decent service guy and been getting the work done on an as needed basis. Normally the RO cartridge is changed every 2 years and the sediment and carbon every year. I normally do this after the monsoons. UV and the UF and post carbon are changed as needed.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 17:33   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

We get our Zero-B under-sink unit AMC for about 6k.

Independent guy, used to work for Zero-B.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:10   #928
BHPian

Hi bhpians, I need to purchase a Water purifier since we have been using Bisleri 20l cans since over 5 years in Bangalore now. Since our apartment has only bore water, and TDS is around 500 with high water hardness (all taps have turned white within 4 months), was thinking of going for a RO + UV system.
I would have liked a NF+UV only system (without RO) since RO is quite overkill for a household, but didn't get any reputed companies making those.

Anyways, I shortlisted ZeroB ECO RO by going through the pages of this thread due to its relatively low wasteage. I personally don't like wasting water, and the high wasteage RO systems do is criminal.

Surprisingly, ZeroB don't seem to have any dealers in Bangalore as per the sales team, and only direct sales which has put a question mark in my mind regarding the after sales service too. Any pointers?

Any other system I could go for, which wastes less water? I don't mind going DIY for the service/ filter changes if they are available online/ in market. What worries me rather is the electronics failing, or the filter body breaking
Old 16th June 2020, 22:34   #929
BHPian

Mini Review after 2-3 week usage of LG Hot n Cold RO.

Very happy with my purchase of this unit. Took 5 year AMC for additional 18k which will fully cover the unit for any issue or regular services. Peace of mind for next 5 years no haggling with service guys in changing filters/pipes etc. The same person who fitted the RO is assigned to work on it for next 5 years, he gave a card with his photo ID which is attached with the RO.

- A practical option for tempting cold water in Delhi summers through out the day.
- No more bottles required in refrigerator not a single bottle left in it saving space which can be utilized for other things.
- The front really look amazing and the touch panel is damn easy to use kind of feather touch.
- Both hot and cold can be turned off individually as per requirement by long press of button for few seconds which will make it like a regular RO which will only dispense regular room temperature water.
- Taste of water is much better than AO smith Z9 RO which is installed in my sister's house just above my apartment.

Dislikes:
- Size it could have been a bit broader rather than longer from front could have looked more proportionate in that way.
- A bit colder water in morning from the regular room temperature option, might be due to the normal water tank placed too close to the cold one which make the regular water a bit cold. This is felt only in morning but can be arrested by mixing a bit of hot water or a simple workaround to turn off the cold option in night before sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended water purifier?-ro2.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 08:08   #930
Senior - BHPian

If you wash dishes or mop floors with RO discharge, you get this white film. Then you need fresh water to rinse that off. Plants should be okay, since the water is rich in minerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Wouldn't call it wastage if you can repurpose it (dishes, mopping, plant irrigation, rinsing, etc.). By the nature of their design, the RO membranes have to wash away all the collected "impurities (solids)" and that is what emerges in the washout/reject. Most purifiers come with some way to control the TDS levels in the water you need. Depending on this setting for higher (lower) TDS values you can get more (less) water reject. One has to collect this for repurposing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks