Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 06:11   #796
BANNED

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In our case the Kent AMC + consumables costs around 4K per year, so it is definitely expensive. As some have said in this forum, try to find an RO which can use generic filters available online. This will reduce the consumable costs a lot. Barring mother board, most of the service and repairs involve replacing cartridges and tightening up the internal water pipes which in our case tend to split and/or get loose regularly.
@Aroy; We have avoided an RO so far. In any case third party maintenance people use generic consumables. There are very few manufacturers who feed the OEs, so this is perfectly kosher. My issue is more with the valves etc. which in Kent have a reputation of starting to fail after three years.

Today very few people are using OE service. High cost and poor response!

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th April 2019 at 06:13.
Old 13th April 2019, 09:35   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
From what I know LG only has purifiers for hard water with fixed tds.

Thanks.
However I am inclined to LG because of Stainless steel reservoir which is much better than plastic. We dont like plastic products.
Anyone here invested in a LG purifier? What are the annual maintenance charges?
Old 13th April 2019, 13:08   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Aroy; We have avoided an RO so far. In any case third party maintenance people use generic consumables. There are very few manufacturers who feed the OEs, so this is perfectly kosher. My issue is more with the valves etc. which in Kent have a reputation of starting to fail after three years.

Today very few people are using OE service. High cost and poor response!
In our case the response is very fast. In fact it seems that there is a dedicated set of personnel who operate in South Delhi. Most of the time the response time is less than an hour if they are nearby, otherwise it can be as long as three or four days - during festive season, when most are on leave.

From what I have observed, maintenance of the Kent RO is pretty simple as they are built with ease of maintenance in mind. It is the parts and consumable that have prevented me from taking the responsibility of maintaining it.
Old 13th April 2019, 13:29   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Thanks.
Anyone here invested in a LG purifier? What are the annual maintenance charges?
Been using LG water purifier since October 2017 and remember paying around 11k+GST for a 4 year maintenance contract. The technician calls and schedules a service once in 4 months and this needs zero follow-up from our end. The purifier has served us well save for the excessive noise offlate when the motor runs.
Old 13th April 2019, 13:37   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Been using LG water purifier since October 2017 and remember paying around 11k+GST for a 4 year maintenance contract. The technician calls and schedules a service once in 4 months and this needs zero follow-up from our end. The purifier has served us well save for the excessive noise offlate when the motor runs.

Thanks for sharing. I am impressed with the LG purifiers. Will check in a LG store near my home.
Old 13th April 2019, 13:49   #801
Senior - BHPian

We have PureIt Ultima 2017 model. These are the typical costs:
SF: Rs 250 - Replaced every 6 months (every 2000 litres)
GKK1: Rs 2,300 - Replaced every 12 months (every 4000 litres) includes SF
GKK2: Rs 3,500 - Replaced every 24 months (every 8000 litres) includes GKK1
Service technicians charges are Rs 300 per visit.

In our home, the unit reports replacement exactly at around 12 months, 24 months duration.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th April 2019 at 13:51.
Old 13th April 2019, 13:49   #802
BHPian

Sharing a nifty trick our Kent service personnel advised us :

He said that, if the water is taken directly from the Kent's tank for drinking , its better to fill up the tank by switching on the system at repeated intervals, instead of letting the system stay on 24x7.

This reduces undue stress on the system, which gets activated everytime one takes a glass of water.

Been doing that for the past 2 years, and surprisingly the life of RO parts and filters have improved, and downtime has become minimal.
We control the switch manually at home, but Amazon.in has some interesting "Timer Sockets" which can be programmed to start and stop as per instructions.

Last edited by sharktale : 13th April 2019 at 13:51.
Old 13th April 2019, 15:39   #803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In our case the response is very fast.

From what I have observed, maintenance of the Kent RO is pretty simple as they are built with ease of maintenance in mind. It is the parts and consumable that have prevented me from taking the responsibility of maintaining it.
In other words do I take it that Kent are also kosher. In fact afaik Kent is a venture of a fellow alumnus from IIT Kanpur. Thanks for the input.
Old 16th April 2019, 16:38   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post

He said that, if the water is taken directly from the Kent's tank for drinking , its better to fill up the tank by switching on the system at repeated intervals, instead of letting the system stay on 24x7.

This reduces undue stress on the system, which gets activated everytime one takes a glass of water.

Been doing that for the past 2 years, and surprisingly the life of RO parts and filters have improved, and downtime has become minimal.
We control the switch manually at home, but Amazon.in has some interesting "Timer Sockets" which can be programmed to start and stop as per instructions.
In fact I have observed the opposite. I used to only switch the filter on to fill the tank. The membrane lasted little more than a year. When the filter is left on 24/7 it automatically does a backflush that cleans the membrane. This increases the life. I have also added the prefilter and now change the activated carbon filter every 6 months to make sure it removes chlorine which greatly reduces membrane life
Old 16th April 2019, 17:55   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing a nifty trick our Kent service personnel advised us .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
In fact I have observed the opposite. I used to only switch the filter on to fill the tank.
How about shutting off water supply? If there is no water the unit doesn't start. Does it achieve the same objective?
Old 16th April 2019, 18:42   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
How about shutting off water supply? If there is no water the unit doesn't start. Does it achieve the same objective?
It's not at all suggested. Don't do that please.

Shutting off the water will result in air being sucked into the motor pump and lead to damage of the entire system.

I don't know whether your model shuts off power sensing lack of water supply, but my Gen 1 Grande variant has no such feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
In fact I have observed the opposite.
Even I am suggesting the same. Just run the system to fill the tank, and restart it till there is not much water in it. Periodic start and stop is just followed in our home, and we have synced it to the KMC water supply time, to further improve water quality and rely lesser on Boring water as input.

Last edited by sharktale : 16th April 2019 at 18:46.
Old 17th April 2019, 14:08   #807
Senior - BHPian

Don't run the filter without water. Backflush only happens in the intermittent time. You will notice that when the tank is full and filter is idle it will occasionally turn on for 10 seconds or so every half an hour maybe
Old 17th April 2019, 20:07   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Been doing that for the past 2 years, and surprisingly the life of RO parts and filters have improved, and downtime has become minimal. .
That's is the precise way to operate an RO unit. I have Dr. Aquaguard. I fill up and switch off, twice a day. The membrane has completed 3 years and still working good. Only thing I changed was pre filter, twice at 15 months interval.
Never leave it on.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 17th April 2019 at 20:09.
Old 18th April 2019, 00:00   #809
BHPian

Where can I buy Pre-filter candle for Eureka Forbes Aquaguard, there are plenty of vendors online, but I want to buy a company product.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:17   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Where can I buy Pre-filter candle for Eureka Forbes Aquaguard, there are plenty of vendors online, but I want to buy a company product.
Call their 1-800 helpline and their local distributor will get in touch with you for original spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks