Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:38   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hi BenjiRoss, pls keep us updated on this. I am almost buying Pureit Ultima unless you report something seriously wrong about it.
They said it must be a minor problem due to the water level sensor being stuck. He freed it but the problem recurre . The tech is back again trying to sort it out.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:20   #407
BANNED

UV is not really an add-on. There is normally a 'polisher' for the water. Ion Exchange (Zero B) prefers Iodine, most prefer UV!
Old 4th November 2014, 10:35   #408
Team-BHP Support

We have regular Aqua Guard water purifier at our Bangalore flat. During the time of purchase, the aqua guard salesman did some test and said RO is not required. But the quality of water has changed over 4 years, thanks to mix of borewell, Kaveri and tanker water.

My wife wants to change to a RO purifier. Is it really required? Here is the recent water testing result at our apartment building. How do we decide whether RO is required?

Recommended water purifier?-watertestingreport.jpg
Old 4th November 2014, 10:41   #409
BANNED

@samurai; Definitely not. I have been using an Aquaguard (non RO) for 13+ years, even though our water is HARD. In IITK we newver had any filter since the water was straight from the tube well. Even now with a few overhead tanks in the circuit, and an admixture the municipal (Ganges) and tubewell water, the water quality of fine, except for the higher degree of hardness (from the tubewells). So sometimes I feel filtration may be overdone or overhyped.
Old 5th November 2014, 07:04   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BenjiRoss, pls keep us updated on this. I am almost buying Pureit Ultima unless you report something seriously wrong about it.
The technician jiggled the switch, float and connector a little bit and it all seems fine. I've used it for 2 days now and all seems ok.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:21   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The technician jiggled the switch, float and connector a little bit and it all seems fine. I've used it for 2 days now and all seems ok.
Thank you! Any comment on the quality of the water? Taste etc ?
Old 5th November 2014, 11:07   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Any comment on the quality of the water? Taste etc ?
Water Quality is on par with other RO units. Build quality seems ok. Few of my observations:
- the replacements for the filters etc have reminders which are hyped up as a selling point.
- the dispensing button is electronic and hence won't work during a power cut. Also the positioning is a little odd.
- You cannot see how full the tank is. When the tank fills up there is a water full indicator that lights.
- The TDS before the RO was 800 and on the first tankful after the unit was running was 120.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:42   #413
BHPian

It's been four years, should I get the PVC tank of our Kent RO changed? Food grade or not, does PVC leech chemical after some years?
Old 12th November 2014, 09:17   #414
BANNED

@Guite; If it leaches then you have lost a lot of muck, so why bother.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:50   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
It's been four years, should I get the PVC tank of our Kent RO changed? Food grade or not, does PVC leech chemical after some years?
Due to the reflective nature of stainless steel, and to a lesser degree aluminum, most commercial implementations of uv water purification devices utilize stainless steel containers.. If it's PVC then Chemicals from the plastic bottle itself can leech into the water making it unsafe. Most Water filters will have various stages of purification and RO will also remove nutrients!

It would be best to choose a Water filter which has a UV filter chamber which holds the water made of Stainless Steel!
Old 12th November 2014, 10:11   #416
Senior - BHPian

Is there any reliable tap adapters that are capable of removing bleaching powder (and dust) from water? I need this as a pre-filter for my drinking water filter. "Kent Tap Guard" has very bad reviews on the net. Any other reliable ones?

I recently bought a ZeroB Suraksha tap adapter (Rs 399 + shipping from ZeroB site). I am using this as a 'pre-filter' for my water purifier (Output water from ZeroB Suraksha is fed into PureIt basic water purifier).

I opted for this setup because of the following reasons:
1. I have been using PureIt (basic one) for almost 6 years, with no issues so far. (Water borne diseases have come down drastically in my family - but that could be my perception). I don't want to experiment on other filters now. Even RO filters have mixed reviews on the internet.
2. I have moved to a flat where the water has a lot of bleaching powder, so the Pureit gets clogged frequently. The ZeroB Suraksha filters bleaching powder and other visible particles so that my Pureit needs less frequent cleaning.
3. Doesn't bite my wallet. Advantage is that I can buy new systems before the current one gets 'too old'. Infact, this is my 3rd Pureit in 6 years.

Now the issue:
As per the user manual of ZeroB Suraksha, the unit contains iodine resin. It also says that iodine would be flushed through urine, but people with thyroid problems should consult a doctor before using this (This is something that is not mentioned in their website). Is there any risk of using this? I am not sure whether Pureit would remove the iodine (if any) from the water that I finally drink.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:22   #417
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
As per the user manual of ZeroB Suraksha, the unit contains iodine resin. It also says that iodine would be flushed through urine, but people with thyroid problems should consult a doctor before using this (This is something that is not mentioned in their website). Is there any risk of using this? I am not sure whether Pureit would remove the iodine (if any) from the water that I finally drink.
If the system uses UV then it does not need iodine. I see no real risk with iodine for normal people like us.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:05   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Guite; If it leaches then you have lost a lot of muck, so why bother.
Can you please elaborate? I do not know whether it is leaching. I am wondering whether (food grade) plastics start leaching after certain number of years of usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
It would be best to choose a Water filter which has a UV filter chamber which holds the water made of Stainless Steel!
I already have one, i am talking about replacement of OEM part.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:25   #419
BHPian

Hi All, i observe moss formation in the tank of our RO+UV filter. The frequency is after nearly every 3rd week of wiping it off. Please comment on whats possibly going wrong here.
Old 12th November 2014, 14:54   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If the system uses UV then it does not need iodine. I see no real risk with iodine for normal people like us.
Thanks sgiitk. Recently I read an article in a newspaper which says high intake of iodine (by using iodized salt) is actually harmful, especially for young children - hence the question.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 12th November 2014 at 14:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks