Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 06:51   #451
BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

Aquaguards had no moving parts and used to work under the tap water pressure. Basically with various filters, UV light and some electronics, so chances of failure was rare. I was using it for a couple of decades and serviced it myself and all I had to change was a photo cell and some filters.
But in a quest for better filtered water we moved to Kent RO and over the past decade I have changed filters every year and some membranes along with a change of brushes in the pump motor and once I have had to change the pump diaphragm. Being a pressure device, undoubtedly blockage failures are expected, more so if the tap water has high TDS. But if you want better water with controlled TDS there is no choice.
I find complaints of failures of RO machines mainly in areas where tap water TDS is high and your water requirement is high. Both relate to enhanced rates of failure.

Last edited by techiecal : 20th May 2015 at 06:58.
Old 14th June 2015, 12:26   #452
BHPian

Re: Labs in B'lore?

It's related, so thought of asking it here. Are there any labs in b'lore, which can test a sample of our borewell water?

What with several reports appearing in papers about high level of nitrates in ground water, would like to know for sure about the contents of our ground water.
Old 14th June 2015, 12:40   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
... Are there any labs in b'lore, which can test a sample of our borewell water?
Just Dial lists many verified water testing labs. Link.

If you already have an AMC for your waterpurifier, you could request them to do the testing and mail a report to you. Aquaguard service guys did that for us a couple of times. (The team that covers BTM Layout, Silkboard area).
Old 14th June 2015, 12:42   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
It's related, so thought of asking it here. Are there any labs in b'lore, which can test a sample of our borewell water?

What with several reports appearing in papers about high level of nitrates in ground water, would like to know for sure about the contents of our ground water.
I happed to see mailer from https://www.thyrocare.com/ giving some offer for Blood Checkup+Water Checkup and it has many collection centers through out India (saw on their web page). I think have started water checking too. You can mail/contact them to know the details.

Note: I've never used their service nor am I attached to them. Just remembered the mailer so thought of giving you some pointers.
Old 14th June 2015, 13:45   #455
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
If you are in Bangalore, go with the full option (TDS with UV + UF + RO) from Kent.

I was in the same dilemma last year, I was initially not ready to spend more than 10k on the purifier but later realized that our life is more precious than money, let me get the best option in the market. What if I settle with UV option only & if the water is not tasting good, those questions frequently came to my mind.

All the best with your purchase. I was on the few owners to buy Kent RO in my apartment, majority of the people had opted for aquaguard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have been using the Kent Pearl RO filter for over 10 months now. So far so good. Water taste is fine. The unit has a storage of 8 litres, which gets consumed over a day. But the tank should be cleaned at least twice a month, to avoid moss formation.

No issues with service so far.
Hello there,

How much are you paying in maintenance/AMC?

I want an idea of the likely recurring expenditure.

Last edited by skdking : 14th June 2015 at 13:47.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:54   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello there,

How much are you paying in maintenance/AMC?

I want an idea of the likely recurring expenditure.
I was told that the RO filter needs to be replaced every 1.5 years, plus few other components in the kent system, the total cost would come to 2-2.5k INR/-. The RO filter's life is dependent on the nature of tap water being treated, it is likely to last only 1 year if the water quality is terrible.

I was advised to fix a transparent external filter (costing 300/- INR) that would filter the colloidal particles (1st level basic filtering) from the tap water before they are fed to the RO system. One can see from outside the amount of particles trapped inside the filter. This would reduce the burden on the entire system and prolong the life of the filters. I got a free service last month, technician was quite happy with the way the filters have held up after 15 months into service. I don't know the exact storage capacity, must be 8 liters, that's our minimum daily requirement or sometimes more.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 15th June 2015 at 15:57. Reason: Edit
Old 16th June 2015, 08:18   #457
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I was advised to fix a transparent external filter (costing 300/- INR) that would filter the colloidal particles (1st level basic filtering) from the tap water before they are fed to the RO system.
You can look at the CRO membrane as an ultra filter working at the molecular level. So as much garbage as possible should be removed.

There are typically a couple of filters inside the system before water hits the membrane. Otherwise the membrane will not last even a day! So what you will really load is the first (coarse) filter the most. In many areas with tube-well water sand can be a big issue. Kanpur has fine golden Ganga sand which is fine, and is a real problem.
Old 12th August 2015, 12:36   #458
BHPian

Has anyone here used "under the sink / counter" purifiers (Aquasure / kent / Zero B)?

Any feedback? Any hygiene issues from installing these under the sink?

I am looking at one so as to save some above the sink storage space in my new house.

Thanks.
Old 12th August 2015, 15:24   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviv View Post
Has anyone here used "under the sink / counter" purifiers (Aquasure / kent / Zero B)?
The purifier you mention is rudimentary and will only remove impurities like dirt/mud from the water. It does not kill bacteria which is a necessity to protect the weak and vulnerable from water-borne diseases. Getting rid of bacteria usually requires a UV mechanism.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 12th August 2015 at 15:25.
Old 12th August 2015, 17:55   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
The purifier you mention is rudimentary and will only remove impurities like dirt/mud from the water. It does not kill bacteria which is a necessity to protect the weak and vulnerable from water-borne diseases. Getting rid of bacteria usually requires a UV mechanism.
I was actually referring to the under the sink RO Models of Aquaguard / kent / Zero B.

Ken Xcell +
Aquasure Under sink RO
Zero B kitchen mate

All in the range of 18-20k. I believe they are all RO + UV.

The key difference being their fitting - they are supposed to be installed below the kitchen counter. Frees up wall space. And they being under the sink do not have an aesthetic exterior.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:11   #461
BHPian

I have recently bought AO Smith Puritee+ and definitely felt the difference in water quality. This is much better than earlier model we had from Eureka forbes.

They have come up with new technology cal RO + Mineraliser, which is probably trying to maintain TDS in a different way than others do it. I recommend ppl looking for a new purifier to give it a try.

PS: I am relocating to another country soon and planning to sell of most of my items.. Do you guys think I can sell the water purifier without losing a lot of money ?

I bought this in June 2015 for abt 25000/-, it comes with 2 yr warranty and guaranteed 1 hr service. How much can i expect if I were to sell it now ?
Old 16th August 2015, 20:15   #462
Senior - BHPian

Does this have a stainless Steel water tank or a plastic/ABS one?

You can try selling it on olx, quickr etc. The best bet for not losing money would be the office notice board or its latest iteration in IT these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I have recently bought AO Smith Puritee+ and definitely felt the difference in water quality. This is much better than earlier model we had from Eureka forbes.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:28   #463
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I was almost sure on getting the Pureit marvel RO+UV, then had the sense of asking for a demo, the wonderful folks have not even come back, the request being made 5 days back.

I stay in Bangalore and get Cauvery as well as bore well water, and use Bisleri 20 litres can.

I am somehow getting inclines to the AO Smith Puritee+hot, couldn't find much reviews about it, not very keen on kent as there is no filtration before the water hits the RO membrane.

I was looking at something which has multiple filtrations before the water reaches the RO membrane, has some sort of mechanism to prevent the TDS level falling below say 30 or 40.

If water is stored in a stainless steel container inside it would be a plus.

Going by my needs, what water purifier would you recommend.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:44   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I am somehow getting inclines to the AO Smith Puritee+hot, couldn't find much reviews about it, not very keen on kent as there is no filtration before the water hits the RO membrane.
Kent RO has a sediment filter and then an Activated Carbon Filter before the raw water enters the RO Membrane.
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:37   #465
BHPian

Hi people, have a couple of queries:

1. How can I measure the TDS of water? I live in Chennai and are there any labs where I can get it tested? Right now, I feel the level of TDS is quite high in my drinking water as I can see some salt deposits on the container after boiling & it forms a salt layer on top of the boiled water. But, not sure what would be the level of TDS, so unable to decide the water purifier I need.

2. Does it mean that if the level of TDS is very high, it requires an RO + UV purifier? Because that's what a service agent from EF told me when I was having on online chat with them.

3. If the above point is true, is it advisable to go with Pureit Marvella RO + UV as I'm getting it at a good price on snapdeal?

Last edited by vw19d : 3rd November 2015 at 16:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks