Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 14:56   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

I was in Delhi for few years and enjoyed eating good food.Will pen down few names which i remember.

1, Mir Restaurent @Batla house-Single gravy portions are served here.Chicken Achari,chicken masala and their trademark dish Chicken Changezi are to die for.The chicken biriyani is too good.Very very economical.

2,Shameem Restaurent @Kalkaji market-The kheema masala is too good and reasonably priced too.

3, Gopalji Ke chole-Does not need introduction-Simply awesome.

4, Al Jawahar restaurent @ opp Jama masjid-Bheja masala, shami and chicken kali mirch are to die for.Very good and reasonably priced restaurant.

5, Park Balluchi @Deer Park-Try the grilled chicken marinated in saffron or the grilled cheese stuffed with nuts, dates and mushrooms.

6, Al-Baik @ Friend's colony-The best Shawarma in town.

7,Paranthe @ Moolchand-One word wow.Egg parantha,aloo parantha and raita.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:39   #332
Team-BHP Support

NawabGanj Safari - Ambience Mall, Gurgaon - Indian Food

Had read a lot about the ambiance of this restaurant and wanted to give it a try. Went there for dinner on Friday: 6 adults-- 4 non-veg and 2 veg. Some points:

- Ambiance: Good, but not great. For someone who has gone to Pind Balluchi innumerable times (not by choice mostly), I found the ambiance to be very similar. Slightly better, but only by that much. NGS is not dressed up as a village, but as a forest. But still, it was nothing new.

- Food: The variety of the menu is DISAPPOINTING. Its a very limited menu to start with and couple it with the fact that 2 main course dishes were not available (Friday, peak dinner time mind you) and we were looking at only one boneless chicken dish available (Murg Zartaar)
To their credit, the dish was made well and served hot on demand, both temperature wise and taste wise.
The paneer and pindi chana were again, good but not great.

- Link to menu

- In their quest to find "different" names for the dishes on the menu, they have managed to confused, in fact mislead, patrons. We ordered paneer khurchan wanting to have paneer bhurji, but it turned out to be a variant of karahi paneer.

- Its expensive. Our bill was 2900 for the following order
2 x Chicken Dishes
2 x Veg Dishes
1 x Raita
3 x Fresh Lime Soda
Breads
I don't think the taste was worth the 500 per head expense.

- Their chakori warqui parantha is very nice

Recommendation: Stay Away, unless you want to give it a try for the sake of it. Sahib Sindh Sultan, right next door and priced identically is a MUCH better option.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:25   #333
BHPian

I'm a self confessed 'food-a-holic' (and it ruddy well shows)...

There. I've said it.

*sigh*

This shameful fact notwithstanding(!) I enjoy experimenting with food. And most importantly, I truly enjoy eating different types of food and/or cuisines. It of course doesn't help that I have part Bengali blood running riot in my veins, which means that I ADORE my sweets too.

I've just realised that I may as well triple my Life Insurance cover right now, since the above is a recipe for a walking, talking, jolly, back-thumping heart attack!

*sigh*

"Well - on with the details", did I hear you say????

Fez. It's an interesting name and that is also what drew me to it. The 1st time that we ventured towards it was the pre-birthday dinner for my wife's mile-stone birthday, earlier this year. This little gem is tucked away in the Diplomatic Enclave in New Delhi, in the vicinity of the better known Fujiya's etc etc. You need to circle around the front of the Fujiya's resturant and get to Fez, which is at the back of the building.

There are 2 levels to the resturant. the ground floor has a combination of formal dining table style sitting as well as more casual sofa style corners. For those of you who have weak bladders and wish to stay near the washrooms - stay here, because the kitchen and the restroom are BOTH on this level!!!

The more interesting part is on the 1st floor, which is also where we sat, both times we have been there. On most nights, the resident DJ insists on playing 'lounge' music which is a little bit irritating; and this is probably one of the only blots that I can think of.

The seating on the 1st flloor is all on diwans, clusters of which make up the seating arrangement(s) here. The walls have a pleasing rough hewn look to it, with brilliant splashes of aquamarine (alcoves painted in the color) which hold delicately fluttering candles...further enhancing the cosy atmosphere and mood.

So, apart from the coziness...this is also where you can try some of the 'sheesha' in the varied flavours that are on offer. Once you're sitting there, it seems to be the most natural thing to do, to be actually tugging at one end of a bubbling pot, exhaling perfumed and aromatic smoke, seconds after said tugging! We have tried the strawberry and the green apple, I'd whole heartedly recommend the latter.

(and no - i don't smoke...and this is NOT tobacco)

The food though is a different matter.

Don't order anything.

confused?

Don't order anything BUT the non vegetarian platter, and if there are enough of you (or you're unlucky enough to be a vegetarian!) the vegetarian platter. I can assure you, you need enough people to go through both platters. 4 of us struggled. The entire menu, which is not huge by the way, is very Mediterranean in feel (the name might be a dead giveaway though!!!)

An assortment of different styles of meat, chicken, a single type of fish and a choice between prawn and calamari, will leave you bewildered as to where to start from. For the vegetarians...don't bother.

(only kidding!!!)

The vegetarian platter has a variety of cheese sticks, spiced baby samosa like dumplings, a spicy lentil based tikki as well as the staple, baba ghanoush (a brinjal based preparation), the hummous and the garlic paste to die for.

Each of the platters carries a bowl of the garlic paste, the hummous as well as a dahi based dip, which was oddly sweet... I'd recommend you also order a plate of the Tabbouleh (a fresh herb and parsley based salad, embellished with Burghol or cracked wheat) which cleans the palate, so that you can savour all the different flavors.

The dessert menu is limited to say the least, but do the rose flavoured ice cream doo dah... err... 'yummm?' Admittedly eating anything with rose in it is off putting, but this is / was a revelation!!

The service is discrete and pretty prompt. It's not at the same level as maybe a Mainland China, but it isin't a slouch. A discrete 100 rupee note does go a long way in making it all the more smooth though. The place has surprisingly not been thrumming either of the times we've been there, which in it's own way is good, because I don't enjoy being stuffed into a space, like badly packed sardines in any case.

Fez is a superb place to hang out with a couple of friends, or even attempt a romantic quiet dinner with your better half. It is not a gut churning, blood pumping disco, so if that's what you're after, go somewhere else. The food is better than most of the far far pricier joints that litter the Delhi food-scape. The ambience is both cozy and friendly at the same time.

And the clincher is that this is all at very reasonable prices.

Please note the use of the word 'reasonable' as opposed to 'cheap'. An evening out for 2 couples with sheesha, dinner and more than enough dessert, will set you back between 2.5 to 3 thousand of your hard earned (or not!) cash.

Would I go there again?

"Hell yeah!!!"

The question is..."would you?"

Last edited by bblost : 16th May 2011 at 08:52. Reason: Please refer Rule 11. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2011, 13:35   #334
BHPian

which is the best biryani place in Delhi? I am looking for some Cal/Hyd style biryani.

The hyd. biryani at swagat is the best that I have eaten so far. Deez biryani is ok, don't understand what the craze is about. Matka Pir is something I have not yet tried, but then the process is long and complicated involving an order a night ago.
Old 16th May 2011, 08:23   #335
Senior - BHPian

Deez biryani is very average. Nothing special at all. It now is just like another biryani you get in a food court in one of the hundreds of malls in delhi.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:25   #336
Senior - BHPian

Well, my top 5 favourites:
1. Jolly Rogers (Time Tower, MG Road, Gurgaon) - Great rooftop ambience and excellent continental food. (1500 + pp without drinks)
2. Hard Rock Cafe (Saket, Delhi) - Great crowd and music. The Chicken Wings are, I guess, closest to what you get to the Texan wings, in Delhi. (1000 + pp without drinks)
3. SETZ (Vasant Kunj, Delhi) - One of the best in Delhi. DLF's flagship thing, AFAIK. Premium Cuisine from all over the world on offer. 6-7 imported chefs running their respective kitchens within the main area of the restaurant. Must try - Dessert Platter. (2000 + pp without drinks)
4. Olive Beach (Chanakyapuri, Delhi) - Greek themed, cozy little place. The cheapest thing on their menu is a Burger that costs around 800 bucks. But, you gotta have one to believe it. Great mediterranean fare. (1500 + pp without drinks)
5. Oh Calcutta! (Behind Nehru Place, Delhi) - Delicious Bengali Cuisine on offer in a very nice ambience. Try their Lunch Buffet; the spread is fab. (1000 + pp without drinks)

Well, the list can go on an on, to include the likes of Ai Lounge, All American Diner, Swagath, QBA, Moets Sizzlers, Tonino, Big Chill, Kebab Factory, Barbeque Nation etc.; but thought would highlight my Top 5 choices.

Last edited by roy_libran : 16th May 2011 at 09:33. Reason: Formatting
Old 24th May 2011, 14:42   #337
BANNED

Try Alkauser near Malai Mandir in R.K. Puram for really nice non veg food. It has only outdoor seating and very basic ambience and is only open for dine-in during night time.

Try the Tandoori Chicken, Afghani Chicken, Kakori Kebab (His family invented this), Varqi Paratha and the Mutton Biryani. His Butter Chicken is also nice. Rates are reasonable.

PS - Do not try any other Alkausers located elsewhere.

PPS - After you have visited this place, I will tell you an interesting fact about the owner.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:17   #338
Senior - BHPian

Well, I found another new one, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Try UMMAMI in Global Foyer, Golf Course Road Gurgaon. Excellent Cuisine Options. Has a Cigar Lounge too. You can try the Sushi here. Priced at around 1200-1500 bucks for a meal without drinks.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th May 2011 at 01:55. Reason: Removing references to alcohol.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 01:47   #339
BHPian

A review of places eaten at over last week

Al Bake, New Friends Colony -

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-img_7052.jpg

Awesome rolls (romaali with shredded chicken) served with mayo type sauce. They call them shawarma's but I don't think they actually qualify as that. And what they call as mayo is not mayo. But whatever it is, it is awesome! Your hands drip with oil, and your stomach revolts at the quantity, but your taste buds are rejuvenated.
Cost: 1 roll for Rs. 30. One person can easily eat 7 rolls; on a past occassion I have hit ten, and I am not a heavy eater.
Ambiance: Loud din of the meat cleaver shredding away the meat all the time. almost to headache creating levels.
Seating: Nauseatingly cramped inside. Stand and eat outside.

Watchout for all the fake Al Bakes in NFC market, this one is the last one, with the maximum standing crowds.

tip: ask them to serve mayo separately and not inside the shawarma.

Coffee shop at Intercontinental @ Nehru Place:
Review only to the extent of coffee. Closest 5 star to my house so dropped in for coffee late at night today. Coffee shop is pathetic. It is actually a diner, with the buffet laid out. There was no menu shown for the coffee, and for 5 average coffees the bill was hitting Rs. 1500. Service was super slow as well. We needed an AC place to talk so it worked, but..

Swagath, at GK II M block
I am a big fan of the outlet at Defence Colony Swagath's biryani. Here we went all out on sea food side. Koliwada style batter fried Prawns (ask them to get over their north indian fixation for size, and actually get you the smaller size prawns - they are always tastier), Deshelled crabs in the house style, two chicken starters and a chicken gravy and rotis, and neer dosas, along with a couple of cokes. Bill make close to Rs. 5k, out of which the crab itself was for Rs.2200. But the food was well made, the crabs and prawns tasty. The head waiter was good with the recommendations. And they allow people to smoke if you are seated on the terrace section. Costly yes, but I think worth it if you want this kind of food.

Cafe Turtle, Khan Market

At one point of time, this used to be the king of cafes in Khan Market (now that title belongs to Amici), where coffee crowd drink coffee. It is crowded and get choc a blocky at times, but yeah, the wifi is good. The Kashmiri Kawa tea is awesome (I had 4 refills once), and the food is veg and only passable.
One will not be dissapointed to sit here for a couple of hours with a friend and chat about the world on a saturday. But yeah, first try Amici and then come here. Amici does everything much better and the deserts there are to die for.

3 more restaurants but they will be reviewed tomorrow.

Last edited by manolin : 26th May 2011 at 01:52.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:55   #340
Senior - BHPian

Disappointing food @ Machaan, The Taj Mahal Hotel, Mansingh Road Delhi. Only thing I liked was their famous dessert "Bulls Eye". NOT worth the money spent. Cost for 2 (without drinks) ~ Rs. 4000.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:48   #341
BHPian

Biryani update - The Lalit staff canteen, CP

The fellow who runs my office canteen has some contacts in The Lalit staff canteen, and manages to procure biryani from there from time to time. For Rs. 110, it’s a steal. And tastes brilliant.

It was one of those fragrant biryani’s with not a hint of spiciness. The rice was not your general long grain rice, and was evenly coated with the oil (unlike all those biryani’s where they mix a bit of fried rice (?) and biryani rice to give it a multi coloured look).
The mutton was perfectly tender and tasted perfect. That seems to be the key; these guys obviously have access to good quality mutton as the meat must be getting bought at the same places as for Lalit’s actual restaurants.

Awesome. And yet very different. Have to try one of Lalit’s restaurants to see if the quality is the same as that of their staff canteen.
Old 18th June 2011, 17:12   #342
BHPian

1) Legends of Connaught

at CP. Opposite PVR plaza

Spread across 2 levels the restaurant is spacious but the seating is not plushy or above ordinary.

We ordered a dal, nans and Mutton Boti Kebab masala, and a 3 drinks. Bill was around Rs.2400. The mutton dish was very tasty. Actually liked the food, and by delhi standards, it was par for the price.

2) Chi at Safdarjung Development Area

Chinese and thai.

Good food. Tries to be like authentic chinese slightly mated to the Indian taste. main course dishes are priced around 350-400 odd.

Will recommend.

happy weekend eating

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th June 2011 at 18:54.
Old 19th June 2011, 00:52   #343
BHPian

Is there any place in south Delhi where I can get European food? I particularly like Chicken Schnitzel. Times city food guide indicates that it is/might be available at five star hotels but I don't want to go there .
Old 19th June 2011, 02:09   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Fez.

The question is..."would you?"
I did. Tonight.

We sat on the ground floor for 2 hours and on the 1st floor for an hour later.

I liked the place. The non-veg mezze platter was good. But the ala carte bits were better. The lamb chops, and the rest of the 4 dishes we ordered were quite good (sorry don't recall the names, complicated names anyways). The decor on the ground floor was quite interesting.

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-img_8994.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-img_8999.jpg

side item: there was a projector running a hollywood arabic movie throughout on mute.

Went upstairs post dinner for a hookah and coffee. yeah. One can easily lounge about there for hours.

Total hit for 5 sparsely eating people was Rs. 6100 (after discounts as we had some coupons).

Agree about the bit about the music.

Thanks for recommending this place.

Last edited by DerAlte : 19th June 2011 at 18:45. Reason: Unacceptable parts excised. Please read forum policies, and if in doubt please ask TBHP Support before posting
manolin is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2011, 14:19   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
A review of places eaten at over last week

Cafe Turtle, Khan Market

At one point of time, this used to be the king of cafes in Khan Market (now that title belongs to Amici), where coffee crowd drink coffee. It is crowded and get choc a blocky at times, but yeah, the wifi is good. The Kashmiri Kawa tea is awesome (I had 4 refills once), and the food is veg and only passable.
One will not be dissapointed to sit here for a couple of hours with a friend and chat about the world on a saturday. But yeah, first try Amici and then come here. Amici does everything much better and the deserts there are to die for.
Went again, and was dissappointed. The kawa was no longer served in a pot, the sticky brown sugar was no longer made available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks