Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:38   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
I will be visiting Delhi next month and will be staying a good week or two. Would appreciate recommendations for :-

1. Punjabi style tandoori delicacies

2. Lucknowi style kebabs/biryani etc

3. Best Rajma Chawal, Kadi Chawal etc

4. Best Gol Gappas, Samosa, Kachori etc

Will be staying near Karol Bagh (Rajinder Nagar) so nearby places would be even more appreciated.

Btw, I am not looking to dine at fancy restuarants but, small quaint dhabas, smaller but neat restuarants to get the real flavour of Delhi.
Aha!
Give us guys a ring.
1,3 and 4,I can help you with.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:18   #467
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

i agree about pre made bhaturas. Though i still think they make the best chole in town.

my favorite chola bhatura shop considering all items is nagpal in amar colony. It does help that i stay nearby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Hi Deepak

While Sitaram does have a legendary history, the current fare they are dishing out is nothing so great. Also I was never a fan of his (Pre fried) heated bhature. I ate there less than a week ago.

IMHO Odeon Sweets in Gole Market, 2-3 kms from New Delhi Railway Station has much better Chole Bhature to offer.

Walk down from Odeon sweets till Galina/Sagar to sample some Tandoori delecacies.

Old 22nd November 2012, 17:31   #468
lsp
BHPian

Nagpal .. hmmm. Somethings gone wrong there as well, ever since they started charging Rs 50/- per plate and started making those bhaturas the size of footballs.

There was a good upcoming one in Lajpat Nagar - Anand ji near the Gurudwara, but my last taste of his fare wasn't very inspiring either. (Shop No - 37, Krishna Market, Lajpat Nagar I)

: Lets catch up some day at Nagpal. Bring Akash along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
i agree about pre made bhaturas. Though i still think they make the best chole in town.

my favorite chola bhatura shop considering all items is nagpal in amar colony. It does help that i stay nearby
Old 22nd November 2012, 18:15   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post

: Lets catch up some day at Nagpal. Bring Akash along.
A Nagpal mini meet do let me know as well as even i stay in the viscinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Will be staying near Karol Bagh (Rajinder Nagar) so nearby places would be even more appreciated.

If you are going to stay near karol bagh you could try prems or chicken changezi

Last edited by rohit choudhary : 22nd November 2012 at 18:18.
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:08   #470
BHPian

kerala house

Actually i didn't notice what its called, so could be called kerala bhawan. Last time we went there, we had to walk through the full anna hazare protest stuff to reach it. Today, too there was a small rajput andolan protest. But basically Kerala House is a beautiful colonial building down the road from Jantar Mantar with a fake elephant, and the canteen in the rubbish basement.

Super cheap average veg thali with red rice, and unlimited buttermilk. Extra paid stuff is the chicken curry, fish fry, fish curry, and meat, which are all very tasty and cost next to nothing.

Costs for the extra stuff is - 40 rs per plate which is 2 pieces basically. The fish curry is sea fish, which is generally not available in Delhi. Recomended, but just be on time as they run out of stuff pretty early - so basically be there before 1.45 pm for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit choudhary View Post
A Nagpal mini meet do let me know as well as even i stay in the viscinity.
I stay very close also, in EoK. let me know :-)

Last edited by manolin : 2nd December 2012 at 18:14.
Old 6th February 2013, 00:14   #471
BHPian

Had a superb meal at MI Meat Suppliers in Meherchand market (behind IHC). Look for a CCD, this is 5 shops before the CCD when you are coming down from IHC. Open only in evenings, and was shutting down at 11 pm.

Basically looks like your standard kebab joint of delhi - till you look at the intensity with which the main cook turns the kebabs on the grill.

This is what we tried -
1) Roast Chicken - The best roast chicken in Delhi. Just perfectly done, and a little differently from the Bangalore Empire style gas roast which I am used to. They roast it over a coal grill, very very slowly, almost take half an hour to do it. As a result the chicken is just exactly how it should be - firm, yet not hard, roasted, and not burn't. And then they roll it in a super tasty dahi chutney, and serve.
2) Mutton Sheekh - just perfect. Its quite a shame that Mutton Sheekhs have become pretty standardised in Delhi - this place, with a slight pudina tinge to the mutton sheekh, and because they add no butter/oil on top, are nicely different, and yes - they don't burn it. So its well done, and very flavourful.
3) Chicken pakoda - lightly fried crunchy boneless pakoda.

Bill for 2 people was Rs. 400.

Only for non-veg junkies - no veg items.
Old 6th February 2013, 00:32   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Had a superb meal at MI Meat Suppliers in Meherchand market (behind IHC). Look for a CCD, this is 5 shops befo-------------snip---------- .

Bill for 2 people was Rs. 400.

The first shop or the one run by the two heavyweight brothers?
I agree, though, delicious stuff! And cheap!
Old 6th February 2013, 14:28   #473
BHPian

It used to be a favourite of mine for a long time till 2 year back i had food poisoning after eating their fried chicken. Most probably it happened because of their green chutney (it was rainy season).

Well, i guess i should give them another chance

Try Kunafa in same market for middle east deserts. Their kunafa and baklava are very good. The prices are on little higher side but the quality of stuff is worth the money.

Quote:
Had a superb meal at MI Meat Suppliers in Meherchand market (behind IHC). Look for a CCD, this is 5 shops before the CCD when you are coming down from IHC. Open only in evenings, and was shutting down at 11 pm.

Old 10th April 2013, 19:13   #474
BHPian

South Cafe, Gautam Nagar

Another authetic Mallu food place. This is in Gautam Nagar, and is very easy to reach. Take the road opposite Siri Fort going towards Yusuf Sarai. Take the first right, and then the first left. After a little bit, on the right hand side you will see a transformer. Park somewhere there. Take the lane next to the transformer, and South Cafe is the first shop in the lane. (Alternatively, while coming from AIIMS on yusuf Sarai, after All India Medicals Store, take the left. You will cross a small bridge and then a bit of a market, and then come to the aforementioned transformer on your left.)

Decent food, not great but will satisfy cravings. They have a thali with unpolished rice and very home style veges, to which you can add the necessary buff fry/mutton fry/chicken fry; or go on an ala carte mission of dosas/parathas with the various combinations of mutton/chicken/beef fry. Very oily. Properly mal. (I don't know why I speak with such authenticity, considering I have never been to Kerala)

Damage: 300 bucks for 2 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

This was the one which was next to the meat shop (the guy in the meat shop was also heavy set, as was the guy in the restaurant). Is there another one in that area?

Last edited by manolin : 10th April 2013 at 19:16.
Old 10th April 2013, 19:21   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This was the one which was next to the meat shop (the guy in the meat shop was also heavy set, as was the guy in the restaurant). Is there another one in that area?
One is a small one, with a couple of small chest height tables out front.
The second one is slightly larger, with a big menu on the wall. And both are delicious!
Old 10th April 2013, 20:07   #476
BHPian

Yaar guys recommend some nice places with reasonable priced food in Gurgaon. I am sick of visiting the same places time and again. The problem with most GGN joints I go to is that food is good but they price it too expensive. 2 to 2.5 for 3 people is no fun and driving to Delhi for meals is quite a chore and to be honest the pahari road from Pullman Hotel to DLF is a bit unsafe at nights and using Delhi - GGN expressway route is always so much traffic and toll.
I would prefer Non Veg recommendations, cuisine no bar basically have meat will eat.

Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 15:40   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I'm so glad to find this thread.

I live in Defence Colony but just couldn't find a good kebab joint near-by. By good I meant something that's not too heavy on the pocket but definitely heavy on the stomach.

Does this place also have tikki kebabs - Galouti & Shammi kebabs I mean? I'll try it for roast chicken and chicken pakoras also.
Old 11th April 2013, 16:33   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

I live in Defence Colony but just couldn't find a good kebab joint near-by. By good I meant something that's not too heavy on the pocket but definitely heavy on the stomach.

Does this place also have tikki kebabs - Galouti & Shammi kebabs I mean? I'll try it for roast chicken and chicken pakoras also.
For that try sab ki khatir next to NBCC(?) building near golf link exit towards Lodhi road.
Old 11th April 2013, 17:09   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Colonel kebabs in def col market? Though personally I don't like that place - pricy, and not too tasty.

Take your pick

MI meat suppliers
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-201302052682_q1.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-201302052684_q1_q1.jpg

They don't have Gilawati kebabs.

For that, as Mayank has pointed out, you have to head to Sab ki Khatir/Ap ki Khatir, both of which are very close to Def Col; whose kakori kebabs are just too soft.

Otherwise head to Amar Colony Market. Tunday kebabs has opened up a branch there. Super gilawati kebabs with ulta parathas. You will have to stand and eat though.

Tunday Kebabs Delhi
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-201209051307.jpg

Last night we went to Karims in Nizamuddin, while discussing we realised one thing. Karims doesnt make any one item where it is the best. What they do is make lots of items at a pretty decent level. So if you go there with a gang and order away lots of dishes, you will have a pretty satisfying experience. But if you go as single person or two, and just order one-two dishes, then you will be dissappointed. Anyways I prefer this branch to the old delhi one. And will tell everyone to avoid the Aurobindo marg branch (two of us got stomach upset from the chicken, and there was one of us who just ate the gravy but didn't touch the chicken, he was fine.)

Last edited by manolin : 11th April 2013 at 17:18.
Old 11th April 2013, 17:23   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Colonel kebabs in def col market? Though personally I don't like that place - pricy, and not too tasty.

Take your pick

MI meat suppliers
Attachment 1072264
Holy cow! Is that one serving of roasted chicken you have there?

My bad though, I was looking for a place that sells tikki-style kebabs. For the regular kebabs, Def Col has a couple of joints and so does the 'under the flyover' market in Lajpat Nagar - 1.

I'll definitely go to MI Meat Suppliers for the roasted chicken and pakoras.

Will also try Sab ki khatir for the tikki kebabs, by the way what's the hidden joke with kakori kebabs being too soft?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks