Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:58   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
... Spot on!! Its in Kamal Cinema compound only.
Route sounded familiar.

The road near that was our cycling route from home (Malviya Nagar) to school (No.1, Sarojini Nagar) ages back. But for Kamal Cinema, that area was almost sunsaan biyaban in those days. It is unrecognizable now. And that back road from Green Park to Sarojini Nagar, which didn't have a name in my time, is now called "Chaudhary Jhandu Singh Marg"?
Old 6th November 2012, 13:11   #452
BHPian

completely agree. the entire area does have some little known gems.
Though for the best buff kebab (seekh) in the city, please do go to old delhi. Take a metro, get down at chawri bazaar. Take exit towards chawri bazaar and start moving towards lal kuan (left of junction). After 200 mts, you will find hamdard dawakhana on your left and bang opposite that sit ustad moinuddin : probably the best kebabchi in entire delhi. A single seekh for 7 rs and it justs melt in the mouth. Finish the outing by awesome kheer at bade miyan while returning back to chawri bazaar station (100 mts or so) or go to sitaram bazaar for kulfi at kuremal.

pure bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
If you guys don't mind little run-down localities; visit Batla House (in Jamia) for excellent and cheap non-veg stuff.

Try mutton nihari and butter chicken at Moonis Kada, Al Umar's special chicken, buff kebabs bang opposite Al Umar and biryani at Al Nawaj.
Old 6th November 2012, 14:15   #453
BHPian

Maa Tara restaurant, CR Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
ustad moinuddin : probably the best kebabchi in entire delhi. A single seekh for 7 rs and it justs melt in the mouth.
seems like a super recommendation, may try this tomorrow.

Went to CR Park market no.2 yesterday, for some bengali food. Went to Maa Tara restaurant.
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR-201211051696_q1_q1_q1_q1.jpg

Had prawns malai curry (3 big prawns), chicken kasha, alu posto + rice+chapatis and misti doi. Bill for 2 was Rs. 700.

Tasty food, maybe overpriced by 150 bucks (but prawns in Delhi are way too costly). Since having (very conveniently) the mother dairy misti doi, the novelty has faded off a bit - but the doi here was quite good - I guess they must be getting it from the Annapurna sweet shop which is just around the corner.

Most people were eating the non veg thali.

Decor/seating - nothing to speak of - reasonably clean.

Will i go again - yeah, this is among the better ones of the bengali food joints in Delhi. Also City of Joy and Oh Cal are way too over priced.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:55   #454
BHPian

Here's a blog on eating out in Delhi- http://dillidaawat.wordpress.com/
Old 7th November 2012, 12:54   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Arre yaar.. these are something I REALLY want to try out someday. You got my tastebuds running buddy!!
Now I've become almost a regular there. Yesterday I went there third time and three weeks and had awesome food as always. Damages - less than 500 for 4 people...
Old 12th November 2012, 10:14   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I've become almost a regular there. Yesterday I went there third time and three weeks and had awesome food as always. Damages - less than 500 for 4 people...
Is the road motorable? I mean if I take my car across, would there be any issues with parking. Can you please guide me the exact location..
Old 17th November 2012, 16:54   #457
Senior - BHPian

I will be in Delhi at 20th and 21st of the coming week for some business meetings. The means of transport will be Metro, any suggestions for places to try out? Also, I love the Rajma Rice any famous place near New Delhi Railway Station?
Old 17th November 2012, 16:57   #458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Directions and details please
Old 17th November 2012, 23:29   #459
Senior - BHPian

Folks living near dwarka, Try gol gappe's at Aggarwal, Dwarka. The taste is pretty good, I am a regular there.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 17th November 2012, 23:53   #460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Folks living near dwarka, Try gol gappe's at Aggarwal, Dwarka. The taste is pretty good, I am a regular there.
Agree. Here is my review on another forum

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/rest...dwarka-t22387/
Old 20th November 2012, 12:35   #461
BHPian

Sitaram Diwanchan are nearby in chuna mandi at paharganj (rickshaw ride/10 min walk) on paharganj side for chole bhature.

No idea about Rajma Rice nearby. Chandni chowk is nearby from metro, just one station away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I will be in Delhi at 20th and 21st of the coming week for some business meetings. The means of transport will be Metro, any suggestions for places to try out? Also, I love the Rajma Rice any famous place near New Delhi Railway Station?
Old 20th November 2012, 14:04   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised
NDLS?
If you can,get out from the metro at pallika,get into an auto,tell him to take you LIC building on sansad marg,in front of the police station.
Take the gali to get to the back of the lic building.
There youll find 3 shops doling out quickie meals. Hit on their rajma chawal, and also, dont miss the amritsari naan.

Its basically a place for lunch for working people,and youll see quite a few suits eating in parked cars.
There is no seating,fyi.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:52   #463
Senior - BHPian

For Rajma Chawal, Kadi Chawal, Shahi Paneer Chawal.. best place is Shankar Market, C.P.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:12   #464
lsp
BHPian

Hi Deepak

While Sitaram does have a legendary history, the current fare they are dishing out is nothing so great. Also I was never a fan of his (Pre fried) heated bhature. I ate there less than a week ago.

IMHO Odeon Sweets in Gole Market, 2-3 kms from New Delhi Railway Station has much better Chole Bhature to offer.

Walk down from Odeon sweets till Galina/Sagar to sample some Tandoori delecacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
Sitaram Diwanchan are nearby in chuna mandi at paharganj (rickshaw ride/10 min walk) on paharganj side for chole bhature.

No idea about Rajma Rice nearby. Chandni chowk is nearby from metro, just one station away.

As for Rajma Rice, go down till Super Bazaar on the outer circle on Connaught Place (again 2-3 kms from New Delhi Railway Station) just before the fire station/Barakhamba Road. When you reach there, preferably during lunch hour(s), just look for a mob of people standing and gobbling food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:05   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be visiting Delhi next month and will be staying a good week or two. Would appreciate recommendations for :-

1. Punjabi style tandoori delicacies

2. Lucknowi style kebabs/biryani etc

3. Best Rajma Chawal, Kadi Chawal etc

4. Best Gol Gappas, Samosa, Kachori etc

Will be staying near Karol Bagh (Rajinder Nagar) so nearby places would be even more appreciated.

Btw, I am not looking to dine at fancy restuarants but, small quaint dhabas, smaller but neat restuarants to get the real flavour of Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks