Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 04:58   #376
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Personal tastes vary, I did try Mamagato, but found the other two better. In fact Joy Luck Moon in Select City Walk is another VFM Chinese joint.
*Mammagrotto*

They make an awesome bacon wrapped prawns

Actually very good starters. and general food. Personally prefer them to Chi.
Old 5th January 2012, 21:50   #377
BHPian

01/01/2012

Had a lovely meal once again at Dimsum Bros in Ambiance Mall, Gurgaon.

Started off with a Tom Yum soup.

Opted for 6 Non-Veg Dimsum baskets, which included 1 premium selection and 5 classic - Ordered a variety of awesome tasting dimsums/Buns - Shrimp, Fish, Chicken, Pork and Prawns accompanied with 2 glasses of Coke. Closed the deal with their famous 'Death by Chocolate' for dessert which comes with home made coffee ice cream on the side!

Damages: Rs 2,833.00. This included an additional 10% service charge since this is applicable on all national holidays now.

Verdict: Superb Food. Costly, but absolutely ZERO regrets.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 21:53   #378
Team-BHP Support

^^ I agree. Costly, but the food is heavenly, especially the rice wrapped dimsums
Old 7th January 2012, 11:34   #379
Senior - BHPian

Recently I've been frequenting the food court at Moments Mall, Kirti Nagar.
They have Nizzams (Resturant not in the Food Court) (Karim's & Subway Opening shortly) KFC, Bercos, a Pizza Outlet, Giani's IceCream, Haldiram's and one or two more, I can't remember.
Best for me its just 2-3 KMS from my house and while coming back at night, doesnt take more than 5-7 mins
Old 7th January 2012, 21:00   #380
Team-BHP Support

@mayankk - thanks a ton for all the street food suggestions you gave me on this thread. I went to the Sarojini nagar aloo tikki place and that thing was out of the world man! I haven't eaten aloo tikki like that ever! I'm wondering whether I should spend the rest of the trip at the auto expo or at the other street food places you mentioned

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th January 2012 at 21:04.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 12:50   #381
BHPian

Top drive-in tikka place recommendation - Sab ki Khatir on Lodhi Road. It comes right after after the petrol pump, when coming from Nizamuddin flyover. Its in a stall in the service lane.

Awesome ambience - chilly winter air, wide fairly empty road (at night) in front. Lots of trees around. No noise, no musak.

Heritage - originally used to be in Nizamuddin dargah area along with Ap Ki Khatir, and was one of the best places for Kakori kebabs in Delhi. They got shut down by MCD in Nizamuddin (Ap ki Khatir still operates there, quietly without the sign boards). When queried with the SKK owner about if they are related to AKK, he said it is mentality thing ~ SKK is for greater good, AKK is for selfish personal good. Anyways good is very good, when kebabs are made like at both these places.

Things to order - (in following order) Chai, Kakori kebabs, Mutton Tikka (or Mutton Burra if they have it), Gilawati kebabs, Chicken Tikka, Kakori rolls, followed by Phirni.

If you want some rich gravy then do try the mutton/chicken korma. Do not try the Biryani, its not great.

There are tables and chairs to sit comfortably. These guys have kept the stall area quite clean. And there is acres of space to park your car (which was hard to do in Nizamuddin).

It is not a cheap joint. Bill can easily be Rs. 300-400 per person if you are in a mood for gormandizing.

Last edited by manolin : 28th January 2012 at 12:52.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:08   #382
BHPian

1) Boheme in Hauz Khas Village. - above Gunpowder on the terrace (5th floor, only stairs). Continental food. Spectacular ambience (at least in winter) where you look down on the entire Hauz of Hauz Khas. Easy relaxed vibe, with soft techno playing (like in any Goan shack).Food was decent. Rs. 350 for entries. take camera along.

2) Gray Garden in Hauz Khas Village (motto - slow food and slow shopping) - consists of side by side boutique and cafe. continental food. Great pizzas - recommended for that in Delhi. Its 2 steps ahead of Gunpowder in the same tiny galli, with limited seating space, which spills over into the footpath (which is IMHO where you should seat as it feels very open open types).
Old 7th February 2012, 14:38   #383
BHPian

West Delhi Favourites :

I have lived in the same house, in the same locality in West Delhi's food Mecca - Rajouri Garden since the last 22+ years (will be 23 in March)

I have adapted to and have been adopted by West Delhi and needless to say, the food habits have seen a complete change.

Some favourite joints frequented by my husband and me and our 3 kids (out of whom the eldest and youngest seem to love nature and thrive best on air and water only; the middle one is open to eating anything edible).

1. Wok in the Clouds :
Pub like ambience, interiors aredone up in wood. Good music, music of your choice can be requested. Dedicated for family outings is a complete floor on the 2nd level; hall in the basement. Must try items - Murg Patiala, Chinese Snacks esp. Chicken Dragon Rolls, Dal Makhani, Pineapple Raita. Meal for a family - INR 2000.

2. Malgudi : South Indian vegeterian menu is much more than Idly, Dosa, Vada routine. How much more can be evident by looking at the Menu itself. The variation of the normal paratha as a Malabar version is delicious. Meal for a family : INR 2000

3. The Dhaba : Must try item is the extra creamy and buttery Butter Chicken. The Dal Makhani tastes very different here. The gobhi ka achar served on the house is too good. Paranthas are made of whole wheat atta and are wholesome and delicious. A truck parked in the middle of the joint and walls done up in mud complete the village ambience. Meal for a family : INR 1250.

4. Punjabi By Nature : In house speciality is the Mutton with a distictive flavour of cloves and the kebabs - both veg. & non-veg. Paratha and Roti sizes are equal to that of a full plate. Must try the Missi Roti. The menu is limited, but each preparation is truly delicious. Meal for a family : INR 2250

to be contd......

Last edited by noopster : 8th February 2012 at 10:29. Reason: Please read our posting rules closely,especially Rule 11!
Old 7th February 2012, 16:19   #384
BHPian

Having never been abroad, I have always wondered about something I read in all these travel brochures - the idea of cozing up in a café with a book. Apparently that’s the done thing over a weekend. Reading a book, and drinking endless cups of coffee. That’s how it is described. I had to start somewhere, I started with drinking coffee – from the office expresso machine. Double ristretto with quarter spoonful of sugar. I was gradually hooked. The daze through which I typically passed my day cleared. After a month, I was ready for coffee. I knew my expresso. My filter coffee. My affogato. My ristretto.

The best Café Turtle.

I think it’s the veg menu which does it. Introduced to it, in 2008 by a friend, whereupon we ended up spending 4 hours in it.

It is always accompanied by a random high priced book shop called the Full Circle. The collection of books tells you that its a bookshop for the artsy types, not for booklovers – as in there are good books, but they are all books you have heard of or read about. There is little chance of books which are undiscovered gems, or if known, have been untraceable. That’s what a good bookstore should be.

Typically when shown a veg conti menu, I end up asking for and eating hummus with pita bread, and more hummus and more bread. But here, the thing to try are various quiche on offer. Warmed and to go perfectly with strong coffee. The fact that the coffees are priced at a reasonable Rs. 90 odd, when the food is priced at Rs. 200 shows that the places takes its pretentiousness only to a limit. Somewhere, there are a bunch of café lovers managing it.

So at the rate of ordering 1 thing, be it food or drink every 45 minutes, one can sit here for 4 hours, finish half a book, be completely alert on a caffeine high, and be reasonably full. And yet have spent only Rs. 600 rupees. But that is not good enough. To try the good, leave aside the busy as hell, Khan Market one. Get into the terrace section of the Café Turtle at G.K. 1 N block, or even better, go to the quiet leafy backlane of Nizamuddin East for an empty quiet reading room, the Café Turtle. Bought 5 books there.

Last edited by manolin : 7th February 2012 at 16:35.
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 00:14   #385
BHPian

HKV (hauz khas village) seems to have one new eatery opening up every other week. I believe more than 20 restaurants have opened up in last one year. The biggest problem with all these places is they are not consistent. One day are good, another day bad.
For me Boheme is good enough only for view. Food is not so good.
The best places in hkv, which manage to be little consistent as well good food:-
elma's tea room cafe(probably the best place in hkv)
gunpowder
yeti
futomaki

naivedyam used to be fav but they have toned down their food in favor of foreigners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
1) Boheme in Hauz Khas Village. - above Gunpowder on the terrace (5th floor, only stairs). Continental food. Spectacular ambience (at least in winter) where you look down on the entire Hauz of Hauz Khas. Easy relaxed vibe, with soft techno playing (like in any Goan shack).Food was decent. Rs. 350 for entries. take camera along.

2) Gray Garden in Hauz Khas Village (motto - slow food and slow shopping) - consists of side by side boutique and cafe. continental food. Great pizzas - recommended for that in Delhi. Its 2 steps ahead of Gunpowder in the same tiny galli, with limited seating space, which spills over into the footpath (which is IMHO where you should seat as it feels very open open types).
Old 15th February 2012, 12:57   #386
Senior - BHPian

Was browsing through FED and BCM touring, where I got to know that a fella had opened up a eatery by the name of Nawab's at Sec-7, Noida. I've been given to understand that its basically a take away and that they focus on home deliveries. (Never went there personally but rather had sent my peon on 2 different occasions).
A.W.E.S.O.M.E. is the one word to describe the quality of food. The chicken is superbly fresh, with just the right mix of spices. Would rate them at par (if not better!) with the Indian Restaurants in Five Star Hotels in Delhi.

Only drawback is the amount of gravy served.

2 young fellows run this show (Apoorva and Gaurav) and I would recommend the following (what I had):

1. Chicken Kali Mirch;
2. Chicken Laqnavi Style;
3. Warqi Parantha;
4. Ulte Tawe ka Parantha.

The address is Nawabs - The Taste of Lucknow, D-158, Sector 7, Noida Phone number [011 49422222 ext:634].

A Must try for all the food lovers..
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 17:07   #387
BHPian

have been hearing a lot about this place for a while now. my office is just 2 kms away from this place. So it makes sense that i check them out asap. The only reason i have been hesitant to do so is the upcoming trip to lucknow in feb.
Probably after that whenever hunger pangs for chicken kali mirch and boti kebab will come. hope they are as good as sakhawat or dastarkhawn eateries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Was browsing through FED and BCM touring, where I got to know that a fella had opened up a eatery by the name of Nawab's at Sec-7, Noida. I've been given to understand that its basically a take away and that they focus on home deliveries. (Never went there personally but rather had sent my peon on 2 different occasions).
A.W.E.S.O.M.E. is the one word to describe the quality of food. The chicken is superbly fresh, with just the right mix of spices. Would rate them at par (if not better!) with the Indian Restaurants in Five Star Hotels in Delhi.

Only drawback is the amount of gravy served.

2 young fellows run this show (Apoorva and Gaurav) and I would recommend the following (what I had):

1. Chicken Kali Mirch;
2. Chicken Laqnavi Style;
3. Warqi Parantha;
4. Ulte Tawe ka Parantha.

The address is Nawabs - The Taste of Lucknow, D-158, Sector 7, Noida Phone number [011 49422222 ext:634].

A Must try for all the food lovers..
Old 15th February 2012, 20:33   #388
Senior - BHPian

All American Diner: India Habitat Centre

Delicious breakfast. Lovely pancakes, hash browns, thick syrup, french toast... you name it! Great spread
Definitely worth a visit for breakfast lovers. A filling breakfast will cost about 800 per person.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:17   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
. hope they are as good as sakhawat or dastarkhawn eateries.
anyday better.. forgot to mention that for veggies, Paneer Kali Mirch and Malai Kofta are worth trying!
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:38   #390
Senior - BHPian

Restaurant Visited: Gali Paranthe Wali, Sec-3, NN Mall, Rohini.

Experience: HORRIBLE.

Ordeal:

Decided to take a plunge and take my family out to this place.

The ambience was good and it took us less than 10 min to find a table for ourselves.

Went ahead and ordered couple of dishes along with the ‘overpriced’ paranthas.

After 25 minutes or so and repeated reminders, we were finally served with cold parathas/naan and hot dish portions.

Nevertheless, the first bite and voila! two hairs in my mouth. What the heck!.. why are we paying exorbitantly high for a paranha/naan with hygiene standards less than that of a roadside dhaba.

Furious, we called for the manager, who started giving us all the reasons on the planet earth in his “Haryanvi” english that our chefs wear cap and this is impossible (probably he took us as like we were to have free food).. When we showed him it was indeed the first bite..he went inside the kitchen, came out with a fresh parantha and accepted the mistake.

While we were about to finish, we spotted another hair in the parantha (last serving). We called up for the same guy (who was busy attending to other shouting customers) & explained him the situation.

He requested to leave the left over parantha so that he can show it to the concerned ‘chef’. By that time, we’d almost finished the food, so we didn’t order for more.

When I asked for the owners details so as to pass on the feedback, he told us to fill the feedback form and mention specifically about the chef’s mistake and assured that it would reach the management.

No feedback received.

Service and feedback levels are next to ‘pathetic’!

Breads are TERRIBLY overpriced (heck! Rs. 150-200 per stuffed normal sized parantha -- Even 'Machhan' at 'The Taj' offer unlimited assortment of breads for 175 on table service!)

Staff attitude was not up to the mark.

A DEFINITE AVOID.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed