Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 14:35   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not know if I have said it before. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

There is no better place in the world for North-west Frontier cuisine than Bukhara at the ITC Maurya. I had the good fortume of visiting it again this time in Delhi and it left me stunned. Again.

Go only if money os no object or someone else is paying.

A single Bukhara Naan (it's HUGE) is for 2800/- plus tax.

With no wines and champagnes expect an average bill of 5000/- per head for an excellent meal. What an amazing place.

Avoid the stool seating in the centre of the restaurant though, my back hurts after a while.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:38   #227
Team-BHP Support

Is it possible to get the menu of the bukhara (with the prices ) online ?
Old 13th January 2009, 15:42   #228
Senior - BHPian

Sam you are lucky that you got a seat there. Out of the 4 times I have been there was only able to get the seat once, that too because we reached there at 7:30pm.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:06   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If i remember correctly its Rs. 450 including taxes.
Which month would that be?.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:33   #230
BHPian

Try Fresco right next door to Punjab grill. Medeteranian cuisine for 450 (lunch buffet) is a steal !!
Old 13th January 2009, 18:16   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is it possible to get the menu of the bukhara (with the prices ) online ?
They will probabaly charge you for looking at the web site

IMO - Bukhara food though insanely good is a $$$$$$ too many!! Was 850/- for a paneer tikka last I went about 2 years back . Should be more now if inflation is anything to go by.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:15   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I do not know if I have said it before. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

There is no better place in the world for North-west Frontier cuisine than Bukhara at the ITC Maurya. I had the good fortume of visiting it again this time in Delhi and it left me stunned. Again.

Go only if money os no object or someone else is paying.

A single Bukhara Naan (it's HUGE) is for 2800/- plus tax.

With no wines and champagnes expect an average bill of 5000/- per head for an excellent meal. What an amazing place.

Avoid the stool seating in the centre of the restaurant though, my back hurts after a while.
I would recommend Dum Pukht over Bukhara anyday

1. The Dal is exactly the same at both places (same hotel, to be expected)
2. You get the best Biryani in the world at Dum Pukht (you can small the flavors for halfway across the restaurant). Bukhara doesn't serve anything made with rice.
3. Dum Pukht has infinitely more comfortable seating

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Is it open 24 hours? What is the menu like?
Yes, its called Cafe 24

Since its a coffee shop, menu includes a whole mish-mash of cuisines. The desserts are avg. though you must try the Dal Kandahari with tawa parantha.
Old 15th January 2009, 14:20   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Don't you know that for us Delhittes, everything below Rajasthan is Madras! (Yeah some exceptions!)

Only one phrase for you ""Travel More !!?? ""
Old 27th January 2009, 19:40   #234
Team-BHP Support

The Chinese, CP, New Delhi

It was mom's birthday and we had decided to go to Zen in CP for dinner. At the last moment, someone recommended a Chinese restaurant called The Chinese ( How innovative !! ). Since we had not tried this place and it came as a recommendation from one of the connoisseurs of food, we decided to give it a try.

Location: CP. From the inner circle, take a left from Q'ba (another good restaurant). There is a petrol pump on your left. Go into a smallish lane opposite and perpendicular to the pump. On the right would be a Maruti showroom (Continental Motors) and then "The Chinese".

There is limited space to park and hence it is advisable to park near the petrol pump and walk up to the place, a distance of not more than 100m or so.

The experience: One look at the place and you know that it is trying to sell itself as a Chinese restaurant. However, I have been to a lot of places that look Chinese but serve Chin-Jabi food so had my doubts.

It was quite early on a Thursday (8:15 PM) and the place was only 25-30% full. Apart from us and another family (and a sardarji who was the manager), everyone else was Chinese (Well, they could have been Japanese for all I know, but they were all Oriental ). That kind of made me think of the place as an actual Chinese restaurant - a place where Chinese people eat has to be authentic. And I was not mistaken.

Food: The recommendation was to order spicy stuff since the other dishes could be a little too bland for our taste. This was kept in mind
Started with Soups - Prawn and some veg one. Fantastic.
Starters:
Crispy Chicken: Very good and tasty.
Lamb: Out of this world. I have never had a better lamb appetizer ever. Very soft, tender, juicy and cooked to perfection. Just as lamb should be.
Crispy Fried Potatoes: Did not taste but was given a thumbs up by the veg members if the family.
Main Course: One veg dish called Three Brothers (AFAIR). It was peas, corns and one more thing mixed, something I have never tasted at any other chinese place. Again, I did not eat it but it got a Wow rating from Mom and Wife !!
Chicken Schezwan was WOWOWOW. Again, very tender chicken and cooked to perfection. It was absolutely yummy.

Rice and noodles were very well done. I don't recall having better fried rice anywhere else.
Desert: We ordered friend noodles dipped in Honey with Ice cream. It was the first time I had this dish so cannot compare it with any other place but will definitely order it again.

Service: First rate. The stewards knew about the dishes and were helpful enough to recommend choice of dish and quantity. I was pretty impressed with the restaurant and chatted for a while with the manager who told me that the place employed Chinese chefs and was 4.5 years old !. What the heck, I think they need to improve their marketing skills.

Prices: The above meal cost us 2700 bucks for 6 people (includes 2 cokes and a fresh lime soda) and we were absolutely full by the time we finished. The quantities (except the soup) are very reasonable. Drinks are reasonably priced too

What is not good ?
The linen - It could have been better.
Lighting - A corner of our table was virtually dark.
There are some dishes that are available but not listed on the menu.
Our table was surrounded by Chinese families who seemed to be a little too loud for our comfort, but that was towards the end so did not mind it much

Overall Rating: 4.5 stars.

PS: I was so impressed that I broke my own rule, tipped them inspite of a 10% service charge being levied.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:56   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
They will probabaly charge you for looking at the web site

IMO - Bukhara food though insanely good is a $$$$$$ too many!! Was 850/- for a paneer tikka last I went about 2 years back . Should be more now if inflation is anything to go by.
+1

Admitted the food is wow! but when u pay 1200!! bucks for 4 potatoes (stuffed potato starter) its ridicolous!!

And yes - horrible seating!

Elito
Old 27th January 2009, 22:34   #236
BHPian

The place is actually owned by a group of indian enterpreneurs who have a chain of indian restaurants in China who later expanded into India with this restaurant, Hence the easy access to good authentic chinese chefs.

Apart from the regular menu, they have what is called the chefs special menu which has some truly authentic Chinese dishes apart from the sino-punjabi ones we are all used to.

Truly a great place and definitely bang for the buck.

Quote:
It was mom's birthday and we had decided to go to Zen in CP for dinner. At the last moment, someone recommended a Chinese restaurant called The Chinese ( How innovative !! ). Since we had not tried this place and it came as a recommendation from one of the connoisseurs of food, we decided to give it a try.

Location: CP. From the inner circle, take a left from Q'ba (another good restaurant). There is a petrol pump on your left. Go into a smallish lane opposite and perpendicular to the pump. On the right would be a Maruti showroom (Continental Motors) and then "The Chinese".

There is limited space to park and hence it is advisable to park near the petrol pump and walk up to the place, a distance of not more than 100m or so.

The experience: One look at the place and you know that it is trying to sell itself as a Chinese restaurant. However, I have been to a lot of places that look Chinese but serve Chin-Jabi food so had my doubts.

It was quite early on a Thursday (8:15 PM) and the place was only 25-30% full. Apart from us and another family (and a sardarji who was the manager), everyone else was Chinese (Well, they could have been Japanese for all I know, but they were all Oriental ). That kind of made me think of the place as an actual Chinese restaurant - a place where Chinese people eat has to be authentic. And I was not mistaken.

Food: The recommendation was to order spicy stuff since the other dishes could be a little too bland for our taste. This was kept in mind
Started with Soups - Prawn and some veg one. Fantastic.
Starters:
Crispy Chicken: Very good and tasty.
Lamb: Out of this world. I have never had a better lamb appetizer ever. Very soft, tender, juicy and cooked to perfection. Just as lamb should be.
Crispy Fried Potatoes: Did not taste but was given a thumbs up by the veg members if the family.
Main Course: One veg dish called Three Brothers (AFAIR). It was peas, corns and one more thing mixed, something I have never tasted at any other chinese place. Again, I did not eat it but it got a Wow rating from Mom and Wife !!
Chicken Schezwan was WOWOWOW. Again, very tender chicken and cooked to perfection. It was absolutely yummy.

Rice and noodles were very well done. I don't recall having better fried rice anywhere else.
Desert: We ordered friend noodles dipped in Honey with Ice cream. It was the first time I had this dish so cannot compare it with any other place but will definitely order it again.

Service: First rate. The stewards knew about the dishes and were helpful enough to recommend choice of dish and quantity. I was pretty impressed with the restaurant and chatted for a while with the manager who told me that the place employed Chinese chefs and was 4.5 years old !. What the heck, I think they need to improve their marketing skills.

Prices: The above meal cost us 2700 bucks for 6 people (includes 2 cokes and a fresh lime soda) and we were absolutely full by the time we finished. The quantities (except the soup) are very reasonable. Drinks are reasonably priced too

What is not good ?
The linen - It could have been better.
Lighting - A corner of our table was virtually dark.
There are some dishes that are available but not listed on the menu.
Our table was surrounded by Chinese families who seemed to be a little too loud for our comfort, but that was towards the end so did not mind it much

Overall Rating: 4.5 stars.

PS: I was so impressed that I broke my own rule, tipped them inspite of a 10% service charge being levied.
Old 27th January 2009, 22:49   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishg View Post
Apart from the regular menu, they have what is called the chefs special menu which has some truly authentic Chinese dishes apart from the sino-punjabi ones we are all used to.
I actually think its the other way round. The normal menu has the authentic dishes and the ones are not listed are the chinajbi ones.

Eg: Manchurian (which,contrary to popular belief, is not a Chinese dish) is not listed in the main menu but is available on order.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:44   #238
BHPian

Quote:

Eg: Manchurian (which,contrary to popular belief, is not a Chinese dish) is not listed in the main menu but is available on order.
Yes true..The famous "Manchurian" was invented by Nelson Wang of China Garden fame and has since been available for us desis all over the world.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:39   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Sam you are lucky that you got a seat there. Out of the 4 times I have been there was only able to get the seat once, that too because we reached there at 7:30pm.
I have always called them on the morning of the dinner and they have always been very courteous and kind.
However the last time we had a reservation for 8.30 and we were given our table at 9.30pm - we waited for an hour in the pre-function area (which wasn't that bad, I'm just making a fuss)

I've been to Bukhara often and sadly, not once to Dum Pukht. I must change that.
Old 28th January 2009, 17:41   #240
BHPian

There is this BBQ place on Shanker Road/Rajender Nagar called: Bridges. We've been getting home delivery done almost once a week - The Dal is the best around here. And the kebabs/tikkas are all very very good.

Some people have also told me that they've not had better Burra kebabs than theirs. Better than Al-Kauser IMHO as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks