Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 21:28   #2281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels
I would rather watch 'Pulp Fiction' once again.
Are You saying what I am thinking You are!
'Pulp Fiction' was fantastic.
Old 10th January 2009, 02:55   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I So no need to get our inflated ego hurt that someone showed our dirty linen in public.
Secondly, don't all these things really happen in India? Blinding people for begging, people living in slums, riots etc etc? If someone has shown that then what's wrong in it? And what would anyone expect a slum dweller to have? A Beemer or Merc to carry the rags, or a palace to live and 5 course dinner? What shown was very hard-hitting truth for us.
Agreed, all these do happen in India. Only thing wrong in it is the west's obsession with it. And one can't aim Oscars the other way round. Can't recall a scene that wasn't gloomy and depressing. Out and out jury pleasing shots. As someone mentioned no where was the brighter part of mumbai shown.

Quote:
Didn't we started eating burgers and pizzas afer we moved to big cities? Whereas as a child we even haven't heard about them. So what's wrong about the Don asking for Sandwiches? Things does change with time.
Exactly. We started eating these fancy stuff only after moving into big cities at home one still needs dal roti(traditional stuff). But then dal roti wouldn't make sense to Oscar's jury, right.

Quote:
I mean, we still have status attached to one's work. We still have our differences. Our behavior changes depending on the status of that person we are talking to. There are many such examples and we are still not egalitarian society in India, yet. I know many have changed but we still have a long way to go before we start respecting all kind of work as equal.
This is because of the income difference in different professions. In a developed economy the difference between the income of blue collared and white collared profession is too narrow. One can lead a respectable life being a plumber. Not so in developing economy.
Any way this has nothing to do with the film. Every one likes Rags to riches story. Can you see the irony that Boyle is trying to sell "Rags to Riches" story to the very same audience whom he shows mocking the chaiwallah in the movie. Isn't it paradoxical.

Quote:
And about the west not depicting it's dark side? oh come on, they did, in many movies. Have you seen "Pursuit of happiness"? Does that mean that everyone in US is leaving poor and have to think about finding a shelter everyday as the protagonist of that movie did?
Right, one shouldn't stereotype an entire society with its vices, which is exactly what Boyle had been doing throughout.

Was kind of disappointed with the solitary response. I was expecting Slumdog fans to tear me into pieces.
Old 10th January 2009, 07:19   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Are You saying what I am thinking You are!
'Pulp Fiction' was fantastic.
Oops... I guess I was not telling what you think I was.

I have seen 'Pulp Fiction' couple of times, in full, in short part and so on aand I can still watch it and not be bored.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 10th January 2009 at 07:20.
Old 10th January 2009, 12:46   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Agreed, all these do happen in India. Only thing wrong in it is the west's obsession with it. And one can't aim Oscars the other way round. Can't recall a scene that wasn't gloomy and depressing. Out and out jury pleasing shots. As someone mentioned no where was the brighter part of mumbai shown.
I feel the story didn't demand to show the glitz-blitz of Mumbai. That's just my thought though. And I probably wouldn't agree to the stereotypical thought about west's obsession stuff. There are people who knows the truth and there are others who don't. That's there everywhere. Even in India there are so many people who think that the people from NorthEast lives in Jungles. Does that mean that every other Indian are also similarly ignorant?

Quote:
Exactly. We started eating these fancy stuff only after moving into big cities at home one still needs dal roti(traditional stuff). But then dal roti wouldn't make sense to Oscar's jury, right.
Even though we eat Daal-Rice (not Roti for me ;-) ) I don't mind having bread-jam or even roti sabji some times.
About the oscar Jury, well that's your perception about them, may be right or may be wrong.

Quote:
This is because of the income difference in different professions. In a developed economy the difference between the income of blue collared and white collared profession is too narrow. One can lead a respectable life being a plumber. Not so in developing economy.
True, I guess you may be right here.

Quote:
Any way this has nothing to do with the film. Every one likes Rags to riches story. Can you see the irony that Boyle is trying to sell "Rags to Riches" story to the very same audience whom he shows mocking the chaiwallah in the movie. Isn't it paradoxical.
Not all Rags to riches movie succeeds and that's my point. If a movie has to succeed then there has to be something more to it. Be it story, acting,direction or whatsoever. May be you don't like it the way it was portraid, so lets be it. It's your opinion and I gave mine.

Quote:
Right, one shouldn't stereotype an entire society with its vices, which is exactly what Boyle had been doing throughout.
I guess he is trying to make a movie here not to make stereotypes.

Quote:
Was kind of disappointed with the solitary response. I was expecting Slumdog fans to tear me into pieces.
Well I'm neither a fanboy of SM, infact I even said that this movie is not a masterpiece as it hyped it to be. But was an entertaining movie and I liked watching it. There are flaws to it, few things are not related to reality. But if one wants to see the reality then as someone mentioned before, should go and watch NGC or Discovery instead of a movie.
Regards,
Old 10th January 2009, 12:54   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Oops... I guess I was not telling what you think I was.

I have seen 'Pulp Fiction' couple of times, in full, in short part and so on aand I can still watch it and not be bored.
Your comment still implies that Pulp Fiction was an above average movie.

Whereas, it is nothing short of a cult movie. I have seen Pulp Fiction so many times, i am running on my 2 DVD ( Special Series) as the first one got wasted from running so many times and i have most of the dialogues memorized.

In fact, i loved one of the songs in it's movie (Girl, you will be a woman soon) so much, i searched a lot and finally got that song

Another movie that i have abused so many times is Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and same here, i can recite most of the dialogues
Old 10th January 2009, 18:55   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Your comment still implies that Pulp Fiction was an above average movie.

Whereas, it is nothing short of a cult movie. I have seen Pulp Fiction so many times, i am running on my 2 DVD ( Special Series) as the first one got wasted from running so many times and i have most of the dialogues memorized...
I came to know about this movie just about a month back (or was it even lesser). And I have already seen it couple of times!

Guess I am not alone in this. Did not know that it had so many followers!
Old 10th January 2009, 21:42   #2287
BHPian

Bangkok Dangerous

Just finished watching the movie, Bangkok Dangerous starring Nicolas Cage. A nice action packed movie.

I would give it a rating of 4/5.
Old 11th January 2009, 00:48   #2288
Senior - BHPian

so hindi version of ghajini in local theatre.tamil actor surya did better.
Old 11th January 2009, 02:56   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Watched " Click " tonight, a very good watch. Adam Sandler at what he does best.

Here is the plot copy pasted from IMDB

Plot:A workaholic architect finds a universal remote that allows him to fast-forward and rewind to different parts of his life. Complications arise when the remote starts to overrule his choices.
Old 11th January 2009, 10:43   #2290
Team-BHP Support

Ghajini' outstrips DDLJ to become biggest domestic earner. Read here :

'Ghajini' outstrips DDLJ to become biggest domestic earner | Bollywood News - Yahoo! India Movies
Old 12th January 2009, 17:43   #2291
Team-BHP Support

A gripping movie.
Liked it. Rate it high.

Vacancy (2007)
Old 12th January 2009, 18:02   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Saw Kill Bill 1,2 and the Bourne Ultimatum this weekend. Back to Back , what better way to spend a weekend
Old 14th January 2009, 13:03   #2293
BHPian

Finally saw

slumdog millionaire

The movie is good , but regarding the music..

I think AR has given much much better music earlier . Don't know why only he got international award's for this music , and not earlier.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:13   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Star Movies seems to be showing some nice movies around 12ish (am).
I saw "Paparazzi" - about an actor who is chased by Paparazzi who cause an accident and the actor's son goes into coma. Its about how he takes his revenge. Rivetting and well made.
Rating 4*

Ripley Down Under : How a smart Alec takes his friends place (who is an artist) after he dies and makes a fortune.Then the turn of events after someone discovers that the paintings are fake (another guy makes them and signs them in the artist's name).
A very interesting movie, nice twists and turns. Keeps you glued.

Rating 4*
Old 14th January 2009, 13:14   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Star Movies seems to be showing some nice movies around 12ish (am).

Ripley Down Under : How a smart Alec takes his friends place (who is an artist) after he dies and makes a fortune.Then the turn of events after someone discovers that the paintings are fake (another guy makes them and signs them in the artist's name).
A very interesting movie, nice twists and turns. Keeps you glued.

Rating 4*
Saw this movie yesterday night. this is a nice movie with unexpected twists and turns.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks