Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2008, 05:56   #781
Senior - BHPian

Just saw Juno yesterday. A really nice movie though IMO a bit over hyped. A good movie no doubt but nothing that great. What I didnt like with the movie was how unnaturally cool Juno was in the beginning. There are some really touching parts towards the end but some bits were really not that believable. 3.5/5

American Gangster - Saw this one some time ago but was too lazy to write about it. A really well made movie, I really liked it. 3.75/5

Aviator - Saw it again yesterday. An inspiring and very well made movie based on a true story. I really loved it 4/5

Roman Holiday - Classic!! I just love the innocence of old movies.

American Pie Beta House - Ugggh the American Pie franchise has either lost its charm or I have outgrown it. It started going downhill after the first two movies and now its nothing more than a film that kids in the 5th grade can watch and tell their friends that they saw boobs. The movie has nothing to say and no story. Very avoidable 1/5

Last edited by khanak : 15th March 2008 at 06:02.
Old 15th March 2008, 06:11   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The Shawshank Redemption is among the best movies I've seen. MUST watch. The story is a testament to how patient a man can be, when his objective is really clear. The novelette by Stephen King (on which the movie is based) is also a great read. The movie is pretty faithful to the novelette. Total famly movie, except for a bit of uh, gay-prison-rape (very very short and not too un-familyish).

A must watch for sure - one of my favorite movies!!

*Spoiler Alert*

Another thing I took from the movie is how something that would ordinarily seem horrible to one person isnt really that big a deal to the other person. The old man who cant stand life outside prison really makes you think eh?
Old 15th March 2008, 06:12   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops. Missed that part about The Pianist. Also a very good movie. Adrien Brody is just great. Set in WWII context (Hitler's Concentration Camps, et al).
Another REALLY REALLY nice movie. Another similar movie - Life is Beautiful which again is a must watch.
Old 15th March 2008, 09:21   #784
Team-BHP Support

just saw a movie called school for scoundrels. i quite like it. 3/5.
Old 15th March 2008, 13:54   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
just saw a movie called school for scoundrels. i quite like it. 3/5.
If you liked SfS, you'll like Anger Management also. Same kind of comedy. Somewhat similar situation. Thinking about Jack Nicholson in Anger Management is making me grin already .

@ Khanak, that's so true. The lesson I took away from Shawshank Redemption was "Wherever you are, whatever situation you are in, there is always a way. You just need to figure out how you can exploit the (sticky/bad/seemingly helpless) situation you're in".

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th March 2008 at 13:55.
Old 15th March 2008, 14:02   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you liked SfS, you'll like Anger Management also. Same kind of comedy. Somewhat similar situation. Thinking about Jack Nicholson in Anger Management is making me grin already .
Those two movies were way too similar.
Old 15th March 2008, 14:07   #787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

seen that too. great movie.
Old 16th March 2008, 14:41   #788
Senior - BHPian

Just saw No Country for Old Men and really liked it. Some scenes in the movie are really intense. One thing I didnt understand though is the significance of Tommy Lee Jones's dreams in the end. Did anyone understand that part?
Old 16th March 2008, 16:48   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Just saw No Country for Old Men and really liked it. Some scenes in the movie are really intense. One thing I didnt understand though is the significance of Tommy Lee Jones's dreams in the end. Did anyone understand that part?
Took a 5 minute break and saw Michael Clayton. A nice movie but not really as good as it is made out to be. Micheal Clayton's W221 looks really nice though.

Last edited by khanak : 16th March 2008 at 16:51.
Old 16th March 2008, 17:01   #790
Senior - BHPian

============== SPOILER ALERT ==============

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN "NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" YET.

What a coincidence! I just saw the movie again last night too.

Quote:
The dreams were pretty vague.

But if we look at the conversation he had with the old man in the wheelchair (just before he retired), we can understand things a bit. TLJ tells the old man that he feels overmatched. And he says something to the effect that he wouldn't blame even God for not coming into his life, as he was sure he had not done enough to do his duty. TLJ probably felt both helpless and inadequate.

He asks the old man in the wheelchair (his granddad's deputy I think) what he'd (the old man) have done if the criminal he'd sent to deathrow (long back) came back for him (or did not get sent to jail/deathrow). The old man replies that there was nothing he could have done if that happened.

The first dream about losing the money his father had entrusted him with probably stands for his feeling of not having been able to do uphold justice the way it was meant to be. TLJ was probably feeling depressed that he could not become the kind of great lawman his father was.

The second dream about his father riding ahead of him and being at their destination waiting for TLJ is again probably retirement blues talking. And TLJ is probably also hit by the realization that age is catching up on him. TLJ probably thinks that he will join his father in heaven (or hell -- wherever his father went) when his journey on earth comes to an end.

Another spin on the second dream is that his father had shown him the way (he was carrying a torch, and want ahead of TLJ). It was up to TLJ to follow the way of his father, exactly as his father would have. And once he had finished his duties on earth, his gather would be waiting for him in heaven (or hell). But TLJ feels he has not done his duty the way his father would have; he has not really followed his father's footsteps the way he should have, and he feels guilty and ashamed for it.

Yeah, total conjecture but then I think the Coen brothers wanted us to think about this in the end, and that is why the movie ended with TLJ talking about his dreams to his wife.

======================================
Old 16th March 2008, 17:04   #791
Senior - BHPian

Aaah that makes sense.

Thanks
Old 16th March 2008, 17:10   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... A nice movie but not really as good as it is made out to be. ...
Completely agree. And I really can't see how Tilda Swinton deserved the supporting actress Oscar for acting in this movie either. Ok, she acted well, but do they want to say nobody else did a better job in another movie all of the past year? Hmmmm...
Old 16th March 2008, 18:51   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsatish View Post
Saw Michael Clayton last night, awesome acting by George Clooney. But extremely slow moving. You'd need a lot of patience to watch it..
I enjoyed it also except for the blowing of the Merc w220 S -class. I cried. I later on found out it had been earlier chopped into two for filming "The Devil wears Prada". They took the two halves, welded it together and blew it up!
Old 17th March 2008, 00:33   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I enjoyed it also except for the blowing of the Merc w220 S -class. I cried. I later on found out it had been earlier chopped into two for filming "The Devil wears Prada". They took the two halves, welded it together and blew it up!
You mean W221. Some really clever product placement by Mercedes Benz.
Old 17th March 2008, 07:18   #795
Senior - BHPian

Just finished Atonement. Id say its definitely a notch above Michael Clayton and just as good as No Country for Old Men. Very Well Made.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks