Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 16:27   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Maddy,

When did 10 things I hate about you air ? On which channel ? I remember seeing the trailers and had decided to watch it.

When is the re-run ?

EDIT - Any idea of the release date of Slumdog Millionaire in India ? I want to watch it on the big screen - have an awesome print on the lappy but holding myself back ---- just about !
I believe its going to be in theatres on the 26th.
Old 7th January 2009, 16:46   #2252
Senior - BHPian

NC no idea when ten things i hate about you is coming again but i watched it on wednesday last week at nine pm. Sorry for the late reply

Watched slumdog millionaire. Simply brilliant movie. Showed a different color of our country. The acting by the small kids was the best though.
Some parts of the movie i loved were when jamal takes some americans to a dhobi ghat and when he is explaining the Taj mahal in his own story. Simply awesome.
And also Amitabh bachan!!
Old 7th January 2009, 16:55   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Maddy,

When did 10 things I hate about you air ? On which channel ? I remember seeing the trailers and had decided to watch it.

When is the re-run ?

EDIT - Any idea of the release date of Slumdog Millionaire in India ? I want to watch it on the big screen - have an awesome print on the lappy but holding myself back ---- just about !
It is on Start Movies quite frequently. I've seen it twice or thrice during the last month only.

It's a good movie, based on Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew; and stars Heath Ledger
and Julia Stiles.

\N
Old 7th January 2009, 21:45   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Exactly, and that's why he portrays India with jammed nallahs, people emerging from ****, carving an eye out for begging, prostitution, police giving electric shocks to people as a daily routine, people laughing at a chaiwala at KBC. Just the way westerners perceive India, and what the jury at toronto film festival would like India to be portrayed as. Slumdon asks for sandwich when hungry, which clearly tells whom the movie has been made for. I mean would a guy who rose from the slums crave for sandwiches and muffins when hungry?
While portraying India they forget the Indian middle class which is larger than the entire US population and stck to poverty, human rights violation etc. Not that these donot occur here but there is more to India. No this is not the demand of the story, this is the demand of the target audience for whom the movie was made, sitting at western film festivals. How many films depict the dark side of the west or is it free from vices? Why do they send lagaan to Oscars but not RDB, because RDB doesnot portray indians as poor and oppressed and this wouldn't sound palatable to international jury. Basically Boyle has played safe.

Not trying to argue or hurt anyone but trying to see things from a different angle. Personally I found the movie disgusting the way it shows India. the direction and photography however were intelligent.
I would strongly disagree with you on this point. First things first, the movie is not a documentary so basically it is not exactly portraying India as some people are making it out to be. It's a story about a person who lived his childhood in midst of slums and was proverty stricken. Unfortunately that person happened to be from India. So no need to get our inflated ego hurt that someone showed our dirty linen in public.
Secondly, don't all these things really happen in India? Blinding people for begging, people living in slums, riots etc etc? If someone has shown that then what's wrong in it? And what would anyone expect a slum dweller to have? A Beemer or Merc to carry the rags, or a palace to live and 5 course dinner? What shown was very hard-hitting truth for us.
Didn't we started eating burgers and pizzas afer we moved to big cities? Whereas as a child we even haven't heard about them. So what's wrong about the Don asking for Sandwiches? Things does change with time. And about westerner's perceiving India, well things have changed quite a bit in last few decades.
About laughing at the chaiwala, may be it was bit far-fetched the way it was shown. But ask yourself, do we have respect for all kind of work? I mean, we still have status attached to one's work. We still have our differences. Our behaviour changes depending on the status of that person we are talking to. There are many such examples and we are still not egalitarian society in India, yet. I know many have changed but we still have a long way to go before we start respecting all kind of work as equal.
And about the west not depicting it's dark side? oh come on, they did, in many movies. Have you seen "Pursuit of happiness"? Does that mean that everyone in US is leaving poor and have to think about finding a shelter everyday as the protagonist of that movie did? Or is there a killer like Cigurah lurking around the westerns to kill people cold blooded like it shown in "No country for old men"? These may not be very good examples but at these this is what came to my mind.
The movie does have flaws, many of them, so I won't call it a masterpiece. But nevertheless it's a very entertaining movie and realistic in many parts.
And sorry if I've hurt you or anyone with my comments, but after reading so many jingoistic comments about the movie(not just here but in other forums too) I just couldn't stopped myself from posting.
Old 8th January 2009, 01:05   #2255
BHPian

kaushik_s, we all know the truth;
The only concern is there has been too much on the plate of a movie thats winning US audience. Believe me, the Americans (were old) sitting behind me in the theatre were discussing about how poor India is. Maybe the movie is catching up due to this poor portrayal.

It was disheartening to see Indias portrayal and why would I want a UK based producer/director make money exploiting India like this.

PS: Looks like You havent been to the slums for a long time.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 8th January 2009 at 01:06.
Old 8th January 2009, 01:23   #2256
Team-BHP Support

If we don't complain about yash chopra showing every Indian having helicopter and private helipad, why complain about this. After all percentage of indians dying of hunger is much more than percentage of Indians owning a helicopter
Old 8th January 2009, 06:10   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
The only concern is there has been too much on the plate of a movie thats winning US audience. Believe me, the Americans (were old) sitting behind me in the theatre were discussing about how poor India is.
If they think India is poor they should donate $$$. That will be helpful at during this period of recession!
Old 8th January 2009, 06:41   #2258
BHPian

I would be glad to bring the $s back
btw anyone saw "Curious case of Benjamin Button", it was slow to start but logical reasoning apart a wonderfully done screenplay. 4/5
Old 8th January 2009, 11:23   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe me, the Americans (were old) sitting behind me in the theatre were discussing about how poor India is. Maybe the movie is catching up due to this poor portrayal.
Looks like they were noting down tips on how to survive - because the way their economy is going, they would soon be in the same state.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:31   #2260
Senior - BHPian

+1 Tsk totally agree on that. When our industry dishes out movies potraying the shining part why cant we stand to watch something which shows the dark side.
This movie actually shows some places which a person from the same city may not have seen his entire life.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:06   #2261
Senior - BHPian

saw another malayalam film after twenty 20.
"crazy gopalan" *ing Dileep. bad try acc. to me.may be because we(elsewhere EKM district) are so accustomed of this sort of waste comedy tries.Good try for rest of kerala
Old 8th January 2009, 13:03   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
kaushik_s, we all know the truth;
The only concern is there has been too much on the plate of a movie thats winning US audience. Believe me, the Americans (were old) sitting behind me in the theatre were discussing about how poor India is. Maybe the movie is catching up due to this poor portrayal.

It was disheartening to see Indias portrayal and why would I want a UK based producer/director make money exploiting India like this.

PS: Looks like You havent been to the slums for a long time.
Well, the slum scene shown in the movie was from the period a decade(s) back (the setup was from during the communal riots in Mumbai) and we all know how things were then. And actually I don't think much have changed for the lives of people living there. Except the fact that many of these places removed to make way for high-rises(oh yeah, even that was shown in the movie)
And I really doubt that just by showing poverty of India a movie can succeed, if that was the so easy formula for success then everyone would've followed it.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:22   #2263
BANNED

I wouldnt care much about people judging us by looking at a movie. If they are its their ignorance.

How many think every house in the west is broken(with divorces, etc) and everyone sleeps with everyone else and that they dont have any family bonds and they dont have any culture?

90% of Indians think the above is true. Which actually is not the case at all.

So let the movies be. If they are good lets applaud if not get another.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:34   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I wouldnt care much about people judging us by looking at a movie. If they are its their ignorance.

How many think every house in the west is broken(with divorces, etc) and everyone sleeps with everyone else and that they dont have any family bonds and they dont have any culture?

So let the movies be. If they are good lets applaud if not get another.

Its a common misconception that people in the west do not have close ties with family.

hehe, such people should go see Little Miss Sunshine then.
Old 8th January 2009, 14:53   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I believe that " Roads indicate culture of the nation ".
Each and every vice does exist in India but we are as usual capable of covering up and our resources are spent this way.
We at the core are getting weaker and weaker.
We all know the day to day realities we read and come to know.

Movies that portray reality must come up and these must be the only movies in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks