Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 11:37   #2296
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

“The Goldbergs” has a spin-off now called “Schooled” where Barry’s girlfriend Lainey comes back to the same school as a music teacher.
Got this from Wiki so unsure where it is being telecast here.

“Better Call Saul” grows on you as you reach the later seasons. Give it a chance, it is good.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:00   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
... Seinfeld is the all-time best to me.
Since you like Seinfeld, I would recommend "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" on Netflix. You get the best of two worlds. Some unique, gorgeous cars and good insight into comedians. And some laughs on the way.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:40   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Since you like Seinfeld, I would recommend "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" on Netflix. You get the best of two worlds. Some unique, gorgeous cars and good insight into comedians. And some laughs on the way.
It's an amazing show.

I keep going back to the Obama episode and must have watched it like 30 times already!
Old 25th January 2019, 19:41   #2299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
I did try catching a few episodes.. not my kinda comedy though, its just Seinfeld making small-talk with his Hollywood or political buddies. Seinfeld and Larry David are very very influential and have tremendous respect in the entertainment industry as they are the top 2 richest t.v personalities and 3 and 4 overall in the entire industry just after George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is the true re-birth of the show Seinfeld, just that from season 4 onward it simply set the comedy bar much higher, Larry David is the only comedian who can get away with blatant racism, gender-shaming, stereotypes pertaining to each race, religionism, etc etc.. the fun he poked at every systemic evil is downright jaw-dropping. This show gave me belly aches every time I watched.

Special mention to 4 previously unknown people who got together to make It's always Sunny in Philadelphia, like Curb the episodes got funnier and more controversial as the seasons passed, and with the addition of Danny DeVito, things truly got weird, in a great way. These three are the holy trinity of comedies.
Old 25th January 2019, 20:20   #2300
BHPian

Finished Season 2 of The Punisher. Overall okay, because you've are already 5-6 episodes into it, you are almost compelled to finish it. I did not like the pace of the last 3-4 episodes it seemed hushed to an end.

For some odd reasons I don't understand how people keep waking from so many bullets
Old 26th January 2019, 09:58   #2301
Senior - BHPian

How to get away with Murder - Watched Season 1. Interesting murder-crime-thriller. However, the editing seems rushed and things are over-simplified. Also, the climax is poor. Can be watched if you love the genre. Rating - 7/10

Daredevil Season 3 - WOW. Never expected the 3rd season to be so good. The season starts of slowly and ends with a bang. This season introduces a new villain "Bullseye" which along with Kingpin makes the showdown with Daredevil an epic one. The first fight sequence between Bullseye and Daredevil is one of the best action scenes I have seen for comic based superheroes. Simply breathtaking.. I will be extremely sad if Daredevil does not return for Season 4. Rating - 10/10

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Amazon Prime - The first season was edgy and super fun which frankly caught be by surprise. It went on to win 2 Golden Globes and several Emmys. The 2nd season is good but not as great as the season 1. The 2nd season gets distracted from the main plot into several subplots - parents relationship, resort excursions, husbands and in-laws etc. The makers have spent a lot in recreating the 1950's era and the attention to detail is praiseworthy. Thankfully, the season comes back on track after a slow start and finishes on a high. Will look forward to Season 3. Rating - 8/10

Punisher Season 2 - I loved the 1st season of Punisher (10/10). Super excited to watch Season 2. Watched 2 episodes and so far, so good. Though the reviews are not as great as Season 1, I am hopeful.
Old 26th January 2019, 22:34   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Wrapped up The Punisher S02. Clearly the first season was better in terms of the storyline and the progress. This season felt dragging a few episodes through with the story lacking coherence; the roles of some recurring characters from other Marvel series were not justified. Even the violence is toned down. C'mon, this is Frank Castle! He is known to make minced meat out of his adversaries!

Got 10 minutes to spare? Watch this clip:

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th January 2019 at 23:08. Reason: Typo.
Old 7th February 2019, 11:41   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The Mentalist ( Available on Amazon Prime ) 4/5
Patrick Jane acts as the Mentalist , who has a special gift of solving crime scene investigation though his special abilities in figuring out people and situations.
He does this in a very light hearted casual non serious approach to everything.

It is not a new series, but noticed that it was not on this thread.
+1 to this. People who like watching stuff with family would appreciate this family friendly crime drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Person of Interest is a very good and a very under-rated series. The ending is very interesting.
Mid-way through season 2, season 1 was interesting, now I'm getting a little bored of the flow. Not as tight and gripping as i would've liked but good nonetheless.

Question to fellow members: Any recommendations? I am open to any genre, as long as it is unpredictable and thrilling. I've finished almost all of the popular ones from US/UK. I am open to any other languages(I've heard that the French/Israelis got some gripping stuff) as long as subs are easily available.

Last edited by Mukund : 7th February 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Added question to members
Old 7th February 2019, 12:18   #2304
Distinguished - BHPian

Started watching Sex Education on Netflix. Total mental stuff

It's American Pie on steroids, and sans a lot of the silliness. Plus it's Brit, which is always good.

But please...don't let your kids watch this, even accidentally. Netflix has got seriously explicit these days and this show has literally no holds barred.
Old 7th February 2019, 13:32   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

The Punisher - Season 2 : 2 / 5

Fans of season 1 will have a hard time enjoying this one. The only part good is one of the new actors, Giorgia Whigham, who's acting and chemistry with multiple leads is very good. Case in point; a scene where she manipulates a cop while also flirting with him shows her skills. But otherwise, give it a miss. I scanned all 13 episodes in about 4-5 hours over 3 days; and I still think it's not worth it.
Old 7th February 2019, 15:16   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Another thumbs down for Punisher Season 2 (Rating - 4/10). Total waste of time and this coming from someone who absolutely loved the Season 1, rated it 10/10, and was almost fan of this Series. Can't believe Marvel and Netflix came up with something so poorly scripted and narrated lacking coherence and incredibly boring. I think this season practically makes sure that the Punisher series is going to be dead.
The only good Marvel superhero series remaining is Daredevil and that too, is in limbo, with Disney taking over.

Person of Interest is pretty good, but it's getting repetitive (7/10). Nevertheless, good watch if you keep expectations in check. Planning to catch Luther Season 5 soon. Also, rewatching Suits and I am loving it once again.
Old 7th February 2019, 15:24   #2307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Netflix has got seriously explicit these days and this show has literally no holds barred.
Well, you've just given it a 10/10 rating
Old 7th February 2019, 16:59   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Watched a few more

2 Brits:

Collateral (4/5): Well made and acted. More closer to reality than fiction.

Bodyguard (3.5/5): This too is well made and acted, but some scenes make you think "what was the director thinking". Some things in it are unrealistic. Nevertheless, it is worth a watch.

1 American
Manhunt: Unabomber (5/5) - This one is based on true events of the Unabomber, an American domestic terrorist. Following is the description you will find on Wiki

Quote:
"Unabomber (/ˈjuːnəˌbɒmər/), is an American domestic terrorist, former mathematics professor, and anarchist author. A mathematics prodigy, he abandoned an academic career in 1969 to pursue a primitive lifestyle. Between 1978 and 1995, he killed three people and injured 23 others in an attempt to start a revolution by conducting a nationwide bombing campaign targeting people involved with modern technology.

Kaczynski was the subject of the longest and most expensive investigation in the history of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)"
I am surprised no one's mentioned this here.
It took the FBI 17 years to catch him, and they had to resort to unusual means to even know the identity of the person. This series takes us through that process of catching him.
Old 7th February 2019, 17:14   #2309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am surprised no one's mentioned this here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4334633

Hard to not find a recommendation on a popular series on this thread.
Old 7th February 2019, 21:56   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post

Mid-way through season 2, season 1 was interesting, now I'm getting a little bored of the flow. Not as tight and gripping as i would've liked but good nonetheless.
Midway S2 & S3 are a bit slacking but it will get much better again towards the end of S3. S4 & S5 are very well done.

Then there is 'Travelers' too. 3 Seasons, check it out, it's rated pretty high on imdb. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/ I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Every series will have a stage where things are just going on for heck of it, but those that manage to get a grip back are worthy of being some time spent. Hell, I was bored even with GOT in the earlier seasons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks