Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2018, 06:13   #2056
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Watched two seasons of Broadchurch, a gritty murder mystery set in a fictional small town in England on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant cinematography that captures the rugged beauty of the Dorset coast and some solid performances all around.

I actually came across this in the context of another series I was watching, Safe that premiered on Netflix this month. Starring Michael C. “Dexter” Hall, Safe started off promisingly but soon degenerated into a laughable plot line “more akin to Desperate Housewives than Broadchurch” as one reviewer put it.
Old 27th May 2018, 06:44   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Watched two seasons of Broadchurch, a gritty murder mystery set in a fictional small town in England on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant cinematography that captures the rugged beauty of the Dorset coast and some solid performances all around.

I actually came across this in the context of another series I was watching, Safe that premiered on Netflix this month. Starring Michael C. “Dexter” Hall, Safe started off promisingly but soon degenerated into a laughable plot line “more akin to Desperate Housewives than Broadchurch” as one reviewer put it.
Broadchurch is one of my favorite Brit series. Yet to see current season due to backlog. Very underrated.

Completely agree on Safe. Just saw it cos of Michael C Hall. High hopes but was same old formulatic drama. Disappointing.
Old 27th May 2018, 08:06   #2058
BHPian

I have recently finished watching The Office and The West Wing.
Two fantastic shows with excellent writing and matching actors!
Old 27th May 2018, 08:30   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I have recently finished watching The Office and The West Wing.
Two fantastic shows with excellent writing and matching actors!
If you liked The Office, do give "30 Rock" & "Parks & Recreation" a view.
They are fantastic serials and the writing is spot on in the initial seasons.
But no one can ever compare to "Michael Scott". He is an interesting character.
Old 27th May 2018, 08:58   #2060
Distinguished - BHPian

Mcmafia, anyone?
It's like the "shanti" of crime shows. Ponderous and slow, but nice.
Old 27th May 2018, 09:55   #2061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

I also started watching Scorpion. This is based on a true story of a person called Walter Obrien. Great script, good action and all the package.

Attachment 1764228
Scorpion got rather boring after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Mcmafia, anyone?
It's like the "shanti" of crime shows. Ponderous and slow, but nice.
McMafia was brilliant although the last episode was a bit bland
Old 27th May 2018, 13:33   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
If you liked The Office, do give "30 Rock" & "Parks & Recreation" a view
Thank a lot!
Have seen 30 Rock intermittently and liked it. I also like Scrubs for its quirky writing.
I should also mention The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel. It's a fantastic fast paced program with superb production value.

Last edited by avingodb : 27th May 2018 at 13:41.
Old 28th May 2018, 06:49   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Broadchurch is one of my favorite Brit series. Yet to see current season due to backlog. Very underrated.
Maybe that's because there are a number of Brit shows in the same genre out recently. Wallander and Shetland are in similar mould- lots of shots of roaring coast and soaring cliffs with minor chord doomish music in the background. I've started watching both and quite enjoying them as well.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:51   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe that's because there are a number of Brit shows in the same genre out recently. Wallander and Shetland are in similar mould- lots of shots of roaring coast and soaring cliffs with minor chord doomish music in the background. I've started watching both and quite enjoying them as well.
Collateral mini series is also a must watch on netflix.
Old 28th May 2018, 08:51   #2065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm, you're right. I went to the IMBD page of Shetland and there are some good recommendations of similar shows there. Most of them look interesting.
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:26   #2066
Team-BHP Support

Watched and finished, 13 Reason Why Season 2.

It has a slow, boring start but glues you around episode 3 onwards. Some aspects of the storyline could have been better but given the subject, there's only so much leeway.

At times, I wonder if there's a need to show all that is messed up in the world; on other times, I feel, why not when reality is much worse.

3.5/5
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:19   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It has a slow, boring start but glues you around episode 3 onwards.
Cool thanks! I literally saw the first 2 episodes of the new season last week and gave up.
Old 2nd June 2018, 20:26   #2068
Distinguished - BHPian

An older series, but nevertheless, just finished up with the 'The Mentalist' . Got repetitive after a while but the story arc of 'Red John' managed to perk it up every time it was losing steam. Really went off the rails by the middle of season 6 after the Red John case was closed and season 7 was completely unnecessary.

Liked the cast and performances- especially Simon Baker.

Was surprised to see the full season 11 of Big Bang Theory Pop up on Vodafone Play (have a free year subscription due to my mobile plan). Another series that should have ended maybe 2-3 seasons ago.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:15   #2069
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see that there are no more comedies coming out the country which is renowned for slapstick and prop comedies, be it the Three Stooges or Abbott and Costello.. in the late 90's until late 00's (the golden decade for American sitcoms) they turned out monster hit comedies like Seinfeld, Its Always Sunny in Philadephia and Curb Your Enthusiasm. There are apparent comedies and there ARE comedies where gender discrimination, racism, feminism, stereotyping and outright portrayal of man being a self-centered species result in belly-aching laughs.

I'm very hard to please comedy wise, I want dark comedy/black humor and Two and a Half Men was among the last of them.. though it too started to wear off and become incredibly repetitive after season 3. The last time I lost it and laughed was when watching season 12 of Its Always Sunny in Philly and season 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

It was nice to watch Modern Family, or initial seasons of Big Bang Theory.. they had all the ingredients of what life consists of.. romance, drama, angst, peppered with situational humor and a few slapstick line jokes here and there.. I never laughed when watching them and to me they aren't comedies by a mile. Any suggestions? I don't think there are any shows left which would appeal to me.

I tried Taxi, another older sitcom, but unfortunately it too has moments of humor with 90% life issues and romance in it. Danny DeVito is the only redeeming factor.
Old 12th June 2018, 11:05   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Completed both seasons of 'The Missing'. It's been a fantastic journey watching both seasons. The plot and characters literally taken from the neighbourhood, its so real you are totally into it. There's so much content packed in an 8*1 hr show, which makes you think what is the need to make 20 odd episodes with 40 plus minutes content.

Highly recommended! (especially if you are parent)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks