Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 10:39   #2221
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you for the tip-off - absolutely loved the series.

--Anoop
Yup - binge watched this after the recommendation earlier in this thread. This is a hidden gem of sorts. I have been and continue to be a huge fan of Hugh Laurie. The expanse of roles that he does with so much dexterity never ceases to amaze me. From Bertie Wooster in J&W, to House in the titular role, to Blackadder (to name just a few)- this man is supremely talented.

While the Night Manager has Hiddleston in the lead role, the role of Roper is owned by Laurie. Must watch!

The only disappointing aspect was that the series was too short- just 6 episodes. I hear that a second season is on the cards, but it has already been too long since the end of the first season.
Old 13th November 2018, 23:55   #2222
BHPian

Watched House of Cards Season 6, during this long weekend. What a terrible waste of time and money.
It is absolutely ridiculous. The writing as most people have pointed out seemed way off and I felt, the creators just wanted to somehow end the show. The final 3 episodes are hushed in order to manufacture an ending and the last scene; you could see the end coming from a mile away. Robin Wright was the only saving grace with her performance, but even she cannot manage to keep this ship afloat.
Don't waste 8 hours of your life on this. Strictly Avoid.

Question on 'The Night Manager' - Isn't this show cancelled? I was not interested if there was only a Season 1. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston

Khan No.1 - I have no idea why anyone would make his series. A couple of episodes were enough to turn me off completely.

Any feedback on 'The Haunting of Hill House' and 'Sabrina' (both on Netflix)?
Old 14th November 2018, 06:32   #2223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Watched House of Cards Season 6, during this long weekend. What a terrible waste of time and money.
It is absolutely ridiculous. The writing as most people have pointed out seemed way off and I felt, the creators just wanted to somehow end the show. The final 3 episodes are hushed in order to manufacture an ending and the last scene; you could see the end coming from a mile away. Robin Wright was the only saving grace with her performance, but even she cannot manage to keep this ship afloat.
Don't waste 8 hours of your life on this. Strictly Avoid.
Completely!

Such a drag, and such a waste of time. Also, there is a strong wave of feminism in there, possibly to distract from the other events that surrounded the show with Spacey's oust.

Just like Top Gear collapsed with the trio moving on, IMHO House of Cards has met the same fate.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:00   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question on 'The Night Manager' - Isn't this show cancelled? I was not interested if there was only a Season 1. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston
Apparently there is a second season which has been commissioned, but I am not sure whether that has been canceled now. Even if it is, the first season is worth watching. the six episodes are pretty well made and tightly woven. If you are a fan of Hiddleston or Laurie, its certainly worth watching.
Old 15th November 2018, 10:22   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Money Heist is one such shining example.
I was keeping my self away from this due to its ugly and generic name "Money Heist". However, I binge-watched it because of the above two posts. It clearly draws inspiration from the likes of the Oceans franchise, The Sting, Inside Man, Heat, and any other great heist movies. For the most part, the narrative is incredibly clever and very well paced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And Bella Ciao is awesome.
Yes. Amazing song. The first thing I did after watching this series was to listen to all the covers of Bell Ciao. This song is landed in my car's playlist and Pendrive.

Have a look at original "BellaCiao"

SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 20:31   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Patriot
Came on my radar due to it's second season release. Don't know how I missed this gem. A very different kind of spy stuff. Saw only first season. Highly recommended. It's a slow burn so if you like guns blazing it's not your kind. But, if you like character development, great acting and screenplay this one is for you.

Also, don't miss the songs lead actor sings on his guitar. They all have great meaning regarding the story progression.
Old 15th November 2018, 20:51   #2227
Distinguished - BHPian

This one is more for kids. Brainchild. Talks about some interesting topics like Social Media, Germs, Space, Emotions etc.. in a kid friendly way. Rated 7+ so good for most young kids. And adults can also enjoy. As they say in the description, explained in a way that is refreshingly relatable.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 15th November 2018 at 20:52.
Old 16th November 2018, 05:36   #2228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Watching Netflix original Money heist (La Casa De Papel in spanish) these days.
The Series is like a good wine. It takes you high slowly. Do watch it.
I watched this based on recommendations I had received. I found Season 1 to be a bit over the top, and the acting looked very artificial. Maybe it was the dubbing that caused it, but not sure. However, I persisted and found Season 2 to be quite interesting.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th November 2018 at 07:19. Reason: Typo
Old 16th November 2018, 11:35   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Oh boy, you haven't watched Fringe, have you? Lucky you, you're in for some good times. I watched Fringe before Elementary, so the change in John Noble's characters between the two was mind-blowing. I think it'll still be good in reverse, because the man is a damn fine actor.

Fringe is one weird but damn interesting series. I was reading about Fringe Science and found this definition : "Fringe science is an inquiry in an established field of study which departs significantly from mainstream theories in that field and is considered to be questionable by the mainstream. Fringe science may be either a questionable application of a scientific approach to a field of study or an approach whose status as scientific is widely questioned."

Mapping this definition to the events in the series and all the experiments done by Walter Bishop, the definition makes sense.

I have also started watching HOMECOMING on Prime. Julia Roberts is my all time favorite actress and hence, I had to watch it. So far, in 5 episodes, they have managed to create enough suspense regarding the whole HOMECOMING institute where Julia is the chief consultant. Interesting story, but a bit slow moving.

The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-homecoming.jpg

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 16th November 2018 at 11:58.
Old 18th November 2018, 16:57   #2230
Distinguished - BHPian

Narcos: Mexico : 3/5

Disclaimer - I havent watched the earlier seasons of Narcos, but started this one thinking it is a new series/separate one. Which in a way it is, as one doesn't require to have watched the earlier seasons as this goes to the start of the drug cartels in Mexico; the only connect to the earlier seasons is Pablo comes for a few minutes in one of the episode and that's all.

A decent watch - well paced with some decent acting. I'd say for the story, it's a decent watch if you have time. The ending is the cliffhanger which makes you want the next season to start asap

Quote:

Any feedback on 'The Haunting of Hill House'
There's quite a few posts on the THofHH on the past few pages, that should tip the scale. Here's my feedback below.

The Haunting of Hill House: 4/5

Absolutely brilliant. I'd say the whole series could have been shortened to a 3 hour movie or maybe 5 episodes to make it much better, but not complaining - the series is worth the watch.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th November 2018 at 17:00.
Old 19th November 2018, 06:15   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Started watching The Good Cop on Netflix and soon forgot about it since the first couple of episodes were a snoozefest. Just heard the series has been cancelled so there will be no second season. The only positive to come out of it seems to be that Tony Danza has given up his acting hiatus and reportedly looking at other roles (Link).
Old 24th November 2018, 08:24   #2232
Distinguished - BHPian

Running out of sitcoms, so I dug into the archives and started watching Frasier.. a show that as a kid, I found quite boring.

Now I have some very interesting perspectives on the show, the writing is the best in the business and manages a variety of emotions in a well balanced way rather than going overly sappy or crude. I can also see that it has influenced the sitcoms that came after it, tremendously.. like below :

- Niles Crane (played by David Pierce) is the single greatest influence of the character Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, I go so far as to say Sheldon is a pure rip-off. A very finicky, obsessive-compulsive psychiatrist who dusts chairs and tables with his handkerchief before sitting.. Niles Crane is also portrayed as a man with very little physical abilities, no interests in sports, a perennial book-worm and culture enthusiast.

- Frasier Crane himself, plays off his brother Niles like Leonard with Sheldon. he is slightly more mature and is a decision maker for every plot.. though he too is as geeky, if not more than Niles and they often argue on human psyches and their approaches to their respective professions. He is also seen as a luxury and arts & culture enthusiast who gleefully indulges in Zegna suits, Cartier watches and anything tutto fatto a mano (Italian handmade).

- Roz Doyle the sarcastic, man-crazy, ever-faithful friend and co-worker of Frasier is kinda like Penny though not as energetic or edgy.

- Many of the jokes on the show have served as plots on shows that came much later.

Though the comedic value of the show isn't anywhere in the league of the tasteless, crude comedies (my fav), it does have a human value that runs in it all through and shows the misadventures of two rich brothers who are sometimes so vain and so into personal grooming that their orientations are often doubted (within the show, not my opinion), not that there is anything wrong with that.

8/10
Old 25th November 2018, 00:57   #2233
BHPian

Watched Mirzapur, a Prime Original. It is quite good but is more violent and abusive than Sacred Games!

Pankaj Tripathi, Ali Fazal and Divyendu have nailed there characters.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:16   #2234
Team-BHP Support

Any information on when would the next series of Mirzapur be out? This has got me hooked.
Old 26th November 2018, 06:14   #2235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I have also started watching HOMECOMING on Prime. Julia Roberts is my all time favorite actress and hence, I had to watch it. So far, in 5 episodes, they have managed to create enough suspense regarding the whole HOMECOMING institute where Julia is the chief consultant. Interesting story, but a bit slow moving.
I watched a couple of episodes and was put off by the slow speed and Julia Roberts' rather unenthusiastic performance. She seems to be one actress who has gone steadily downhill since her prime.

I watch Prime rarely these days since, unlike Netflix, I can't cast it off my iphone app to TV directly. But since I had plugged the laptop in, changed to tom Clancy's Jack Ryan and found it really slickly made and fast-paced. Finished off all 8 episodes of Season 1 in one weekend!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks