Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 11:56   #2401
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Sacred Games Season 2 star cast has been revealed.
Some great music, gave me goosebumps!

Old 8th May 2019, 12:09   #2402
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a new series begun on Hotstar. Chernobyl.
Its from HBO, and only the first episode of the first season is out. But its looking very good.
Essentially a dramatization of the original tragedy.
Old 8th May 2019, 13:04   #2403
BHPian

Shows I recently finished:
1. Person of Interest (Prime Video): 5/5
Brilliant show. I am not a fan of sci-fi but this one is so well done and the acting is amazing. The lead can give 007 a run for his money.

2. Made in Heaven (Prime Video): 4/5
Nice watch. Can get a bit preachy at times. Found the show to be a little wannabe in some episodes. The acting by the leads is really good though.

3. The Office (Prime video): 4/5
It's a legendary show. The last two seasons were not as great but it's a fun show to watch if you are tired and simply want to unwind after a long day. Dwight Schrute is now among my top favorite characters of all time.

4. Mirzapur (Prime video): 3/5
Tries way too hard. It's no Sacred Games (not a show that I think highly of anyway). I think the makers have tried to use some titillation just to make up for the average acting and predictable plot.

5. Robin Williams-Come inside my mind (Hotstar Premium): 5/5
Am a huge fan of his and this gave me an insider's view of the man's life. Highly recommend.

Shows I am currently watching (all on Hotstar premium):
1. GoT on S4 now:3/5
Is really disappointing. Forced plots, unrealistic timelines, loopholes, etc, etc. but I have invested too much time in it and want to see how it ends.

2. Veep on S2 now (4/5):
I watch it while eating lunch just to unwind. Can be fun if you don't have very high expectations.

3. Doctor Who with Matt Smith on S6 now (4/5): Timepass show. Matt Smith makes for a quirky doctor. I try not to wonder too much about the science and timelines behind it so it's fun.

4. Homeland on S4 now (5/5): Brilliant. The lead actress is so talented! I thought GoT was unpredictable but this show is something else. Love it and highly recommend.

5. City of Dreams : Just seen one episode but I like it. Has a heavyweight cast borrowed from the Marathi film industry. Gives a Satyaesque vibe. I'm a sucker for political crime dramas. The fact that it's based in Mumbai is cherry on the cake.

6. Band of Brothers (4/5): Found the first few episodes amazing. It's getting a bit tedious to watch now though. Watching it for the historical recreations rather than the acting at this point.

Shows I abandoned:
Inside Edge (Amazon prime): Hard to believe Vivek Oberoi is the same guy who did Yuva and Satya. He seems to think having a smile plastered on his face and mouthing dialogues in a husky voice qualifies as sinister. I felt like bashing my TV screen in each time he came on.Stopped watching in the interest of protecting my TV. Richa Chadda is over rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is 'Homeland' series still on? Where do you watch the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Mayanagari-City of Dreams
Streaming on Hotstar.

Would appreciate an unvarnished review of the Mayanagari - City of Dreams.
The star cast has doyens like Sachin & Atul Kulkarni.
Helmed by Nagesh Kukunoor, a director with more misses than hits.
The series is getting mixed reviews online though.

Thanks in advance.

On a related note, I haven't renewed my Tata Sky subscription this month and haven't missed it one bit. I get my Amazon Prime for free via my Vodafone postpaid connection. Hotstar premium is so VFM! Has almost all the HBO shows uncensored and other quality content and a dirt cheap price. Purchased a Fire Stick last month and it's changed my life. I was always of the opinion that it would be no different than hooking up my laptop to my TV via HDMI, but boy was I wrong.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:54   #2404
Senior - BHPian

GoT S8E05 - Meh! Am just waiting for the series to get over next week
Old 13th May 2019, 16:59   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
GoT S8E05 - Meh! Am just waiting for the series to get over next week
Totally agreed. Such a shame this season. Except for the 3rd episode, rest can be watched on fast forward mode. Today's episode was so boring that I watched it with 2 breaks. A first in my entire GoT career
Old 13th May 2019, 17:04   #2406
BHPian

Started watching The Fringe on Amazon Prime.
The series is... different (?)..

Hoping it grows on me.
Old 13th May 2019, 17:18   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Hoping it grows on me.
Spot on, this happened to be the first Hollywood series 5 years back that eventually made me a permanent fan of American TV series. Go ahead you will never regret. Some of the futuristic theories have been portrayed so well that even you will become fan of studying them at times

Last edited by haisaikat : 13th May 2019 at 17:20.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:00   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post

2. Made in Heaven (Prime Video): 4/5
Nice watch. Can get a bit preachy at times. Found the show to be a little wannabe in some episodes. The acting by the leads is really good though.
I liked this series. Much better than 4 More Shots please. Nice good plots and inside look at some societal norms.

Quote:
5. City of Dreams : Just seen one episode but I like it. Has a heavyweight cast borrowed from the Marathi film industry. Gives a Satyaesque vibe. I'm a sucker for political crime dramas. The fact that it's based in Mumbai is cherry on the cake.

Sarted watching this on Sunday evening and boy its addictive. Already finished E9 last night. The heavyweight star cast delivers. However a little over the top sprinkling of BC/MC comes across as superficial.

However one thing that stands out in both these teleseries is the depiction of same sex intimacy which was earlier a no-go area for our desi content producers for the want of offending folks. That is definitely a great step forward!
Old 14th May 2019, 10:09   #2409
BHPian

Quote:

Hoping it grows on me.
Nopes, it goes the same way as any other series. Pick something else.
Old 14th May 2019, 13:01   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Sarted watching this on Sunday evening and boy its addictive. Already finished E9 last night. The heavyweight star cast delivers. However a little over the top sprinkling of BC/MC comes across as superficial.
I finished it too. The plot was a bit predictable and yes the abuses seemed to be there for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
owever one thing that stands out in both these teleseries is the depiction of same sex intimacy which was earlier a no-go area for our desi content producers for the want of offending folks. That is definitely a great step forward!
So in the 90s the shock quotient was abuses (eg. Vaastav), In the 2000s it was showing skin and kissing when even lead A listers started wearing bikinis (the Emran Hashmi and Mallika sherawat era, I remember BT counting and advertising the number of kisses in Khwahish, lol), 2010 onwards they started showing nudity and sex, and now at the fag end of the decade they are showing same sex relationships. I think it is because the audience has kept getting desensitised each passing decade and the filmmakers are relying more on shock value than actual plots.
Old 14th May 2019, 14:32   #2411
BHPian

Sky:
  1. I am a big fan of 'Agents of Shield' there have been Five Seasons so far and Season 6 telecast has started in the US since last Friday. I bet you would not be able to stop watching at one episode.
  2. Blue Bloods (story revolving around cops)
  3. Young Sheldon (you will love it if you are a fan of Big Bang Theory)
Other Netflix shows:
  1. Sacred Games (many have listed this already)
  2. Touch (Amazing show on human connections and there are 2 seasons; I am halfway through S2. It gives a sense of hope and positive attitude to help others. I would highly recommend watching this one)
  3. Agent Raghav (unlike other typical Indian serials, this is really nice)
  4. Limitless (am sad that they didn't come up with S2)
  5. My Love from the Star (Korean serial and is really a nice romantic drama)
  6. Man to Man (an action, comedy serial, again Korean)
  7. Death in Paradise (murder investigation serial
  8. If you like Marvel shows then
    1. The Punisher
    2. Daredevil (S1 & S2)
    3. Defenders
Prime:
  1. Person of Interest (S1 to S4 are amazing; in S5 maybe the director lost track and it has just 13 episodes when compared to 22 in other seasons and understandably).
  2. Yet to explore other shows
Old 16th May 2019, 11:44   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Young Sheldon
Young Sheldon is leagues better than Big Bang is now. Big Bang has become too long in the tooth, I've stopped watching sometime in S9 itself.

Since you have Prime, I'd highly recommend 'The Missing'. If you felt S1 was better, S2 is another step up.
Old 16th May 2019, 14:01   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Nopes, it goes the same way as any other series. Pick something else.
Agree. The missus got bored after few episodes. The serial is very bonkers! From time travel to teleportation to telekinesis to God-knows-what, everything is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Young Sheldon is leagues better than Big Bang is now. Big Bang has become too long in the tooth, I've stopped watching sometime in S9 itself.
Young Sheldon is pretty awesome, esp. Missy and the Granny.

Stopped watching BBT post S08.
Old 16th May 2019, 14:34   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Agree. The missus got bored after few episodes. The serial is very bonkers! From time travel to teleportation to telekinesis to God-knows-what, everything is fair game.

Young Sheldon is pretty awesome, esp. Missy and the Granny.

Stopped watching BBT post S08.
Billions is good, if you have not completed it yet.
Am in S2 now.
Old 16th May 2019, 14:51   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Shows I recently finished:
3. The Office (Prime video): 4/5.... wrong.
If you liked this version of The Office, you must watch the original The Office (UK) with Ricky Gervais. It is much, much better and the humour is also not so in-your-face. I liked the UK one better as it was tightly written, had only 2 season and a Christmas special and had clearly written characters.

Travelwriter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks