Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 12:38   #2461
BHPian

re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
It is on my list. Do both shows have the same storyline and jokes?
Office UK is more subtle. The humour is not slapstick like the US version and the performances are more realistic; characters are more believable and real. US Office was stretched to over 9 seasons and it seems they ran out of jokes.
Old 5th June 2019, 18:36   #2462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Office UK is more subtle. The humour is not slapstick like the US version and the performances are more realistic; characters are more believable and real. US Office was stretched to over 9 seasons and it seems they ran out of jokes.

Agree. I couldn't get into the Office US. I watched a few episodes here & there over the years.

I recently re-watched the entire Office UK series. (Now) the characters seem so politically incorrect, I don't know whether they can make such a TV show any more.

It was short but I think they gave good closure at the end.
Old 6th June 2019, 09:08   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Chernobyl : HBO Mini Series of 5 episodes.

This recently released series on Hotstar narrates a chilling account of the events took place during the infamous nuclear plant explosion at Chernobyl in 1986, and the events thereafter, including investigations into the episode, governmental cover- ups and the like. It is not a documentary but a dramatization of the real life events that took place. Recommended watch
Old 6th June 2019, 10:21   #2464
BHPian

'The IT Crowd' - for those of you that like English humour.
"Coupling" - English again, a really funny series
"Frasier" - American, with a sophisticated sense of humour. This is one of my top 3 and can watch it many times. Great lines, splendid characters and immaculate direction
"Cheers" - the American 'Nukkad'.
"M.A.S.H." - Laugh-a-minute-riot. Old one but still makes sense. Does get preachy sometimes
"Seinfeld" - Remarkably, it's a show about nothing. That is what makes it funny and interesting
Old 6th June 2019, 16:49   #2465
Team-BHP Support

Been watching Chernobyl and I agree, it is a good series. I just have the finale left to wrap it up.

Short at just 5 episodes with each clocking an hour. But the serial is truly captivating! What really shook me was how they portray Soviet Union vs US and the rest of the world throughout the serial. The Russians are really really mad when it comes to science and technology.

The Russians seem to disagree though - https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...ernobyl-a65821

Old 6th June 2019, 17:16   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
'The IT Crowd' - for those of you that like English humour.
"Coupling" - English again, a really funny series
"Frasier" - American, with a sophisticated sense of humour. This is one of my top 3 and can watch it many times. Great lines, splendid characters and immaculate direction
"Cheers" - the American 'Nukkad'.
"M.A.S.H." - Laugh-a-minute-riot. Old one but still makes sense. Does get preachy sometimes
"Seinfeld" - Remarkably, it's a show about nothing. That is what makes it funny and interesting
Seinfeld is my go to drug! The epitome of how comedy shows should be written. Fabulous writing and acting (bar Seinfeld)...
Old 6th June 2019, 17:39   #2467
BHPian

Friends - have watched all 10 seasons multiple times. Do watch even now when it is on; and can say lines along with the characters
Everybody loves Raymond - Okay...watch 1/2 episodes every now and then.
Seinfield - Used to watch it, especially when I had friends for company.
TBBT - Have watched up until Season 7 IIRC; thereafter didn't follow much. Got my wife hooked onto it
Narcos - Binge watched it end to end in few days in 2016. Not a family show.
Old 6th June 2019, 17:52   #2468
BHPian

This is Off Topic:

So off late (last 6 Months) I am being very selective with what I watch. Typically thinking, is it really worth my time?
In a sense I try an avoid TV as much as possible and what got me thinking was, it is better to watch a particular TV Series/Movie/cricket match than possibly playing with kids/reading a book/going for a walk/fixing something up or if it is night just going to bed early. And while I do most of the alternatives anyway, the question then becomes of marginal utility.

So, I am not actively looking for TV to watch but I do check series which are recommended highly. There are some favorites of-course which I don't miss but they are mostly take up 10 hours every 6 months. What I do actively seek is new things to do. So recently I started to grow some indoor herbs using artificial light and what not, that was immensely satisfying. Weekends (though its WC time) are being spent with family in museums/outdoors etc.

Example - I recently watched a couple of episodes of 'What If' (Netflix) and found to be boring, insipid; my usual self would complete it, even if I had to fast forward it, this time I was happy to simply not watch anymore if it.

Note to Mods: Please move to an appropriate thread if necessary.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 6th June 2019 at 17:55.
Old 6th June 2019, 18:05   #2469
BHPian

Anyone watched After Life on Netflix? Have been watching it since the last week and has looked interesting. Its a slow moving story about a guy who is facing a brick wall after the loss of his wife who was everything in his life. Ricky Gervais has done is role well. All the characters are subtle and I'm liking the overall mood and pace. Only 6-7 episodes for season 1 and the season 2 is slotted to come out in 2020.
Old 6th June 2019, 19:04   #2470
BHPian

I remember I used to absolutely love "Family Guy" by Seth MacFarlane. However, I don't see it on Netflix or Amazon. Is this show not available in India at all?
Old 7th June 2019, 14:16   #2471
BHPian

Chernobyl: HBO Mini-Series of 5 episodes (5/5)

Chernobyl, the horrifying retelling of the worst nuclear disaster in human history by HBO, is at the No. 1 place on IMDb's all-time TV rankings. Chernobyl had an average score of 9.7 stars. It creates an ongoing and creeping uneasiness, rather than sprinkling into shocking twists, enabling the atrocity of horrible, appropriate gravity to sink in.

Watching the first two episodes of "Chernobyl" last night, I felt chills down the spine. It brings back loads of horrifying memories as a Bhopal 1984 gas disaster survivor and eye-witness. Hope some director will create a film so that present & future generation can remember Bhopal's world's worst industrial catastrophe.

Samdarshi
Old 7th June 2019, 21:40   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
So off late (last 6 Months) I am being very selective with what I watch. Typically thinking, is it really worth my time?
Wow great analysis and I so much agree to it. Do something different!

Literally I have brought up this discussion numerous times now, When friends ask have I seen a series lately.

I recently saw a TEDEx talk and in which a Netflix Engineer commented "One of the main competitor for Netflix is Sleep" No wonder they shove new content as soon as you finish one. They also have auto preview of a new series playing as soon as one ends!

Check out this TEDEx talk on Boredom!
https://www.ted.com/talks/manoush_zomorodi_how_boredom_can_lead_to_your_most _brilliant_ideas?language=en

Sorry for the digression guys!
Old 7th June 2019, 22:52   #2473
BHPian

Are there any documentaries OR series on 'Mount Everest'?

Just curious to see some story/visuals of the mountain, with so much spoken about the same in newsprint in the recent past!
Old 7th June 2019, 23:21   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any documentaries OR series on 'Mount Everest'?

Just curious to see some story/visuals of the mountain, with so much spoken about the same in newsprint in the recent past!
There is a movie called Everest. Good one with stunning visuals and a storyline too.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2719848/
Old 8th June 2019, 12:16   #2475
Team-BHP Support

Mind the Malhotras - watched two episodes and I can't take it any more. Too typical/cliched.

Some of you might like it, but the acting, plus the story telling is too cliched [again] for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks