Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2022, 23:52   #406
BHPian

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think someone intent on mass murder would hold back because crossing state lines with a weapon is a crime.
That is not entirely accurate. Most states have carry permit reciprocity laws. For example, a PA carry permit is honored in some other states for example WV, NH, OH. I can travel to bordering states with what the carry permit allows (A concealed and loaded handgun).

Long guns is a different story as you would have to follow the destination state's laws and also the states that you are passing through.

Last edited by nitinsharma1000 : 29th May 2022 at 23:54. Reason: Quote
nitinsharma1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:07   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinsharma1000 View Post
For example, a PA carry permit is honored in some other states for example WV, NH, OH. I can travel to bordering states with what the carry permit allows (A concealed and loaded handgun).
A lot of states especially in the south too have reciprocity for example with a Georgia permit one can go to Texas even on a commercial flight after checking it into the luggage. I once had my white colleague do it. NJ and NY have some of the strictest laws regarding reciprocity with NJ not honoring any out of state permit.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 21:47   #408
BHPian

I cannot wrap my head around this pic and its absurdness. How can such a country continue to be called a world leader?

PS: Photo freely available in the internet and hence not blurring the faces.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Ownership-gun.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 22:16   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
How can such a country continue to be called a world leader?
World leader in mass shooting, mass incarceration, & killings by law enforcement.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 01:12   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Another mass shooting, this time on a hospital campus.

Four dead, plus the gunman it seems.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/us/tu...ter/index.html

President Biden is expected to make some calls on stricter gun control. But I’m not holding my breath.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/02/-bid...shootings.html

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd June 2022 at 01:14.
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:53   #411
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I cannot wrap my head around this pic and its absurdness. How can such a country continue to be called a world leader?
Maybe he is the legendary "good guy with a gun to take on the bad guy with a gun" that the whole of US is looking for.

It is all great and safe till an accident happens!!
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:07   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for sharing. When you have so many guns everybody is perceived as a threat. You see those around you as your own reflection. I wouldn't want to be walking on the pavement past this family's home in USA.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:12   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The little girl on a bike, made to pose for that picture. Sheesh!
Just wondering if that is a real, unedited photograph.

Doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of guns in the US of course and several families do indeed display their weaponry proudly. But at least let's not outrage over something that could turn out to be a fake whatsapp forward and nothing more.

I'm certainly against civilians owning/keeping guns at home in any country, but I think painting a whole country with the same brush because there are a lot of people who think guns are ok is unfair. There is also a very significant section of American society that does not favour guns. God knows we have our own polarizing issues over here, and there are several people and elected representatives who proudly declare their extremist viewpoints on those issues on social media. But I wouldn't want people thinking that represents all of my country.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd June 2022 at 11:20.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:13   #414
Team-BHP Support

Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:24   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Born and bred within such an environment, I am sure the little girl doesn’t think anything is out of the ordinary here. For a family with so many weapons which she must be accustomed to seeing, it must seem pretty normal.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:28   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Just wondering if that is a real, unedited photograph.
I was wrong- that indeed (unfortunately) does seem to be an actual photograph. Found a reference source online from a reliable newspaper. (Not going to post it because hey, we don't need to see pics of more guns at homes!)

Last edited by am1m : 3rd June 2022 at 12:30.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:34   #417
BHPian

This reminds me of an incident: Long long time ago (in 2004-05), when I was living in cotton growing states on East coast, one of my friend had a trouble with speedometer of his Accord. Speedometer would get stuck at zero one out of four times. We went to the Honda dealership in Spartanburg, SC, they advised replacement of complete unit costing upwards of 4K USD, which was 75% of the car value. So my friend decided to try out a local garage, he got it's reference from another friend. The plan was to drop the car at the garage and come back in my car, so the two cars were onto this trip of 30-35 miles.

Those were the days without google map, so my friend noted the route on a plan paper and we started. All was well until we took the exit and started searching for the garage. I was following my friend in my Toyota Avalon and could easily say that the friend was lost in a remote neighborhood. One turn after another, and we soon ended up in a dead end street which had a big house on the left.

As soon as we stopped in the street, a black tall guy came out in the portico of the house, he had a white bandana on his forehead and I could tell from his face he did not like presence of two unknown cars on the street. I was about to call my friend on cell and say lets reverse and move out. By that time, the tall dude pulled out a big assault rifle from his pant (I always used to wonder why they wear such loose fitting pants, not anymore after it). The rifle was on his shoulder now.

I had never seen an assault rifle in my life, certainly not with someone who is not liking my presence on the street. It's difficult to describe that feeling, heart in the mouth, shitting in the pants, amygdala triggering fight and flight chemicals - well all of this together, in a matter of seconds. My heart was pounding crazy, I just put reverse gear and without even looking in rearview mirror pressed onto the gas (as eye were fixated on impending bullets). My friend was also frantically reversing, until were 50-70 meters away of so from the house. Then we both took a three point turn and ran for our life. After running away from that house, we stopped after 10-15 minutes of drive in a gas station and we both were still panting like anything.

This what Guns could do, a simple mistake of missing the route can become life and death situation!
Acharya is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 19:57   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
This what Guns could do, a simple mistake of missing the route can become life and death situation!
He was probably a good guy with a gun...

I lived in NJ all my time in USA, so I never ever saw a civilian packing a gun. However, when I was visiting Arizona, I did see a civilian visitor with a gun holster at a tourist center. I was very conscious of him during the entire time I was in the same hall with him. I never get that feeling with any uniformed armed personnel.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 13:01   #419
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since you all are interested in the topic, be sure to watch "Miss Sloane" - an outstanding film on the gun lobby, and what happens when you fight it.

Jessica Chastain & Mark Strong are exceptional (as usual), you will be hooked. Available on Prime Video.

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 14:42   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you all are interested in the topic, be sure to watch "Miss Sloane" - an outstanding film on the gun lobby, and what happens when you fight it.
Thanks GTO, the premise of the movie sounds good, will certainly watch it.

I don’t think anything much will ever happen regarding gun control because the NRA (National Rifle Association) is too, too powerful in America. I believe they spent around USD 250 million in 2020 alone. Interesting BBC article updated on 27th May,2022.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35261394

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks