Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 11:29   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
You are taught to respect your weapon, not just to pull it out and start firing. There is protocol that I've seen even at the school/college-NCC level to merely test fire an ancient .303 rifle. That was one training where even the smallest amount of fooling around, playing around with the weapon, or joking around was not tolerated one bit.
Yes, I too remember those days, when army havildars taught us how to handle rifles whether it was loaded for not, or even if they are DP rifles. I was in-charge of thirty .303 Lee Enfield rifles and a 7.62 LMG, which didn't have ammunition or firing pins. Yet, we were following all safety protocols as if they are loaded weapons. While the .303 may be an ancient rifle, but it is a deadly weapon.

In fact, when many cadets fired a rifle for the first time, they didn't want to do it again. I had mentioned it 14 years ago in this very thread.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th July 2021 at 11:31.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 18:17   #317
BHPian

Thought I would post my newest acquisition . A Sig Sauer M18 in 9mm. I have owned firearms since the last 15 years, ranging from WW2 era rifles to an AR-15. For me, responsible gun ownership is a must and you need a certain discipline when handling firearms. Basic functional knowledge is a must for every type of firearm. You should check and make sure if a firearm is loaded or not even if you have seen someone check it with your own eyes. Never put your trigger on the trigger unless if you are ready to pull it (loaded or not) and never point it towards something that you do not intend to shoot (loaded or not). I always keep some of my firearms loaded as they are not showpieces or status symbols. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to use it. But I would hate it even more if it didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Ownership-sig-sauer-m18.jpg  

nitinsharma1000 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:28   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Worldwide statistics show that those who own guns are more likely to get hurt/wounded/killed by a gun than those who don’t own guns.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (69) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:58   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinsharma1000 View Post
Thought I would post my newest acquisition . A Sig Sauer M18 in 9mm. .
I had an opportunity to handle the P226, among a few other brands of different calibers, however the P226 stood apart in many parameters. It was a lovely gun.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 07:22   #320
BHPian

Recently I was involved in helping a much older family friend renew his Gun Licence in New Delhi.
While most of the application work was done online, a cumbersome procedure with unresponsive website, there was yet a lot of manual paperwork involved.
The silver lining came in the form of "Smart Card" issued in lieu of a big booklet with aging papers and cover. The validity of this Card / Licence is 5 Years.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:27   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Recently I was involved in helping a much older family friend renew his Gun Licence in New Delhi.
While most of the application work was done online, a cumbersome procedure with unresponsive website, there was yet a lot of manual paperwork involved.
The silver lining came in the form of "Smart Card" issued in lieu of a big booklet with aging papers and cover. The validity of this Card / Licence is 5 Years.
I am in pursuance of obtaining a new license, all the paperwork is manual here, nothing is online (Meerut, UP). Applied in October 2019, and after tons of visits to various offices and spending thousands of rupees still no progress.
Have almost given up.
Vikalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:38   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
I am in pursuance of obtaining a new license, all the paperwork is manual here, nothing is online (Meerut, UP). Applied in October 2019, and after tons of visits to various offices and spending thousands of rupees still no progress.
Have almost given up.
Given up what ?
The Gun ? Or, the hope of getting a License ? Sorry to ask, but is it really worthwhile to own a weapon here ? Any elections or major event, you have to deposit your weapon in the nearest Police station.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 10th May 2022 at 13:41.
Amrik Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 14:00   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Given up what ?
The Gun ? Or, the hope of getting a License ? Sorry to ask, but is it really worthwhile to own a weapon here ? Any elections or major event, you have to deposit your weapon in the nearest Police station.
Given up on getting the license. Without any political source, its next to impossible.
I agree, depositing during elections etc. is a hassle but I'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
Besides I had a genuine reason, since I need to carry cash to and from banks and my workplace a lot of times, but seems like the goons sitting in the government offices don't care.
Vikalp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 14:53   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
...but seems like the goons sitting in the government offices don't care.
Just looked it up and the word "goon" apparently means a violent person. So looks like the government people are actually the opposite of that definition because they are not allowing people to own guns. (One instance where I'm actually happy for government bureaucracy being the way it is!)

Anyway, not to get into a pro-anti gun ownership thing, just out of curiosity, what documents does one need to apply for a gun license in our country? Do the requirements call for any sort of weapons training at all? Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by am1m : 10th May 2022 at 14:58.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 20:24   #325
BHPian

I wonder if all those private security guys with Double Barrel would ever be able to manoeuvre their arms in confined space and moving culprits ?
My internal smile often bursts out seeing Railway Protection Police guys moving through crowded trains with long rifles slung on their shoulders.
C'mon, is there room for you to change directions within the confined space of Railway Coach ?
Amrik Singh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 08:43   #326
BANNED

OMG, mass private ownership of guns will lead to Gangs of Wasseypur played out live in India.
This country has poor police/civilian ratio, imagine almost every household in UP and Bihar with a gun!!
Here people kill over car parking.
But it will be brisk business for car repair guys to plug bullet holes. :-)
aquavivarium is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:02   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if all those private security guys with Double Barrel would ever be able to manoeuvre their arms in confined space and moving culprits ?
My internal smile often bursts out seeing Railway Protection Police guys moving through crowded trains with long rifles slung on their shoulders.
C'mon, is there room for you to change directions within the confined space of Railway Coach ?
It is more of a deterrence for people to toe the line than the actual usability of the gun
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:11   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Worldwide statistics show that those who own guns are more likely to get hurt/wounded/killed by a gun than those who don’t own guns.

Jeroen
I see a lot of people say this, but isn't it kind of obvious and overall irrelevant?
It is like saying that people who have a knife in their homes are more likely to get cut from one than those who never interact with knives. Or like people who own animals are more likely to get bit by one. Am I making sense?
Tubeless_tired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:29   #329
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavivarium View Post
This country has poor police/civilian ratio, imagine almost every household in UP and Bihar with a gun!!
I definitely see things going boom boom in Delhi/NCR first just because murder due to road rage is commonplace there
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 14:48   #330

Naming two states, the import being they are *badlands*, is in poor taste, I feel. One hears of/reads about instances of violent crime occurring in pretty much all states. Not a happy thought, yes, but a sobering one.
Sankalp05 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks