Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2011, 22:23   #1951
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
He he.. just kiddin' with you Alston, though would like to know your views on the 'opportunity' bit
My congratulations to both of you.
On the whole, this date set me back by by a susbtantial 5 figure mark, so I would not be keen on another 'opportunity' like this
Old 11th December 2011, 11:02   #1952
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope the 5 figure mark included the ring, gift, etc!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 14:03   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I hope the 5 figure mark included the ring, gift, etc!
Indeed my friend, ring, attire, venue expenses et al
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 16:52   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if these have been covered already, anyway:

Shezan (Lavelle Road and Cunningham Road) - Their biryani, chinese and some of the pastries are quite delicious. Though they have steak, I've never tried it.

Ali Baba - Mosque Road - Try the mutton biryani, Ali baba kabab and Mutton/Chicken sukka masala. It's a bhatkali cuisine arabic ambience restaurant and by far better than Richies, which apparently draws much of the crowd for reasons I don't know.

Hilal and Royal in Shivajinagar (Definite no-no for ambience or with families) but good VFM food. The biryani in Hilal and Richies taste quite similar to me

Ice n Spice on St. Mark's road - their double lamb burger is remarkably good.

Parata house parallel to old airport road for obviously, parantas.

Mangalore Pearl - great sea food and neer dosas

I haven't however, found a good gobi manchurian/fried rice stall/gaadi like there are in Mysore. Also, any pointers on where you can have traditional small places like Baburayankoppal or Hanumanthu in Bangalore? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 11th December 2011, 18:29   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Osteria

Location - CMR Road, HRBR Layout, Kalyan nagar.

Cuisine - Italian.

good stuff - I absolutely love this place. I'm not the types who can experiment at new places. IF I like some restaurant for some reason, I go back there till I find a different one.
At Osteria, I love the friendly nature of the staff and the chef coz they are ever willing to make me what I want even if it is out of the way.
I usually take the sea food platter which comes with Prawns, Mussells, Salmon and squid. they don't mind swapping any of these with my choice. I don't eat Mussells and I always replace them with prawns which are made perfectly.
The soups and Pasta's too are just too good. With pasta again, you can almost have them make custom Pasta's not listed in the menu. This ,I like.

not so good stuff - Their weekend buffets. They sound good over the menu but then,in reality, it is a disappointment. They run out of food frequently and by the time he refills it, you'd have crossed over to the next course.

I recommend trying this place.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:17   #1956
BHPian

Been to COORG in Indiranagar yesterday, diagonally opposite to Hotel Imperial parallel to CMH road. Its hard to locate at first as it just looks like any other house. Its on the 2nd floor rooftop. Restaurant owner Ayyappa if I'm not mistaken has an outspoken persona and serves only buffet@ Rs.390/- + tax. Awesome Coorg cuisine with excellent pork gravy and fry. In all its a 7+ course meal with akki roti, coconut chicken curry, jackfruit dish, caramel custard, coconut desert et all. Got me recollect my Coorg visit earlier this year. Anyone craving for such food must definitely visit. Only grouse is that he doesn't accept credit/debit cards.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:06   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Ali Baba - Mosque Road - Try the mutton biryani, Ali baba kabab and Mutton/Chicken sukka masala. It's a bhatkali cuisine arabic ambience restaurant and by far better than Richies, which apparently draws much of the crowd for reasons I don't know.Mangalore Pearl - great sea food and neer dosas .
Where is Ali baba in Mosque Road.

Try chicken ghee roast when you visit Mangalore Pearl next time.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:25   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Degchi - Kalyan Nagar/ Banaswadi
Chung Wah - HRBR layout Kammanahalli
Had been to ChungWah on Friday and enjoyed the food completely.

They have a wide-variety of east asian foods, and serve on-time as well. However they were accepting only cash on that day; and we were not informed until I handed over the card to them - Definitely should be well-informed.

I saw two more restaurants on the same road, as ChungWah is.
1) (Winter!?) Sizzlers - didnt venture into it looking at the entrance
2) Aioly - we were the only ones in the restaurant and quickly left after looking at the horrible menu and prices.

Had been to Degchi yesterday for lunch and was disappointed with the food; until the Garlic Naan rolled out. I was lavishing praises on the Garlic Naan, a little too soon as the second one was too buttery.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:43   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Dropped in at Kobe Sizzlers (Gaurda Mall) with family on saturday afternoon for a steak/sizzler lunch. Last time i had been to this particular place (kobe @ garuda mall) was around 4-5 years back.

It took a few mins for us to be seated since it was around 2.30pm and there was a bit of a crowd. After we were seated it took over 10 mins for our waiter to give us the menu cards and take our order and over another hour to bring the food. The waiter and the manager saw us getting impatient while we were waiting for the food to arrive but did not bother to request us to wait few more minutes. They just went about tottering from one end of the restaurant to the other acting very busy.

One particular north east indian waiter was on his toes too but genuinely busy. His tables were served promptly and guests were pleased. I could see the difference he made to the hungry patrons.

Posting this to rant about the shoddy service.

I visited Kobe in Koramangala last year and their service was top notch. I'd recommend Millers46 near cunningham road instead. The food and the service at Millers is excellent.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2011 at 15:46.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:01   #1960
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for the best place for kulfi in town?

Any pointers?

I am not looking at the packaged matka kulfi that most places pass on in the name of kulfi. I'm looking for the most authentic kulfi I can get!

EDIT: How's Kobe's in Koramangala now? Heard that quality is no longer what it used to be these days? Anyone been to both Yana's and Kobe's? How do they stack up against each other?

Last edited by praful : 16th December 2011 at 10:28.
Old 16th December 2011, 10:59   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I'm looking for the best place for kulfi in town?

Any pointers?

I am not looking at the packaged matka kulfi that most places pass on in the name of kulfi. I'm looking for the most authentic kulfi I can get!

EDIT: How's Kobe's in Koramangala now? Heard that quality is no longer what it used to be these days? Anyone been to both Yana's and Kobe's? How do they stack up against each other?
Always liked the Kulfi's available at Sreeraj Lassi Bar and the one next to Bowring Club
Old 16th December 2011, 11:06   #1962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Always liked the Kulfi's available at Sreeraj Lassi Bar and the one next to Bowring Club
Thanks. Is this place inside the Petrol bunk next to Bowring club?

Can I park my car in the vicinity anywhere?
Old 16th December 2011, 11:17   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Thanks. Is this place inside the Petrol bunk next to Bowring club?

Can I park my car in the vicinity anywhere?
Yes, the small shop resembling a pan shop at the Petrol Bunk next to Bowring Institute. Parking can be a pain as the only option available is at Church Street or Museum Road. You can park the car on the side and quickly carry it back to your car. Its been a long time now since I visited the place. I remember Pista or Pista Badam to be really good.

He also packs it for you with crushed ice if you want to carry it back home.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:24   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Yes, the small shop resembling a pan shop at the Petrol Bunk next to Bowring Institute. Parking can be a pain as the only option available is at Church Street or Museum Road. You can park the car on the side and quickly carry it back to your car. Its been a long time now since I visited the place. I remember Pista or Pista Badam to be really good.

He also packs it for you with crushed ice if you want to carry it back home.
Thanks for the quick replies! Will definitely check out the place, if I have time will go tonight. Hopefully he serves fast enough for me to pick it up and trot back to my car!

I've left Bombay very long back, but still crave for the Chowpatty Kulfi
Old 16th December 2011, 11:52   #1965
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Kulfi and bowring isnt available anymore. It is very famous but a few weeks back my friends and I wanted it and we saw that the shop had closed down permanently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks