Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-247.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms001 (Post 4719547)
Any recommendations for authentic north Indian Dhaba , in and around Bangalore ?

I hope you also mean the ones with the original dhaba style ambience - rustic, with charpoys and the like.

There were several like that not too far away from the city all around Bangalore on the surrounding highways, but in the last few years they've mostly vanished due to urbanisation and some of them have evolved into full fledged restaurants too.

From recent memory, one that comes to mind is the New UP Punjabi dhabha near Nandi hills cross beyond BIAL/KIAL almost next door to Nandi Upachar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4694660)
Fellow members who are food patrons of Bangalore, check out the 'Food Lovers TV' channel on YouTube hosted by Mr.Kripal . His videos on food outlets in Bangalore are very nice and informative.

I used to like this channel but off late, its been all praises and too much drama in hyping the food. Of course the restaurant he visits are popular joints but many a times I found the restaurants are surviving because of their past legacy. For instance Brahmin's coffee bar is over hyped, there are many Udupi Grands which serve similar idli's and coffee. On the other hand some are definitely unique, like CTR/Vidyarthi Bhavan masala dosa. When it comes to Idli vada, I feel its the chutney and sambar that make them special. If a south Indian restaurant cannot prepare soft idli/crunchy vada they should shut shop.

Quote:

Any recommendations for authentic north Indian Dhaba , in and around Bangalore ?

Chulha Chauki Da Dhaba serves decent dhaba style food, a bit on spicier side though.

Quote:

If by Dhaba you mean punjabi Dhaba type seating and everything, i think Chulha Chauki da Dhaba comes closest.
You can also try Baba Chatkora, Koramangala 6th block. Authentic taste, but not the ambiance. Try Amritsari Kulcha Chola and soya chaaps. They have another branch in BTM, but could never locate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4719556)
I hope you also mean the ones with the original dhaba style ambience - rustic, with charpoys and the like.

Yes exactly what i meant .

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4719560)
Chulha Chauki Da Dhaba serves decent dhaba style food, a bit on spicier side though.

Thanks will give it a try .

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi.modi05 (Post 4719563)
If by Dhaba you mean punjabi Dhaba type seating and everything, i think Chulha Chauki da Dhaba comes closest.
You can also try Baba Chatkora, Koramangala 6th block. Authentic taste, but not the ambiance. Try Amritsari Kulcha Chola and soya chaaps. They have another branch in BTM, but could never locate it.

Thanks will try them out.

I have heard good things about a Dhaba called Sher-e-Punjab on Kolar road .
Any reviews on that . It is a proper highway dhaba.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...7!4d77.8553586

Quote:

Only one place comes close which is Urban Turban on Sarjapur road after the Decathlon on the Sarjapur Attibele highway.

Their ambience is closest to highway punjabi Dhaba and the food is pretty dhaba like. Not special but like a typical dhaba. Must try place.

Chulha Chaukhi has good food as well and charpoy's but air conditioned glass is not the real deal. I went to the one on ORR near Mahadevpura.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4694660)
Fellow members who are food patrons of Bangalore, check out the 'Food Lovers TV' channel on YouTube hosted by Mr.Kripal . His videos on food outlets in Bangalore are very nice and informative.

Kripal Ammanna used to be F&B Sales Manager at Taj Westend in the 1990’s. A Good guy.
Yes, the Food Lovers Guide mag didnt do as well as perhaps it could have.
But it is very good that the YouTube Channel is doing well.

There are two restaurants which to me, are worth mentioning - both are very good indeed - SALT which is in FORUM Koramangala and RAHI which is above the NEXA Showroom on St Marks Road corner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4719914)
Only one place comes close which is Urban Turban on Sarjapur road after the Decathlon on the Sarjapur Attibele highway.

Their ambience is closest to highway punjabi Dhaba and the food is pretty dhaba like. Not special but like a typical dhaba. Must try place.

Thanks this looks good shall try it out .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4719914)
Chulha Chaukhi has good food as well and charpoy's but air conditioned glass is not the real deal. I went to the one on ORR near Mahadevpura.

A bit far for people living this side of town but the Chulha Chauki in Jayanagar (near Ranga Shankara) has a far more authentic ambiance. Food quality and taste is consistent across both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4720326)
A bit far for people living this side of town but the Chulha Chauki in Jayanagar (near Ranga Shankara) has a far more authentic ambiance. Food quality and taste is consistent across both.

It's 'JP Nagar' NOT Jayanagar!
Once you cross the 'Raghavendra Mutt' you are into 'JP Nagar'.
I would NOT know about the other branches BUT the one in 'JP Nagar' is quite small and one would advise to book a table, before you arrive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4720372)
It's 'JP Nagar' NOT Jayanagar!
Once you cross the 'Raghavendra Mutt' you are into 'JP Nagar'.
I would NOT know about the other branches BUT the one in 'JP Nagar' is quite small and one would advise to book a table, before you arrive!

My apologies, a decade of living here and that border has always been a blur to me.stupid:

I think it's the road that connects Banashankari to Jayadeva junction & beyond, that separates the two Jayas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4720381)
My apologies, a decade of living here and that border has always been a blur to me.stupid:

I think it's the road that connects Banashankari to Jayadeva junction & beyond, that separates the two Jayas?

Indeed! Jayanagar is kinda saturated with Restaurants and what NOT.
'JP Nagar' has some room for new outlets, considering now it spans until 'Konanakunte Cross'.

On this topic of North Indian food in Bengaluru, is there any food joints (even street food is okay) which serve good North Indian food as breakfast? Would love to have hot parathas in the morning, once a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalOne (Post 4720493)
On this topic of North Indian food in Bengaluru, is there any food joints (even street food is okay) which serve good North Indian food as breakfast? Would love to have hot parathas in the morning, once a while.

Social has good Northin Indian breakfast, Puri-Chole or Paratha thali.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalOne (Post 4720493)

There is this lovely little place in HSR called Mumbai Tiffin. The name belies the food type.
We either buy from them via Zomato or go across too once in a while.

They have delicious Puri Bhaji - almost exact in taste, as compared with what I remember eating as a youngster on the train station platform in Kharagpur, Itarsi, Jhansi, Gwalior, Nizamuddin, Pune etc.

The plain Tava Paratha, Phulka and their Arhar Dhal is really wonderful as is their Black Dhal.

They have wonderful Aloo Paratha and lots of different kinds of Parathas - as tasty as what one gets in Delhi or Moradabad or Chandigarh or Baddi or more or less anywhere out there.

So look no further, if you’re looking for a first class North Indian breakfast type.

They are very good people - perfect “home style” food. No nonsense. Clear focus on their core competence without all the silly frilly widdly bits of today’s world.

I wish, for example, Mast Kalandar had remained true to its original mission before it got diluted and burned by the greedy VC’s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4720782)

I wish, for example, Mast Kalandar had remained true to its original mission before it got diluted and burned by the greedy VC’s.

Now that's a name I hadn't heard or remembered in a while. Great food and reasonably priced, until the whole thing went down the tube.:Frustrati