Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2021, 14:53   #3256
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

I have been following this news very closely as I was really in awe of BCCI execution capabilities during the last IPL. BCCI created a template for cricket boards/ ICC to follow. Unfortunately, whatever news I have been reading now points the blame on BCCI for cutting corners and taking the whole thing lightly.

The factors which has lead to the bubble being breached. All points mentioned below are from various articles I have read. Lazy to look for all of them to add as source.

- Travelling between cities
BCCI used charter planes and private airports where ever possible but there is still a risk during security check and transit. In UAE the team bus used to drive to the stadium and back, zero risk.

- Cutting corners in equipment
The tracking device used were sourced locally. Team owners highlighted that the data from the device was inconsistent.

- Security guys as 'Bio bubble managers'
Apparently BCCI provided 'Bio bubble managers' to each team but these guys were not qualified for the job and were found breaching the bubble themselves. Team owners highlighted this too.

- Delhi practice in Roshanara club where people took selfies with cricketers!!

- Sponsor pass and WAG's lack of social distancing and using common facilities. Apparently WAG's didn't have the same requirements of quarantine period.

- Food delivery from outside the hotel.
This could have been avoided. When on tour, Indian players complain due to not getting Indian food, which is a none issue while staying in hotels in India. And AFAIK and experienced the continental food in Indian 5 star hotels are excellent, hence the foreign player shouldn't be complaining either.

As I am writing this I am getting a feeling that I would come across as a hater to the readers. Hence I want to clarify that I am in total support of IPL from season one (I was at the ground on the eve of the inauguration, busy drinking all the free booze). Despite all their flaws, I credit BCCI for running a tight ship when it comes to IPL, (getting foreign players, bullying ICC for dedicated slot every year etc.). If the previous points don't convince you, I am an RCB fan. You are free to look up my previous posts on that.

IPL was a good distraction from all the grim reality of India. It was also another topic of conversation with friends and colleagues. Lastly, RCB was on top. Man we just can't catch a break.

Sources:
https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...ubble-7303038/

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...e-3713558.html

Last edited by mac187 : 7th May 2021 at 14:57.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 15:44   #3257
Senior - BHPian

BCCI to conduct remaining matches of VIVO IPL in UAE considering the monsoon season in India in the months of September-October this year.

Quote:
The BCCI SGM further authorised the Office Bearers to seek an extension of time from the ICC to take an appropriate call on the hosting of ICC T20 World Cup 2021.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 19:26   #3258
Senior - BHPian

BCCI announces schedule for remainder of VIVO IPL 2021 in UAE. The 14th season, will resume on 19th September in Dubai with the final taking place on 15th October.

The IPL Thread-20210725_192254.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:36   #3259
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

In all this we missed the news that IPL will be a ten team affair now, BCCI has invited bidders for two new teams for next season.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:04   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
In all this we missed the news that IPL will be a ten team affair now, BCCI has invited bidders for two new teams for next season.
The "Circus" is certainly going to get bigger if not 'better'. BCCI with all its might will somehow manage to disrupt international tour schedules and carve out a longer IPL window.

Last edited by Emvi : 3rd September 2021 at 11:09.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:44   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
One is definitely ahmedabad and second will be as per rumours Lucknow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
The "Circus" is certainly going to get bigger if not 'better'. BCCI with all its might will somehow manage to disrupt international tour schedules and carve out a longer IPL window.
Do tell me how the biggest league in Cricket world is exactly a Circus?

It gives players chance to make it into Indian team, even if they don't then also they get good income source and are set for life. If not for IPL they will still be struggling in domestic circle and won't get in radar of selectors easily. Without IPL we will never get a Rishabh Pant or a Suryakumar Yadav playing for India.

Cricket boards world over make time for IPL as their players get good money and they themselves get a cut of 10%. No board is doing a charity letting its players play in IPL. Looking at IPL and how successful it is now we have CPL, PSL, NatWest T20 blast, Big bash league, Lanka premier league, Bangladesh premier league etc, maybe these countries also enjoy the so called 'Circus'.

Not to mention BCCI makes great revenue from IPL which they are using in building more stadiums along with the funding for Women's cricket team and now even domestic players get good amount of money.

Look at NZ, they can't host more than 2 tests cos lack of funding and hosting more tests costs lot of money. England, India and Australia host as many as they want cos of their T20 league making money for them.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd September 2021 at 11:45.
harry10 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:55   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do tell me how the biggest league in Cricket world is exactly a Circus?
Wow! This was least expected, honestly. I am not sure if CIRCUS is such a demeaning term, more so for an event like IPL. A few words on this before I move onto the 'cricketing' topic. We all know IPL is not just 'plain' cricket and there is a lot more to it- teams/players bidding process, branding, promotional video shoots, marketing, merchandising, mega sponsorships, charity events, glitz and glamour, IPL nights(now banned) and the list grows. IPL is one of the biggest sporting extravaganzas in the world and I see no wrong in terming the "whole" IPL package a "circus". Well, this is my opinion. And this what Faf thinks of IPL circus.

And before someone jumps the gun, let me admit I am a fan of IPL and I watch/follow each and every match religiously.

Now coming to the cricketing perspective, I agree with almost all the points that you have made, but then, I do have my apprehensions. Thus, BETTER in inverted commas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
The "Circus" is certainly going to get bigger if not 'better'
1. The Scheduling- With teams facing each other twice in the tournament and 2 more new teams in the fray, the IPL will be longer than ever, meaning International fixtures(mainly test cricket) 'might' get sacrificed. More the number of teams, more the opportunities for upcoming players, true. The 4th edition of IPL had 10 teams contesting, I remember. However, we have seen more and more players ditching their national duties in favour of the IPL. If this is what people want, who am I to complain? Call me old school, I love test cricket more.

2. IPL performance based player selection policy for test matches- Is Ashwin a victim of this?
Is Ajinkya Rahane not the Test player that he was before because of trying to be a better IPL player? I don't know.

Even in the pre-IPL era, BCCI was probably richest cricket board, IPL has only brought more riches. I am actually in awe of BCCI's clout in the world of cricket. Adding two more IPL teams is great and maybe a few more teams in the future. But, why can't we have teams divided into 2 groups, playing each other within the respective groups? This way the schedule can be compacted. Too much commercial implications to do so? Maybe. IPL definitely has revolutionized cricket big-time. IPL needs to flourish, at the same time 'cricket' needs to stay alive. Yes, there are multiple cricket leagues all over the world. But how many Indian players feature in those leagues? One? None? Budding Indian cricketers playing in alien conditions would have done a world of good to them. Probably BCCI thinks it's not worth a 'circus'.

Now that I have answered you, as cliched it might sound- you are free to disagree with my views.

Last edited by Emvi : 3rd September 2021 at 18:58.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:43   #3263
BHPian

After his decision to step down as captain of India T20i, Virat Kohli has decided to step down from RCB captaincy. Good decision imho, but should not have been done mid season.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...after-ipl-2021

Edit: He will step down after the IPL 2021.

Last edited by sahil624 : 19th September 2021 at 22:47.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:45   #3264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in - Kohli will step down as RCB captain after this season!
I think it's a good move since he can focus on his batting across all formats and should benefit from the lessened workload. After all we need him to continue to be the best batsman in the world so that team performances (for india and RCB/any other IPL team that he may play for in future) revolve around him, hopefully for the next 5 years or so.

Edit: apparently Kohli mentioned he will not play for any other IPL franchise other than RCB. Hope they do retain him after the mega auction next year.

Edit 2:as an RCB, India and Kohli fan, I wish and hope (selfishly and greedily of course) that Kohli wins the IPL for RCB and the T20I world cup for India and steps down having won all as captain. May the force be with him.

Last edited by NPV : 19th September 2021 at 23:08.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 23:00   #3265
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank God!!!

Such a relief as RCB supporter, he has been below average as captain, and his team selection has cost us umpteen number of matches. Hopefully who ever is picked as new captain can turn the ship around.

That said I hope he signs off on a high and wins the IPL as a captain once.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:15   #3266
Senior - BHPian

What a match it was for CSK fans last night

Had lost hope after that initial collapse and we were thinking all out for 70-80 runs. But what a turnaround it was.

Good match \m/
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:50   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Natarajan is positive for Covid, 6 others isolated. Match in the evening will go ahead as scheduled.
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:40   #3268
Distinguished - BHPian

Player tests positive. Match to go on. Shouldn’t abandoning the game would have been a better option?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:51   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Player tests positive. Match to go on. Shouldn’t abandoning the game would have been a better option?

Maybe if it was a test match. But this is a T20 match, that too the IPL, out of which everyone involved milks profits. Imagine the team members abandoned the match in England for the physio testing positive. Sure, each player would have been close enough to other players for covid to spread.
Ragavsr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:58   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

Maybe if it was a test match. But this is a T20 match, that too the IPL, out of which everyone involved milks profits. Imagine the team members abandoned the match in England for the physio testing positive. Sure, each player would have been close enough to other players for covid to spread.
You’re right on the point…or rather right on the money
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks