Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2023, 10:05   #3526
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

I think even if MI could have done this change in captaincy next season. Rohit lead MI pretty well over the years. While he did have slump in form, it seems the change in his approach in WC would have easily carried into IPL as well. And removing him from captaincy when he is already down having lost a WC final after playing so well in all matches can be disheartening, unless Rohit himself wanted less pressure and opted out.
Old 16th December 2023, 11:18   #3527
BHPian

Interesting developments at MI. Everyone knew Hardik would assume the throne, but not expected this much early especially by replacing their most successful captain. Now it would be interesting to see how Bumrah and SKY’s approach given both had an eye on the captaincy.
Old 16th December 2023, 12:30   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
This is some news!!
Hardik Pandya replaces Rohit Sharma as Mumbai Indians captain. Although there were hints, I did not expect the captaincy to switch hands this early.
Everyone was surprised. The expectation was Rohit would lead in 24 and Pandya would take over in 25. Gives pandya time to settle in mi. But this move would cause more friction. Already there is controversy about this backdoor transfer. I doubt there will be genuine acceptance from MI players with Pandyas captaincy
Old 16th December 2023, 13:28   #3529
BHPian

I was expecting captaincy to be passed to Bumrah, who has proved himself to be calm leader in whatever opportunity he got.

This move does not seem to have been blessed by Rohit otherwise he would have shown support to avoid social media negativity by some fans.
Old 16th December 2023, 15:03   #3530
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
I was expecting captaincy to be passed to Bumrah, who has proved himself to be calm leader in whatever opportunity he got.
Bumrah has only captained India in a few inconsequential T20s. Now compare that to Hardik who's won an IPL trophy & was a finalist last season, its another matter that he had a very good team at his disposal. It was no secret that Hardik would eventually captain MI once they traded him in but nobody expected it to happen so soon. Just shows how ruthless MI management is! They let go off Cameron Green on whom they spent a lot at the auctions.

Quote:
This move does not seem to have been blessed by Rohit otherwise he would have shown support to avoid social media negativity by some fans.
MI does not need the blessings of Rohit for any move. Its the MI Management which dictates to the player not the other way round like it tends to happen in the National Team setup.
Old 16th December 2023, 15:58   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile adding to the confusion and drama, SKY posts a heartbreak pic on social media

MI lose 4Lakh subscribers, fans are burning mi flags. It's all happening.
Old 16th December 2023, 16:23   #3532
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune dropped Dhoni as captain, this is corporate world only aim is to win the cup, sharma was on decline and this is a good move. The only corporate who does not want to win seems to be of RCB, who have held to VK and build a team around him to loose year on year.

RCB fan here.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 19:25   #3533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The only corporate who does not want to win seems to be of RCB, who have held to VK and build a team around him to loose year on year.

RCB fan here.
Neither a fan of IPL nor of RCB.

But I find your analysis to be spot on. If mutual loyalty needed a bad advertiser, the VK-RCB bond would ace the brief!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 21:16   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Pune dropped Dhoni as captain, this is corporate world only aim is to win the cup, sharma was on decline and this is a good move. The only corporate who does not want to win seems to be of RCB, who have held to VK and build a team around him to loose year on year.

RCB fan here.
I knew you are going to produce a RCB jibe
MI management has gone bonkers. Rohit won them 5 IPL trophies. He didn't deserve this kinda treatment. He was clearly heartbroken on world cup final loss and then MI stabs him in the back. Captaincy change would have been fine with most fans if it was Bumrah who has been their loyalist since his debut and SKY who is the best t20 bat in the world and not a bad captain in his limited outings. Obviously they would expect captaincy to pass onto them once Rohit gives up.

Hardik bad mouths MI when he moves to GT and MI buys him back and makes him captain
I hope Bumrah and SKY look to move away from MI in next mega auction. No need to be loyal to a team when opportunity is what they seek. Although MI must be paying them both handsomely under the table otherwise no way they both would have stayed with MI at their current price.

BTW most people know GT success is mostly because of Ashish Nehra. Lesse if Hardik can achieve anything like that with MI. In any case hardik is always magically fit for IPL.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 22:33   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Lesse if Hardik can achieve anything like that with MI. In any case hardik is always magically fit for IPL.
Hardik is an opportunistic person who is not looking to play cricket but fund his luxuries when he retires early. This move will backfire from a support perspective. Hitman has more following than Hardik Pandya. There are news of fans burning MI jerseys post this news. Surely Bhumrah is been paid or been "taken care" by the Ambanis. Surprising that someone like Mukesh did not understand succession planning. Somewhere even my support is now wavering towards CSK. It is a master stroke to continue with Dhoni, when there are generation changes happening in all other IPL teams.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 16th December 2023 at 22:38.
Old 16th December 2023, 23:07   #3536
BHPian

Indian fans expect captaincy to be a divine right that has been to be with an individual forever. Please think non-emotionally and people will then understand the reason behind the decision.

There have been players who have overstayed in Indian cricket team and in IPL teams due to this emotional stuff and Indian cricket only suffers due to that.

Case in point : Shreya Iyer. He struggles to manage short balls in ODIs but continues to find a spot in Test Cricket!
Old 17th December 2023, 13:51   #3537
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
MI management has gone bonkers. Rohit won them 5 IPL trophies. He didn't deserve this kinda treatment. He was clearly heartbroken on world cup final loss and then MI stabs him in the back.
This is Franchisee/Club Cricket ! Rohit hasn't been in the best form in IPL, neither has he won them any IPL trophies in last few years. Ambani's being a large corporate house are running it like a business. I guess they have to be unemotional about it, not sure how the cricketers will be taking it. And this is what makes IPL superior. Everybody knows that there is no logic implied with National Team Selection.

Quote:
Hardik bad mouths MI when he moves to GT and MI buys him back and makes him captain
Not sure when this happened. Just that he didn't praise MI. Its another matter that they had to let go of Green to accommodate Hardik.

Quote:
No need to be loyal to a team when opportunity is what they seek.
RCB has done a video I believe around loyalty. Its no secret how many IPL trophies they've won! But thats ok as the owners might be happy with the money they're making & not winning any IPL trophy.

Quote:
BTW most people know GT success is mostly because of Ashish Nehra.
Sometimes I feel Nehra is given too much credit than what he deserves. Same applies for Hardik. GT were blessed with a good team with most bases covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Hardik is an opportunistic person who is not looking to play cricket but fund his luxuries when he retires early. This move will backfire from a support perspective.
Hardik also realises that & he's trying to make the most of it. I don't see anything wrong in that! He's a sort of a unicorn in India. And this is Franchisee Cricket at the end of the day!

Quote:
There are news of fans burning MI jerseys post this news.
Some are breaking their JIO sims.

Quote:
Surprising that someone like Mukesh did not understand succession planning.
MI is one of the few franchisees which understands what their doing. Its also important to be dispassionate sometimes. Pollard hung up his boots in the IPL as he was under performing. MI gave him a chance in some other part of world. They invested in Green, Tim David & Brewis thinking long term. And they knew they wouldn't be winning a few IPL's as they were building a team for the future.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 15:00   #3538
BHPian

I believe this whole Rohit-Hardik-MI saga is brilliantly done marketing move.

I for one was once a big IPL fan, and reached a point where I didn't see any match last season. I was not at all interested in any IPL and was not planning to watch or follow this season.

After the WC final defeat, many in my friend circle told they lost interest in cricket itself. I am sure it's the same with many others too.

This particular news however made a ripple in the cricket fan world for sure. Even I got some interst to see how this unfolds. Fans will be eager to watch all MI matches (any combination of Rohit & Pandya : Rohit under Pandya or Rohit Vs Pandia).
Old 19th December 2023, 23:56   #3539
BHPian

I feel I should have continued to play cricket and not got into IT. One season of IPL would be more than my decade of savings by staring at a laptop, attending teams meeting and looping people in emails! Many of us must be thinking on the same lines.

We may see many cricketers buying new cars now, definitely Pat Cummins and Starc will get to buy the most expensive ones
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 01:25   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
We may see many cricketers buying new cars now, definitely Pat Cummins and Starc will get to buy the most expensive ones
For all I know, with the 20.5 & 24.75 crores in their kitty, Pat James Cummins and Mitchell Aaron Starc have actually bought SRH and KKR respectively, and not the other way round!
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks