Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 11:29   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Thanks getsurya, Anup,

I spoke to the *** guy, he has asked me to bring the car on tuesday.

He is also of the opinion that the issue is with the setting of the clutch.

This is my third new vehicle but I never faced so may issues in the last 10 years of ownership with the other 2 vehicles that I have face in 4 months of owning the mHawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Anupji is correct(as always!!)

I had a similiar issue and got it rectified at ASC. What I was made to understand was that it is not whether the clutch is half or full engaged but howmuch of the Hydraulic pin is engaged, which causes this shuddering/stalling.

Mupreti, please revisit your ASC and let them correct it for you. I also suggest that have another mHawk/scorp owner(who loves his car like all of us do) in your city drive and validate your car once.As I feel that your car might not be a lemon after all!!

Last edited by m_upreti : 14th February 2009 at 11:43.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:11   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
This is my third new vehicle but I never faced so may issues in the last 10 years of ownership with the other 2 vehicles that I have face in 4 months of owning the mHawk.
Upreti, sympathies for what you are having to go through.
Perhaps this is how/where our home grown makers are soooo different from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc...

Like McDonalds used to say: We sell 4 million burgers every day, but we fully understand that for YOU it is only the one YOU get that matters!
There's really no point trying to 'console' you by saying you are having to suffer the one-off rare cases and bla bla....
You seem to have got a lemon and M&M ought to be ashamed of themselves!
If they redress your problem without causing you any further anguish, that would be a saving grace.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:22   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anup, Thanks..I agree with with you.

Lets see what happens in this visit, last visit I got a free new gear box, and front bushes, and lot of grime & grease in the interiors.

The car already looks a couple of years old from the inside..all in 5 months, outside is in my hands so, spotless till now.

I have a double whammy on this as I brought the car agains the wishes of the family so my agony aunt is TBHP and experts like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Upreti, sympathies for what you are having to go through.
Perhaps this is how/where our home grown makers are soooo different from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc...

Like McDonalds used to say: We sell 4 million burgers every day, but we fully understand that for YOU it is only the one YOU get that matters!
There's really no point trying to 'console' you by saying you are having to suffer the one-off rare cases and bla bla....
You seem to have got a lemon and M&M ought to be ashamed of themselves!
If they redress your problem without causing you any further anguish, that would be a saving grace.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:32   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
...and lot of grime & grease in the interiors.

The car already looks a couple of years old from the inside..all in 5 months, outside is in my hands so, spotless till now.
Please do make a lot of noise about this and make it a point to show it to the DGM, Service.
They ought to give a free interior cleaning!
Old 14th February 2009, 17:39   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Upreti: while prima facie it seems to be a clutch issue, I feel when they installed the new gearbox, they did not align it properly, hence these weird vibrations. The shaft and engine alignment along with that of gearbox has to perfect and in a line. A minor deviation and the vibrations start. This will ultimately affect the coupling and flange and you'll have a broken shaft one day.

I would also suggest getting the engine mounts and the tranny mounts checked thoroughly..
Old 16th February 2009, 13:29   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Hi gd, Thanks for the inputs, will take care when I visit the A.S.S. tomorrow.

I have sent mail to Mahindra also detailing my woes. Now the current list of issues is as follows:

1.Viberations in the Car

2.The vehicle in low speeds at times appears to stall even when the clutch is pressed while braking. Its seems to be some issue with the adjustment of the hydraulic pin of the clutch.

3.The gear stick become very hot after driving for a few kms.

4.The tire iron & the nut opener provided with the jack do not fit, when I tried to jack up the vehicle the tire iron did not fit into the hole provided in the nut opener as a result I was unable to raise the car to remove the wheel using the accessories provided.

5.At times the key is not turning in the ignition, I have to struggle to make it turn and start the car.

6.During the replacement of the gear box, the car became so dirty from the inside that it looks years old, there are grease spots on the seats, on the plastic and scratches all over in the plastic work. The carpet which would have been removed during the operation has not been fitted back properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Upreti: while prima facie it seems to be a clutch issue, I feel when they installed the new gearbox, they did not align it properly, hence these weird vibrations. The shaft and engine alignment along with that of gearbox has to perfect and in a line. A minor deviation and the vibrations start. This will ultimately affect the coupling and flange and you'll have a broken shaft one day.

I would also suggest getting the engine mounts and the tranny mounts checked thoroughly..
Old 16th February 2009, 13:55   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Well! Nothing much that can be said except the following!

No. 3: Very disturbing! Certainly needs to be looked at. How did you ever notice this?!

No. 5: Maybe the steering lock is jamming? This is not really a fault. Simply turn the steering wheel to and fro a bit simultaneously while trying to turn the key. This happens in practically all cars, not just Scorpios.
Or are you facing some other problem?
Old 16th February 2009, 14:10   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anup,

No3. I have this strange habit of sometimes not using the gear shift knob, and shifting using the stick, probably a subconcious habit picked up when I learnt driving in a 80's jeep which had a missing gear lever knob, as it would be stolen as soon it was replaced and the screwed stick head was not too comfortable to use.

I noticed it immediately after the gear box change but was too preoccupied to raise it to the A.S.S.

No 5. - I think it might be the streering lock that is jamming, but lock issue gets resolved when u move the steering, but on Saturday it wouldnt budge whatever I tried with the steering wheel, and only after 10 mts of struggling I was able to make the key turn. The same was the issue today morning.

My Scorpio has a eerie analogy to our first colour TV we brought back in '86, the company (UPTRON) literally replace every part within a span of 2 months but it still would not work properly. Finally the company decided to replace the set with an CBU Toshiba which it was importing and selling under its brand name.

Quote:
Well! Nothing much that can be said except the following!

No. 3: Very disturbing! Certainly needs to be looked at. How did you ever notice this?!

No. 5: Maybe the steering lock is jamming? This is not really a fault. Simply turn the steering wheel to and fro a bit simultaneously while trying to turn the key. This happens in practically all cars, not just Scorpios.
Or are you facing some other problem?
Old 18th February 2009, 15:49   #1239
BHPian

m_upreti,
1. Steering lock jamming, get your ignition switch checked. There is a push mechanism, where you push in the key and then turn (while moving the steering) to unlock. Sometimes, this can get stuck and not go in (if there is dirt in the mechanism). When you take the key out make sure the centre part of the steering/ignition combo lock pops out properly.

2. Gearbox: Hot stick & vibrations, are definitely because of poor workmanship. It has not been mounted properly. Needs to be attended to ASAP.

3. Stalling: There is a clutch sensor switch just behind the clutch pedal. If this is faulty or not making proper contact (it sometimes gets sticky), the ECU thinks the car is still in gear and hence you tend to stall. Try this. Rev the car in first gear, quickly switch to second and then to neutral (while braking). See if it stalls, even if the car is in neutral - that's a sure shot sign of a sticky clutch sensor. It's happened to many of us.

Or this could also be related to your gearbox fitment (not sure how).
Other things to check:
Clutch slave cylinder and boot. Fluid. Master cylinder -- but all these would have symptoms like a hard clutch.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2009, 11:54   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Dear Roshun,
Thanks for the valuable inputs, these will be handy when I visit the A.S.S. this week end or next week.

I think your analysis of the issues is correct, but my sore point is that it is happening with a 5 month old car.

- Steering Lock jamming is not happening for the last 2 days now.
- Stick still gets hot and viberates
- Feeling of stalling is still there every time i climb my first floor parking
ramp.
The clutch behaves normally so not an issue there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
m_upreti,
1. Steering lock jamming, get your ignition switch checked. There is a push mechanism, where you push in the key and then turn (while moving the steering) to unlock. Sometimes, this can get stuck and not go in (if there is dirt in the mechanism). When you take the key out make sure the centre part of the steering/ignition combo lock pops out properly.

2. Gearbox: Hot stick & vibrations, are definitely because of poor workmanship. It has not been mounted properly. Needs to be attended to ASAP.

3. Stalling: There is a clutch sensor switch just behind the clutch pedal. If this is faulty or not making proper contact (it sometimes gets sticky), the ECU thinks the car is still in gear and hence you tend to stall. Try this. Rev the car in first gear, quickly switch to second and then to neutral (while braking). See if it stalls, even if the car is in neutral - that's a sure shot sign of a sticky clutch sensor. It's happened to many of us.

Or this could also be related to your gearbox fitment (not sure how).
Other things to check:
Clutch slave cylinder and boot. Fluid. Master cylinder -- but all these would have symptoms like a hard clutch.

Cheers,
Old 24th February 2009, 10:29   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio-Free check up!

Hi Guys,
I had the opportunity to attend the M&M free check up which was conducted from 19th to 21st Feb in Hyd.
The ASC had stopped the regular service vehicles(except emergencies) on these three days. It was a good experience as they checked all the vital points(75 according to them!!) thoroughly and did all oil toppings.

My scorpio had the following observations/corrections,
1. Clutch bleeding.
2.TPMS spare wheel sensor failure, replaced under warranty
3. Ski racks and foot boards tightened. Ski racks were slightly loose and this was making some odd noise at around 1500rpm or so. The noise was felt by me as coming from the front!!
4. My mHawk had this problem of sucking in bad odour or smoke(when some thing is burning on the road side!) even in re-circulation mode of a/c. The M&M a/c mechanic checked everything in detail and identified the problem to 'gammets'(could not catch well beyond that. what it meant was the rubber pads through which the wires/cables pass into the cabin had gaps). This was corrected and then they lit a 'agarbathi' to see if the car smells nice inside too!! it did not suck the smell inside the cabin, much to my delight!

Any body else had any experiences, please share.

Mods, if this is OT on this thread, I am happy to start another thread for the same.

Last edited by getsurya : 24th February 2009 at 10:34.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:38   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Pals, where are you all?
Raj, where are thou?
Old 24th February 2009, 15:43   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pals, where are you all?
Raj, where are thou?
Right here!
I am missing Raj, though! Long time no see!

As for the 'Winter Camp', I had gone for it here, about a month back.
Nothing to be done on my car! They did not do 75 checks for sure!

My odo has just crossed 19k, LOL!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:10   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anupji, nice to hear from you. congrats for crossing 19k. I have crossed 12k in last 6 months of my mHawk ownership!
I am sure they did not do the 75point check up on my car too. However, my M&M pal in Hyd ensured that my Scorpio got all its royal pampering from the workshop floor. Even the local ASC people(right from the GM-service and the mech who works on my car regularly) know how I take care of my car, so no problem on that front!!
Old 24th February 2009, 20:19   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pals, where are you all?
Raj, where are thou?
Quote:
Right here!
I am missing Raj, though! Long time no see!
hello mates, i am alive!!!

nice to hear that anup sir.

i am regular in this forum but i am not able to post much as i am a bit busy these days. i am the in-charge of my college fest, so a bit occupied on that.

but i will be back in FULL FORM after 22nd of march, thats when the fest ends.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks