Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:43   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Surya, if it's just to protect your err.. behind , why go for a tow hook? Would suggest you get a strong rear guard fabricated or get one off the shelf (if you find a design that appeals) - paint it the colour of your truck if you think that helps.
The hook is quite inexpensive.
There is no point protecting a bumper with a guard that costs almost as much! Anything that looks halfway decent costs same as or more than the bumper!
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:08   #1217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

there is a metal cross bar under the bumper which is part of the chassis itself. this pintle hook is connected to that using two solid bolts.
no danger of coming off unless one tries to tow something extremely heavy. I think it can handle load of upto 1 ton or so. But LOW GEAR and no high speed acceleration please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, i think its connected to the chassis itself... anup sir, razor or roshun can help.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:27   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont know the exact rating figures but this may give you an idea.

A normal 2WD scorpio/ bolero can easily tow another vehicle of the same type.

Ive personally towed a number of maruti 800's and Omnis which had gotten stuck, using my 2WD Bolero fitted with the Mahindra Heavy Duty Towhook, in the floods of 2005 in Bangalore.
Once when my Bolero Diesel pump was clogged a Service Scorpio easily towed the Bolero to the workshop - around 5 km distance.

I also know for a fact that a Scorpio 4WD with the rear ball type PINTLE HOOK can tow a normal jeep trailer fully loaded with about 600-800 Kgs of Coffee - I ve seen it being used this way.
Thanks, any official numbers from Mahindra? I am thinking more like long distance towing on a regular basis.

For reference, a Jeep Cherokee/Liberty with 2.8 diesel can tow about 6000 lbs rated which is 2.7 tons. The Scorpio is a little bit smaller vehicle than that so it should be able to do 2 tons.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:31   #1219
Senior - BHPian

I personally do not like the rear bumpers for my ride as it makes the scorp look very out of shape!! Also the tow hook is something which is an utility item other than protecting the rear to some extent!
Old 6th February 2009, 11:16   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Friends,
Yesterday I have got Nitrogen filled up in my Scorp's tyres. This is done at one of my friends place which deals with Alloys & tyres. I went and inspected the equipment, really good and assures you the 95% Nitrogen for tyres. Fully automated and no loading from local cylinders etc.
So took the decision and got the tyres filled with Nitrogen.
The differences I noticed are
1. The ride quality is smoother
2. The car just glides now on bad roads with lesser bumps. Infact the shop owner pal forced me to take a ride post filling and we were taking the car over the manhole covers(above the road level) and bad patches.
3. The car also feels lighter
4. When on some open stretches, the car is put in neutral the distance covered in the 'glide' has increased than earlier!!!

This as per my friend will last for 3 months before a refill for any loss of air pressure!!

Any inputs from you would be welcomed!
Old 6th February 2009, 11:26   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Any inputs from you would be welcomed!
Surya, there is already a thread running on this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...trogen-24.html
Old 6th February 2009, 11:36   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Anup ji, thanks for the direction. I have posted the update there too!
Old 6th February 2009, 17:05   #1223
Senior - BHPian

whats the cost involved surya?
Old 6th February 2009, 17:13   #1224
Senior - BHPian

The shop charges 10 rupees per tyre...however I got it for free as he is a friend of mine
Old 9th February 2009, 10:40   #1225
BHPian

OT: Haven't you met Pakistani reporter Chand Nawab yet?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1163550

This thread is for sharing Scorpio pictures.....despite that I am writing this post because I wish you could start your day with a laughter.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 11th February 2009, 12:44   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Problem / Paranoia

Hi ,

For the past some time (ever since the gear box replacement) i am feeling that my Scorpio is viberating like a tuning fork and the vibetrations are felt on all the pedels and the body.

The gear shift shivers in all gears (earlier it was only the third), and the response of the vehiche is not what it used to be, it seems to be sluggish.

I am not sure if it is related to the gear box change or it is something else; can the experts give some inputs before I visit the dealership again.
Old 11th February 2009, 16:31   #1227
Senior - BHPian

i think these mahindra guys cant handle gearboxes.
they had opened my gearbox to check the vibration in third gear, when my vehicle was new, only to say that its present in every mHawk! after that, sometimes when i brake to come to a halt & keep the clutch depressed, the vehicle shivers as if i am not pressing the clutch & it is going to stall. it happens for around 2 seconds & then its normal. its happens very very rarely though & hence cant show the problem to the A.S.S.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:19   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj, This is exactly another problem apart from the total viberations I face sometimes, it is happening sometimes during braking & when I try to climb up the ramp to my first floor parking, even though the clutch is half pressed the vehicle feels it is going to stall.

I seriously feel now that I have wasted my money and I am struck with the vehicle for another 5 yrs or so, I have faced so many issues already when the car is only 5 months old I shiver to think what will happen when it becomes old.

After lodging so many complaints with Mahindra I dont feel like lodging another one. Last time they replaced a few parts including the gear box, this time they might just decide to open this gear box and only God knows what will happen next.

Quote:
i think these mahindra guys cant handle gearboxes.
they had opened my gearbox to check the vibration in third gear, when my vehicle was new, only to say that its present in every mHawk! after that, sometimes when i brake to come to a halt & keep the clutch depressed, the vehicle shivers as if i am not pressing the clutch & it is going to stall. it happens for around 2 seconds & then its normal. its happens very very rarely though & hence cant show the problem to the A.S.S.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:26   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i... sometimes when i brake to come to a halt & keep the clutch depressed, the vehicle shivers as if i am not pressing the clutch & it is going to stall. it happens for around 2 seconds & then its normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
... to climb up the ramp to my first floor parking, even though the clutch is half pressed the vehicle feels it is going to stall.
This sounds like a problem with the hydraulic clutch settings/adjustments.
Does not seem to be a gearbox issue.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:38   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Anupji is correct(as always!!)

I had a similiar issue and got it rectified at ASC. What I was made to understand was that it is not whether the clutch is half or full engaged but howmuch of the Hydraulic pin is engaged, which causes this shuddering/stalling.

Mupreti, please revisit your ASC and let them correct it for you. I also suggest that have another mHawk/scorp owner(who loves his car like all of us do) in your city drive and validate your car once.As I feel that your car might not be a lemon after all!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks